Shavuos – May 28 – 30, 2020
Download the May 28 – 30, 2020 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Included in the PDF are the Israel Report, Hamaayan, Likutei Torah and GWCK Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shavuos Shorts
May 28 – 30, 2020 – 6 – 7 Sivan 5780 – Shavuos
Light Candles by 8:07 – Havdalah 9:15
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Tzivia Bramson and family on the 1st Yahrzeit of Rabbi Sam Bramson, Shmuel ben Noach Helman Halevi Z"L, and by Esther & David Hornestay in commemoration of the 12th Yahrzeit of Esther's mother, Regina Berman, Rivka bas Dovid, on the second day of Shavuos.
* Lynn & Stephen Deutsch on the marriage of their son, Dovid, to Amanda Komsky, daughter of Sheila & Larry Komsky of Woodmere. Mazal Tov to his siblings, Daniel Deutsch, Eliot & Ilana Deutsch and family of Woodmere, and Jacob & Rivky Deutsch of Manhattan.
* Sima & Richard Soskin on the marriage of their son, Yonah, to Sarah Taber, daughter of Nechama & Howard Taber of West Hempstead, NY.
* Sima & Richard Soskin and Linda & Clive Shkedy of Houston, TX, on the birth of twin granddaughters, Adielle Yakira and Zahara Moriya, born to Eliana & Jesse Shkedy of Kew Gardens Hills, NY.
* Sima & Richard Soskin on Yonah's graduation from the Sy Syms School of Business, Yeshiva University, with a B.S. degree in Marketing.
* Rabbi Rapahel Malka on the passing of his brother, Nehorai Malka. Shiva ended at the start of Shavuos.
Note that Davening times are listed for reference so that people may Daven at the same time as others. There are no Minyanim at YISE at this time.
Remember to make an Eruv Tavshilin on Thursday.
* Light Candles by 8:07
* Mincha: 8:10
* Maariv: 9:13
* Earliest Talis: 4:43
* Netz Hachama: 5:46
For those who are able to stay up all night or get up early, the preferred time to Daven Shemone Esrai is 5:46. Particularly when one is not davening with a minyan, it would not be appropriate to begin Shmone Esrai any earlier than 5:46. You may Daven Shacharis up to 10:39. Shema should be said before 9:25. Akdamus need not be recited when davening by one's self.
* Light Candles by 8:08, and not before Plag, 6:54
Ashkenazi: 6:35, 7:10, 8:10 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
If you Daven Mizmor Shir leyom Hashabbos/Maariv before Shkia (8:26 PM), it is preferable to Daven Mincha prior to Plag (6:54 PM).
* Shacharis: Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
It is our custom to read Megillas Rus in shul. One is not obligated to do so when davening as an individual, though one may certainly do so if one desires. Yizkor may be recited, even when davening by one's self.
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 8:05 Sephardi: 8:05 Nusach Sefard: 8:05
* Shabbos/Shavuos ends: 9:15
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list, go to https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday 9:00 AM/Monday through Friday 8:30 AM – Zoom A.
Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM – Zoom A.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, Zoom A.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact email@example.com Zoom B.
GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men and Women – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM
Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, Zoom C.
Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom I.
Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM, Zoom H.
GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
For Men & Women – Zoom D (except as noted):
Mondays: Rabbi E. Gayer – A to Z of Jewish Living
Mondays: (for men only) Rabbi H. Shaps, On the Same Page Gemara, Zoom C.
Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
Thursdays: Rabbi Grossman – Parshas Hashavua
For Women – Zoom E:
Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An in-depth analysis
Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Bereishis in-Depth
Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver. For more information, please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: email@example.com or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org – Zoom A.
The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, Zoom F.
Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, "A Second Look- Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 784 431 8176
Zoom C: ID: 349 754 2180, password GWCK
Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, password GWCK
Zoom E: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
Zoom F: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom G: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom H: ID: 269 840 3648, password 8tCqF6
Zoom I: ID: 834 8407 1267, password RabbiHyatt
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome a new member who was voted in at the last Board meeting: Aliza Eisenberg
The YISE Shavuos Companion was mailed to all members. If you did not receive a copy, you may download it at: https://wp.yise.org/shavuos-companion
Come join Rabbi Koss's monthly Jewish History class now on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, June 1, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom. Meeting ID – 897 7875 9173, password 257642 For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Community Programs & Listings
Webinar for Recent College Graduates – JobAssist, the Kemp Mill-based initiative to help job seekers, is assessing interest in a Zoom presentation for recent college graduates. If you are interested, please email David Marwick at firstname.lastname@example.org
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 7:00 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM, Friday 5:45 PM.
The Census Bureau is still hiring for the 2020 Census and expects to resume field operations in June. The hourly pay in Montgomery County, MD, is $29.50. Full-time and part-time positions are available. For more information, call 1-888-480-1639 or visit www.2020Census.gov/jobs
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, June 3, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password 3671.
Partners in Tefillah matches people with others in need of similar assistance from Hashem. The feedback we have received so far has been amazing. You, too, can Daven for someone else in the community and have them Daven for you. May Hashem answer all your prayers. Please visit www.yadyehuda.org/partners-in-tefillah to learn more and to sign up.
Capital Kosher Panty – Due to the closure of schools and shuls, the usual steady flow of food donations to the Capital Kosher Pantry has significantly decreased. We're greatly in need of the following very popular food products: Canned white tuna and salmon, sardines, plastic bottles of grape juice, pizza sauce, Near East brand rice mixes, crackers, cereal, whole grain and regular pasta (not spaghetti), Nature's Bakery fig bars. Please purchase these items from any store and then deposit them in one of our donation bins locations:
* In front of: YISE, KMS, Woodside Shul
* In Shalom Kosher, at the front of the store, or in Moti's Market, near the store entrance
* In front of the Capital Kosher Pantry – 1910 University Blvd., West, Silver Spring, MD 20902.
You can also purchase items online at Target, Amazon, Walmart and elsewhere and arrange shipment directly to Capital Kosher Pantry. Our online wishlist is at https://www.yadyehuda.org/pantry-wishlist.html Financial donations to Capital Kosher Pantry are always welcome too. We thank you for your continued generosity. Tizku L'Mitzvot and a Good Yom Tov to all! The Capital Kosher Pantry Team
Community Website for COVID-19 www.covidgw.com In an effort to simplify access to the plethora of available resources for COVID-19 assistance and information, Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington has created a stand-alone website that includes a wide range of resources for the Greater Washington Jewish community. Please visit covidgw.com Information on the site is culled from many volunteers and sources from within our community.
New information is being added regularly; please visit often to view updated information and resources. May we all merit Hashem's mercy during this challenging time. Please note: If you need assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out by visiting covidgw.com If you are not currently experiencing financial challenges, please consider a donation to assist others who are struggling during this crisis.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click ¡§Sign Up.¡¨
Kemp Mill Village is providing friendly phone calls and limited deliveries during the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer. See kempmillvillage.org for more information.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
No Minyanim will take place at YISE next week. You are encouraged to Daven at home at your regular Minyan time.
Mincha was scheduled for May 31 – June 4 at 8:15 PM (Ashkenazi)/8:10 PM (Sephardi).
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 4:41 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:24 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:45 PM
June 5 – 6, 2020 – 14 Sivan 5780
Light Candles: Friday by 8:13
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Tuesday, June 3 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330 Eruv line: 301-593-5561
E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.yise.org
Office Hours: Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday – 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager
* Planning for Shul reopening has begun. Go to https://wp.yise.org/planning-for-shul-reopening/ for more details.
* All public activities at YISE are cancelled, including Minyanim, Youth Groups, Shiurim and special events.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
* Please continue to be vigilant regarding matters of personal hygiene as previously advised. If you are unwell, please do not enter the Shul or other public places. We urge you to adhere to all medical advice you may receive regarding self-quarantine.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Our current inability to Daven with a Minyan and to say Kaddish is difficult and a challenge. However, sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrtzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Sunday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Chumash Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Silver's Tuesday Evening Parsha Shiur
* Rabbi Silver's Daily Chizuk Dose on WhatsApp
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The Pre-Shabbos Drasha video is available for sponsorship at $54.
Please email email@example.com to sponsor.
Thank you for your support.
Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Rosenbaum's morning and evening Tehillim/Shiur
* Ruthie & Bill Konick in honor of our two Rabbeim and in honor of a Refuah for all of Klal Yisroel
* Bobbi & Jules Meisler in honor of Rabbi Rosenbaum and Rabbi Silver and to thank Rabbi Silver for coordinating the production and completion of the excellent YISE Shavuos Companion Booklet
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur
* Marvin Konick in honor of Rabbi Rosenbaum
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Chumash Shiur
* Hannah & Dr. Robert Klein in memory of Hannah's mother Ruth Koplowitz, Rus bas Aharon HaCohen, Z¡¨L
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Erev Shabbos Parsha Drasha
* Bev Morris & Art Boyars in honor of Simi and Sammy Franco
* Arlene Groner in memory of her paternal grandparents' Yahrtzeits, Shmuel ben Avraham, Z¡¨L, on the 10th of Sivan and Rachel bas Yaakov HaCohen, Z¡¨L, on the 14th of Sivan