Parshas Vayishlach – November 19 – 20, 2021
Download the Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
November 19 – 20, 2021 – 16 Kislev 5782 – Vayishlach
Light Candles by 4:33 – Havdalah 5:34
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Jack Calman in appreciation of Rabbi Rosenbaum, friends, and our wonderful community for their support in helping me to deal with and recover from many months of recent difficulties and by Bette Ellen Weigert, the Krakow Family, Wendy Penn and Bernice Cohen in memory of their beloved mother and grandmother, Marion Krakow, Miriam Bat Ben Tzion, Z"L, on the occasion of her 7th Yahrzeit.
* Lew Sosnowik on the marriage of his granddaughter, Dorit Sosnowik, to Ben Gelman. Mazal Tov to the parents Debbie & Dr. David Sosnowik.
* Shaine Spolter on the birth of a great-grandson to her grandchildren, Eliana & Eltzafan Mark. Mazal Tov also to the grandparents, Sara & Baruch Raczkowski.
* Rebbetzin Yocheved Anemer on the passing of her sister, Libby Mines.
Minyan locations are listed as B = Belonofsky Sanctuary,
S = Social Hall. LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis Medrash.
* Light Candles by 4:33
* Mincha: 4:35 (B), 4:25 (Sephardi, LBM), 4:35 NCSY Ruach Minyan (S)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen Minyan, SBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 4:30 (B), 4:25 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 5:34
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Postelnek
* 9:15 Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Minyan Kiddush in a Bag is sponsored by Shaine Spolter and Debby & Barry Greengart to commemorate the 40th Yahrzeit of Rabbi Seymour Spolter, Rav Simcha Ben Yitzchak Kalman (15th of Kislev), and Mrs. Yehudis Friedman, Yehudis Bas Rav Yitzchak David (25th of Tishrei) and the 21st Yahrzeit of Rabbi Chaim Friedman, Rav Chaim Rephael Ben Yom Tov Lipman (9th of Kislev).
YISE Youth Announcements
Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, November 20, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends, indoors. Masks required indoors for age 2+. Age 18-36 months (Mommy & me) in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 2-5 years (drop off) in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk over to the Yeshiva. For more info., contact Michal Merkin, YISE Youth groups coordinator, at email@example.com
Dor L'Dor – The Family Chevrusah-style Learning in a fun environment! First session will take place Motzei Shabbos, November 20, 7:00 PM in the Social Hall. Sponsored by Carol and Tuvia Lazar in honor of Rabbi Rosenbaum, the Shimoff family, and all the volunteers who make Dor L'Dor happen! See flyer for details.
Street Smarts – Self-defense and anti-bullying training for boys and girls ages 6 – 12. Sunday, November 21, 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM in the Social Hall. Bring a parent to be your sparring partner. Free slice of pizza for all kids who complete the course. Program sponsored by Ben Yehuda Pizza. See flyer for details.
Chanukah Goody Bags – Come get your YISE Youth Chanukah goody bag, filled with crafts, toys, and yummy Chanukah treats! Generously sponsored by Alan & Fran Broder. For ages 2 – 12. Pre-registration is required at www.yise.org/bags Registration deadline is Monday, November 22. Pick up from YISE on Sunday, November 28, from 2:00pm to 4:00pm. Feel free to email questions to LKor@yise.org
Chanukah Extravaganza – Sunday, December 5, 10:30 AM in the Social Hall. Fun for the whole family! Watch your email for details.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday 7:30 PM, Zoom A, will not take place on Monday, November 22.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A. will resume on Sunday, November 28.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Hillel Shaps – Unraveling the Navi: Melachim Aleph
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more information, contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara – in person (Social Hall) and on Zoom F.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom D.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom H.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys, is on break until further notice.
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Sefer Bereishis, is on break until further notice.
* SCP (Semichat Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM. A new semester began on October 19. Join the fastest growing Halacha learning program in the world! Now back in person at YISE. Register at gwckollel.org/scp
* Rabbi Yehoushua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:20 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Monday – Parasha, Tuesday – Halachos, 8:45 AM, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a DeeperPerspective", Zoom E.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Kama 7th Perek Merubah. Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM, Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom E: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom F: ID: 349 754 2180, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
* The YISE Board has mandated that everyone 16 and older who is medically eligible for an FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 in order to enter the Shul building.
* Masks are required for ALL people in the YISE Arcola building, whether vaccinated or unvaccinated, except for children under the age of 2.
* There are no social distancing requirements in the YISE building. There are no in-person Kiddushes at this time.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
YISE Programs and Listings
Welcome new members voted in last week at the latest board meeting: Dova Boyars & Jake (Yanky) Adler.
Ashley Blaker – Let's have fun with Off-Broadway Comedian Ashley Blaker. Sunday, December 19, 8:30 PM. In-person at YISE. Sign up at www.yise.org/comedian See flyer for details.
Supporting Our Community – The YISE Social Committee treated the Wheaton Volunteer Rescue Squad to dinner on November 10 as a token of appreciation of their service to the community.
Office Note – Please do not put private trash in the YISE recycling or trash Dumpsters.
The Laws and Lessons of Shemitta – Recordings of this series with Rabbi Rosenbaum and Rabbi Postelnek available at https://wp.yise.org/shemitta
Ask the Rabbi: Chanukah – Tuesday, November 23, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM on Zoom A. Send in your questions about Chanukah to AskTheRabbi@yise.org by Sunday, November 21. For more information and to submit questions by phone or anonymously, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com See flyer for details.
To Kindle a Soul – Join us for a panel discussion about inspiration and growth with some of our community's most effective mentors! Monday night, November 29 (2nd night of Chanukah), 8:00 PM on Zoom A. See flyer for details.
Come Join Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee: Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, December 6, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim and Parsha Shiur – Videos of past Shiurim are now available at https://wp.yise.org/parsha
Kiddush in a Bag! While we are not yet back to regular in-Shul Kiddushes, we are happy to now offer Kiddush in a Bag for the 8:45 Minyan. To sponsor the Kiddush in a Bag, contact Simi Franco at email@example.com
Volunteers Are Needed Weekly to help assemble Kiddush in a Bag. If you can help please contact Simi Franco at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593-4465 x403.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this much-needed medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax-deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to email@example.com: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to the Shiurim sponsors for this Past Week:
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* Margie & Michael Hourwitz in honor of a Refuah Sheleimah to Rabbi Hyatt, in gratitude to Rabbi Grauman and in honor of all the Talmidim in the Shiur.
* David Jaray in honor of a Refuah Sheleimah to Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Judy & David Marwick in memory of Rabbi Seymour Spolter, HaRav Simcha Ben Yitzchak Kalman, Z"L, whose 40th Yahrzeit is 15 Kislev.
8:45 Minyan Shabbos Drasha
* Marsha & Yitz Kasdan in memory of Yitz's father, Dr. Bernard Kasdan, R. Shimshon Dov Ben Menachem Mann HaKohen, Z"L.
Community Programs & Listings
Condolences to Jonathan Chelst, Michael Chelst and the Chelst family on the passing of Florence Chelst. The funeral took place in Israel on Sunday.
Annual 50+ Expo – A free virtual Expo for people over 50, with resources from government agencies, non-profits and area businesses, as well as dozens of useful classes, speakers and entertainment, is available 24/7 at beacon50expo.com Visit as often as you like; register to be eligible for door prizes. For more info, contact email@example.com
Eruv Appeal 2021 – Silver Spring Eruv Association's 2021 Annual Appeal for funds to support operation of the White Oak-Northwood-Kemp Mill Eruv is happening now. Requested donation is $54 per household; larger or smaller gratefully accepted. Three ways to donate: PayPal to SilverSpringEruv@gmail.com or at www.yise.org/eruv; Venmo to @SilverSpringEruv; by check payable to SSEA, mailed to 707 Lamberton Drive, Silver Spring, MD 20902. Details and more info are in the postal appeal or can be found at www.yise.org/eruv
Federal Holiday Learning Program – Kollel Zichron Amram,Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 25. In person at the YGW Boys Campus and also on Zoom, Meeting ID: 892 627 5529, Passcode: 1216613. 7:45 AM Davening, 9:00 AM breakfast, 9:30 AM Chevrusa learning, 10:40 AM – 11:20 AM Shiur with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Rosh Kollel. Questions? Contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate, firstname.lastname@example.org or 240-858-2041.
