The Shabbos Shorts is formatted for legal size paper (8-1/2" x 14"). If you are not able to print on legal size paper, you should print using "Fit" or "Shrink oversized pages" or a similar setting.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Purim Pants
March 18-19, 2016 – 9 Adar 2 5776 – Parshas Vayikra, Parshas Zachor
Light Candles by 7:00 (and not before 6:03) – Havdalah 8:00
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Rebbetzin Yocheved Anemer on the engagement of her granddaughter, Gitty Weber, daughter of Ephraim Weber to Odom Yaakov Edelstein of Detroit.
* Pearl Bassan on the marriage of her grandson Yair Horwitz to Elisheva Rotman in Jerusalem.
* Rosanne & Howard Benn on the birth of a granddaughter to their children Efrat (Alicia) Benn & Nachum (Nathan) Lamm of Yerushalayim.
* Arline & Dr. Irving Katz on the birth of a great-grandson, born to their grandchildren, Elky & Eliezer Katz of Yerushalayim. Mazal Tov to grandparents Sharona & Shlomo Katz and Tammy & Yehuda Gilden, to great-grandparents Lorraine & Rabbi Sam Vogel, and to great-aunt and uncle Nadine & Menashe Katz.
* Arline & Dr. Irving Katz on the birth of a great-grandson, born to their grandchildren Michal & Moshe Katz of Olney. Mazal Tov to grandparents Sharona & Shlomo Katz and Deborah & Shlomo Fink, to great-grandparents Lorraine & Rabbi Sam Vogel and Mrs. Jutte Freudenstein, and to great-aunt and uncle Nadine & Menashe Katz.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman on the passing of his brother, Moshe Menachem (Max) Grauman. The funeral took place in Israel and Shiva was completed before Shabbos.
* Rivka Gordon on the passing of her father, Samuel Miller. The funeral took place in California and Shiva was completed before Shabbos.
* Rebbetzin Myrna Klavan on the passing of her husband, Rabbi Hillel Klavan, ZT"L. The funeral took place on Tuesday with burial in Israel on Wednesday. Shiva will be observed at the Klavan home, 1006 Lamberton Drive through Monday morning. Minyan schedule: Mincha/Maariv: Sunday: 7:00. Shacharis: Sunday: 8:00, Monday: 6:45.
* Light Candles by 7:00, and not before 6:03
Arcola: 6:30, 7:00 University: 7:00 Sephardi: 6:55 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan meets in the Boys' Yeshiva.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 6:50 University: 6:55 Sephardi: 6:30 Nusach Sefard: 6:55
Parshas Zachor will be repeated at the 5:00 Early Mincha, the 6:50 regular Mincha and the 6:30 Sephardi Mincha.
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:00
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* Sephardi Minyan – David Mordechai in memory of his grandmother Fricha Bat Simcha and by Avi Peretz.
* 8:45 Main Minyan / 9:15 Minyan – "Joint Kiddush" – The Haimish Kiddush Group and The 9:15 Group.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 5:50 PM
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 5:45 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola – Hilchos Purim.
* Rabbi Barry Greengart – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – now learning Sefer Shoftim.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women. A mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM – program will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Haim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:50 PM at University – will not meet this week.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall – will not meet this week.
Taanis Esther, Wednesday, March 23:
* Fast Begins 5:46
* Shacharis 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 (Sephardi 6:10, 7:10)
* Mincha 2:00, 6:45 (Sephardi 7:00)
* Fast Ends 8:04
Purim Night, Wednesday, March 23:
* Maariv/Megillah 7:55 (Arcola and Univ.) (Sephardi 7:45)
* Megillah (only) 10:00
Purim Day, T hursday, March 24:
* Shacharis/Megillah 6:00, 6:30, 7:00, 8:30 (Sephardi 7:00)
* Megillah (only) 1:15
* Mincha 2:00, 5:30 (Sephardi 2:00)
* Maariv 8:15, 9:30 (Sephardi 9:00)
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome new members who were voted in at the last Board meeting: Avigail & Herschel Bacharach, Ilana & Ben Eastman, Devorah & Dean Grayson, and Leora & Aaron Kor.
HaShomer Advertizing – Ads are being taken for the Passover edition of Hashomer. The Passover Hashomer will have Halachos and other content as in previous editions but is also planned to be enhanced with additional articles of general interest to our members. The deadline is Friday, March 25. To reserve space and submit ads, please contact the YISE office by phone or email@example.com
Be Part of Global Good Deeds Day – Join us in a Park Cleanup on Sunday, April 10 anytime between 1:00 PM – 3:00PM. Meet at the entrance to Sligo Creek Park by the parking lot near Shalom's (Kemp Mill Shopping Center). Bags, gloves, and tee shirts will be distributed. Upper School students can receive community service hours. Great for all ages! Contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Please sign up but note that drop-ins are welcome: http://www.yise.org/park Organized by YISE, KMS, BHA, and OSTT in conjunction with Montgomery Parks.
Nominations Sought – The YISE nominating committee has been appointed and is soliciting names of members in good standing who would be willing to serve for trustee and officer positions. Please send recommendations, self-nominations or questions to committee chair Stuart Rosenthal at email@example.com by April 4.
Shomrai Nursery Registration for 2016-2017 is now OPEN! Our Torah based preschool program is open from 7:30 AM until 6:00 PM. Program lengths vary according to parents' and child's needs. Tours of the school are by appointment only. Call 301-593-7365 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for inquiries.
Camp Shomrai is back! Camp Shomrai is back for another great summer for ages 2-5! For inquiries, please contact Sarah Dollman at email@example.com
The Sixth Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L – The Siyum will be held at a Shalosh Seudos on Shabbos, May 14, Parshas Kedoshim. To register for a particular section visit www.yise.org/siyum or contact Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
Help Local Holocaust Survivors in Need – Bring items listed below into Shul (bins provided in the lower lobby) for packages that will be assembled and delivered on Good Deeds Day, Sunday April 10. Kosher food: salmon, tuna, canola and olive oil, whole wheat pasta and crackers, 100% fruit juice, oatmeal, and cream of wheat. Non-food items: $10 Giant gift cards, batteries. For more information, please contact: Miriam Friedman – firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
YISE Annual Banquet
Sunday, April 3
Honoree: Barbara Price
Young Leadership Award: Adina & Josh Obstfeld
Youth Honorees: Shani Breitstein, Jessie Franco and Ahuva Wakschlag
RSVP using the card or contact the YISE office at 301-593-4465 or email@example.com or visit www.yise.org/banquet
The reservation deadline is March 23 and the Journal deadline is March 20.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by an Ice Cream kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan Kiddush club. To join the club, please contact the office.
Purim Shenanigans – Please join us this week for fun Parsha activities! Delicious snacks! Awesome prizes!: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
The YISE Youth Department is pleased to announce that we will be offering early care for groups for ages 2-5!!! Drop off your children in the Groups Room behind the women's balcony starting at 9:30 AM. Regular programming will run from 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please note that the times and locations for 1st-4th grade groups remains unchanged. In order to assess demand, we will offer early care as a pilot for the weeks of 3/19, 3/26, and 4/2. At the end of this time, we will determine whether there is enough demand to continue this program. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Second Annual Lag Ba'Omer Event at the Adventure Park at Sandy Spring – Join YISE Youth on Thursday, May 26 from 5:00 PM – 8:30 PM. Whether you went last year and want to do it again, or if this is your first time, don't miss out on this opportunity to register for a great experience! Cost is $36 per person. Children 5-6 years old are free with a paying adult (1:1). All checks must be submitted to the Shul office by April 24. For more info, contact email@example.com
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Tefillah, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:45PM at YGW. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner at 301-649-0552.
Shiur on Parsha – This Shabbos, March 19, with Rabbi Marvin Goldman. at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 316, at 4:00 PM.
Pirchei is Starting! All boys, first through sixth grade, are invited to Pirchei! Begining this Shabbos, Parshas Vayikra, March 19, in the classrooms at the Yeshiva, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. To join our email list, contact Ranon Cortell or Pinchas Werner at email@example.com.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, March 30, (no meeting March 23), 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Self-Defense in Jewish Law – Join the GWCK at Morgan Lewis for a Lunch and Learn on Monday, March 28 at 12:00 Noon. RSVP required to email@example.com
The Desk – Presented by Berman Hebrew Academy Rabbi Moshe H. Levinson Upper School HADAS. Thursday, March 31, 7:00 PM, BHA Sylvia S. Ely Auditorium. Tickets: $7.00 adults, $5.00 students/seniors. Be an angel and support our play. If you would like to support HADAS and our play, contact Eliana Elikan at firstname.lastname@example.org
Vaad Updates – Sign up for Rabbinical Council of Greater Washington updates, newsletters and Kashrus alerts by entering your e-mail address at www.capitolk.org
Purim Particulars – YISE and Beyond
YISE Together-for-5 – Continues with a series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum about Thoughts on Purim. For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5
Geula Starts in the Heart – Purim Shiur for Women by Rabbi Reingold. This Shabbos, March 19, at 5:00 PM at Meera & Stephan Miller's house, 1015 Arcola Avenue.
Purim Extravaganza – Join the YISE and KMS youth departments for a community-wide Purim celebration on Sunday, March 20, 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM at YISE. $6.00 per person (2 and up). $20 family max. Caricature, balloon artist, puppet show, cotton candy, family sing-along, moon bounces, face paint, games, prizes, food, fun and friends.
Battling Amalek in our Times – Pre-Purim Shiur for women with Rabbi Rosenbaum. Sunday, March 20 (NOTE NEW DATE), at 8:30 PM at the home of Bayla Goodman, 11527 Monticello Avenue.
Community Megillah Reading List online at Purim.JewishSilverSpring.org
Family Megilah Reading – Wednesday, March 23, 7:55 PM at YISE, Social Hall. Light refreshments.
Avos Ubonim (Father Son) Learning Program – Purim morning, March 24, 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM at the Boys' Yeshiva.
GWCK Purim Learning – This Purim, bring your sons to continue the legacy of Yeshivas Mordechai Hatzadik! Participate in a half hour of learning, with prizes, raffles, and refreshments. At the Kollel (10900 Lockwood Dr.), following the 8:00 Shacharis (approximately 9:45 AM). For men and boys ages 5 and up.
Fifteenth Annual Purim Yahrzeit Shiur in memory of Jane Axelrod (Raizel bas Simcha) on Purim, Thursday, March 24 at 10:30 AM in the Penthouse Level Party Room, 1111 University Blvd W. (University Towers).The Shiur ends by 11:00 AM.
YISE Shomrai Nursery Purim Card Sale – Please support our community's children by ordering our beautiful full color, glossy Purim cards featuring our very own students! Order: 3 cards for $6, 10 cards for $18, 20 cards for $36, 30 cards for $54, 40 cards for $72 (envelopes included). Contact email@example.com or 301-593-7365 and state your name, phone number and number of cards ordering. Cards available for pickup from Shul office or Shomrai Nursery.
AMIT is selling beautiful Purim Cards – Please contact Esther Edeson at 301-593-4465 x402 or Hope Taragin at firstname.lastname@example.org
Rose & Bernard Singer Megilla Reading Program – Do you or someone you know need Megilla read because you cannot get to Shul, are ill, or other reason? Volunteers are also needed to Lein the Megilla. Don't wait until the last minute. Please contact email@example.com or 301-593-1193.
Matanos L'Evyonim Options:
* Rabbi Rosenbaum will be collecting for distribution on Purim, primarily to local individuals in need. Drop off checks at the office made out to "YISE Charity Fund" and specifically marked "Matanos L'Evyonim" or give them to Rabbi Rosenbaum directly.
* The Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington – which assists individuals and families year-round in our region, will be distributing on Purim day. To donate, please click on the Matanot LaEvyonim banner at http://yadyehuda.com
* The Franco Foundation – donations will be distributed on Purim. Please help with your generous tax-deductible donation to the Franco Foundation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through paypal at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday, March 20 Monday, March 21 Tuesday, March 22 Wed., March 23 – Taanis Esther Thurs., March 24 – Purim Friday, March 5 – Shushan Purim
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:00, 6:30, 7:00, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15 6:10, 7:10 7:00 6:15, 7:15
Arcola 7:10 7:10 7:10 2:00, 6:45 / 7:55 2:00, 5:30 / 8:15, 9:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:05 7:05 7:05 7:00 2:00 / 9:00
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:19 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:07 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:47 PM
March 25-26, 2016 – 16 Adar 2 5776
Light Candles by 7:07 – Havdalah 8:07
* Light Candles by 7:07, and not before 6:08
Arcola: 6:30, 7:10 University: 7:10 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:05 University: 7:05 Sephardi: 6:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:05
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:07
Sunday, March 20 Purim Extravaganza , 10:30 AM
Wednesday, March 23 Family Megillah Reading, 7:55 PM, Social Hall, Light Refreshments
Friday, April 1 Ruach Minyan, Arcola Social Hall, 7:15
Sunday, April 3 YISE Annual Banquet
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, March 23 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Wednesday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Closed Thursday, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director