Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Announcements
September 29-30, 2017 – 10 Tishrei 5778
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Renee & Josh Seidemann to thank Barbara Price, Josh Breitstein and the YISE Staff on the front lines and behind the scenes for their help with Avishai's Bar Mitzvah.
* Rebbetzin Yocheved Anemer on the birth of a great-granddaughter to Rachel & Shmuli Weber of Lakewood, NJ.
* Craig Gordon on the passing of his father, Sheldon Meites Gordon.
* Avi Strum on the passing of his father, Stephen Strum. The funeral and Shiva were held before Rosh Hashanah.
Yom Kippur Schedule
Erev Yom Kippur, Friday, September 29:
* Mincha 3:00
* Light Candles by 6:35
* Kol Nidre 6:40
Yom Kippur, Shabbos, September 30:
* Shacharis 8:00 (All locations)
* Yizkor 10:45 (10:00 Nusach Sefard)
* Havdalah 7:32
Sukkos Schedule (First Half)
Erev Sukkos, Wednesday, October 4:
* Eruv Tavshilin
* Light Candles by 6:27
* Mincha: 6:30
* Maariv: 7:00 (Sephardi: following Mincha)
* Kiddush after 7:26
First Day Sukkos, Thursday, October 5:
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45
Sephardi: 8:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Sephardi: 6:25 Nusach Sefard: 6:30
* Maariv: 6:55 (All locations)
* Light Candles / Kiddush after 7:24
(No preparations shall be done before this time.)
Second Day Sukkos, Friday, October 6:
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45
Sephardi: 8:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
* Light Candles by 6:24
Sephardi: 6:20 Nusach Sefard: 6:25
Shabbos Chol Hamoed Sukkos, October 7:
Arcola: 6:45, 8:00, 8:45
Sephardi: 8:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 6:20
Sephardi: 6:15 Nusach Sefard: 6:20
* Maariv/Havdalah: 7:21
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan and groups will resume on Sukkos.
The YISE Youth Annual Sukkah Hop – Please join YISE Youth on the first day of Sukkos, October 5 from 4:30 PM – 5:45 PM for children grades K-6th. Meet in the YISE Lower Lobby at 4:25 PM (weather permitting). Children younger than K can feel free to join with an adult present. For more info contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Save the Dates:
* October 12/13: Simchas Torah Candy and Flags
* October 22: Parshas Noach Petting Zoo
* October 28: Parshas Lech Lecha Warring Kings Chess and Checkers Night
YISE Programs and Listings
High Holiday Planning:
* The Nusach Sefard Minyan will meet in the G level party room of 1121 University Blvd. for Yom Kippur.
* Lulavim and Esrogim – YISE is working this year with Josh Breitstein to bring you the finest quality Arba Minim sets. The order deadline has passed. Volunteers are needed to help. Pickup will be at YISE on Monday October 2 and Tuesday October 3 from 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM.
* Help Build the Shul's Sukkah – It is a big Mitzvah to help build the Shul's Sukkah, especially for people who plan to use it. Please join us this Sunday, October 1, at 3:30 PM in front of the lower lobby to help. Contact Stuart Cohen 301-943-5153 or email@example.com for more information and/or to tell him you will participate.
* Hospitality – Once again it is our privilege to help bring people together for Yom Tov. We are recruiting both guests and hosts to participate in our YISE Sukkos Hospitality program. Please sign up as a guest or host by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
* YISE Women's Learning Initiative presents Simchas Torah morning learning for women, Friday, October 13, 10:15 AM -11:00 AM in the Belonofsky Sanctuary. Speakers are Mrs. Atara Rosenbaum, "We Will Offer the Words of Our Lips: The Connection Between Korbanos and Tefilah," and Mrs. Sharon Freundel, "Parshat Bereishit: A Fresh Look at the Serpent Story." For more information, contact Judy Rosenthal at 301-754-0470 or email@example.com
* The Nusach Sefard Minyan thanks Lew Sosnowik and an anonymous individual for sponsoring Kiddush before Shofar on Rosh Hashanah and on Shabbos Shuva.
