Included in the PDF are the Israel Report, Hamaayan, Likutei Torah and GWCK Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shofar Shorts
September 18 – 20, 2020 – 1 – 2 Tishrei 5781 – Rosh Hashanah
Light Candles by 6:52 – Havdalah 7:48
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Rabbi Haim & Jacqueline Arzouan to thank Rabbi Rosenbaum, the Minyan attendees and the community for their support and comfort at this difficult time of sorrow upon the passing of Rabbi David Arzouane, Z”L, from Washington Heights, NY. May Hashem bless the New Year with all His Goodness.
* Rabbi Haim Arzouan on the passing of his brother, Rabbi David Arzouane. Sign up to learn Mishnayos for the Shloshim, 25 Tishrei, at https://www.lzechernishmas.com/signup.php?id=7987
Rosh Hashanah Schedule
Limited Minyanim are now taking place at YISE under Montgomery County's Phase 2 guidelines. All Minyanim require advance registration and confirmation. If you are interested in attending Minyanim and have not already registered, please go to https://www.yise.org/minyan If you are registered for a Minyan and are unable to attend at that time, please do not go to a different Minyan. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Important notes for those registered for Minyanim on Rosh Hashanah:
* Bring your own Machzor
* Shacharis starts with Hamelech (Ashkenazi)/Borchu (Sephardi)
* Bring a surface to bow on in Mussaf
* Light Candles by 6:52, and not before Plag, 5:54
* Mincha: 5:45, 7:00, 7:00 (Sephardi)
If you Daven Maariv prior to Shkia (7:10 PM), it is preferable to Daven Mincha prior to Plag (5:54 PM).
Rosh Hashanah – First Day – Shabbos:
* Shacharis: 6:40, 10:00, 8:30 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 4:30, 6:50, 6:10 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Light Candles and Kiddush after: 7:49
Rosh Hashanah – Second Day – Sunday:
* Shacharis: 6:40, 10:00, 8:30 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 4:30, 6:00, 6:45 (Sephardi)
* Shofar in the Tent (next to Parkland Pool) 6:30 See flyer for additional times and locations around Kemp Mill.
* Yom Tov ends/Maariv: 7:48
* Advance registration for Minyanim is required and space is limited. Go to https://www.yise.org/minyan to register. If you have changes to your original registration form, please send an email to email@example.com with details.
* During Tishrei, we will have some weekday Minyanim in the tent in addition to the Minyanim in the building. If you are interested, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* All other activities at YISE are cancelled, including Youth Groups, Shiurim and special events.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
YISE Youth Announcements
Holiday Story Time – Join YISE Youth for a three part story time, with holiday stories about the Chagim. September 24 and October 1 at 5:30 PM on Zoom A. See flyer for details.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and updated times, go to https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday through Friday 8:30 AM – Zoom A, will resume on Monday, September 21.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM – Zoom A, will resume on Tuesday, September 22.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A, will resume on September 27.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now studying Sefer Yehoshua,Wednesdays, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact email@example.com Zoom B.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men and Women – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM, will resume on September 27.
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, Zoom C.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom H, will resume on September 27.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, 7:40 PM, Zoom G, will resume after Sukkos.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM (except as noted). For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men & Women – Zoom D (except as noted):
* Mondays: (for men only) Rabbi H. Shaps, On the Same Page Gemara, Zoom C.
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Grossman – Parshas Hashavua, 8:15 PM
* For Women – will resume after Sukkos.
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver. For more information, please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: email@example.com or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, Zoom K. This week's topic is Yom Kippur.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM, Zoom J.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 784 431 8176
Zoom C: ID: 349 754 2180, password GWCK
Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, password GWCK
Zoom F: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom G: ID: 269 840 3648, password online Pearls, phone 621690
Zoom H: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom I: ID: 977 463 8680, password GWCK
Zoom J: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom K: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
YISE Programs and Listings
Simchas Torah Kiddush-to-Go – Join YISE in celebrating Simchas Torah as a community by sponsoring a Kiddush-to-Go. We wish we could celebrate in person as usual, but instead, we will deliver a kiddush bag to your home before Simchas Torah! The Kiddush-to-Go will be delivered to all YISE members (as if this were a regular Shul kiddush) in the local area, including Kemp Mill, White Oak, Woodside, and Rockville. There are several sponsorship opportunities available. All information must be received by Wednesday, September 23 at 10:00 am for inclusion with the Kiddush. Go to https://wp.yise.org/kiddush for details.
The Annual Teshuva Drasha – Rabbi Yissocher Frand – Thursday, September 24, 8:30 PM. See flyer for details.
