Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Announcements
September 13-14, 2013 – 10 Tishrei 5774
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored by Frank and Minette Akman in gratitude to the community for their comfort on the loss of Minette's sister, Ruth Helen Montrose of Skokie, Illinois.
Yom Kippur Schedule
Erev Yom Kippur, Friday, September 13:
* Mincha 3:00
* Light Candles by 7:01
* Kol Nidre 7:05
Yom Kippur, Shabbos, September 14:
* Shacharis 8:00 (All locations)
* Yizkor 11:00 (10:30 Nusach Sefard)
* Havdalah 7:58
* Florence & Dr. Joel Avigan on the birth of a great-granddaughter to Sara & Yisroel Shulman of Israel.
* Charlotte Weill on the engagement of her grandson Dov Weill, son of Malky & Menachem of Baltimore, to Ariella Weinfeld of Chicago.
* Miriam & Jeff Zuckerman on the birth of a grandaughter, Malka Bracha, born to their children, Léa & Yakir Schechter, of Lower Merion, Pennsylvania. Mazal Tov to the big sisters, Penina and Batya.
* Dr. Howard Schulman on the passing of his father-in-law, Bernard Amernick, father of the late Sherrie Schulman.
Succos Schedule (First Half)
(All Minyanim without locations noted are at Arcola.)
Erev Succos, Wednesday, September 18:
* Eruv Tavshilin
* Light Candles by 6:53
* Mincha 6:55 (All locations)
* Maariv 7:25 (All locations)
* Kiddush after 7:51
First Day Succos, Thursday, September 19:
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:00 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 6:55 (All locations – Sephardi at 6:50)
* Maariv 7:25 (All locations)
* Light Candles/ Kiddush after 7:50 (No preparations shall be done before this time.)
Second Day Succos, Friday, September 20:
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:00 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Light Candles by 6:50
* Mincha/Maariv 6:50 (All locations – Sephardi at 6:45)
Shabbos Chol Hamoed Succos, September 21:
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 6:30 (Sephardi), 6:45
* Maariv/Havdalah 7:46
Please park on the Ben Yehuda side of the parking lot. The Shopping Center Management requests that YISE members abide by the parking agreement and not park on the CVS side. Thank you.
Like YISE on Facebook:
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE Succah Assembly – Help Build the Shul's Succah on Sunday, September 15 beginning at 3:45 PM. No tools or special skills are required. It is especially important to help if you plan to use the Succah. Contact Stuart Cohen at 301-943-5153 for more information.
YISE Sisterhood is seeking sponsors to subsidize the cost of the festive Simchas Torah Day Kiddush it annually provides at both the Arcola and University Blvd. branches of YISE. Sponsorships for the Kiddushes can be made in honor of loved ones or upcoming Simchas, in commemoration of Yahrzeits, or to simply show appreciation for the YISE community and YISE Sisterhood. Any sponsorship amount is greatly appreciated as costs for the "free" Kiddush are high and no "admission" is charged! Sponsorship checks should be made out to YISE Sisterhood and sent to Hedy Bauman, 1131 University Blvd. W., #610, or e-mail Ilana Branda at email@example.com to pledge a donation. Sponsors will be publicly acknowledged (unless otherwise noted). Additionally, YISE Sisterhood is seeking volunteers to assist with setting up and cleaning up the Simchas Torah kiddush. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you can volunteer.
Simchas Torah – The Simchas Torah Family Extravaganza will take place on Thursday evening, September 26. Join us for exciting singing, dancing, and delicious treats for the kids, and a special Kiddush provided by the Youth Department! For more details or sponsorship opportunities please contact alitwack@YISE.org.
We Need Your Email Address – YISE still has over 100 people who receive all Shul notices by snail mail. This costs the Shul additional money and staff time! Help us reduce these costs. Please go to www.yise.org/register to sign up or send your email address to email@example.com .
Job Assist Events:
* Computer Training Online – QuickBooks for Intermediate Users. Monday, September 30. Times, prerequisites, and register at www.oujobs.org.
* LinkedIn for Intermediate Users – Wednesday, October. 9, 1:00 PM – 2:30 PM, 200 Wood Hill Road, Rockville. Prerequisites and register at www.jssa.org.
Cleanup in Sligo Creek Park – Fun Chesed opportunity co-sponsored by YISE, KMS, & MJBHA Sunday, September 29, 1:00 PM and 3:00 PM. In conjunction with Friends of Sligo Creek, clean up the Kemp Mill Shopping Center Park/ Sligo Park. Meet at the entrance to Sligo Creek Park near Shalom's. Gloves and bags will be distributed. Upper School students may receive Community Service hours.For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett – 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall – Will not meet on Friday.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – Will resume on October 2.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash – Will resume on October 9.
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays following Mincha/Maariv at University – Will resume on October 2.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Join us as we continue the fascinating topic of "Dina D'malchusa Dina: The Intersection of Jewish and Secular Law." Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency. Thursdays, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM – Will resume on October 3.
YISE Youth Department's Annual Succah Hop! All parents and children Pre-K to 6th grade are encouraged to join us for this year's exciting Succah Hop! Please join us on Shabbos Chol Hamoed, September 21, at 4:00 PM at the YISE Arcola Succah to begin our journey, Rain or Shine. Come ready for delicious treats and lots of fun!
Community Programs and Listings
Yeshiva Boys are available to help Kemp Mill residents set up their Succahs. Call Rabbi Hes, 301-649-7077, ext. 1528, to make arrangements.
The Warwick Succah is back! New location by the pool deck. Volunteers needed for set up and take down. Please contact email@example.com or 301-593-4161.
Ropes Course on Chol Hamoed – The Adventure Park at Sandy Spring Friends School on Monday, September 23. Succah on premises. Discounted tickets $29+tax for 3 hours. Monkey Grove for ages 4 and up is $15+tax for 1 hour. Online tickets are available at www.sandyspringtrees.org/sukkot. Starting times for Monday, September 23rd: 9:00 AM, 9:30 AM, 10:00 AM, 10:30 AM, 11:15 AM. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Adventure Park at 240-389-4386.
High Holy Days Appeal – The Franco Foundation helps individuals and families pay for basic needs as they face a tough economy or manage with tragic emergencies. Please send your generous tax-deductible donation to the Franco Foundation c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street or through Paypal, at the email@example.com. You can also refer cases to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Shabbos and Yom Tov Program – Tough times are driving more people for financial assistance from the Tomchei Shabbos and Yom Tov program of the Yehudah Mond Foundation. For details on contributing by phone, mail, or internet go to http:// yehudamondfoundation.org/recurring_donations.asp.
Shaimos Alert – Some members of the community might have recently picked up a Jewish Artists of the Northeast calendar from ShopRite. Please note the June display has Shaimos in it. That page of art should be separated from the calendar and put in shaimos before discarding the calendar.
Mikvah Emunah Society is pleased to announce that the Woodside Keilim Mikvah is now back in service! It's located at the rear of 1305 Ballard Street, and the entrance is through the driveway. The Keilim Mikvah is open only during daylight hours.
Professional Clothing Drive – Donate your gently used professional clothes and accessories. Help men & women literally suit up for the office. For more information contact: email@example.com.
Over 50 and looking for work? The JCA is offering five new sessions of The Career Gateway. This program comprises 30 hours of small-group instruction for only $75! The first session begins September 23. For more information, contact Ellen Greenberg at 301-255-4215 or egreenberg@AccessJCA.org.
Melvin J. Berman Hebrew Academy is getting a new track! In order to build excitement for the project and help get the community out and running, please join us for a 5K Fun Run: Come on out try the new track by running a 5K with your friends and the community. Sunday, October 13, 9:00 AM. $54 entry fee and includes a t-shirt. 100% of collected fees will be used for the track upgrade. To sign up visit www.mjbha.org/Donations/Track_Events.cfm. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington Annual Event will take place on Sunday, October 20, at 10:00 AM at Beth Sholom. Honorees are Dr. Kurt Newman, Dr. Roger Packer and community service honoree, Mrs. Miriam Friedman. For more information and to make a reservation, please visit www.bikurcholimgw.org.
Do you know someone who is ill and could use support? Please contact Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington for assistance or to find out how to join our team. 202-331-4481 or email@example.com. We can assist with meals, transportation, visits, equipment, hospitality, guidance and small medical bills. All services are free and confidential.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, September 15 Monday, September 16 Tuesday, September 17 Wed., Sept. 18 Erev Succos Thur., Sept. 19 Succos Friday, Sept. 20 Succos
Arcola 6:00, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 See Succos Schedule
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15
Arcola 7:00 7:00 7:00 See Succos Schedule
University 7:00 N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:03 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:56 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:34 PM
Additional Hashomer Ad:
Best Wishes for a Happy, Healthy and Peaceful New Year
Florence & Larry Radkowsky and Family
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Tuesday, September 17, at 12 noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday and Tuesday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Wednesday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Thursday and Friday – Closed
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director