Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
February 14 – 15, 2020 – 20 Shevat 5780 – Parshas Yisro
Light Candles by 5:25 – Havdalah 6:26
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Delia Weiss and family and Miriam & Steve Friedman and family in loving memory of Dr. George Weiss, Z"L, Gedalya Chaim ben Avraham Moshe, on the occasion of his 3rd Yahrzeit.
* Marsha & Yitz Kasdan on the birth of a grandson to their children Shana & Hirschel Wohl. Mazal Tov as well to big brothers Reuven, Shalom, and Yosef, grandparents Miriam & Michael Wohl, great-grandmother Evelyn Elbogen, and the rest of the Kasdan and Wohl family. The Shalom Zachor will take place at 903 Kersey Road on Friday night at 9:00 PM, and the Bris will Be'H take place this Shabbos at Yeshiva of Greater Washington at 10:45 AM.
* Arline & Dr. Irving Katz on the birth of a great-granddaughter and to Sharona & Shlomo Katz on the birth of a granddaughter, born to Elisheva & Yehuda Katz of White Oak. Mazal Tov also to grandmother Lori Goldenberg of Chicago/Baltimore and to greatgrandparents Lorraine & Rabbi Sam Vogel of Teaneck, and to the extended family.
* Marion & Fred Miller on the engagement of their daughter, Adena, to Eiden Tal, son of Chaya Tal and Yosef Yishai Hilsen ofAlbany, NY.
* Debra & Arthur Sapper on the marriage of their daughter Chaya Esther to Elad Engel of Jerusalem, Israel.
* Teresa Berman on the passing of her sister, Gertrude Samuel, and to Audrey Siegel on the passing of her aunt. The funeral took place Sunday in New York.
* Buddy (Charles) Blum
* Light Candles by 5:25
Ashkenazi: 5:25 Sephardi: 5:20 Nusach Sefard: 5:25
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:20 Sephardi: 5:05 Nusach Sefard: 5:20
* Shabbos ends: 6:26
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Lew Sosnowik to commemorate the Yahrtzeits of his parents, Sima & Abraham Sosnowik, and his sister, Chana Sosnowik; and Vivian & Arnie Kirshenbaum to commemorate the Yahrtzeit of Arnie's parents, Dovid ben Yechiel Tzvi HaKohain & Gittel bas Moshe Kirshenbaum.
* Sephardi – Luna & Avi Perez
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Simi and Sammy Franco, Jodi and David Mazel, and Raph Ginsburg in honor of the 10th anniversary of the Haimish Kiddush Group.
* 9:15 Minyan – friends of Chana Fish in honor of her upcoming wedding to Nimrod and to wish her a Nisiya Tova as she moves to Israel!
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, afte Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 4:35 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by Aaron and Rona Lerner in honor of Betzalel Broth and the 1st anniversary of his Bar Mitzvah.
Please join us this week for Groups: 2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth rooms behind the balcony. 1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Tot Shabbat – with Suri Kinzbrunner 10:30 AM – 11:00 AM in the toddler room for ages 2 and under.
Purim Carnival – Sunday, March 8, 10:00 AM – 12 Noon at YISE. $5 per child. Family max. $25. See flyer for details.
YISE Programs and Listings
Dor l'Dor – Come join Dor l'Dor: the Family Chevrusah-style Learning in a fun environment, Motzei Shabbos, February 15, 7:45 PM in the YISE Social Hall. This Dor l'Dor is sponsored by Elle and Alex Nizhnikov. Delicious Pizza! Interactive Discussions! Raffle of Exciting Prizes! To sponsor this program, contact Michael Shimoff at email@example.com
"The Mitzvah of Emunah: What do I have to believe?" – A special lecture by Rabbi Moshe Walter. Presented by GWCK. For men and women. Sunday, February 16, 9:30 AM, at YISE. See flyer for details.
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, February 19, 12 Noon, Social Hall. DVD, "The Men Who Built America".
Shomrai Play Baby and Me! – Children 3 and under and their grown-ups are invited to sing, learn, sign, and play with Morah Suri (and our baby chicks!). Wednesdays in February (2/19, 2/26) from 12 Noon – 12:45 PM at Shomrai Preschool, 811 University Blvd. W. For more information and to RSVP please email firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Ruach Minyan – Friday night, February 28, at 5:45 PM sharp. There will be a special children's story program going on during part of the Davening. Bring the family and invite your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic! For more information, contact email@example.com
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, March 2, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. West in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman for more information – 301-754-1517.
