Included in the PDF are the Israel Report, Hamaayan, Likutei Torah and GWCK Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shuvah Shorts
September 25 – 26, 2020 – 8 Tishrei 5781 – Parshas Haazinu/Shabbos Shuvah
Light Candles by 6:41 – Havdalah 7:38
September 27 – 28, 2020 – 10 Tishrei 5781 – Yom Kippur
Light Candles by 6:38 – Havdalah 7:35
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Marilyn Edeson, Fred, Karen, and Jonah Edeson, Amy, Natalie Julia, and Taylor Jade Morrison on Morris Edeson's 80th birthday today and by David Mazel with Hakoras Hatov to President Trump and Jared Kushner for their efforts and successes to support the State of Israel and further the peace process.
* Gabe & Zahava Bensimon on Chananya becoming a Bar Mitzvah! Mazal Tov as well to the Zwillinger, Bensimon and Broder families.
* Debbie & Jacob Frenkel on the birth of their first grandchild, Adira Hallel, to Tova & Chaim Frenkel of Atlanta, Georgia. Mazal Tov also to Uncles Menachem and Yosef and to Aunts Shoshana and Eliana.
* Cindy Bauman on the passing of her brother, Allan Cooper. Cindy will observe Shiva until Yom Kippur. Cindy may be reached during Shiva by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by text at 301-613-8666.
Shabbos and Yom Kippur Schedule
Limited Minyanim are now taking place at YISE under Montgomery County's Phase 2 guidelines. All Minyanim require advance registration and confirmation. If you are interested in attending Minyanim and have not already registered, please go to https://www.yise.org/minyan If you are registered for a Minyan and are unable to attend at that time, please do not go to a different Minyan. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com Shabbos
* Light Candles by 6:41
* Mincha: 6:50, 6:50 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis: 6:50, 9:00, 9:30, 8:45 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 2:30, 5:00, 5:50 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 7:38
Important notes for those registered for Minyanim on Yom Kippur:
* Bring your own Machzor
* Shacharis starts with Hamelech (Ashkenazi)/Borchu (Sephardi)
* Bring a surface to bow on in Mussaf
* Light Candles by 6:38, and not before Plag, 5:54
* Kol Nidrei: 6:40, 6:40 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis: 6:45, 10:15, 8:40 (Sephardi)
* Mincha/Neilah: 2:30, 5:15, 4:45 (Sephardi)
* Yom Kippur ends: 7:35
* Advance registration for Minyanim is required and space is limited. Go to https://www.yise.org/minyan to register. If you have changes to your original registration form, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with details.
* During Tishrei, we will have some weekday Minyanim in the tent in addition to the Minyanim in the building. If you are interested, please contact email@example.com
* All other activities at YISE are cancelled, including Youth Groups, Shiurim and special events.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and updated times, go to https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday through Friday 8:30 AM – Zoom A, will resume on Tuesday, September 29.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM – Zoom A, will resume on Tuesday, September 29.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, will resume after Sukkos.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now studying Sefer Yehoshua,Wednesdays, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact firstname.lastname@example.org Zoom B.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men and Women – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM, will resume on September 27.
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, Zoom C.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom H.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, 7:40 PM, Zoom G, will resume after Sukkos.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM (except as noted). For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361, will resume after Sukkos.
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver. For more information, please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: firstname.lastname@example.org or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, Zoom K.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM, will resume after Sukkos.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 784 431 8176
Zoom C: ID: 349 754 2180, password GWCK
Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, password GWCK
Zoom F: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom G: ID: 269 840 3648, password online Pearls, phone 621690
Zoom H: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom I: ID: 977 463 8680, password GWCK
Zoom J: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom K: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
YISE Youth Announcements
Holiday Story Time – Join YISE Youth for a three part story time, with holiday stories about the Chagim. Part 3 – Thursday, October 1 at 5:30 PM on Zoom A. See flyer for details.
YISE Youth Jewish Music Dance Party with Lauren Balsam of Swag Cardio Kidz! Sunday, October 25, 5:00 PM – 5:45 PM. For girls K-5th grade. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org. See flyer for details.
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome new members who were voted in at the last Board meeting: Marilyn & Morris Edeson, Goldie & Ben Fields, Ms. Julie Gittelman & Mr. Harry Hoshovsky, Janette & Dr. Jerry Rapp and Eliana & Merric Srour.
The 5781 Yizkor Guide was extremely successful this year. Due to a strong show of support from our members, the Guide nearly doubled its usual size.Many thanks to Rabbi Rosenbaum, Simi Franco, Manasseh Katz and Seth Katz for their tremendous efforts in helping to prepare the Guide. Thank you to Rabbi Sanford Shudnow for creating the beautiful cover design. Thank you also to all those who made contributions to the Yizkor Guide and found it to be a meaningful way of connecting to our dear YISE community during this isolating time. May all of us be Zocheh to be able to daven together again in Shul very soon, Debbie and Marc Katz.
Sukkah Share – Join the YISE Sukkah Share! Hosts sign up to lend their Sukkah when they are not using it. Guests sign up to borrow a Sukkah for a meal. Go to https://wp.yise.org/sukkah or see flyer for details.
Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class – now on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, October 5, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom. Meeting ID – 871 7697 8136, password 329598. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
Aravot Sale – Bnei Akiva of Silver Spring is selling Aravot for Hoshana Rabba. Pickup Thursday, October 8, 7:00 PM – 8:30 PM and Friday, October 9 at all Shacharis Minyanim. Pre-order at https://wp.yise.org/aravot
YISE Women's Learning Initiative presents pre-Simchas Torah Learning for Women – Monday night October 5 (Chol Hamoed Sukkos) at 8:00 PM, Zoom A. Speakers will be Mrs. Atara Rosenbaum, "Worshiping on Empty? Reaching Out to G-d on Sukkos in 2020", and Mrs. Rachel Kosowsky, "The Messages of Ma'aseh Bereishit". See flyer for details.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this much-needed medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Community Programs & Listings
Mikvah Update – The Wallerstein Mikvah will not be available this year for use by men prior to Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. Thank you to all those who helped support MES through our recent virtual event. If you were unable to participate, please consider donating to our important work. In addition to covering our normal operating expenses, we have additional costs to keep the Mikvah secure and clean during the Covid-19 outbreak. To donate, please visit www.mikvahemunah.com
YGW Annual Selichos Shiur for Women – Motzei Shabbos, September 26, 9:15 PM – Mrs. Rosenbaum, 10:05 PM – Mrs. Teitelbaum. Zoom – Meeting ID: 813 9246 0378, passcode: Wfz0ry. For information contact Rabbi Katz, firstname.lastname@example.org
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, September 30, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Journey to Virtue: Self-Development through Jewish Study – Wednesdays, 8:00 PM on Zoom. Discover the great wisdom of the Jewish tradition to help you reach your full potential, enhance your relationships, and live life with greater meaning! Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. The journey continues. Join any time! No cost. Zoom info and registration at linksgw.org/classes
Yom Tov Appeal Sustains Community Safety Net – The Franco Foundation needs your tax-deductible donations to meet increasing Yom Tov aid requests by individuals and families in our community unable to make ends meet and hurt by the COVID plague's impact on our local economy. The Foundation helps with life essentials like rent, mortgage, utilities and food. Over the years, the Franco Foundation has helped hundreds of families and individuals facing financial crisis and continues to do so with the help and commitment from our community. Mail donations to Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or send through PayPal at firstname.lastname@example.org
Silver Spring Eruv Association Annual Appeal – SSEA is now an IRS 501(c)(3) organization. Donations made directly to SSEA will now be tax deductible to the maximum extent permitted by law. Details of the appeal are on www.yise.org/eruv Donations may be made using the Eruv PayPal button on that page or by mail to SSEA, 707 Lamberton Drive, Silver Spring, MD 20902.
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 7:00 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM, Friday 5:45 PM.
Zichron Menachem Hair Drive – Covid-19 caused us to cancel our usual drive, but this did not deter our wonderful donors. They just cut their braids at home. Starting in July, one of my amazing hairdressers, Susan Kwak, from Style Salon, cut hair once again. She told me that she would continue to offer free donation haircuts to anyone with 12 inches of hair or more. If you or anyone you know would like to donate hair, please call or text Nancy, at 301-452-7080. Don't hesitate to leave a message. Susan works Sundays and Tuesdays. You can pick your time. Thank you and Tizku L'Mitzvot!
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Kemp Mill Village is providing friendly phone calls and limited deliveries during the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer. See kempmillvillage.org for more information.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org – Sponsor name, Birthday or anniversary date, Name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
var Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis. Our current limited ability to Daven with a Minyan and to say Kaddish is difficult and a challenge. However, sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Sunday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The Pre-Shabbos Drasha video is available for sponsorship at $54.
Please email email@example.com to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha and Halacha Shiur
* Steve Kalin in honor of Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur and great stories
* Debbie Rogal and Jay Rogal in honor of a Refuah Shleima for Alyssa Kibler, Ariella Chaya bat Faigy Hench.
* Judy & Rabbi Roy Rosenbaum in honor of Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum's birthday, which was the 4th of Tishrei.
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray for a Refuah Sheleima for Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend the shiur.
* Chani and Jay Parness in memory of parents and grandparents and a Refuah Sheleima for Rabbi Hyatt.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Erev Shabbos Drasha
* Rochelle Dimont, Sahra & Yale Ginsburg & family, Yocheved & Jonathan Neuman & family, Chayim & Michele Dimont & Family in Memory of Rabbi Avraham Mordechai Dimont whose Yahrtzeit is the 9th of Tishrei.
* Debby & Rabbi Barry Greengart in commemoration of the Yahrtzeit of Rabbi Greengart's father, Zvi ben Ben Tzion, Z"L, whose yahrtzeit was the 29th of Elul.
* Judy & Rabbi Roy Rosenbaum in memory of Judy's mother, Leah Mann, Rachel Leah bas HaRav Eliyahu Chaim, Z"L.
The Week Ahea
Sunday Sept. 27 – Erev Yom Kippur
Monday September 28 – Yom Kippur
Limited Minyanim will take place at YISE next week, advance registration and confirmation required. You are encouraged to Daven at home at the same time as a Minyan at YISE. Shacharis: Sunday 6:30 AM/7:30 AM/8:45 AM, Tuesday through Friday 6:00 AM/7:00 AM/8:45 AM. Mincha and/or Maariv: Sunday 3:00 PM, Tuesday – Thursday: 6:40 PM
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:15 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:59 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:29 PM
October 2 – 4, 2020 – 15 – 16 Tishrei 5781
Light Candles: Friday by: 6:30
Havdalah: Sunday 7:25
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, September 30 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com Website: www.yise.org
Office Hours: Closed Monday – Yom Kippur
Tuesday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday – 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Simi Franco – Office Manager