Parshas Vayishlach – December 13-14, 2019
Download the December 13 – 14, 2019 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
December 13 – 14, 2019 – 16 Kislev 5780 – Parshas Vayishlach
Light Candles by 4:28 – Havdalah 5:31
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Leah Covel and her family to extend our gratitude for all the condolence visits, food and other help, including heaters, during our mourning period. We are overwhelmed by the community's Chesed.
* Sandy & Rabbi Hal Axelrod on the birth, Bris and Pidyon Haben of a great-grandson, born to Tal & Maor Shooshan of Tel Aviv. Mazal Tov to grandparents Etkah & Danny Moore of Petach Tikvah.
* Rosalyn Bramson on the birth of a great-granddaughter, Talia Shayne Plaut. Mazal Tov to parents Nomi & Michael Plaut and grandparents Janet & Robert Spector.
* Esther & David Hornestay on the birth of a great-granddaughter, Adi, to Shira & Barak Klammer of Ramat Beit Shemesh, Israel.
* Debra & Arthur Sapper on the birth of a granddaughter to Sarah & Rabbi Dovid Brotsky of Cincinnati.
* Debra & Arthur Sapper on the Bat Mitzvah of their granddaughter, Nechama Ita Bayla, and also to her parents, Sarah & Rabbi Dovid Brotsky of Cincinnati.
* Gloria & Arnold Sherman and Pat & Neil Koslowe on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandsons, Akiva and Nachshon, sons of their children, Talia & Simi Sherman of Ramat Beit Shemesh, Israel. The Bar Mitzvah took place at Masada. Mazal Tov to Akiva and Nachshon's siblings, Penina, Ephraim and Elisha, and to all of the aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Charlotte Weill and the entire extended Weill family on the birth of a great-grandson, born to Shira & Mutti Kohn of Baltimore. Mazal Tov to grandparents Malky & Menachem Weill.
* Kitty Wertheimer on the birth of her first great-grandson, Judah, son of Natalie & Avi DuBois of Detroit and grandson of Nancy & Jeffrey DuBois of Tucson, AZ and Yona & Bob Kahn of Detroit.
* Dalia Weiss on the passing of her sister, Ahuva Stein. Shiva being observed through Wednesday morning at Moshe Sharett 14, second entrance 9Bet, Apt. 6, Tel Aviv. Dalia can be reached at 053-716-2428 (within Israel) or 972-53-716-2428 (from US).
* Jessica Eizenstat on the passing of her father, Robert Gold. Shiva is being observed at 1111 North Belgrade Road through Tuesday morning. Visiting hours Motzei Shabbos: 7:00 PM – 10:00 PM, Sunday & Monday: 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM and 2:30 PM – 10:00 PM, Tuesday 9:00 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Ilana Sultan on the passing of her mother, Rita Sultan. Shiva is being observed at 9 Cosgrave Court through Wednesday morning. Minyan schedule: Shacharis Sunday 8:00 AM, Monday 6:45 AM, Tuesday/Wednesday 7:00 AM. Mincha/Maariv Sunday/Monday/Tuesday 4:35 PM. The family requests no visitors from 12 Noon to 1:00 PM and from 6:30 PM – 7:30 PM.
* Light Candles by 4:28
Ashkenazi: 4:30 Ruach: 4:30 Sephardi: 4:25 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:25 Sephardi: 4:05 Nusach Sefard: 4:25
* Shabbos ends: 5:31
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi – Luna & Avi Perez
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – the Weinstein family in honor of Jeffrey's and Hannah's birthdays.
* 9:15 Minyan – the Saks Family in honor of Talia, Ken, and Elise's birthdays.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 3:35 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha
YISE Programs and Listings
Ruach Minyan – This Friday, December 13, in the Large Social Hall. There is a special children's story-telling program during part of the Davening. Bring the family and invite your friends, it's going to be Gevaldic! For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Trivia Night – This Motzei Shabbos, December 14, 7:30 PM in the Social Hall. See flyer for details.
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, December 18, 12 Noon, Social Hall. Dr. Alan Breitler, "Great Scientists, J J Thomson and the Discovery of the Electron"
Rabbi Meir Goldwicht, Scholar-in-Residence – YISE & KMS are cohosting Rabbi Meir Goldwicht, the Joel and Maria Finkle Visiting Israeli Rosh Yeshiva at Yeshiva University, for a community Scholar-in- Residence program on Shabbos December 20 – 21. RSVP deadline for Community Dinner is Sunday, December 15. See flyers for more details.
