Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shofar Shorts
September 4-7, 2013 – 1-3 Tishrei 5774
Rosh Hashanah / Parshas Ha'azinu – Shbbos Shuvah
Rosh Hashanah Schedule
Erev Rosh Hashanah, Wednesday, September 4:
* Eruv Tavshilin
* Light Candles by 7:15
* Mincha 7:15 (All locations)
First Day Rosh Hashanah, Thursday, Sept. 5:
* Shacharis 7:30, (8:00 Sephardi),
* Shofar: 10:00, (9:45 Nusach Sefard)
* Mincha & Tashlich 6:45 (6:35 Sephardi)
* Maariv 8:05 (All locations)
* Light Candles after 8:13
(No preparations shall be done before this time.)
Second Day Rosh Hashanah, Friday, Sept. 6:
* Shacharis 7:30, 8:00 (Sephardi),
* Shofar: 10:00 (9:45 Nusach Sefard)
September 6-7, 2013 – 3 Tishrei 5774
Parshas Ha'azinu – Shabbos Shuvah
* Light Candles by 7:12, and not before 6:11
* Mincha 6:30, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard at Univ., and Sephardi), 7:15
* Shacharis 7:00, 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:45 (Arcola and Nusach Sefard at Univ.)
* Mincha 2:30, 6:25 (Sephardi), 6:20 (Nusach Sefard at Univ.) 6:40 (Arcola)
* Rabbi's Drasha 7:05
* Maariv/Havdalah 8:10
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 5:40 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Drasha after Mincha at Arcola.
Sunday, September 8
* Fast Begins 5:21
* Early Mincha 1:45 (Arcola)
* Mincha 6:50 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv 7:40 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Fast Ends 8:08
The Youth Minyan will NOT meet this Shabbos.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
* Yosi Scharf on his engagement to Nechama Krieger of Philadelphia.
* Minette Akman on the loss of her sister, Ruth Montrose. The funeral was held in Israel and Shiva was completed before Rosh Hashanah.
* Former member, Sharon Altshul on the loss of her father, former member, Harold Marks. The funeral was held in Israel and Shiva was completed before Rosh Hashanah.
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE Together-for-5 – Has resumed with a series running through the Aseres Yemei Teshuvah of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum focusing on Themes of the High Holiday Prayers. For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington & YISE Chesed Committee present Rabbi Koss speaking on "Yom Kippur through the Ages." Monday, September 9, 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215 (Mr. Marvin Konick's apartment). Light refreshments will be served. For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Annual Rabbi Yissocher Frand Teshuva Drasha, Wednesday September 11, 8:00 PM, YISE Arcola – Belonofsky Sanctuary. High Holiday Setup – Volunteers needed to move books, chairs, mechitzas, etc. University – Friday, September 13, (10:00 AM to 11:00 AM); contact email@example.com or 301-593-5745.
Lulavim and Esrogim – Once again, YISE will be selling, as a fundraiser to support the Shul, through Elli Chai's. Orders can be made at www.yise.org/lulav or by calling the shul office. Sign up now and support YISE! This offer ends on September 11.
Help make a Minyan! – We are looking for volunteers who would like to participate in the Mitzvah of helping to make a Minyan three or four times per year. We are putting together a list in order to form a rotation to help the University Blvd. Shul make a Mincha/Maariv Minyan on Fridays and Shabbos days when they anticipate a shortfall. Please contact Melvin Sassoon at firstname.lastname@example.org to be part of this endeavor.
Job Assist Events:
* LinkedIn for Beginners – Wednesday, September 11, 1:00 PM – 2:30 PM, 200 Wood Hill Road, Rockville. Info and register at www.jssa.org.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett – 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has started a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org or pick up a form in the lobby.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash – Will resume on October 2.
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays following Mincha/Maariv at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Join us as we continue the fascinating topic of "Dina D'malchusa Dina: The Intersection of Jewish and Secular Law." Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency. Thursdays, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM.
* See the Week Ahead schedule on back for remainder of schedule. All times listed are for Selichos, followed by Shacharis.
Community Programs and Listings
Shaimos Alert – Some members of the community might have recently picked up a Jewish Artists of the Northeast calendar from ShopRite. Please note the June display has Shaimos in it. That page of art should be separated from the calendar and put in shaimos before discarding the calendar.
The Women's Discussion Group will meet 5:00 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive. We will be reading "The Garden of Emunah."
Mikvah Emunah Society is pleased to announce that the Woodside Keilim Mikvah is now back in service! It's located at the rear of 1305 Ballard Street, and the entrance is through the driveway. The Keilim Mikvah is open only during daylight hours.
Yeshiva Boys are available to help Kemp Mill residents set up their Succahs. Call Rabbi Hes, 301- 649-7077, ext. 1528, to make arrangements.
The Wallerstein Mikvah (913 Grays Lane in Kemp Mill) will be available for men's usage on Friday, Erev Yom Kippur from 7:30 AM to 3:00 PM. Volunteers are needed to assist at the Mikvah on that day. If you are able to volunteer, please contact Ari Israel – email@example.com.
Professional Clothing Drive – Donate your gently used professional clothes and accessories. Help men & women literally suit up for the office. For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Warwick Sukkah is back! New location by the pool deck. Volunteers needed for set up and take down. Please contact email@example.com or 301-593-4161.
Over 50 and looking for work? The JCA is offering five new sessions of The Career Gateway. This program comprises 30 hours of small-group instruction for only $75! The first session begins September 23. For more information, contact Ellen Greenberg at 301-255-4215 or egreenberg@AccessJCA.org.
AMIT is selling beautiful New Year's cards at $2.50 each. Please call Esther Edeson at 301-593-1468.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington Annual Event will take place on Sunday, October 20, at 10:00 AM at Beth Sholom. Honorees are Dr. Kurt Newman, Dr. Roger Packer and community service honoree, Mrs. Miriam Friedman. For more information and to make a reservation, please visit www. bikurcholimgw.org.
High Holy Days Appeal – The Franco Foundation helps individuals and families pay for basic needs as they face a tough economy or manage with tragic emergencies. Please send your generous taxdeductible donation to the Franco Foundation c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street or through Paypal, at the firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also refer cases to email@example.com.
Shabbos and Yom Tov Program – Tough times are driving more people for financial assistance from the Tomchei Shabbos and Yom Tov program of the Yehudah Mond Foundation. For details on contributing by phone, mail, or internet go to http://yehudamondfoundation.org/recurring_donations.asp.
Helpline for Frum with Addictions – Do you, or some one you love, have a problem with drugs, alcohol, overeating, or any other form of addiction? Please call 1-866-zehayom for confidential help geared toward the frum community. Sponsored in part by the Yehudah Mond Foundation.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, Sept. 8 – Tzom Gedaliah Monday, September 9 Tuesday, September 10 Wednesday, September 11 Thursday, September 12 Friday, Sept. 13 – Erev Yom Kippur
Arcola 6:00, 7:30, 8:45 5:45, 6:05, 7:00, 8:15 6:00, 6:15, 7:00, 8:15 6:00, 6:15, 7:00, 8:15 5:45, 6:05, 7:00, 8:15 6:15, 6:35, 7:15, 8:15
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 6:45 5:30 5:30 5:30 5:30 5:30
Arcola 1:45, 6:50 / 7:40 7:10 7:10 7:10 7:10 See Yom Kippur schedule
University 6:50 / 7:40 N/A N/A 7:10 N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:56 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:54 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:38 PM
Yom Kippur Schedule
Erev Yom Kippur, Friday, September 13:
* Mincha 3:00
* Light Candles by 7:01
* Kol Nidre 7:05
Yom Kippur, Shabbos, September 14:
* Shacharis 8:00 (All locations)
* Yizkor 11:00 (10:30 Nusach Sefard)
* Havdalah 7:58
Like YISE on Facebook:
Wednesday, September 11 Annual Rabbi Yissocher Frand Teshuva Drasha, YISE Arcola – Belonofsky Sanctuary, 8:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, September 11, at 12 noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director