Greater Washington Community Kollel invites the entire community to a gala Chanukah Celebration on Monday, November 29, 7:00 PM at SEHC, 10900 Lockwood Drive. At 7:30 PM, Miracles & Mesirus Nefesh, Nes & Nisayon: The Science of Miracles with Rabbi Moshe Walter Rabbi, Woodside Synagogue, and BALOONINESS!!! The Wondrous Balloon Show Presented by Mr. Airhead for children. Delicious Chanukah refreshments, live music & dancing, cotton candy and more!
Women's Online Shiur with Rabbi Yehoshua Levy- Free 1-hour shiur on Zoom on the first and third Sundays of each month at 7:15 PM. Topic: Eishet Hayil, with principles from Mesilat Yesharim and weekly Sidra. In English. All levels of ability are welcome. Contact Shiur Coordinator at email@example.com for details.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, December 1, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
New to Silver Spring? Not So New? Can't Wait to Meet You at Welcome to Town! – For women, Motzei Shabbos, November 20, 8:30 PM – 9:45 PM. Panel discussion, "Our Town", featuring Rivky Schwartz, Sara Elikan and Channah Cohen. RSVP to Esther Bergman 757-386-7837 and Devorah Rivka Shafran 443-416-0850.
Learning Tanach in Memory of Avi West, Z"L – Please join a Siyum Tanach for our friend and mentor, to be completed by his Yahrzeit, August 22, 2022 (25 Av, 5782). Please sign up for as many sections as you wish, from Chumash, Neviim and Kesuvim. Share this information with others who may be interested in joining this learning. Go to http://hadranalach.com/2090 to sign up.
Bring Some Warmth to the Capital Kosher Food Pantry – Please contribute warm soups, beverages and more to the Pantry's Winter Food Drive. You can drop off your donation in one of our local bins (located at YISE, KMS, Moti's & Shalom) or drop off/ship to the Pantry: Capital Kosher Pantry, 1910 University Boulevard West, Silver Spring, MD 20902. Suggested donations: boxed or canned soups, tea, hot cocoa, coffee, jarred gefilte fish, Shabbat & Yahrzeit candles, tea lights & olive oil.
Parsha Explorations with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Presented by the Greater Washington Community Kollel and Kemp Mill Synagogue, Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM at KMS and on Zoom, Meeting ID: 655 813 1022, Passcode: 365636. For men and women.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Birkat Hamazon with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email email@example.com
In Their Footsteps: Life Lessons From Our Patriarchs and Matriarchs – Wednesdays, 8:00 PM on Zoom F. Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. Series began October 13. Register at https://linksgw.org/classes
Navigating the Dating Experience – The Shidduch Spot of Greater Washington presents a series of talks to enhance the dating journey, featuring Rachel Burnham, Shidduch Dating Coach for Marriage-Minded Singles. December 8 and January 5 on Zoom, Meeting ID: 776 143 4208, password 613613. Each session starts at 8:30 PM.
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more info.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at email@example.com
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Thursday, November 25 – Thanksgiving Day
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 5:40 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 6:08 AM, Latest Netz: 7:05 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:26 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:26 PM, Earliest Shkia: 4:47 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 5:33 PM
November 26 – 27, 2021 – 23 Kislev 5782
* Light Candles by 4:29
* Mincha: 4:30 (B), 4:20 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 4:25 (B), 4:20 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 5:31
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, November 24 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Wednesday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Closed Thursday
Friday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager