Included in the PDF are the Israel Report, Hamaayan, Likutei Torah and GWCK Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Sukkos Shorts
October 2 – 4, 2020 – 15 – 16 Tishrei 5781 – Sukkos – Light Candles by 6:30 – Havdalah 7:25
October 9 – 11, 2020 – 22 – 23 Tishrei 5781 – Shemini Atzeres/Simchas Torah – Light Candles by 6:19 – Havdalah 7:15
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Sponsored by Esther Edeson in honor of her family and dear friends for the wonderful birthday they honored me with this year, and by Yale, Elazar, Devora, Meir, Avi, Rachel, Jonah, Naftali, Miryam, Chana, and Daniel Ginsburg wishing Sahra a Happy Birthday.
* Lois & Sid Meyers on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Avraham Yedidya Meyers (Avi), son of Hadassa & Dr. Oren Meyers of Cleveland.
* Judy & Sheldon Klein on their new grandson, born on Yom Kippur to Adina & Dudu Navon in Eliav, Israel. Mazal Tov also to brothers, Asif and Shilo, and to aunts, uncles and great-grandmother Libby.
* Hadassah Franco on the passing of her mother, Rivka Elling. Shiva ended at the beginning of Sukkos.
Sukkos/Shemini Atzeres/Simchas Torah Schedule
Limited Minyanim are now taking place at YISE under Montgomery County’s Phase 2 guidelines. All Minyanim require advance registration and confirmation. If you are interested in attending Minyanim and have not already registered, please go to https://www.yise.org/minyan If you are registered for a Minyan and are unable to attend at that time, please do not go to a different Minyan. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com
Sukkos – Friday Night, October 2
* Light Candles by 6:30
* Mincha: 6:40
* Kiddush in the Sukkah after 7:28
Sukkos – First Day – Shabbos, October 3
* Shacharis: 7:00, 9:00, 9:30, 9:30 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 2:30, 6:25, 6:25 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Light Candles and Kiddush after: 7:27
Sukkos – Second Day – Sunday, October 4
* Shacharis: 7:00, 9:00, 9:30, 9:30 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 2:30, 5:00, 5:00 (Sephardi)
* Yom Tov ends/Maariv: 7:25
Shemini Atzeres – Friday Night, October 9
* Light Candles by 6:19
* Mincha: 6:30
* Kiddush after 7:17
Shemini Atzeres – Shabbos, October 10
* Shacharis: 7:05, 9:30, 9:30 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 2:30, 6:15, 6:15 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Light Candles and Kiddush after: 7:16
Simchas Torah – Sunday, October 11
* Shacharis: 7:00, 9:00, 9:30, 9:30 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 2:30, 5:00, 5:00 (Sephardi)
* Yom Tov ends/Maariv: 7:15
* Advance registration for Minyanim is required and space is limited. Go to https://www.yise.org/minyan to register. If you have changes to your original registration form, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with details.
* During Tishrei, we will have some Minyanim in the tent in addition to the Minyanim in the building. If you are interested, please contact email@example.com
* All other activities at YISE are cancelled, including Youth Groups, Shiurim and special events.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and updated times, go to https://wp.yise.org/remote-learningschedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday through Friday 8:30 AM – Zoom A, will resume on Monday, October 5.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM – Zoom A, will resume on Monday, October 5.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A, will resume after Sukkos.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now studying Sefer Yehoshua,Wednesdays, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men and Women – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM, will resume on October 18.
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, Zoom C.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom H, will resume on October 18.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, 7:40 PM, Zoom G, will resume after Sukkos.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM (except as noted). For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361, will resume after Sukkos.
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver. For more information, please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: email@example.com or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, Zoom K.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM, Zoom J, will resume after Sukkos.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 784 431 8176
Zoom C: ID: 349 754 2180, password GWCK
Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, password GWCK
Zoom F: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom G: ID: 269 840 3648, password online Pearls, phone 621690
Zoom H: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom I: ID: 977 463 8680, password GWCK
Zoom J: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom K: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
YISE Programs and Listings
Simchas Torah Kiddush-to-Go was delivered this week to YISE members. In addition to the sponsors listed with the Kiddush, the following sponsors helped support this program:
* Bronze – Miriam and Steven Friedman, Melanie and Sandy Karlin, Renee and Josh Seidemann
* Seudah – Milton Cahn
Sukkah Share – Go to https://wp.yise.org/sukkah to sign up to be a host or a guest in a YISE's COVID-19 Safe Sukkah Share. Contact email@example.com if you have any questions. See flyer for details.
Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class – now on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, October 5, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom. Meeting ID – 871 7697 8136, password 329598. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Aravot Sale – Bnei Akiva of Silver Spring is selling Aravot for Hoshana Rabba. Pickup Thursday, October 8, 7:00 PM – 8:30 PM and Friday, October 9 at all Shacharis Minyanim. Pre-order at https://wp.yise.org/aravot
Sukkot To-Go 5781 – Download the Benjamin and Rose Berger Sukkot To-Go 5781 from Yeshiva University at http://www.yutorah.org/togo/sukkot Limited printed copies available – contact Simi Franco at email@example.com or 301-346-8752.
YISE Women's Learning Initiative presents pre-Simchas Torah Learning for Women – Monday night October 5 (Chol Hamoed Sukkos) at 8:00 PM, Zoom A. Speakers will be Mrs. Atara Rosenbaum, ¡§Worshiping on Empty? Reaching Out to G-d on Sukkos in 2020¡¨ and Mrs. Rachel Kosowsky, ¡§The Messages of Ma'aseh Bereishit¡¨. See flyer for details.
Simchas Torah Auction – Afraid of missing out on the annual Simchas Torah auction? Fear no more! We will be holding an online auction during Chol HaMoed. All Aliyos will be given to the Baal Koreh, but special Misheberachs will be made for the winners. Details will be sent out at the start of Chol HaMoed.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT¡¨L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Community Programs & Listings
Virtual Simchas Beis Hashoeivah for the entire community presented by GWCK, featuring Rabbi Menachem Penner on the topic: “Sukkos 5781: The Chol-Hamoed Trip To…Nowhere” followed by live Simcha music with West-Coast music star, Rabbi Shua Rose. Tuesday, October 6, 8:00 PM on Zoom C. To sponsor, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, October 7, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Rabbi Morris & Rebbetzin Esther Rosenblatt Virtual Memorial Program – Sunday, October 18, 11:00 AM. Featured guest from Jerusalem, award winning author Yossi Klein Halevi in conversation with Gary Rosenblatt. Zoom Meeting ID: 845 2452 5607, passcode 428501 or direct link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84524525607?pwd=RVFUK1BCWnllL25FR1ZoTE9qLzZldz09
Journey to Virtue: Self-Development through Jewish Study – Wednesdays, 8:00 PM on Zoom. Discover the great wisdom of the Jewish tradition to help you reach your full potential, enhance your relationships, and live life with greater meaning! Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. The journey continues. Join any time! No cost. Zoom info and registration at linksgw.org/classes
Yom Tov Appeal Sustains Community Safety Net – The Franco Foundation needs your tax-deductible donations to meet increasing Yom Tov aid requests by individuals and families in our community unable to make ends meet, and hurt by the COVID plague’s impact on our local economy. The Foundation helps with life essentials, like rent, mortgage, utilities and food. Over the years, the Franco Foundation has helped hundreds of families and individuals facing financial crisis and continues to do so with the help and commitment from our community. Mail donations to Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or send through PayPal at firstname.lastname@example.org
Silver Spring Eruv Association Annual Appeal – SSEA is now an IRS 501(c)(3) organization. Donations made directly to SSEA will now be tax deductible to the maximum extent permitted by law. Details of the appeal are on www.yise.org/eruv Donations may be made using the Eruv PayPal button on that page or by mail to SSEA, 707 Lamberton Drive, Silver Spring, MD 20902.
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 7:00 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM, Friday 5:45 PM.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click “Sign Up.”
Kemp Mill Village is providing friendly phone calls and limited deliveries during the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer. See kempmillvillage.org for more information.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Weeks Ahead
Sunday-October 4 – Sukkos
Monday-October 5 – Thursday-October 8 Chol Hamoed
Friday-October 9 – Hoshana Rabbah
Sunday-October 11 – Simchas Torah
Monday-October 12 – Columbus Day
Limited Minyanim will take place at YISE next week, advance registration and confirmation required. You are encouraged to Daven at home at the same time as a Minyan at YISE. Shacharis: Chol Hamoed Monday – Thursday 6:20 AM/7:00 AM/8:45 AM, Hoshanah Rabbah 6:00 AM/6:30 AM/8:30 AM, after Sukkos 6:20 AM/7:00 AM/8:45 AM. Mincha/Maariv: October 5 – 8: 6:30 PM, October 12 – 15: 6:20 PM.
Halachic Times: October 4 – 10 – Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:21 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:01 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:27 PM October 11 – 17 – Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:28 AM, Latest Krias Shma:10:04 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:25 PM
October 16 – 17, 2020 – 29 Tishrei 5781
Light Candles by: 6:09
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, October 14 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com Website: www.yise.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday – 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Simi Franco – Office Manager
YISE Youth Announcements
Virtual Sukkah Hop – YISE Youth distributed more than 220 virtual Sukkah hop bags to YISE families with children, ages 17 and under, on Erev Sukkos. It was a wonderful surprise for families. We would like to gratefully acknowledge the generosity of Alan and Fran Broder who wanted YISE children to enjoy Sukkah treats, most especially during COVID-19, and underwrote the cost of the project. Thank you also to Rabbi Rosenbaum, Melissa Miller, Brett Kugler, Josh Breitstein, Simi Franco the YISE Youth Committee and the many volunteers who helped with lists, ordering, stuffing and delivery. Chag Sameach!
"In the Sukkah" with the Rabbi – Tuesday, October 6, 4:00 PM, for 4th-6th grade girls and boys, on Zoom A. A Succos Discussion with Rabbi Rosenbaum. He loves to hear your thoughts and your questions!
YISE Youth Jewish Music Dance Party with Lauren Balsam of Swag Cardio Kidz! Sunday, October 25, 5:00 PM – 5:45 PM. For girls K- 5th grade. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org. See flyer for details.
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to email@example.com – Sponsor name, Birthday or anniversary date, Name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Jules Meisler wishes his wife, Bobbi, Happy Birthday on October 5th.
Simi and Sammy Franco wish Sahra Ginsburg a very happy birthday!!
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis. Our current limited ability to Daven with a Minyan and to say Kaddish is difficult and a challenge. However, sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Sunday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The Pre-Shabbos Drasha video is available for sponsorship at $54.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha and Halacha Shiur
* Debbie Rogal in commemoration of her grandmother, Louise Feldman's, Yahrzeit.
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray for a Refuah Sheleima for Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend the shiur.
* Chani and Jay Parness in memory of parents and grandparents and a Refuah Sheleima for Rabbi Hyatt.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Erev Shabbos Drasha
* Dr. Lynn and Dr. Stephen Deutsch in memory of Lynn's father, Allan Herkowitz on his 5th Yahrzeit on the 12th of Tishrei.
* Seth and Masha Katz in memory of Masha's father, Isaac Silberberg, Yitzchak Binim ben Dovid Yehuda, whose yahrzeit is this Sunday, the 16th of Tishrei.