Part-Time Teacher Assistant – Are you in college and looking for a part time job? Shomrai Nursery is seeking a Part-Time Teacher Assistant for the Pre K class, Monday – Friday from 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM. We are looking for an assistant teacher who wants to be a part of a collaborative team of professionals who work together to ensure developmentally appropriate practice in a warm, nurturing and creative setting. The position requires a high school diploma, ECE 90 Hour Course with experience preferred. Please send cover letter and resume to the attention of Ruthie Cohen at firstname.lastname@example.org
Living the Way You Want to Live as You Age – Learn pros and cons of staying in your home vs. moving to one of many local retirement community options; learn local service options available, whether or not you move; appreciate how to choose a program, facility, or service provider; get information on costs; gain insights on Jewish view on growing old and its challenges. Introduction by Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum. Speakers: Stuart Rosenthal, Publisher, The Beacon, and past Chair of MD Commission on Aging, and Alan Dubow, President, Nat'l Assoc. of Retirement Counselors. Sponsors: Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, YISE, KMS, SSJC, SEHC, Ohr Hatorah, and Chabad of Silver Spring. Sunday, October 22, 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM. YISE Social Hall.
SAVE THE DATE: Tech Cafe – Sunday, November 19, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will resume on October 15.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash – will resume on October 18.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony – will resume on October 18.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org – will resume on October 17.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM – will resume on October 22.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 7:00 AM – 7:45 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or email@example.com
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women on Sukko. Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Meseches Bava Basra, Wednesdays at 7:50 PM in the Social Hall – will resume on October 25.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays, 7:45 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash – will resume on October 22.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-313-4899 – will resume on October 23.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit www.dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Pirkei Avos Shiur at University Towers – will resume after Sukkos
Kemp Mill Pirchei – will resume after Sukkos.
LINKS – Share your passion, background, and knowledge to connect others to our rich heritage through Torah study! At the Bender JCC on Wednesday evenings 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM. For more information, contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps at 347-869-9361 or email@example.com
Tapping the Spiritual Richness and Avodah of Each Month in the Jewish Year – Presented by The Mesorah Women's Learning Institute, with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher. Mondays at 8:00 PM, at the home of Helene Goodman,10711 Stoneyhill Drive. For more information, contact Sorah Rivkah Goodman 301-681-6347.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – will resume after Sukkos.
How to Talk So Kids Will Listen, and Listen So Kids Will Talk – Six week parent workshop starts on Sunday, October 22. $100/person, $120/couple, all books included. To register, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-754-0470.
Yom Tov Appeals Sustain Community Safety Nets – Two Kemp-Mill-based foundations need your tax-deductible donations to meet increasing Yom Tov aid requests.
* Tomchei Shabbos of Greater Washington, currently assists over 225 individuals with the extra Shabbos and Yom Tov expenses. Your contribution will directly provide the extra help these individuals need for the upcoming Yomim Tovim and will enable them to celebrate with their families with the same simchas Yom Tov that we expect in our homes. To learn more or to make a donation, please visit http://yadyehuda.org
* The Franco Foundation needs your tax-deductible donations to meet increasing Yom Tov aid requests. The Foundation helps with essentials, like rent, mortgage, and utilities; mail to Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through Paypal with email@example.com
Food Drive for Capital Kosher Pantry of Yad Yehuda – Donations to the CKP of Kosher, shelf stable food in sealed, non-breakable containers help many in our community. Donations are welcome anytime, but are particularly meaningful during this Yom Tov season. When coming for Minyanim, Shiurim, and events, please remember that a CKP collection box is located in the lobby of our Shul. Pareve chocolate chips, oil, sugar, flour, granola bars, canned tuna, canned salmon, Rice Krispies, white rice, and oatmeal are very much appreciated.
BCGW Annual Hope and Healing Gala – Sunday, October 29 at 10:00 AM at Beth Sholom Congregation. Show your support for the organization that helps community members in their time of need and pay tribute to our exceptional volunteers. To register, visit www.bikurcholimgw.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday, October 1 Monday, October 2 Tuesday, October 3 Wed., Oct. 4 – Erev Sukkos Thurs., Oct. 5 – Sukkos Friday, Oct. 6 – Sukkos
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 See Sukkos schedule
Sephardi 7:30 6:10 6:15 6:15 See Sukkos schedule
Ashkenazi 6:35 6:35 6:35 See Sukkos schedule
Sephardi 6:30 6:30 6:30
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:18 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:00 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:28 PM
Sunday, October 22 Spaghetti Night, 5:30 PM, Social Hall
Sunday November 12 "Superhero" Community Blood Drive, 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM, Social Hall
Like YISE on Facebook: facebook.com/YIShomraiEmunah
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Tuesday, October 3 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday and Tuesday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Wednesday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Thursday and Friday – Closed
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager