Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shofar Shorts
September 15 – 17, 2023 – 1 – 2 Tishrei 5784 – Rosh Hashanah
Friday Light Candles by 6:58 – Sunday Havdalah 7:54
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored by Josh & Mickie Breitstein, Simi & Sammy Franco and Barbara Price in honor of Esther Edeson's birthday!!
The YISE Communications Committee hopes you are enjoying the shorter Shabbos Shorts! Have a comment or suggestion? Please send us your feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org
Rosh Hashanah Schedule
Minyan locations: B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall, LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis Medrash, H = The House
* Mincha: 7:00 (B, S), 6:50 (Sephardi, LBM)
Shabbos Day – 1st Day of Rosh Hashanah
* Shacharis: 6:00 (H), 8:00 (B, S) 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Mincha: 6:45 (B, S), 6:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Maariv 7:25 (B, S)
* Light Candles/Kiddush after: 7:55
Sunday – 2nd Day of Rosh Hashanah
* Shacharis: 6:00 (H), 8:00 (B, S) 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shofar no earlier than 10:00 (B, S, Sephardi)
* Shofar 4:45 (outside H, in case of rain B)
* Mincha followed by Tashlich: 6:15 (B, S), 6:50 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Maariv/Yom Tov ends 7:54 (B, S)
Monday, September 18
* Fast Begins 5:32
* Early Mincha: 1:45 (B)
* Mincha: 6:35 (B), 6:45 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Maariv: 7:25 (B)
* Fast Ends 7:52
* Shiur before Shabbos Mincha – 6:00 (B) Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Barbara Price on the engagement of her grandson, Yehuda Spivak, to Kyra Appel. Mazal Tov to parents, Debra & Rabbi Marc Spivak, (West Orange, NJ) and Robin & Michael Appel (Jamaica Estates, NY). Mazal Tov to all of the grandparents, siblings, aunts, uncles, and cousins.
* Arleeta & Rabbi Dr. Ivan Lerner on the engagement of their granddaughter Rena Lerner to Shookie (Josh) Jacobs. Mazal Tov to Rena's parents, Alyson & Rabbi Dr. Daniel Lerner and to Shookie's parents, Tamar & Norman Blumenthal and Arye & Lori Jacobs.
* Josh & Margalit Mogilner on the passing of their son, Yisroel Eliezer Mogilner.
* Judy Stern on the passing of her husband, David Stern. Condolences to Sue Stern on the loss of her son, to Shira Rosenbaum and Moshe Stern on the loss of their father, and to Judi Flax on the loss of her brother.
YISE Youth Announcements
Teen Minyan – The Teen Minyan, led by Rabbi Moshe Holzer, 9:15 in The House, will resume on September 23, Shabbos Shuvah.
Shabbos Groups will resume on September 23, Shabbos Shuvah.
For more information, contact Sharon Shimoff at email@example.com
* Follow YISE on WhatsApp for important announcements and updates: https://wp.yise.org/whatsapp
* Selichos Times – All Ashkenazi Minyanim Monday through Friday will be Selichos followed by Shacharis. See The Week Ahead for details.
* Finding Meaning in the Machzor – September 19. First Shiur and Meaningful Machzor recordings available online at https://wp.yise.org/machzor See flyer for details.
* Seating assignments for Rosh Hashanah were sent out by email on Wednesday. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions, concerns, or last-minute reservations. Seating assignments for Yom Kippur will be sent out shortly afterRosh Hashanah.
* The Annual Teshuva Drasha by Rabbi Yissocher Frand will take place on Wednesday September 20, 8:30 PM in the Belonofsky Sanctuary. See flyer for details.
* YISE will be open at 7:30 AM for all to come and prepare for davening on both days of Rosh Hashanah. We welcome all of our members and guests to utilize this special time to learn, say Tehillim, or take the opportunity to focus on Tefillos before Davening on Yom HaDin.
* Lulavim & Esrogim – YISE is working with Josh Breitstein to bring you the finest quality Arba Minim sets. Complete details and order form online at www.yise.org/lulav Orders must be placed by Tuesday, September 19. Pickup at YISE on Wednesday, September 27. See flyer for details.
* Simchas Torah Day Learning for Women – Simchas Torah morning, Sunday, October 8, 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM with Mrs. Sharon Freundel and Mrs. Atara Rosenbaum. See flyer for details.
* Labor Day Learning – "Repeat Offender: Doing Teshuva for the Same Transgressions – a Halachic Analysis" – Sources available at www.yise.org/repeat-offender-sources.pdf and audio recording at www.yise.org/repeat-offender-audio.mp3
* Coatroom Cleanup – The coat racks in the upper lobby and the lower lobby coatroom have been reorganized. "Lost and Found" items have been moved to the coat rack by the washing stand in the upper lobby. Please claim and remove your items. We will dispose of unclaimed items in the next few weeks.
* YISE Logo Contest – Calling all graphic designers! YISE is looking for a logo to celebrate our 75th year, and our 50th year at the Arcola building. Send entries to email@example.com See flyer for details.
* New Welcoming Committee! If you would like to welcome a new person or family to your Shabbos table and the YISE community, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "happy to welcome" and we will contact you for details.
* Mazal Tov on the Birth of Your Son or Daughter! YISE can help organize meals. Contact Miriam Levson at 901-481-7133 or email@example.com Rose Blynn at 410-522-8624 or firstname.lastname@example.org Send details to email@example.com
* Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary! Want to celebrate a Birthday or Anniversary? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for details. Thank you for your support.
* Seeking Shalosh Seudos Sponsors for the next few months. Sponsorships start at $375. To sponsor, contact Simi Franco at 301-593-4465, ext. 103, or email@example.com or Ethan Cohen at firstname.lastname@example.org Contact Ethan Cohen to volunteer to set up and clean up. The following dates are not available due to the holidays: 9/16, 9/23, 9/30, and 10/7.
* Online YISE Cholim List – Go to https://wp.yise.org/cholim to add a name to the list. The list is used at the 8:45 Minyan on Monday, Thursday, and Shabbos. For questions about Mi Sheberach guidelines, contact Rabbi Rosenbaum. For other questions, contact Seth Katz at email@example.com
* Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, a part of YISE's Chesed Committee, provides assistance to families undergoing medical crises. If you do not have a Helping Hands account, or if you have any questions, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
* Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at https://audio.yise.org
Thank you to the Shabbos Shiurim Sponsors for this Past Week:
Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur – David Jaray in honor of Rabbi Grossman and all those who attend his Shiur.
Want to sponsor a Shabbos or weekday Shiur? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for details. Thank you for your support.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, Sept. 17 – Rosh Hashanah
Monday, Sept. 18 – Tzom Gedaliah
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 5:37 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 6:04 AM, Latest Netz: 6:57 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:56 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:34 PM, Earliest Shkia: 7:03 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim 7:54 PM
September 22 – 23, 2023 – 8 Tishrei 5784
Parashas Haazinu/Shabbos Shuvah
Light Candles by 6:47 – Havdalah 7:44
* Mincha: 6:50 (B), 6:45 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 6:15 (B), 6:10 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 7:44
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline:
Wednesday, September 20, at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Assistant Rabbi
Josh Seidemann – President
Simi Franco – Office Manager
Josh Breitstein – Facility Manager
Weekday and Community Announcements
Upcoming Community Programs & Listings
Erev Yom Tov Mikvah for Men – The Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington (MES) is pleased to offer use of the Wallerstein Mikvah in Kemp Mill to men, on Erev Rosh Hashanah and Erev Yom Kippur. Volunteers are needed as well. Please see https://mikvahemunah.com/men for all the info. Thank you!
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, September 20, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM, on Zoom. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more information. Zoom Meeting ID: 986 546 841, Passcode: 3671
Franco Foundation Rosh Hashana/Yom Kippur Community Appeal – Make your tax-deductible donations via PayPal to firstname.lastname@example.org Zelle 202-422-1021 or mail your check to The Franco Foundation, 613 Bromley Street, Silver Spring. MD 20902. Thank you!
Yad Yehuda Yomim Nora'im Appeal – Yad Yehuda expects to spend over $120,000 to assist hundreds of individualsacross our community from Rosh Hashanah to Sukkot. We will provide food, financial help, lulav/etrog sets, and more, in a dignified and confidential manner to ensure that our neighbors in need can enjoy the holidays free from financial strain. Please give generously! Donate online at www.yadyehuda.org/donate
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington Elul Campaign – BCGW is here for you whether you have an urgent medical need or need long term help. Your gift translates into kosher food in our area's Bikur Cholim hospital kosher pantries and respite rooms in our area. Your support means that patients and families who are receiving medical treatments at NIH, area hospitals, and treatment centers can stay at the Bernard Creeger Bikur Cholim House. Your donation means borrowing necessary and otherwise expensive medical equipment, receiving free transportation to medical appointments, or accessing social support. Thanks to you BCGW provides emergency grants to help pay for medical, mental health and dental bills. Please donate at https://causematch.com/bikurcholimgw
Four Kabbalistic Secrets for Enduring Relationships in a Modern World – Join the Mikvah Emunah Society as we welcome renowned speaker Rivka Slonim to speak to the women of our community on Wednesday, October 18, at 8:00 PM at Chabad of Silver Spring. This event is part of the Robin Niman Mikvah Education Fund and is free to attend, but RSVPs are required and sponsorships are welcomed. For more details, visit https://mikvahemunah.com and click on "Events". Questions? Email email@example.com
Dirshu – Join Kollel Dirshu of Silver Spring, now studying Maseches Bava Basra, at YGW. Daily morning shiur by Rabbi Eli Reingold at 5:45 AM and evening shiur by Ranon Cortell and Pinchas Werner at 9:00 PM. Chavrusas also available during these times. For more info. and to join our program, contact Hirsh Komarow 301-633-6262 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Lisa Landy Memorial Fund – Lisa devoted the better part of the last three decades teaching pre-schoolers in Jewish schools in the Washington, DC area. Lisa was a staunch advocate of the Reggio Emilia teaching approach, which encourages students to direct their own learning and fosters their independent thinking and self-confidence. The Lisa Landy Memorial Fund was established to train teachers in local Jewish schools in the Reggio method. To make a taxdeductible donation or for more information, contact Eli Landy at 301-401-9475 or email@example.com
Recurring Community Programs & Listings
Join the Buddy Network – Do you live alone and want a buddy? Do you want to volunteer to be a buddy? Have a buddy check in during extreme weather or power outages. Make sure you have the basic necessities when you can't get out. Register at https://goldennetwork.org/buddynetwork For more info. call 301-732-1773 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Rays of Wisdom – Life Lessons From Pirkei Avos – Greater Washington Community Kollel invites women of the community to a weekday morning text-based Chaburah led by Mrs. Channah Cohen. Mondays at 10:00 AM at the home of Mrs. Aviva Werner, 815 Lamberton Drive. For more information, email email@example.com or call 773-219-5397.
Pirkei Avos: Ethics for Everyday Living – presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps on Zoom. Wednesdays, 12:15 PM – 1:00 PM. For Zoom info and registration go to https://linksgw.org/classes
Zoom Shiurim with Rabbi Levy – Monday through Friday on Zoom, Meeting ID: 636 563 5989. Alshich – 9:20 AM – 10:15 AM. Gemara Ribit 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM. Hilchot Lashon Hara 12:45 PM – 1:45 PM.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Siddur with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM, on Zoom B. For more information, call 301-732-1773 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT"L, with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at email@example.com
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets at the YGW Boys' Campus. Weekdays also online via a WebEx video conference. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 8:45 PM. Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before the latest YISE Mincha.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
Options for in-person and remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A, will resume on Sunday, October 22.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 6:30 PM. This Shiur has been cancelled.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM, Zoom A, will not meet on Thursday, September 21.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A, will resume on Tuesday, September 26.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Sefer Iyov, Zoom A, will resume on Wednesday, October 11.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A, will resume on Wednesday, September 27.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM breakfast, 9:45 AM, will resume on Sunday, October 15.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C, will resume on Sunday, September 24.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info., contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara, will resume on Monday, October 16.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom E, will resume on Wednesday, October 18.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom F.
* For Women: Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys – Zoom D, will resume after Sukkos.
* SCP (Semichas Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM at YISE. Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. Register at https://thegreaterwashingtoncommunitykollel.com/scp For more information please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com New semester will begin after Sukkos, date to be announced.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday 7:35 AM – 8:22 AM, Monday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:22 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* Chavrusa Learning – Monday nights in the Social Hall, 8:30 PM – 9:30 PM. For more information, contact Rabbi Levy at 240-423-8810.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Mondays at 8:45 AM, studying Parashas Hashavua, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "Profits from the Prophets", in-person in the Small Beis Medrash and on Zoom G.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning the 7th Perek of Maseches Bava Metzia. Wednesday evenings, schedule to be determined, on Zoom H.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 or 929-205-6099 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 833 3477 1595, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter (phone 667362)
Zoom E: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom F: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom H: ID: 849 3898 4989, password 161699
Thank you to the Weekday Shiurim Sponsors for this Past Week:
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur – David Jaray in memory of Rabbi Hyatt, Z"L, and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur and in memory of parents, Avraham Ben Tzvi HaLevi & Ada Bas Menachem Aryeh, Z"L, and Rabbi Hillel & Mrs. Myrna Klavan, Z"L.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur – Sponsored by the Shiur's attendees, in honor of, and in gratitude to, Rabbi Rosenbaum, for continuing this Shiur over so many years, an excellent combination of serious learning and friendship.
Want to sponsor a Shabbos or weekday Shiur? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for details. Thank you for your support.