Included in the PDF are the Israel Report and Likutei Torah, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Pesach Shorts
April 8 – 16, 2020 – 15 – 22 Nissan 5780 – Pesach
Light Candles (1st day) by 7:21 – Havdalah (8th day) 8:29
The Pesach Shorts is sponsored by the family of Yosef Ezra Livingston, Yosef Ezra ben Meyer Aharon, on the occasion of his first Yahrtzeit.
* Rabbi Sanford H. Shudnow on the 60th anniversary of his Bar Mitzvah.
* Melvin Sassoon on the passing of his father, Jack Sassoon. The funeral took place in England. Shiva was completed before Yom Tov.
The following times are relevant throughout Pesach for determining your personal Davening times, particularly if you do not Daven at the same time as your usual Minyan would meet.
* Earliest Talis & Tefilin – 5:46 AM on April 9, gradually getting earlier to 5:35 AM on April 16.
* Netz Hachamah (sunrise) – 6:40 AM on April 9, gradually getting earlier to 6:30 AM on April 16. This is the ideal time to Daven the Shacharis Shmoneh Esrai and, if possible, Shmoneh Esrai should not be Davened before that time.
* Latest Krias Shma – 9:54 AM on April 8, gradually getting earlier to 9:48 AM on April 16.
* Earliest Mincha – 1:43 PM on April 8, gradually getting earlier to 1:42 PM on April 16.
The usual time for Mincha is a little before Shkia (sunset), about the same time as listed for lighting candles on Erev Shabbos or Erev Yom Tov. If Mincha is Davened significantly earlier then it is preferable to Daven Mincha prior to Plag Hamincha and Maariv following Plag Hamincha.
Wednesday, April 8 – Erev Pesach
Remember to make an Eruv Tavshillin.
* Light Candles 7:21 PM
Even if one's Minhag is to say Hallel in Shul on Seder night, one would not say it if davening at home.
* Seder starts after 8:20 PM
Thursday, April 9 – Yom Tov
We do not say the Tefillah of Tal on the first day of Pesach, as it is part of the Chazan's repetition. The first Shmoneh Esrai in which we stop saying Mashiv Haruach is Mincha of the first day of Pesach.
* Light Candles after 8:21 PM
No acts of preparation may be made for the second night before 8:21 PM.
Even if one's Minhag is to say Hallel in Shul on Seder night, one would not say it if davening at home.
Begin counting Sefiras Haomer.
Friday, April 10 – Yom Tov
* Plag Hamincha 6:19 PM
* Light Candles 7:23 PM
Shabbos, April 11 – Chol Hamoed
There is no obligation for an individual to say Shir Hashirim on Shabbos Chol Hamoed. If an individual wants to do so it is certainly acceptable to do so.
* Shabbos Ends 8:24 PM
Tuesday, April 14 – Erev Yom Tov
* Plag Hamincha 6:22 PM
* Light Candles 7:26 PM
Wednesday, April 15 – Yom Tov
* Light Candles after 8:28 PM
No acts of preparation may be made for the second night before 8:28 PM.
Thursday, April 16 – Yom Tov
One says Yizkor on the last day of Yom Tov even when davening without a Minyan.
* Yom Tov Ends 8:29 PM
* Chametz which was sold for Pesach may be used after 9:15 PM
* All public activities at YISE are cancelled, including Minyanim, Youth Groups, Shiurim and special events.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
* Please continue to be vigilant regarding matters of personal hygiene as previously advised. If you are unwell, please do not enter the Shul or other public places. We urge you to adhere to all medical advice you may receive regarding selfquarantine. Let us Daven to Hashem to keep us all in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list, go to https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays (except Yom Tov), 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, will resume April 22.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, will resume April 22.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact email@example.com, will resume April 21.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM, will resume April 19.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361, will resume April 20.
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver. For more information, please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: email@example.com or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org, will resume April 21.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, will resume April 21. Connection Details:
For Zoom, go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call in using the listed number:
* Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019, phone 301-715-8592
YISE Programs and Listings
Siyum Sponsor – The Erev Pesach Siyumim were sponsored by an anonymous donor.
Conversations in Coping – Join 3 of our esteemed local therapists for practical skills on maintaining sanity during coronavirus, online, Zoom A listed above. Dr. Howie Schulman, Monday, April 13, 8:00 PM. See flyer for details.
Yom HaShoah v'Hagvurah Program – Tuesday, April 21 at 7:30 PM. Please join us on ZOOM for this year's Yom HaShoah program, featuring Mr. Alex Raden, a child survivor of the Warsaw Ghetto. The Zoom link will be made public right after Pesach.
Camp Shomrai 2020 is open for registration! Programs for campers entering 2-year-old Preschool through 9th grade. Camp Dates: Monday, June 29 – Thursday, August 13. Register online at https://campshomrai.campapplications.com For more information contact Sarah Dollman at email@example.com
Shomrai Preschool 2020-2021 – Online registration is now open for children ages 2 to 5 years old with customizable extended care options from 7:30 AM to 6:00 PM. Visit preschool.yise.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to schedule a tour. Ask about our special, deeply reduced tuition for incoming 2-year-olds!
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Community Programs & Listings
The Magic of Mara: Healing and Menschlechkeit – Monday, April 13, 8:00 PM with Rabbi Elchanan Adler. This Shiur is dedicated to the memory of Dr. Allen Gaisin, Z"L (Eliyahu ben Menachem Mendel HaKohen). Zoom Meeting ID: 969 661 019 or dial in at 301-715-8592,
HaMizrachi Pesach 5780 – Download and print at www.rza.org/hamizrachipesach
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 7:00 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM, Friday 5:45 PM.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, April 22, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841 password 3671.
Partners in Tefillah matches people with others in need of similar assistance from Hashem. The feedback we have received so far has been amazing. You, too, can Daven for someone else in the community and have them Daven for you. May Hashem answer all your prayers. Please visit www.yadyehuda.org/partners-in-tefillah to learn more and to sign up.
Community Helping Community: Yad Yehuda's COVID-19 Crisis Relief – During this crisis, previously financially stable households in our community are already experiencing financial challenges. Yad Yehuda is receiving many more assistance requests than usual. With Pesach coming soon, we expect that to increase. Community financial donations are critical now. Please make an additional donation to Yad Yehuda today to help us address this unforeseen need at www.yadyehuda.org/donate
A COVID-19 Telephone Assistance Hotline is now available at 301-494-1010, Sunday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM. When you call, one of our dedicated Yad Yehuda volunteers will answer questions and help connect you with resources in the Jewish community and the area at large. If the volunteer is unable to answer your issue or question, they will, IY"H, ensure that someone gets back to you in a timely manner. Our friendly volunteers are there to help and will do so with the utmost discretion and privacy. Please visit www.yadyehuda.org/covid19 for additional and updated information.
The Franco Foundation – Helping the community from within the community. The Foundation helps our community's needy all year long, and distributes more around Pesach to cover additional expenses. It is distributing assistance through Shalom scrip as well as financial assistance. If you know of a family or individual that requires assistance for Pesach or is in a financial bind, please contact the Foundation at its email address, below. Your suggestion will remain anonymous. Please send your generous tax-deductible donation to: The Franco Foundation/613 Bromley Street/Silver Spring, MD 20902, or through PayPal, at email@example.com
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Kemp Mill Village s offering friendly phone calls and limited deliveries of medicine for the duration of the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer, and see the KMV website for further information: www.kempmillvillage.org
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
No Minyanim will take place at YISE next week. You are encouraged to Daven at home at your regular Minyan time. Mincha was scheduled for April 12 – 16 at 7:30 PM (Ashkenazi)/7:25 PM (Sephardi). In addition to Shiurim listed above, conference calls are scheduled with Rabbi Rosenbaum for Tehillim and a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha in the mornings (Sunday 9:00 AM, Monday through Friday (except Yom Tov) 8:30 AM) and for Tehillim and a 15-minute Shiur on Hilchos Pesach in the evenings (Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM) using Zoom A listed above.
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:41 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:47 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:42 PM
Monday. April 13 Conversations in Coping, 8:00 PM
Tuesday, April 21 Yom HaShoah v'Hagvurah, 7:30 PM
April 17 – 18, 2020, 24 Nissan 5780
Light Candles: Friday by 7:29 Havdalah: 8:31
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Tuesday, April 14 at 12:00 Noon, for the
Post-Pesach Shorts – no Shorts will be published on Chol Hamoed.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561
E-Mail: email@example.com Website: www.yise.org
Closed for Pesach. Friday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager