Yom Kippur – October 3-4, 2014
Download the October 3-4, 2014 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Announcements
October 3-4, 2014 – 10 Tishrei 5775
Yom Kippur Schedule
Erev Yom Kippur, Friday, October 3:
* Mincha 3:00
* Light Candles by 6:29
* Kol Nidre 6:30 (All locations)
Yom Kippur, Shabbos, October 4:
* Shacharis 8:00 (All locations)
* Yizkor 11:00 (10:30 Nusach Sefard)
* Havdalah 7:26
Sukkos Schedule (First Half)
Erev Sukkos, Wednesday, October 8:
* Eruv Tavshilin
* Light Candles by 6:21
* Mincha: 6:25 (All locations)
* Maariv: 6:55 (All locations)
* Kiddush after 7:20
First Day Sukkos, Thursday, October 9:
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30
Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 6:25 University: 6:25
Sephardi: 6:15 Nusach Sefard: 6:25
* Maariv: 6:50 (All locations)
* Light Candles / Kiddush after 7:19
(No preparations shall be done before this time.)
Second Day Sukkos, Friday, October 10:
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30
Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
* Light Candles by 6:18
Arcola: 6:20 University: 6:20
Sephardi: 6:15 Nusach Sefard: 6:20
Shabbos Chol Hamoed Sukkos, October 11:
Arcola: 6:45, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30
Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 6:15 University: 6:15
Sephardi: 6:00 Nusach Sefard: 6:15
* Maariv/Havdalah: 7:16
* Shaine Spolter on the birth of a grandson, Chaim Rephael, born to her children Tamar & Dr. Yonatan Spolter, of Cleveland.
YISE Programs and Listings
Help Erect the Shul Sukkah – Please participate in a Mitzvah, Sunday, October 5, at 10:00 AM. Bring a 3/16" allen wrench, if you have one. Contact Stuart Cohen at 301-943-5153.
Lulavim and Esrogim – Pick up location is Elli Chai's, 1319 Lamberton Drive (in the Kemp Mill Shopping Center next to the Shul). Pick up dates: October 5 – 8 (between Yom Kippur and Sukkos). Elli Chai's will be open next week 8:00 AM – 8:00 PM and on Erev Sukkos (Wednesday) 8:00 AM – 3:00 PM.
Sukkos Hospitality – If anyone is in need of Sukkos hospitality or is interested in hosting those without a Sukkah, please contact Rachelli Simon and Tuvia Lazar at email@example.com
Simchas Torah Evening Celebration – As in past years, we anticipate a wonderful night of celebration on Simchas Torah. Please consider making a donation of $18, $36. Please send your checks to the Shul office or pay on the Shul website with the notation "Youth Simchas Torah." Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Simchas Torah Daytime Kiddush – Join the YISE Social Committee in celebrating Simchas Torah with the YISE annual Simchas Torah Kiddush following services on October 17. Help sponsor our Kiddush: $100/$50/$36/$18. Volunteers needed to: set up / serve / clean up. Please contact email@example.com
Musical Minyanim – Starting Monday, October 6 the 7:35 Minyan will be held in the Belonofsky Sanctuary.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on topics in Jewish History on Monday, October 6, from 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – will resume on Sunday, October 26.
Medicine and Halacha: At the End of Life – Rabbi Rosenbaum and Dr. Theo Heller will discuss decisions about starting, continuing, and ending life support, and whom to consult on which decisions. Sponsored by the Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the Chesed committees of YISE, KMS, and SSJC. In the YISE Social Hall, Sunday, October 26, 10:30 AM – 12:00 Noon.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org . If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan and groups will resume on Sukkos.
The YISE Youth Sukkah Hop – Come join in the fun on Friday, October 10 for the annual YISE Youth Sukkah Hop! There will be 4 groups leaving from the YISE Sukkah at 3:30 PM and ending at the Sukkah at Ben Yehuda Pizza at 5:00 PM. Please arrive for drop off and pick up promptly as it is Erev Shabbos. The groups will be K-2nd grade boys, K-2nd grade girls, 3rd-6th grade boys, and 3rd-6th grade girls. If your child is below K, and would like to take part, they may do so with a parent chaperone.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – will only meet on Tuesday.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – will resume on October 22.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash – will resume on October 22.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – will resume on October 28.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com – will resume on October 21.
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM; Maariv to follow – regular program will resume on October 22.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men at University – will resume on October 29 at 7:00 PM.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the Small Social Hall – will resume on October 23.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha, and Sunday at 6:30 AM.
Women's Discussion Group – Shabbos afternoons, 5:30 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive, reading "Getting to Know Your Soul" by Rabbi Ittamar Schwartz, author of Bilvavi Mishkan Evneh.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM to 4:55 PM in the Yeshiva classrooms. To join our e-mail list, contact Ranon Cortell or Pinchas Werner at firstname.lastname@example.org
Toastmasters' Meeting – Will resume after Sukkos on October 22.
Yom Tov Appeals Sustain Community Safety Nets – Two Kemp-Mill-based foundations need your tax-deductible donations to meet increasing Yom Tov aid requests.
* The Yehuda Mond Foundation supplements its year-round Tomchei Shabbos program; contribute at www.tomcheishabbosgw.com
* The Franco Foundation helps with essentials, like rent, mortgage, and utilities; mail to Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through Paypal with email@example.com
Bikur Cholim Community Events:
* Taking Care of Your Aging Parent's (and your own) Finances – Join BCGW and Beth Sholom Sisterhood for an informative Eldercare Workshop.Sunday, October 19, 9:30 AM, Beth Sholom Congregation.
* Women's Health Series featuring sessions on a variety of topics led by experts in their fields. Our first workshop will focus on relaxation. "Managing Stress: The Tool Kit for Everyday Living", will teach the art and science of how to reduce stress and enhance well being using the basic strategies of Guided Imagery. Sunday, November 16, 10:00 AM at the Turitz Home, 504 Hermleigh Road.
Uplifting and Inspiring Kumzits/Simchas Beis Hashoayva for Women – Tuesday, October 14, at 8:30 PM at the Sukkah of Nancy Mehlman, 925 Grays Lane. Bring your voices, ruach and inspiring stories. If you have questions contact Nancy at firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Assist Events:
* Federal Job Applications – Learn seven tips and tricks from the expert–Kathryn Troutman. Monday, October 6, 6:00 PM – 6:30 PM. Info and register at www.resume-place.com
Hebrew Free Loan Association of Greater Washington – It's a New Year. New challenges. Old problems. Same solutions? Maybe not. Contact us: 301-770-4836, info@HebrewFreeLoanDC.org or www.hebrewfreeloandc.org
Bethesda Mincha – Daily Minyan at 7910 Woodmont Avenue, Suite 525. Contact email@example.com to be placed on the daily e-mail group.
Walk for Life: Join team "Berman Hebrew Academy." Participate in Gift of Life's 5K Walk for Life at Rock Creek Park (Washington, D.C.) on November 9. To register for the Walk for Life, go to www.giftoflife.org/walk4life and join the Berman Hebrew Academy team. Up to 5 community services hours are available for students who volunteer. For more about Gift of Life visit www.giftoflife.org If you have any questions, please contact David Lowenstein at 301-625-7933 or at firstname.lastname@example.org or Rabbi Pepper at email@example.com
A Taste of Shabbos
Parshas Noach – October 24 -25
Featuring an Inspirational and Uplifting Program including:
* Thursday night "Women's Challah Bake and Shiur"
* Simcha Leiner
* Community Oneg
* Stimulating Shiurim
* Special Havdalah Service
To become a part of this special Shabbos by volunteering or hosting, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday, October 5 Monday, October 6 Tuesday, October 7 Wed., Oct. 8 – Erev Sukkos Thur., Oct. 9 – Sukkos Friday, Oct. 10 – Sukkos
Arcola 6:00, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 See Sukkos Schedule
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 7:00 7:00 7:00
Arcola 6:30 6:30 6:30 See Sukkos Schedule
University N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:22 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:02 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:27 PM
Friday, October 10 – Youth Sukkah Hop – 3:30 – 5:00
Thursday / Friday / Shabbos, October 23-25 – A Taste of Shabbos
Like YISE on Facebook: www.facebook.com/YIShomraiEmunah
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Tuesday, October 7 at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday and Tuesday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Wednesday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Thursday and Friday – Closed
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director