YISE Women's Learning Initiative presents pre-Simchas Torah Learning for Women – Monday night October 5 (Chol Hamoed Sukkos) at 8:00 PM, Zoom A. Speakers will be Mrs. Atara Rosenbaum, “Worshiping on Empty? Reaching Out to G-d on Sukkos in 2020”, and Mrs. Rachel Kosowsky, “The Messages of Ma’aseh Bereishit”. See flyer for details.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT”L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Community Programs & Listings
Kemp Mill Communal Shofar Blowing – For those who will not be able to attend a minyan on Rosh Hashanah, Kemp Millfs shuls are organizing Shofar blowings at outdoor locations throughout the community on Sunday, September 20, the second day of Rosh Hashanah. A list of times and locations are attached, along with procedures for making this experience safe. See flyer for details.
Mikvah Update ] The Wallerstein Mikvah will not be available this year for use by men prior to Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. Thank you to all those who helped support MES through our recent virtual event. If you were unable to participate, please consider donating to our important work. In addition to covering our normal operating expenses, we have additional costs to keep the Mikvah secure and clean during the Covid-19 outbreak. To donate, please visit www.mikvahemunah.com
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, September 23, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Journey to Virtue: Self-Development through Jewish Study – Wednesdays, 8:00 PM on Zoom. Discover the great wisdom of the Jewish tradition to help you reach your full potential, enhance your relationships, and live life with greater meaning! Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. The journey continues. Join any time! No cost. Zoom info and registration at linksgw.org/classes
Yom Tov Appeal Sustains Community Safety Net – The Franco Foundation needs your tax-deductible donations to meet increasing Yom Tov aid requests by individuals and families in our community unable to make ends meet, and hurt by the COVID plaguefs impact on our local economy. The Foundation helps with life essentials, like rent, mortgage, utilities and food. Over the years, the Franco Foundation has helped hundreds of families and individuals facing financial crisis and continues to do so with the help and commitment from our community. Mail donations to Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or send through PayPal at firstname.lastname@example.org
Silver Spring Eruv Association Annual Appeal – SSEA is now an IRS 501(c)(3) organization. Donations made directly to SSEA will now be tax deductible to the maximum extent permitted by law. Details of the appeal are on www.yise.org/eruv Donations may be made using the Eruv PayPal button on that page or by mail to SSEA, 707 Lamberton Drive, Silver Spring, MD 20902.
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 7:00 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM, Friday 5:45 PM.
Zichron Menachem Hair Drive – Covid-19 caused us to cancel our usual drive, but this did not deter our wonderful donors. They just cut their braids at home. Starting in July, one of my amazing hairdressers Susan Kwak, from Style Salon, cut hair once again. She told me that she would continue to offer free donation haircuts to anyone with 12 inches of hair or more. If you or anyone you know would like to donate hair, please call or text Nancy, at 301- 452-7080. Don't hesitate to leave a message. Susan works Sundays and Tuesdays. You can pick your time. Thank you and Tizku L'Mitzvot!
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click gSign Up.h
Kemp Mill Village is providing friendly phone calls and limited deliveries during the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer. See kempmillvillage.org for more information.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Monday Sept. 21 – Tzom Gedaliah
Fast Begins: 5:35 AM Ends: 7:46 PM
Limited Minyanim will take place at YISE next week, advance registration and confirmation required. You are encouraged to Daven at home at the same time as a Minyan at YISE. Shacharis: Monday through Friday 5:45 AM/6:45 AM/8:30 AM. Mincha and/or Maariv: Monday: 1:45 PM, 6:15 PM (Sephardi Selichot)/6:40 PM, Tuesday – Thursday: 6:25 PM (Sephardi Selichot)/6:55 PM.
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:08 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:57 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:32 PM
September 25 – 26, 2020 – 8-9 Tishrei 5781
Parshas Haazinu/Shabbos Shuvah
Light Candles by: 6:41
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, September 23 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com Website: www.yise.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday – 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Simi Franco – Office Manager
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis. Our current limited ability to Daven with a Minyan and to say Kaddish is difficult and a challenge. However, sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Sunday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The Pre-Shabbos Drasha video is available for sponsorship at $54.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha and Halacha Shiur
* Simi and Sammy Franco in honor of Esther Edeson's birthday
* Steve Kalin in honor of Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur and great stories
* Ruthie and Bill Konick in honor of Esther Edeson's birthday
* Judy and Dr. David Marwick in memory of Rabbi Chaim Arzouan's brother, Rabbi David Arzouane, Z¡¨L
* Judy and Dr. David Marwick in honor of Esther Edeson's birthday
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray for a Refuah Sheleima for Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend the shiur.
* Chani and Jay Parness in memory of parents and grandparents and a Refuah Sheleima for Rabbi Hyatt.