Included in the PDF are the Israel Report, Likutei Torah, Hamaayan and GWCK Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
December 4 – 5, 2020 – 19 Kislev 5781 – Parshas Vayishlach
Light Candles by 4:27 – Havdalah 5:30
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Florence & Larry Radkowsky to commemorate the Yahrzeit of their mothers, Bessie Radkowsky, Basya bas Shalom Dov, Z"L, and Esther Kramer, Esther bas Asher Yehuda, Z"L.
* Elise & Ken Saks on the occasion of their daughter Talia's Bat Mitzvah. Mazal Tov to proud sister Mira and to honored grandparents Shelley & Steve Cohen and Bill & Ellen Saks.
* Miri Walls on her recent marriage to Yoni Schick.
Limited Minyanim are now taking place at YISE under Montgomery County's Phase 2 guidelines. All Minyanim require advance registration and confirmation. If you are interested in attending Minyanim and have not already registered, please go to https://www.yise.org/minyan If you are registered for a Minyan and are unable to attend at that time, please do not go to a different Minyan. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* Light Candles by 4:27
* Mincha: 4:35, 4:30 (Sephardi)
If you Daven Kabbalos Shabbos prior to Shkia (4:45 PM), it is preferable to Daven Mincha prior to Plag (3:45 PM).
* Shacharis: 7:05, 9:00, 9:30, 8:30 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 2:00, 3:30, 3:50 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 5:30
Begin to say Vesain Tal Umatar Livracha at Maariv on Motzei Shabbos.
YISE Youth Announcements
Dor L'Dor – Motzei Shabbos, December 5, 7:00 PM. Parasha, pizza, prizes and more – but this year virtual! This Dor L'Dor is sponsored in honor of Talia Saks' Bas Mitzvah with gratitude for her mom Elise's hard work as outgoing chair of the shul's Youth Committee and her dad Ken's hard work on the committee as well. Mazal Tov Talia! Next Dor L'Dor will be on December 19 -sign up at https://yise.org/dorldor If you have any questions or would like to sponsor, please contact Michael Shimoff at email@example.com See flyer for details.
You'll Like it a Latke! – December 6, 12 Noon. Latke making in your own kitchen, together on Zoom A. See flyer for details.
Youth Survey Pizza Raffle – YISE Youth is very happy to announce that Gil & Aliza Chlewicki are the winners of the YISE Youth Pizza Raffle! Thank you to all who signed up for the YISE Youth Database.
* Outdoor Minyan – If you are interested in an outdoor Minyan without a tent, subject to weather conditions, please email Ari Elias-Bachrach at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Advance registration for Minyanim is required and space is limited. Go to https://www.yise.org/minyan to register. If you have changes to your original registration form, please send an email to email@example.com with details.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and updated times, go to:
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday through Friday 8:30 AM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now studying Sefer Yehoshua,Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men and Women – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, will resume on Chanukah.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM (except as noted). For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men & Women – Zoom C (except as noted):
* Mondays: (for men only) Rabbi H. Shaps, On the Same Page Gemara, Zoom B.
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Grossman – Parshas Hashavua, 9:00 PM
* For Women – Zoom D:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Bereishis in-Depth
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Hillel Shaps. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, Zoom E.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, ¡§A Second Look-Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective¡¨, Zoom H.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM, Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 349 754 2180, password GWCK
Zoom C: ID: 746 455 2195, password GWCK
Zoom D: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
Zoom E: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom F: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
YISE Programs and Listings
Kristallnacht Program – Video Presentation: "Children Saved from the Nazis; The Story of Sir Nicholas Winton." and Post-Video Discussion with Rabbi Rosenbaum and Rabbi Weinberg, "The Impact of Our Actions in the Face of Challenges" are now available online at: https://wp.yise.org/kristallnacht-commemoration/
Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class – now on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee: Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, December 7, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Family Trivia Night – Fun for all ages! Sunday, December 13, 8:00 PM. Register at www.yise.org/trivia to play and to choose a Chanukah appetizer platter to enjoy while you play for first, second and third prizes! See flyer for details.
Shomrai Preschool Director – The YISE Preschool has hired a dynamic educator, the highly-regarded Director of Camp Shomrai, Sarah Dollman, to guide the education of the next generation of Preschool children. Sarah successfully piloted camp this past summer through the COVID crisis. She will now also be leading our Preschool! Plans are well underway for restarting the YISE Preschool for 2 – 5 year-olds, beginning this coming September. Stay tuned for further updates, including registration information and news about our revamped and re-invigorated program.
Go Social! Want to reconnect with shul friends you lost touch with these past COVID-19 months? We're missing our Shul buddies as well!
YISE's Social Committee wants your energy to help lead new (Zoom interactive, of course) programs. Sahra Ginsburg email@example.com Sharon Shimoff firstname.lastname@example.org and Max Rudmann email@example.com are waiting to hear from you. Our first event is the Family Trivia Night on December 13. See flyer for details.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org – Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, Name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
* Simi & Sammy Franco wish Brett Kugler a very Happy Birthday!
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Our current limited ability to Daven with a Minyan and to say Kaddish is difficult and a challenge. However, sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Sunday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Chumash Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The Pre-Shabbos Drasha video is available for sponsorship at $54.
Please email email@example.com to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha and Halacha Shiur
* Jacqueline & Rabbi Haim Arzouan for the first Yahrzeit of Jacqueline Arzouan's late brother, Moshe Lasry Ben David, Z¡¨L, on the 17th of Kislev
* Steve Kalin in honor of Rabbi Rosenbaum and a Refuah Shlema for Leah bas Risa.
* Eva & Nissy Moskowitz for the Yahrzeit of Nissy's father, Moshe ben Eliezer Nisan HaKohen, Z¡¨L, whose Yahrzeit is the 16th of Kislev.
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray for a Refuah Sheleima for Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend the Shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Dahlia & Hillel Weiss for the first Yahrzeit of Dahlia's sister, Ahuva bas Meir Shalom, Z¡¨L.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Erev Shabbos Parsha Drasha
* Anonymous in honor of Michael, Sharon, Dovie and Eli Shimoff for their tireless work for Dor L'Dor.
* Anonymous in honor of Steve, Matan and Edan Friedman for all their help on behalf of Shiva houses
Community Programs & Listings
Rabbi Silver is being installed as the Mora D'asra of the Young Israel of Long Beach on Tuesday, December 15, Rosh Chodesh Teves, the 6th night of Chanukah, at 8:30 PM. Advance registration is required. To register and for more information, go to https://www.yilb.org
Don't Forget the Eruv! Help keep the Eruv up in the October 2020 – September 2021 operating year. Donations pay for weekly inspection and repairs, as well as for longer-term maintenance and improvements. The requested donation is $54 per household, but smaller and larger amounts are gratefully accepted. SSEA is a 501(c)(3) organization, and contributions are tax deductible to the extent permitted by law. To donate, use the SSEAÂ "Donate" button at https://wp.yise.org/community-resources/eruv-info or mail a check to SSEA and mail it to 707 Lamberton Drive, Silver Spring, MD 20902. Questions? Email SilverSpringEruv@gmail.com On behalf of the entire community, thank you!
The Yad Yehuda Clothing Exchange will be open to all members of the community this Sunday, December 6, 10:00 AM – 12 Noon. This is your opportunity to shop, at no cost, for beautiful, modest clothing in our well-equipped showroom. Shoppers must be in good health, not have been in contact with someone who tested positive for Covid, wear masks and maintain social distancing. As we cannot accommodate walk-ins at this time, please schedule an appointment at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fhBnGaaLIgwaEUT4rDFUwdVKGz1_U9CeOYD-f_A10iY/edit For questions or to schedule an appointment on another day: firstname.lastname@example.org
Together While Apart: Caring and Compassion During a Pandemic – Sunday, December 6, 11:00 AM on Zoom with Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington. Presented by Dvora Entin, LCSW, PMH-C. Sponsored by David and Naomi Balto. For more information, call 202-331-4481 or email email@example.com Register online at: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZEkcuurrjIrG9KS4IGthQ1ciiiC5ZQ9htbw
Still Waters Run Deep: A Dive into the Meaning and Challenges of Mikvah – with dynamic speaker Mrs. Debbie Greenblatt, Tuesday, December 8, 8:30 PM on Zoom. Join the women of the Greater Washington area for a moving and educational evening, sponsored by the Robin Niman Mikvah Education Fund, established in memory of Robin Niman, A"H, and by My Gift of Mikvah. Zoom Meeting ID: 815 3320 5951. Passcode: 131785, direct link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81533205951?pwd=Rnd6T0xHYVJwOXF0Zmk3dElBdnZRZz09 Call in number: 301-715-8592.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, December 9, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Chanukah Sparks of Inspiration – Short videos for each day of Chanukah from the Vaad Harabanim of Greater Washington. See flyer for details.
Chaiyanu Chanukah Fundraiser – In honor of Chanukah, I decided to create a fundraiser giving 15 doughnuts for every $15 donated through the link below. All profits will be donated to this incredible organization helping support kids suffering from cancer and their families. Additionally, all the doughnuts you sponsor will be delivered to sick patients spending the holidays in the hospital and other treatments! Please consider donating and sharing the link with friends and family! Emanuelle Hutman (Berman 2020) https://teamlifelineisrael.rallybound.org/Emanuelle
Penetrating Thoughts and Practical Perspectives – Thoughts on life, Torah and Middos. Based on Michtav M'Eliyahu, from Rav Eliyahu Dessler, Z"L. Mondays, 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher. Zoom – Meeting ID: 736 4190 7086, Passcode: torah. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Journey to Virtue: Self-Development through Jewish Study – Wednesdays, 8:00 PM on Zoom. Discover the great wisdom of the Jewish tradition to help you reach your full potential, enhance your relationships, and live life with greater meaning! Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. The journey continues. Join any time! No cost. Zoom info and registration at linksgw.org/classes
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Kemp Mill Village is providing friendly phone calls and limited deliveries during the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer. See kempmillvillage.org for more information.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Friday, December 11 – Chanukah
Limited Minyanim will take place at YISE next week, advance registration and confirmation required. You are encouraged to Daven at home at the same time as a Minyan at YISE.
Shacharis: Sunday 6:30 AM/7:30 AM/8:45 AM; Monday through Thursday 6:30 AM/7:00 AM/8:45 AM; Friday 6:15 AM/7:00 AM/8:45 AM.
Mincha/Maariv: Sunday – Thursday: 4:35 PM.
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 5:52 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 6:21 AM, Latest Netz: 7:19 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:36 AM,
Earliest Mincha: 12:33 PM, Earliest Shkia: 4:45 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 5:31 PM
December 11 – 12, 2020 – 26 Kislev 5781
Parshas Vayeishev/Chanukah/Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles: 4:27
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, December 9 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com Website: www.yise.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday – 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Simi Franco – Office Manager