Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
April 19 – 27, 2019 – 15-22 Nissan 5779 – Pesach
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Bernie and Lucy Benisti Blitzstein on the 27th Yahrzeit of mother, Maryse Benisti, Z"L and the 18th Yahrzeit of father, Nathan Blitzstein, Z"L.
* Vivian & Arnie Kirshenbaum on the marriage of their grandchildren, Akiva & Isabella Garfinkel of Lincolnwood, Illinois. Mazal Tov to the Bokor, Garfinkel and Kirshenbaum families.
* Estee & Rabbi Binyamin Silver on the birth of a son. Mazal Tov to the grandparents Chana & Rabbi Uri Silver, Adrienne & Rick Harrison, and Ada & Rabbi Billy Lewkowicz, and to big brother Gavi. The Bris will take place on Sunday, the 2nd day of Yom Tov, at 6:00 PM at the Silver home, 532 Ridgewell Way.
* Aravah & Yair Treister on the birth of a son. The Bris will take place on Monday, the 1st day of Chol Hamoed, at KMS, following
the 6:30 AM KMS Shacharis Minyan.
Erev Yom Tov – Friday Night – April 19:
* Light Candles by 7:31
* Mincha: Ashkenazi 7:35 Sephardi: 7:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:35
* Seder starts after: 8:31
1st Day – Yom Tov – Shabbos – April 20:
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 8:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:30 Sephardi: 3:00, 7:30 Nusach Sefard: 7:30
* Light Candles after: 8:32
2nd Day – Yom Tov – Sunday – April 21:
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 8:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 7:35
Sephardi: 7:35 Nusach Sefard: 7:35
* Yom Tov ends: 8:34
Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday – April 22/23/24:
Ashkenazi: 6:10, 6:30, 7:35, 8:45 Sephardi: 7:00
* Mincha: Ashkenazi: 7:40 Sephardi: 7:35
Erev Yom Tov – Thursday – April 25:
Remember to make an Eruv Tavshilin.
Ashkenazi: 6:10, 6:30, 7:35, 8:45 Sephardi: 7:00
* Light Candles by 7:36, and not before 6:30
Ashkenazi: 6:40, 7:40 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
7th Day – Yom Tov – Friday – April 26:
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 8:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
* Light Candles by 7:37, and not before 6:31
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 6:40, 7:40 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
8th Day – Yom Tov – Shabbos – April 27:
Ashkenazi: 6:45, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 8:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Yizkor at 8:45 Minyan no earlier than 10:30
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:35 Sephardi: 3:00, 7:35 Nusach Sefard: 7:35
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:40
Chometz which was sold for Pesach may be used after 9:45 PM.
* 1st Day – 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 1st Day – 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* 2nd Day – Sephardi Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 2nd Day – 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* 2nd Day – 9:15 Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* 2nd Day – after Mincha Rabbi Yosef Kalinsky
* 7th Day – 8:00, Youth Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 7th Day – 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* 7th Day – 9:15 Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* 8th Day – 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8th Day – 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* 8th Day – after Mincha Rabbi Beinish Ginsburg
Yom Tov Shiurim
* Rabbi Hyatt's Shiur will not meet on the first two days of Yom Tov.
* Rabbi Hyatt's Shiur will meet on the last two days of Yom Tov, after
Hashkamah Minyan in the lower lobby with a special guest lecturer.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 7:00 PM, Large Beis Medrash, 1st day
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 7:00 PM, Large Beis Medrash, 2nd day
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 6:30 PM, Large Beis Medrash, 7th day
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 8:05 PM, Large Beis Medrash, 8th day
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume May 5.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony, will resume April 30.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume April 30.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume May 1.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony, will resume May 15.
* Rabbi Silver’s Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM, will resume May 7. For more details, contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, in the Large Social Hall, will resume May 5.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem’s Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall, will resume May 5.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE, will resume May 6. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org, 347-869-9361.
* Rabbi Levy’s Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart’s Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM, will resume April 30.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher’s Shiur for Men and Women: 613? Appreciating Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume April 30.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan’s Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Kesubos, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall, will resume April 30.
Community Learning in Memory of Rabbi Anemer, ZT"L
In commemoration of Rabbi Anemer’s ninth Yahrzeit, Rabbi Rosenbaum and the YISE Adult Education Committee invite the community to learn L’zecher Nishmas Rav Anemer, ZT"L. All are welcome to participate in the Shul's new seven week learning program that will culminate in the Seudah Shlishit in memory of Rav Anemer, ZT"L on Shabbos Acharei Mos, May 4.
Over seven weeks, we will learn a Perek (chapter) a week of Hilchos Talmud Torah of the Rambam's Mishnah Torah. In addition to independent learning, each Sunday the Shul will send out an article from Rabbi Rosenbaum or Rabbi Silver on a topic discussed in that week's Perek. Links to the weekly learning and articles are available at: https://wp.yise.org/rabbianemer-learning Please feel free to contact Bob Levi at email@example.com with any questions.
Chometz after Pesach
Chometz may be purchased from the following stores immediately after Pesach 2019:
* All Capitol K establishments and caterers.
* National stores: Aldi, BJ's, Costco, CVS, Food Lion, Harris Teeter, Kmart, Petco, PetSmart, Rite Aid, Royal Farms, Save-A-Lot, Sam's Club, Shoppers Food and Pharmacy, Trader Joe's, Walgreens, Walmart, Wegmans, Whole Foods Market, Winn-Dixie
* Stores in our community: H Mart, MOM's Organic Market, ShopRite of White Oak
Chometz may not be purchased from Snider's until four weeks after Pesach.
Due to possible Chometz distributed by a Jewish company, if one has an option of purchasing Chometz from other stores, it is commendable not to purchase Chometz from Giant, Safeway, and Target until four weeks after Pesach.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet on all four days of Yom Tov at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash.
Groups will NOT meet on the 1st 2 days of Pesach.
Please join us on the 7th and 8th days of Pesach for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth rooms behind the Balcony.
1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall.
Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
YISE Programs and Listings
Erev Pesach Siyumim were sponsored by were sponsored by an anonymous donor.
Vaccination Clinic – There will be a measles vaccination clinic for adults between the ages of 30-62 on the first day of Chol Hamoed. To sign up and/or to get more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with "vaccination" in the subject line.
Vaccination Policy – The issue of the spread of measles throughout communities around the world and in our own country has raised health concerns for numerous members of our community, of all ages. Effective immediately, YISE policy requires all children on the shul premises or attending a shul program to be in full compliance with the vaccination recommendations of the State of Maryland. If your child or your guest's child is not in compliance, please do not bring him/her to our shul or programs.
Toddler Room Renovation – The toddler room is being renovated thanks to a generous donor. Due to the work in process, the room is not currently available for use.
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, May 1, 12 Noon, Social Hall. Dr. Alan Breitler, "Great Scientists, Part 1: Galileo"
Annual Yom HaShoah v'Hagvurah Program – featuring Edith Mayer-Cord. Sunday, May 5, 7:30 PM at YISE. Children grades 5 and above are encouraged to attend the program with their parents. Sign language interpreter will be available upon request. See flyer for details.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, May 6, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W. in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more info, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. By signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Community Programs and Listings
Rabbi Marvin Goldman¡¦s Shiur at University Towers will resume after Pesach.
Tzurba M'Rabanan learning group will not meet on the first days of Pesach. For information about the 8th day of Pesach, contact Rose Litwack via WhatsApp 410-522-8624.
Post High School Girls Shiur – Tuesday nights, 8:30 PM at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Road, will resume April 30.
YGW Special Chol Hamoed Pesach Learning – Open for all boys and men of the community. Monday, April 22 – Thursday, April 25, 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM at YGW Boys Campus, 1216 Arcola Avenue Breakfast in the cafeteria & learning in the Belonofsky Bais Medrash. Shacharis 7:30 AM; Breakfast 9:00 AM – 9:30 AM; Chavrusa learning until 10:15 AM; Shiur 10:15 AM – 11:00 AM. Monday- Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Tuesday – Rav Ahron Lopiansky; Wednesday – Rabbi Amram Hes; Thursday – Rabbi Akiva Leiman. Questions? Contact Rabbi Amram Hes at 240-475-9581 or firstname.lastname@example.org A special community program sponsored by the Yeshiva of Greater Washington-Tiferes Gedaliah.
Free Job Search Webinars:
* Job Search – Corliss Jackson, Monday, April 22: 1 – Cracking the Federal Job Search Code, 8:00 to 8:30 PM, 2 – Your Private Sector Job Search, 8:30 to 9:00 PM, and 3 – Students and Recent Graduates–Cracking the Code to Your Federal Internship, 9:00 to 9:30 PM. For more information and to register, visit www.FederalJobResults.com/events
Birkas Ha'ilanos – There is a special Bracha which is recited on seeing blossoming fruit trees. There are currently blossoming trees in the backyard of the home of the Mond family, 812 Hyde Ct. The Mond family has given permission to the community to enter their backyard through the gate at the end of the driveway in order to make this Bracha.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, May 1, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com for more info.
Golden Network Caregiver Support Group – Sunday, May 5, 10:15 AM – 11:15 AM at KMS, room F. This group is geared towards Jewish women whose spouses are living at home or are in a medical facility and are affected by a chronic physical illness or a cognitive condition. For more information or if you plan to attend please contact: Hedy Peyser, MSW, firstname.lastname@example.org
Annual Yom Ha'atzmaut Celebration – Wednesday, May 8 at the Berman Hebrew Academy, Sylvia S. Ely Auditorium, 13300 Arctic Avenue, Rockville, MD. Mincha at 7:10 pm, program begins at 7:30 pm. Followed by festive Maariv, dancing, and refreshments. Suggested donation: $10 per person, $30 max per family.
Generations-in-Israel – Join AMIT Birah Chapter of Greater Washington, DC in honoring Donna Lawrence for her long-time commitment to AMIT and dedication to the children of Israel. We will hear from AMIT¡¦s president Debbie Moed. A light dairy catered dinner will be served. May 15, 7:00 PM at a private home in Silver Spring. Call 410-484-2223 or visit www.amitchildren.org/events to RSVP.
Zichron Menachem Hair Drive – STOP! Don¡¦t cut your hair for Pesach. Grow it for a child with cancer! Choose an appointment for a free cut. Two days to choose from: Thursday, May 23 (Lag B¡¦Omer) at Style Salon, and Tuesday, June 11 (day after Shavuos) at Progressions. To make an appointment, email "Hair" to email@example.com
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nazir. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daf Yomi Shiur meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before the YISE late Mincha.
Dirshu Mishnah Brurah – Beginning Monday, April 29, Dirshu Mishnah Brurah begins Chelek Daled with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Learn the Halachos of Eruvin and Techumin. Finish the Chelek in eleven months! Monday through Thursday at YISE after Maariv. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy¡¦s Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy¡¦s Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday April 28 Monday April 29 Tuesday April 30 Wednesday May 1 Thursday May 2 Friday May 3
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55,7:35,8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 7:45 7:45 7:45 7:45 7:45 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:40 7:40 7:40 7:40 7:40
Halachic Times: April 21 – 27 – Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:28 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:40 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:41 PM
April 28 – May 4 Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:17 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:36 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:41 PM
May 3 – 4, 2019 – 29 Nissan 5779
Parshas Acharei Mos/Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by: 7:44 – Havdalah: 8:48
* Light Candles by 7:44, and not before 6:35
Ashkenazi: 6:20, 6:45, 7:45 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15
Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:40 Sephardi: 7:25 Nusach Sefard: 7:40
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:48
Wednesday, May 1 Senior Lunch, 12 Noon, Social Hall
Shabbos, May 4 Seudah Shlishit in memory of Rav Anemer, ZT"L
Sunday, May 5 Yom HaShoah v'Hagvurah Program, 7:30 PM
Sunday, May 12 Annual Banquet
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, May 1 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Office Hours: Closed Pesach
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager