Included in the PDF are the Israel Report, Likutei Torah, Hamaayan and GWCK Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
February 5 – 6, 2021 – 24 Shevat 5781 – Parshas Yisro/Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 5:16 – Havdalah 6:17
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Tzivia Bramson in loving memory of her father, Max Lewko, Mordechai Ben Shlomo, A"H, and by Susan & Bob Levi in loving memory of Bob's father, Fred Levi, Baruch ben Meir HaLevi, Z"L, to commemorate his first Yahrzeit.
* Tenise & Joel Becker on the birth of a granddaughter, Esther Chana, to their children Favia & Rabbi Yiri Becker of Cleveland and to all the siblings, aunts, uncles, and cousins.
* Janet Deneroff on the birth of a granddaughter, Tova Miriam, born to her children Naomi & Yosef Adler. Mazal Tov also to siblings Sarah and Seth Deneroff and cousins Eitan and Julie.
* Bari & Hillel Goldschein on the birth of their daughter, Esther Malka. Mazal Tov to the proud grandparents, Aitana & Perry Perlmutter, and Ilana & Dovid Goldschein.
* Serena & Ben Kalish on the birth of a baby boy. Mazal Tov to grandparents Paul & Joyce Kalish and Donna & Dr. Leon Schwechter.
* Adina & David Warshawsky on the birth of a son, and to big siblings Shira and Ashi on their new brother. The Bris will take place on Shabbos.
* Shoshana Rudack on the passing of her mother, Leanne Lewis. The funeral took place on Sunday in Ohio.
Limited Minyanim are now taking place at YISE under Montgomery County's Phase 2 guidelines. All Minyanim require advance registration and confirmation. If you are interested in attending Minyanim and have not already registered, please go to https://www.yise.org/minyan If you are registered for a Minyan and are unable to attend at that time, please do not go to a different Minyan. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com
* Light Candles by 5:16
* Mincha: 5:25, 5:20 (Sephardi)
If you Daven Kabbalos Shabbos prior to Shkia (5:34 PM), it is preferable to Daven Mincha prior to Plag (4:29 PM).
One may say the entire text of the blessing of Birkas Hachodesh even when alone. Rosh Chodesh Adar is on Friday & Shabbos. The Molad will be Friday morning, 19 minutes and 4 Chalakim after 6, Jerusalem time.
* Shacharis: 7:00, 9:00, 9:30, 8:30 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 2:30, 4:30, 4:45 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 6:17
* Outdoor Minyan – If you are interested in a Shabbos morning outdoor Minyan without a tent, subject to weather conditions, please email Ari Elias-Bachrach at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Registration for Parshas Zachor, Taanis Esther Davening and Purim Davening and Megillah Readings – Register online at www.yise.org/survey
* Advance registration for Minyanim is required and space is limited. Go to https://www.yise.org/minyan to register. If you have changes to your original registration form, please send an email to email@example.com with details.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and updated times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday through Friday 8:30 AM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM – Zoom A. No Shiur on Monday, February 8.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now studying Sefer Yehoshua, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men and Women – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings at 7:30 PM, Zoom I.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM (except as noted). For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men & Women – Zoom C (except as noted):
* Mondays: (for men only) Rabbi H. Shaps, On the Same Page Gemara, Zoom B.
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Grossman – Parshas Hashavua, 9:00 PM
* For Women – Zoom D:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Bereishis in-Depth
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Hillel Shaps. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, Zoom E.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look-Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", Zoom H.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM, Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 349 754 2180, password GWCK
Zoom C: ID: 746 455 2195, password GWCK
Zoom D: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
Zoom E: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom F: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom I: ID: 269 840 3648, password online Pearls, phone 621690
YISE Youth Announcements
Dor L'Dor – Motzei Shabbos, February 6, 7:30 PM. Parsha, pizza, prizes and more – but this year virtual! Register by 10:00 AM, Friday, February 5, at www.yise.org/dorldor This week's Dor L'Dor is generously sponsored by Carol & Tuvia Lazar in honor of all of the wonderful volunteers who make this program happen. If you have any questions or would like to sponsor, please contact Michael Shimoff at firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Virtual Challah Braiding – Join Debbie Weinstein for Challah braiding tips and tricks. Ages 8 – 18. Sunday, February 7, 3:30 PM on Zoom A. See flyer for details.
Purim Puppet Show – Morah Debby & Friends present Tzidky the Tzedakah Man. Sunday, February 21, 4:30 PM on Zoom A. See flyer for details.
Drive-Thru Purim Costume Parade – Sunday, February 21, 3:00 PM – 4:00 PM on Lamberton Court. RSVP to email@example.com See flyer for details.
Camp Shomrai is back for another fun-filled summer with programming for children in preschool through ninth grade! Camp runs from July 5th through August 13th. For more information or to register online, visit our website at https://campshomrai.org See flyer for details.
YISE Programs and Listings
Registration for Shomrai Preschool 2021-2022 is now open! We are excited to be offering a Torah-rich, child-centered program for children entering 2 year-old Nursery – 4 year-old Pre-K. School day runs from 8:30 AM – 3:00 PM. Extended care options available from 7:30 AM -8:30 AM and 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM. Register early for maximum savings! Visit our website for tuition rates and online registration at https://preschool.yise.org/registration For more information about the program email Sarah Dollman at firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Virtual Paint Night with Talya Weinberg. Thursday, February 11, 8:00 PM. $20 per person. RSVP and pay at www.yise.org/paint RSVP by Friday, February 5. For more information, contact Elise Saks at email@example.com
Ask The Rabbi! Come join our virtual, interactive monthly program featuring Halachos of Shabbos and holidays! This month's topic: Purim. How does COVID-19 impact Purim Mitzvos? What should we do about Shalach Manos? When do we eat our Seudah since Purim is on a Friday? Tuesday, February 16, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM on Zoom A. The first 45 minutes are for Shailos submitted in advance and the last 15 minutes are for Q & A. Send in your questions related to Purim to: AskTheRabbi@yise.org by Sunday, February 14. For more information or to submit questions by phone, contact Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org To sponsor the Shiur, contact email@example.com
Purim Shpiel – Sunday, February 21, 8:30 PM. Contact Howie Schulman at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-213-2429. See flyer for details.
Come Join Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class – now on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee: Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, March 1, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
Amit Purim Cards – To order, contact the YISE office at 301-593-4465 x403 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Go Social! Want to reconnect with Shul friends you lost touch with these past COVID-19 months? We're missing our Shul buddies as well! YISE's Social Committee wants your energy to help lead new (Zoom interactive, of course) programs. Sahra Ginsburg email@example.com Sharon Shimoff firstname.lastname@example.org and Max Rudmann email@example.com are waiting to hear from you.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax-deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Our current limited ability to Daven with a Minyan and to say Kaddish is difficult and a challenge. However, sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Sunday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Chumash Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The Pre-Shabbos Drasha video is available for sponsorship at $54.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha and Halacha Shiur
* Judy & David Marwick in memory of David's grandmother, Reba Sklaroff, Rivka bat Meir, whose Yahrzeit is 18 Shevat.
* The Price Family to commemorate the 12th Yahrzeit of Rabbi Ephraim Groundland.
* Judy & Rabbi Roy Rosenbaum in memory of Rabbi Rosenbaum's father, HaRav Tzvi Yosef ben Dovid, Rabbi Irving J. Rosenbaum, whose Yahrzeit took place on the 19th of Shevat.
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray for a Refuah Sheleimah for Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend the Shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaums's Gemara Shiur for Men
* Hannah & Paul Berner in memory of Paul's mother, Faiga bas Pesach, whose Yahrzeit is on 20 Shevat, February 2.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur
* The Price Family to commemorate the 15th Yahrzeit of Shirley Billauer.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Erev Shabbos Drasha
* Anonymous in honor of Marc Katz and his committee for diligently searching for a new Assistant Rabbi.
Community Programs & Listings
Vaccine Sign-up Support Project – Edlavitch JCC is matching GW students with seniors in Maryland, DC and VA to help with COVID-19 vaccine enrollment. Sign up at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSea3wSltndTqWX9V6p_kLKbIh5AuFYWRPCGlyarv3LcsYReZA/viewform
The Yad Yehuda Clothing Exchange will be open to all members of the community this Sunday, February 7, 10:00 AM – 12 Noon. We have a lot of coats for all sizes! This is your opportunity to shop, at no cost, for beautiful, modest clothing in our well-equipped showroom. Shoppers must be in good health, not have been in contact with someone who tested positive for Covid, wear masks and maintain social distancing. Please schedule an appointment at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fhBnGaaLIgwaEUT4rDFUwdVKGz1_U9CeOYD-f_A10iY/edit For questions or to schedule an appointment on another day: email@example.com
From Quarantine to Connection: Strengthening Your Marriage During Challenging Times – Featuring Rabbi Jamie and Ilana Cowland. For men and women. Couples participation encouraged but not required. Tuesday, February 9, 9:00 PM on Zoom. Meeting ID: 836 5065 1470, Passcode: 724763 Sponsored by the Mikvah Emunah Society.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, February 10, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
The Stories We Don't Tell: Pregnancy, Loss, High Risk & Other Experiences of Our Reproductive Lives – with Dr. Chavi Karkowsky and Yoetzet Halacha Bracha Rutner. Presented by KMS on Wednesday, February 17, 8:30 PM on Zoom. Meeting ID: 838 4169 7174, Passcode: 840286.
TGN Program: The Mishkon of Moshe and the Taiva of Noach- Presented by Rabbi Chaim Goldstein. Moshe and Noach are more similar than you may have thought! This Shiur will explore Gemoras and Midrashim which reveal beautiful insights into the parallel purposes and significance of the Taiva and Mishkan, as well as the Mishkan's successor, the Bais HaMikdash. Thursday, February 18, 10:15 AM – 11:15 AM on Zoom E. For more information, call 301-732-1773 or email email@example.com
Outdoor Community Megillah Readings are planned on Purim: Thursday evening, February 25 and Friday, February 26. If you are an experienced Leiner, please contact Saul Singer at Saul.Singer@verizon.net and let him know when you are available.
20th Annual Purim Yahrzeit shiur in memory of Jane Axelrod (Raizel bas Simcha) – Friday, February 26, log on at 9:50 AM for Shiur at 10:00 AM SHARP! (The shiur will end no later than 10:20.) Zoom Meeting ID: 684 682 8415, Passcode: 613613, direct link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/6846828415
Yad Yehuda – Unfortunately, many individuals and families across the Greater Washington Jewish community are facing the twin challenges of financial and food insecurity. The scope of this need has grown exponentially during the current COVID-19 crisis. We receive new requests for assistance each week. With the help of Hashem, Yad Yehuda answers these requests through our Emergency Financial Assistance and Tomchei Shabbos Programs and through The Capital Kosher Pantry. Please consider making a contribution by visiting www.yadyehuda.org/donate
Penetrating Thoughts and Practical Perspectives – Thoughts on life, Torah and Middos. Based on Michtav M'Eliyahu, from Rav Eliyahu Dessler, Z"L. Mondays, 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher. Zoom – Meeting ID: 736 4190 7086, Passcode: torah. Presented by YGW Kollel Zichron Amram. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
What Happened at Sinai: An Exploration of the Sinai Revelation and the Ten Commandments – Wednesdays, 8:00 PM on Zoom. Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. Join any time! No cost. Zoom info and registration at linksgw.org/classes
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click “Sign Up."
Kemp Mill Village is providing friendly phone calls and limited deliveries during the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer. See kempmillvillage.org for more information.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Friday, February 12 – Rosh Chodesh
Limited Minyanim will take place at YISE next week, advance registration and confirmation required. You are encouraged to Daven at home at the same time as a Minyan at YISE.
Shacharis: Sunday 6:30 AM/7:30 AM/8:45 AM; Monday through Friday 6:15 AM/7:00 AM/8:45 AM. Mincha/Maariv: Sunday – Thursday: 5:30 PM.
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 5:47 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 6:15 AM, Latest Netz: 7:09 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:42 AM,
Earliest Mincha: 12:53 PM, Earliest Shkia: 5:36 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 6:25 PM
February 12 – 13, 2021 – 1 Adar 5781
Parshas Mishpatim/Rosh Chodesh/Shekalim
Light Candles: 5:24
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, February 10 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.yise.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday – 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Simi Franco – Office Manager