Chevra Kadisha Community Dinner – The Men's and Women's Chevra Kadisha of Greater Washington invites the entire community to the Zayin Adar dinner on Monday, March 2, at YISE.The cost is $18.00 per person for the catered dinner. For more information and to make reservations, go to www.chevrakadishagw.org/zayin-adar.html
Infant & Child CPR Class – Sunday, March 22, 12 Noon at YISE. This is a full certification class, administered by a trainer from NOVA Cert, LLC. If there is enough interest from teenagers, there will be a concurrent babysitting preparation class, including CPR certification and special training for new babysitters. This class will be infant & child CPR only – no adult CPR will be taught. The (subsidized) cost for the class is $35 per person. Payment may be made by cash, credit card, check, or PayPal. Estimated time is between 3 and 3.5 hours (slightly longer for the babysitting preparation class). Please sign up in advance by emailing LCypess@gmail.com Please specify if you are interested in babysitting preparation.
Camp Shomrai 2020 is open for registration! Programs for campers entering 2-year-old Preschool through 9th grade. Camp Dates: Monday, June 29 – Thursday, August 13. Register online at https://campshomrai.campapplications.com For more information contact Sarah Dollman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Shomrai Preschool 2020-2021 – Online registration is now open for children ages 2 to 5 years old with customizable extended care options from 7:30 AM to 6:00 PM. Visit preschool.yise.org or email email@example.com for more information or to schedule a tour. Ask about our special, deeply reduced tuition for incoming 2-year-olds!
What to Do When a Family Member Dies: A Practical and Halachic Guide – The document linked below was prepared for members of YISE, by Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum and Hedy Peyser, MSW, as a practical and halachic guide to deal with the death of a family member. It will hopefully answer time-sensitive questions that may arise immediately following the loss of a family member. Please feel free to contact Rabbi Rosenbaum with any specific questions. Additionally, it would be very worthwhile to consult an attorney and or an accountant for practical advice regarding legal and financial matters before and after the death of a family member. This document will not be providing legal or financial advice. To download the document, go to wp.yise.org/communityresources/death/
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, will resume February 26.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by Classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, will resume February 23.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM, will resume February 23.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For moreinformation, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah,
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An indepth analysis
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver in the Large Social Hall. For more information please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: firstname.lastname@example.org or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Small Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM, in the Social Hall.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for men and women, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, in the Social Hall at 7:50 PM.
Community Programs & Listings
Condolences to Rabbi Ari Segal, Shirah Davidson, Gershon Segal, Yonina Schein, Miriam Haber, Michael Segal and Aaron Segal on the passing of their father, Dr. Robert (Bob) Segal. The funeral took place in Israel on Friday.
Tzurba M'Rabanan – text-based Halacha Sefer learning group meets every Shabbos. Men's group at 3:00 PM at the home of Moshe & Rose Litwack, 11302 Monticello Ave. Women's group Oneg at 4:15 PM, class at 4:30 PM, at the home of Josh & Mickie Breitstein, 1215 North Belgrade Road. Each class is independent – drop-ins welcome.
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, February 15, 4:00 PM (NEW TIME) at 1121 University Blvd. West Apt. 516.
Carbon: The Secret to Life, the Universe and Everything – Prof. Hindy Lifshitz, Lander College for Women. Torah Insights from Rabbi Eli Reingold, Rosh Kollel, YGW Kollel Zichron Amram. The community is invited to join us for this thought-provoking presentation, part of the YGW community science lecture series, on Sunday, February 16, 12:30 PM at YGW Boys Campus 1216 Arcola Avenue, Silver Spring, MD 20902. For more information: Rabbi Scott Hillman 301-962-5111 ext 1553 or firstname.lastname@example.org
"Throwing the Dice: Is one allowed to play games of chance?" – Shiur by Rabbi Moshe Holzer, Chaver Kollel, at YGW Boys Campus. The Federal Holiday Learning Program for men and women, Presidents Day, Monday, February 17, 9:30 AM – 10:30 AM. Light refreshments will be served. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate 404-273-3392 or email@example.com
Post High School Girls Shiur – Tuesday night, February18, 8:30 PM at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Road. This week the Shiur will be given by Allison Ginsberg.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, February 19, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
Daf Yomi Shiur meets at the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Kollel Zichron Amram Semi-Annual Yom Iyun – Join our local community Rabbis and the Kollel for an unparalleled Torah experience! Torah & the Environment – The Halachos of Recycling and Conservation. Sunday, February 23, at the YGW Boys Campus. 8:00 AM – Davening 8:50 AM breakfast, 9:40 AM introduction, "The Torah's Philosophy of Conservation" – Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky, Rosh Hayeshiva, 9:55 AM learning Seder, 11:50 AM – 12:30 PM, Shiur – Rabbi Eli Reingold – Rosh Kollel. To RSVP or for more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate 404-273- 3392 or email@example.com
YGW Girls Division Annual Production for Women & Girls – "EXTRAordinary", Sunday, February 23, and Monday, February 24, at Berman, 13300 Arctic Avenue, Rockville, MD. Sunday Performance – Doors open 2:30 PM, show begins 3:00 PM. Monday Performance – Doors open 6:30 PM, show begins 7:00 PM. Pizza, drinks, and "nosh" will be available for sale during intermission. Advance ticket sales, ads for the Playbill, and Performance DVDs at www.yeshiva.edu Order NOW! For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-962-5111 ext. 1407.
Purim Masquerade "Bowl-a-thon" – Join Sulam for Purim fun and help us make a difference in the lives of our students! Sunday, March 8, 7:30 PM – 9:30 PM at Bowlero College Park, 9021 Baltimore Ave., College Park, MD 20740. Sign up at www.sulam.org/bowlathon
Census Bureau Is Hiring – The Census Bureau is gearing up for the decennial census. Most positions will last several weeks. They feature competitive wages ($29.50 an hour in Montgomery County), weekly paychecks, flexible hours, and paid training. For more information and to apply, please go to: www.2020census.gov/jobs or call 1-855-JOB-2020.
Visual Artist? Join the monthly Jewish Women's Creative Makers group. We meet monthly to share works in any and every visual media that were created on a common theme. Any questions, please contact Chava Kern at email@example.com or 410-913-3155 (texts preferred).
Capital Kosher Pantry – In honor of Tu B'Shvat, we'd like to plant this seed in your thoughts: Why not turn over a new leaf and help us restock the Yad Yehuda Capital Kosher Pantry? The Pantry needs all sorts of natural, healthy items on its shelves: Dried fruit, nuts, olives, fruit juices & grain products including cereal Please place your donations in Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry boxes in many area shuls and schools, Shalom Kosher, Moti's Market or at Yad Yehuda House, 1910 University Blvd West. Or order online at yadyehuda.org/pantry to ship directly to the Pantry. Thank you!
The Clothing Exchange – We have a full showroom of children's, women's and men's clothing and coats, offered to the community free of charge. Run by dedicated volunteers, the Clothing Exchange is a place where everyone can feel comfortable shopping and donating new clothing. We're open every Sunday from 9:30 AM – 10:30 AM at the Yad Yehuda House, 1910 University Blvd. West, unless otherwise noted. We accept donations of new or like-new Shabbos or business casual clothing in current styles. We only stock items that are new or in pristine condition, as is befitting members of our community. We are not able to accept baby clothing, toys & stuffed animals, housewares, linens, undergarments or shoes.
BCGW Annual Purim Card Fundraiser – Donate $35 and receive a pack of 10 beautiful cards to send to your friends and family. You also know that you supported the full embrace of the Jewish community for people facing medical challenges. Every dollar is needed and counts. To order cards or learn more about BCGW go to www.bikurcholimgw.org call 202 331-4481 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Kollel Dirshu of Silver Spring is studying Maseches Gittin at the YGW. Daily morning shiur given by Rabbi Eli Reingold at 5:45 AM and evening shiur by Ranon Cortell and Pinchas Werner at 9:00 PM. Chavrusah are also available during these learning times. For more information and to join our learning program please contact Hirsh Komarow (301) 681-1646; email@example.com
Dirshu Mishnah Brurah – Learn Chelek Daled with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Learn the Halachos of Eruvin and Techumin. Finish the Chelek in eleven months! Monday through Thursday at the YGW at 8:00 PM. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 12:30 PM – 1:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday February 16 Monday, Feb. 17 Presidents' Day Tuesday February 18 Wednesday February 19 Thursday February 20 Friday February 21
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 5:35 5:35 5:35 / 7:30 5:35 / 7:30 5:35 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 5:30 5:30 5:30 5:30 5:30
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:06 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:36 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:53 PM
February 21 – 22, 2020 – 27 Shevat 5780
Light Candles: Friday by 5:33 – Havdalah: 6:33
* Light Candles by 5:33
Ashkenazi: 5:35 Sephardi: 5:30 Nusach Sefard: 5:35
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:30 Sephardi: 5:15 Nusach Sefard: 5:30
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:33
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 15 Dor L'Dor, 7:45 PM
Wednesday, February 19 Senior Lunch, 12 Noon
Monday February 24 Ralph Wigs Sale 6 PM – 10 PM Large Social Hall
Friday, February 28 Ruach Minyan, 5:45 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, February 19 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday: 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager