Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
April 13 – 14, 2018 – 29 Nissan 5778 – Parshas Shemini – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 7:25 – Havdalah 8:26
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Dr. Jack Calman on the 3rd Yahrtzeit of his beloved mother, Ruth Calman.
* Becky & Yitzchak Langer on the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Moshe. Mazal Tov to grandparents Sue & Ray White and Anne & Tom Langer.
* Bari Perlmutter and Hillel Goldschein on their upcoming wedding. Mazal Tov to their family who came from New York, including Aitana & Perry and Jacob Perlmutter, Ilana & Dovid Goldschein, Hillel's siblings and their wives and kids, the Laks family, and special welcome to Hillel's grandmother Suri Laks.
* Sima & Richard Soskin on the engagement of their daughter, Eliana, to Jesse Shkedy, son of Linda & Dr. Clive Shkedy of Houston, Texas. Mazal Tov to Eliana's brother, Yonah, and grandparents Esther Rosen and Joan & Philip Soskin.
* Light Candles by 7:25, and not before 6:21
Ashkenazi: 6:30, 7:25 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:20 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:20
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:26
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
*8:00 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Daniela & Yaron Nagavker in honor of their new baby girl.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Dovid and Ilana Goldschein in honor of Hillel's
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 6:15 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Pirkei Avos Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self- improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony will resume April 25.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Thirteen Attributes with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 7:00 AM – 7:45 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or email@example.com
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learningMaseches Bava Basra, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays, following Mincha/Maariv, in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM ¡V 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: Parsha Analysis with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Wednesday: Reading Responsa with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Haggadah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Horeb: The Power of Mitzvos with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter.
* "On The Same Page" at Shomrai! Join this community-wide learning project and study an Amud (Page) of Gemara each week with others across the community! Learning options that fit YOUR lifestyle: Two class options at YISE: Sundays, 9:45am with Rabbi M. Winter and Mondays, 8:15pm with Rabbi H. Shaps, plus weekly audio/video lectures and illuminating insights on the Amud delivered directly into your inbox, and more! Beginning Maseches Rosh Hashana Sunday, April 22. For more information or to register visit gwckollel.org/onthesamepage
YISE Programs and Listings
Annual Yom HaShoah v'Hagvurah Program – Sunday, April 15, 7:30 PM at KMS. Mincha at 7:10 PM, Maariv after the program. We regret that Mrs. Magda Rosenbaum will not be available to speak this year due to illness. We wish her a Refuah Shelaimah. Mrs Miriam Ingber, another resident of Kemp Mill, has agreed to be this year's speaker. Miriam Farkas Ingber was born in Terava, Czechoslovakia, in 1929. When Hungary took control of the area in 1939, she and her mother were deported to a ghetto, followed by two different concentration camps. Her mother died as they were being liberated by Soviet troops. Children grades 5 and above are encouraged to attend the program with their parents. Co-sponsored by YISE, KMS, Berman Hebrew Academy and Yeshiva of Greater Washington. Sign language interpreter available upon request, sponsored by Sulam, Inc.
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, April 18, 12:00 Noon, Social Hall. Seniors on Stage presents: Two short plays written for Senior Audiences!
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, May 7, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W. in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
Making Tough Medical Decisions. Make more confident health decisions by learning what you need to know from your health practitioner to assess risks and benefits. Learn what halacha says about "elective" and high-stakes procedures. Listen to dialogue between Dr. Theo Heller, experienced gastroenterologist and researcher, and Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman, a specialist in Jewish law and senior lecturer with Greater Washington Community Kollel. Sponsored by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, YISE, KMS, GWCK, SSJC, SEHC, Ohr Hatorah & Chabad of Silver Spring. Sunday, April 22, 10:45 AM – 12:15 PM, in the YISE Small Social Hall.
Global Good Deeds Day – Sunday, April 29: Do a mitzvah! Join in a park cleanup, any time between 11:00 AM & 1:00 PM! Meet at the steps near CVS in the Kemp Mill Park (Kemp Mill Shopping Center). Bags, gloves, and t-shirts will be distributed. Upper School students can receive community service hours. Great for all ages! Good Deeds Day 2018 is produced in partnership with The Jewish Federation's Jconnect; our Park Cleanup project is organized by YISE, KMS, Berman Hebrew Academy and NCSY in conjunction with Montgomery Parks. Register at www.shalomdc.org/parkcleanupgdd2018 or just show up. Volunteers needed to hand out t-shirts, gloves, and bags. For more information, contact: Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Camp Shomrai is back for another great summer! 7-week program Monday, June 25th – Friday, August 10th. Preschool 2-year-old through Kindergarten 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM at Shomrai Preschool. NEW THIS YEAR boys & girls entering 1st through 6th grade 9:30 AM – 3:30 PM at YGW Girls High School with Rabbi Moshe Mittelman and Mrs. Esther Leigh. Register online at http://campshomrai.campapplications.com For more information contact Sarah Dollman at email@example.com
Membership Directory – The 2018 YISE Membership Directory will be updated soon. Send updated information to firstname.lastname@example.org
Sponsor Jewish History – YISE and BCGW are looking for sponsors for upcoming Jewish history classes with Rabbi Koss. To sponsor, please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com or Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett,11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
The Eighth Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer, ZT"L
The Siyum will be held at a Shalosh Seudos next Shabbos, April 21, Parshas Tazria-Metzora after Mincha.
Volunteers are needed to help prepare for the Shalosh Seudos. RSVP to Barbara Price – email email@example.com or call 301-332-8181
Please consider helping to co-sponsor this yearly event, which draws members from the entire Shomrai community. You may contact Simi Franco at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling the office at 301-593-4465 x403 to contribute towards the event.
There are also still a number of sections of Tanach available to be studied for the Siyum. Visit www.yise.org/siyum or contact Bob Levi at email@example.com
Save the date! Sunday, June 10
YISE Annual Banquet
Honoring: Miriam & Steven Friedman.
Community Service Award: Carol & Tuvia Lazar.
Youth Honorees: Edan Friedman, Talya Miller & Noach Solomson.
We look forward to seeing you there!
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony
1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva.
Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby/Boys meet outside the Social Hall
Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Lag Ba'Omer Climbing & Bonfire – Thursday May 3, 5:00 PM – 9:00 PM at The Adventure Park at Sandy Spring. $34 per person. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org with names & birth dates and pay YISE by check by April 18.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before Mincha.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nedarim. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, April 14, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516, at 4:00 PM.
A Time for Unity! – Special Shabbos afternoon speaker series. As we look forward to Shavuos, let us come together and find inspiration in the words of the Torah. Chabad of Silver Spring will be hosting distinguished Rabbis again this year during the weeks between Pesach and Shavuos. This Shabbos, April 14, Rabbi Yankel Greiniman, Silver Spring Jewish Center. All Shiurim at Chabad, 519 Lamberton Drive, 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM. Women and men are invited.
Free 50+ Employment Expo – Monday, April 16, 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM, at the Bethesda North Marriott Hotel and Conference Center. For more information, go to https://www.accessjca.org/programs/employment-expos/
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, April 18, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Laura Warshawsky at email@example.com for more information.
Considering Buying a Home in Israel? Top 10 Things to Know, presented by Gedaliah Borvick – www.myisraelhome.com Sunday evening, April 22 at 8:15 pm at YISE in the Small Social Hall. For more info: firstname.lastname@example.org
Personal Safety During the Tahara – Caring for the Living While Caring for the Departed – Men's Chevra Kadisha of Greater Washington presents a free training session. Open to the entire Jewish Community. Taught by Ms. Ellie Barbarash, MS, CPEA. Sunday, April 29, 9:30 AM to Noon at KMS. Learn the risks of injury, infection and disease attendant to performing a Tahara and learn how to protect yourself against the risks. Note: This training will not cover when or how to perform a Tahara. Reservations requested but not required. If you plan to attend or if you have any questions, contact email@example.com
Zichron Menachem Hair Drive -MJBHA will be sponsoring the annual hair donation drive on Thursday, May 3, Lag Ba'omer, at Style Salon and again the day after Shavuos, Tuesday, May 22, at Progressions Salon. All cuts are free and each donor receives a special gift from the coordinator and a certificate from Zichron Menachem. To sign up, email firstname.lastname@example.org with "hair" in the Subject line. Nancy Mehlman will contact you to set up an appointment on your preferred day and time.
Chometz after Pesach
Chometz may be purchased from the following stores immediately after Pesach 2018:
* All Capitol K establishments and caterers.
* National stores: Aldi, BJ's, Costco, CVS, Food Lion, Harris Teeter, Kmart, Petco, PetSmart, Rite Aid, Royal Farms, Save-A-Lot, Sam's Club, Shoppers Food and Pharmacy, Trader Joe's, Walgreens, Walmart, Wegmans, Whole Foods Market, Winn-Dixie
* Stores in our community: H Mart, MOM's Organic Market, ShopRite of White Oak
Chometz may only be purchased from Snider's beginning four weeks after Pesach.
Due to possible Chometz distributed by a Jewish company, if one has an option of purchasing Chometz from other stores, it is commendable not to purchase Chometz from Giant, Safeway, and Target until four weeks after Pesach.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, April 15 – Rosh Chodesh Monday, April 16 – Rosh Chodesh Tuesday, April 17 Wednesday, April 18 Thursday, April 19 – Yom Ha'Atzmaut Friday, April 20
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:35*, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:00 6:10 6:10 6:00 6:10
Ashkenazi 7:35 7:35 7:35 7:35 7:35 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:30 7:30 7:30 7:30 7:30
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:37 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:45 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:42 PM
* Thursday, April 19 – Yom Ha'Atzmaut – the Second Minyan at Arcola will meet at 6:35 with special additions. The other Shacharis Minyanim will meet at their regular times, without special additions.
April 20 – 21, 2018 – 6 Iyar 5778
Light Candles by 7:32 – Havdalah 8:34
* Light Candles by 7:32, and not before 6:26
Ashkenazi: 6:35, 7:35 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:05 Sephardi: 6:55 Nusach Sefard: 7:05
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:34
Shabbos, April 14 Aufruf of Hillel Goldschein, 8:45 Main Minyan
Sunday, April 15 Yom HaShoah v'Hagvurah Program, 7:30 PM, KMS
Wednesday, April 18 Senior Lunch, 12:00 Noon, Social Hall
Shabbos, April 21 Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer, ZT"L
Sunday, April 22 Making Tough Medical Decisions, 10:45 AM
Sunday, April 29 Global Good Deeds Day, 11:00 AM, Kemp Mill Park
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, April 18 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager