Shavuos – May 25-27, 2023
Download the Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah -Shavuos Shorts
May 25 – 27, 2023 – 6 – 7 Sivan 5783 – Shavuos
Light Candles by 8:04, not before 6:52 – Havdalah 9:12
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored by Tzivia Bramson to commemorate the 4th Yahrzeit of her husband, Rabbi Samuel Bramson, HaRav Shmuel Ben Noach Helman HaLevi, Z"L, on the 9th of Sivan and
Esther & David Hornestay to commemorate the 15th Yahrzeit of Esther's mother, Regina Berman, Rivka Bas Dovid, Z"L, on the 7th of Sivan.
The YISE Communications Committee hopes you are enjoying the shorter Shabbos Shorts! Have a comment or suggestion? Please send us your feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Naomi Baum & Saul Newman on the engagement of their son, Ezra, to Dr. Yael Steinberg, daughter of Dina & David Steinberg of Queens, NY. Mazal Tov to siblings Leah and Betzalel and to grandmother, Evelyn Baum.
* Atara Sheinson, daughter of Harriet & Ron Sheinson, an Occupational Therapist and Advanced Clinician at New York Presbyterian Hospital, on achieving Board Certification in Pediatrics.
* Elite Hutman on the passing of her father, Binyamin Deutsch.
* Carol Lazar and Eva Moses on the passing of their father, Dr. Walter Lemann.
* Harriet Sheinson on the passing of her brother, James Krasnow. The funeral will take place on Sunday in Needham, MA. Shiva details will be sent via email when available.
Minyan locations are:B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall, LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis Medrash, H = The House
Thursday Night, May 25:
* Remember to make an Eruv Tavshilin
* Light Candles by 8:04, not before 6:52
* Mincha: 8:05 (B), 7:15 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shiur after Mincha – Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Maariv: 9:10 (B)
* Kiddush not before: 9:10
Friday, May 26:
* Tikun Leil Shavuos: 12:00
* Shacharis: 5:10 (S), 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 4:20 (Sephardi, LBM), 5:10 (Teen, H)
* Shavuos Learning for 2 – 3 Grade Boys: 3:45 (H)
* Youth Shavuos Ice Cream Party: 4:00 (S)
* Light Candles by 8:05, not before 6:53
* Mincha: 6:35 (Plag, S), 7:05 (B), 8:05 (B), 7:15 (Sephardi, LBM)
Shabbos/2nd Day of Shavuos, May 27:
* Shacharis: 6:45 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:30 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen, H)
* Yizkor at 8:45 Minyan not before 10:30
* Shavuos Learning for Women: 3:45 (B)
* Shavuos Shiur for Girls: 3:45 (H)
* Women's Shavuos Dessert: 4:30 (S)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 8:00 (B), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos/Shavuos ends/Maariv: 9:12
YISE Youth Announcements
Teen Minyan – The Teen Minyan, led by Rabbi Moshe Holzer, will meet in The House at 5:10 AM (Netz) on Friday and at 9:15 AM on Shabbos.
Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, May 27, the 2nd day of Shavuos, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends.
* Age 18-36 months (Mommy & me) in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby.
* Ages 2-5 years (drop off) in the room behind the balcony.
* Ages 6-9 years meet at Shomrai and walk to the Yeshiva.
* 5th and 6th Grade Girls will meet inside The House promptly at 10:00 AM.
* Junior Congregation for boys in grades 4 – 6 with Jay Marcus. Meet in the Lower Lobby at 9:55 and walk to the Yeshiva at 10:00.
There will not be any Groups on Friday, May 26, the 1st day of Shavuos. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com
Boys Shiur – Rabbi Rosenbaum's Shabbos afternoon shiur for 5th and 6th grade boys at 5:30 PM in the Social Hall, will not meet this Shabbos, May 27.
Special Learning program for 2-3 grade boys on the 1st day of Shavuos with Mr. Marcus! Meet at 3:15 PM at the House, followed by ice cream in the Social Hall.
Youth Shavuos Ice Cream Party – Friday, May 26, 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM in the Social Hall. Come and make your own ice cream sundaes! See flyer for details.
Shavuos Shiur for Girls – Shabbos, May 27, 3:45 PM – 4:30 PM in The House. For grades 2 – 5, with Rebbetzin Atara Rosenbaum. See flyer for details.
Shabbos Kiddush Sponsors
* The Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by Rabbi Binyamin Sanders to commemorate the Yahrzeit of his father, ùîåàì îéëàì áï ðçåí öáé on the 13th of Sivan.
* The Shul Kiddush is sponsored by the Shul.
Shabbos Divrei Torah/Shiurim
* 8:45 Main Minyan (B) Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Minyan (S) Rabbi Postelnek
* Hashkamah Gemara Shiur (SBM) Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Kedushas Levi Chabura – 8 :55 (S) Rabbi Postelnek
* Shiur before Mincha – 7:15 (B) Rabbi Yitzchok Brandriss
* Shiur after Mincha (B) Rabbi Postelnek
* The Flowers for Shavuos have been donated by Karen & Howie Schulman in memory of David Kramer, Dovid Tuvia Ben Harav Yechiel Michoel Halevi, Z"L, on the occasion of his 21st Yahrzeit.
* The Pastry Oven Cakes for Tikun Leil Shavuos have been donated by Eva & Nissy Moskowitz in loving memory of their families who perished in the Holocaust.
* Tikun Leil Shavuos – Shiurim starting at midnight in the Belonofsky Sanctuary, Interactive learning and Chavrusos in the Social Hall. Shacharis at 5:10 AM in the Social Hall. See flyer for details.
* Shavuos Learning for Women – Mrs. Sharon Freundel will give a Shiur, "Hineni: The Calls to Prophecy of Isaiah and Ezekiel," in the Belonofsky Sanctuary on the 2nd day of Shavuos, Shabbos, May 27, from 3:45 PM – 4:30 PM, sponsored by the YISE Women's Learning Initiative. See flyer for details.
* Women's Shavuos Dessert – All women are invited to a Shavuos afternoon get-together to enjoy Pareve desserts with friends. Shabbos, May 27, the 2nd day of Shavuos, 4:30 PM in the Social Hall See flyer for details.
* Ask the Rabbi – Come join our virtual, interactive monthly program featuring different Halachic topics! This month's topic, Funerals, Shiva, and Halacha from a Consoler's Perspective, will take place on Tuesday, May 30, 7:00 PM – 8:00PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-754-1517. To sponsor the program, contact the YISE office. See flyer for details.
* Coming Soon to a Lawn Near You: "Limud On Our Lawn" – a new YISE monthly summer learning project bringing Limud Torah to front lawns and backyards in our community. On the 2nd Shabbos of June, July, August and September, a different YISE family each month will host a learning opportunity, exploring a different Torah luminary each month. The first program will take place on June 10 at 6:00 PM at the home of Bob & Susan Levi, 520 Lamberton Drive. Rabbi Rosenbaum will speak on Hillel: The Halachic Decider and Role Model for His People. See flyer for details.
* Come Join Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee. Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, June 5, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
* Mazal Tov on the Birth of Your Son or Daughter! YISE can help organize meals. Contact Miriam Levson at 901-481-7133 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Rose Blynn at 410-522-8624 or email@example.com Send announcement details to firstname.lastname@example.org
* Shalosh Seudos – To sponsor, contact Simi Franco at 301-593-4465, ext. 103, or email@example.com Volunteers are needed to set up and clean up. Contact Ethan Cohen at firstname.lastname@example.org to be part of the rotation.
* Online YISE Cholim List – Go to https://wp.yise.org/cholim to add a name to the list. The list is used at the 8:45 Minyan on Monday, Thursday, and Shabbos. For questions about Mi Sheberach guidelines, contact Rabbi Rosenbaum. For other questions, contact Seth Katz at email@example.com
* Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, a part of YISE's Chesed Committee, provides assistance to families undergoing medical crises. If you do not have a Helping Hands account, or if you have any questions, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681- 4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
* Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at https://audio.yise.org
Thank you to the Shabbos Shiurim Sponsors for this Past Week:
Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur – David Jaray in honor of Rabbi Grossman and all those who attend his Shiur.
8:45 Shabbos Drasha – David Lerner in memory of his beloved father Herbert Lerner, Z"L, for his 2nd Yahrzeit, 8 Sivan.
Want to sponsor a Shabbos or weekday Shiur? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for details. Thank you for your support.
The Week Ahead
Monday, May 29 – Memorial Day
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 4:07 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 4:43 AM, Latest Netz: 5:47 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:25 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:44 PM, Earliest Shkia: 8:25 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim 9:18 PM
June 2 – 3, 2023 – 14 Sivan 5783
Light Candles by 8:10, not before 6:56 – Havdalah 9:18
* Mincha: 6:40 (Plag, S), 7:10 (B), 8:10 (B), 7:15 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 7:50 (B), 7:45 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 9:05
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, May 31, at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Hours: Monday: Closed for Memorial Day
Tuesday – Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM,
Friday: 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager
Upcoming Community Programs & Listings
Man vs. Animal: Whose Needs Take Priority According to Halacha? – Kollel Zichron Amram Federal Holiday Learning Program on Memorial Day, Monday, May 29 at the YGW Boys' campus and on Zoom, Meeting ID: 892 627 5529, Passcode: 1216613. Shacharis 8:00 AM, breakfast 9:00 AM, learning 9:30 AM, Shiur by Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel of YGW, 10:40 AM – 11:20 AM. Sponsored in memory of Dr. Jerome B. Taragin by the Taragin, Gardner and Marizan families. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at email@example.com
Jewish War Veterans Post 360 Memorial Day Celebration in Wheaton in collaboration with American Legion Post 268 and Veterans of Foreign War Post 2568. Monday, May 29, 11:00 AM in Veterans Park on Fern Street behind the Safeway building. Please come to show your support for our Jewish War Veterans Post and to honor our fallen American servicemen and women.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, May 31, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
The Chesed Fund & Project Ezra invite you nominate outstanding children, youth, or adults to receive our annual Community Safety & Service Award. Submission deadline is June 1. Send your submission with your contact info as well as your nominee's to email@example.com now!
Zichron Menachem Hair Drive – Calling all hair owners who are ready to become hair donors! There are still available appointments for: Friday, June 2, at BHA, 13300 Arctic Avenue, Rockville; Monday, June 5, at Progressions Salon, 12211 Nebel Street, Rockville. (Only two appointments left). If you have 12 inches to give please hurry and sign up to do this huge Mitzvah! Just email Hair to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Mikvah Emunah Society Banquet and Annual Meeting will take place on Sunday, June 4, at 6:30 PM in the KMS Tents. Honorees are Arnie Sherman and Iris & Adam Bashein. Please visit www.mikvahemunah.com for registration and ad information.
Lisa Landy Memorial Fund – Lisa devoted the better part of the last three decades teaching pre-schoolers in Jewish schools in the Washington, DC area. Lisa was a staunch advocate of the Reggio Emilia teaching approach, which encourages students to direct their own learning and fosters their independent thinking and self-confidence. The Lisa Landy Memorial Fund was established to train teachers in local Jewish schools in the Reggio method. To make a tax-deductible donation or for more information, contact Eli Landy at 301-401-9475 or email@example.com
Please help our community complete these Siyumim:
* Mishnayos for the 1st Yahrzeit of Natalie Gabai, Nechama Naomi Bat Leib, December 21, 9 Tevet – https://www.lzechernishmas.com/signup.php?id=11044
* Mishnayos for the 1st Yahrzeit of Jerry Snyder, Yehoshua Ben Binyamin, December 21, 9 Tevet – https://hadranalach.com/2612
* Tanach for the 1st Yahrzeit of Marion Baras, Miriam Bas Menachem, January 1, 20 Tevet – https://hadranalach.com/2626
Recurring Community Programs & Listings
Rays of Wisdom – Life Lessons From Pirkei Avos – Greater Washington Community Kollel invites women of the community to a weekday morning text-based Chaburah led by Mrs. Channah Cohen. Mondays at 9:30 AM at the home of Mrs. Aviva Werner, 815 Lamberton Drive. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 773-219-5397. Pirkei Avos: Ethics for Everyday Living – presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps on Zoom. Wednesdays, 12:15 PM – 1:00 PM. For Zoom info and registration go to https://linksgw.org/classes
Zoom Shiurim with Rabbi Levy – Monday through Friday on Zoom, Meeting ID: 636 563 5989. Alshich – 9:20 AM – 10:15 AM. Gemara Ribit 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM. Hilchot Lashon Hara 12:45 PM – 1:45 PM.
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT"L, with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613.
For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at email@example.com
Dirshu – Please join Dirshu, currently learning Bava Metzia. Shiur options at YGW: Monday – Friday, 5:45 AM (R. Reingold) or Monday – Thursday, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM (R. Cortell/R. Werner), about 2.5 Daf covered each week.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Siddur with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at email@example.com
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online weekdays via a WebEx video conference. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM. Shabbos inperson, 1-1/2 hours before the latest YISE Mincha in the Yeshiva.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
Options for in-person and remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 6:30 PM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM, Zoom A, will not take place on Monday, May 29.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM breakfast, 9:45 AM. Shiurim:
* Illuminating Inquiries in Halacha – Rabbi Yitzchak Mandel
* Judaism 102: Fundamentals for the Experienced Jew – Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Navigating Navi: Sefer Yehoshua – Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Parsha Perspectives: An Exploration of Engaging Parsha Topics – Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info., contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara, starting the 3rd Perek of Kiddushin.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom E.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom F.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys – Zoom D.
* SCP (Semichas Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM at YISE. Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. New Semester began Tuesday, May 2. Register at https://thegreaterwashingtoncommunitykollel.com/scp For more information please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:22 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* Chavrusa Learning – Monday nights in the Social Hall, 8:30 PM – 9:30 PM. For more information, contact RabbiLevy at 240-423-8810.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Mondays at 8:45 AM, studying Parashas Hashavua, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", in-person in the Small Beis Medrash and on Zoom G.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning the 7th Perek of Maseches Bava Metzia. Wednesday evenings at 8:40 PM (note new time) on Zoom H.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 or 929-205-6099 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 833 3477 1595, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 601 853 4021, passcode Winter (phone 667362)
Zoom E: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom F: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom H: ID: 849 3898 4989, passcode 161699
Thank you to the Weekday Shiurim Sponsors for this Past Week:
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur – David Jaray in memory of Rabbi Hyatt, Z"L, and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur and in memory of parents, Avraham Ben Tzvi HaLevi & Ada Bas Menachem Aryeh, Z"L, and Rabbi Hillel & Mrs. Myrna Klavan, Z"L; Zvi Malin in memory of his grandmother, Selma Miller, Sima Zelda Bas Chaim whose Yahrzeit was on the 3rd of Sivan.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur – Judy & David Marwick to commemorate the first Yahrzeit of David Finkelstein, David Ben Berel, Z"L, whose first Yahrzeit was 27 Iyar.
Want to sponsor a Shabbos or weekday Shiur? Please email email@example.com for details. Thank you for your support.