Dor l'Dor – Come join Dor l'Dor: the Family Chevrusah-style Learning in a fun environment, Motzei Shabbos, December 21, 7:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. Delicious Pizza! Interactive Discussions! Raffle of Exciting Prizes! To sponsor this program, contact Michael Shimoff at email@example.com
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth rooms behind the Balcony. 1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Tot Shabbat – with Suri Kinzbrunner 10:30 AM – 11:00 AM in the toddler room for ages 2 and under.
Chanukah Carnival – Sunday, December 22, 12:30 PM – 2:30 PM. See flyer for details.
Preschool Shabbos Lunch – Save the date for our first ever Shomrai Preschool Shabbos lunch! January 11, 2020 in the YISE Social Hall. For current, former, and prospective preschool families and staff. More information coming soon! Sponsorships available.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by Classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, in the Large Social Hall. Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM, in the Small Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah,
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An in-depth analysis
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver in the Small Social Hall. For more information please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: firstname.lastname@example.org or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Small Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM, in the Social Hall
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women – new topic: A 2nd Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective. Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, in the Social Hall at 7:50 PM.
Community Programs & Listings
Tzurba M'Rabanan – text-based Halacha Sefer learning group meets every Shabbos. Men's group at 3:00 PM at the home of Eric & Suri Kinzbrunner, 1151 Kersey Road. Women's group Oneg at 4:00 PM, class at 4:15 PM, at the home of Josh & Mickie Breitstein, 1215 North Belgrade Road. Each class is independent – drop-ins welcome.
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, December 14, 3:00 PM at 1121 University Blvd. West Apt. 516.
Ma Rabu Ma'asecha…Celebrating the Wonder of Hashem's Creations – "Maimonides and the Big Bang" – Dr. Jeremy Schnittman, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center. Torah insights from Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky, Rosh HaYeshiva of YGW. The community is invited to join us for this thought-provoking presentation on Sunday, December 15, at 3:00 PM at the YGW Boys Campus 1216 Arcola Avenue, Silver Spring, MD 20902. For more information contact Rabbi Scott Hillman 301-962-5111 ext 1553 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Berman Hebrew Academy Lower School Parlor Meeting – Sunday, December 15, 8:00 PM at the home of Elise & Ken Saks, 502 Hillsboro Drive. Head of School, Rabbi Dr. Kastan, as well as Suzy Israel and Rachel Handloff, the Lower School Principals, will be speaking and answering questions about the academic program and our philosophical approach to teaching and learning. Come find out more about the amazing Berman experience!
DNA Evidence in Jewish Law – Lunch & Learn for men and women with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman. Presented by GWCK. Monday, December 16, 12:45 PM – 1:30 PM at BECO Building West – Bet Medrash, 2nd floor, 5410 Edson Lane, Rockville, MD. Complimentary lunch will be served. RSVP required to email@example.com
Post High School Girls Shiur – Tuesday night, December 17, 8:30 PM at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Road. This week the Shiur will be given by Rabbi Rosenbaum.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, December 18, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Ovadia Hayat at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
Federal Jobs – Free webinar by Corliss Jackson on Thursday, December 19, 7:00 PM to 7:30 PM. For more information and to register, please visit www.FederalJobResults.com/events
GWCK Chanukah Celebration – GWCK invites the entire community to a gala Chanukah celebration! Join us for inspiring words of Torah by Rabbi Michoel Frank, delicious hot Chanukah refreshments, live music, spirited dancing, a magical performance for the kids, and much more! Free admission. Monday, December 23, at 7:00 PM at SEHC, 10900 Lockwood Drive. Contact email@example.com with any questions.
Simply Tsfat – Live in concert at KMS, Tuesday, December 24, 8:00 PM. Tickets: adult $10, children & students $5, sponsors $100. Purchase tickets at www.kmsynagogue.org or at the door.
Celebration of the 13th Global Siyum Hashas – Wednesday, January 1, 1:00 PM – 3:30 PM at Woodside Synagogue, 9001 Georgia Avenue, Silver Spring. Livestreaming of the Siyum from MetLife Stadium, Chinese buffet lunch, and programming for adults and children. Free of charge. RSVP by December 18 online at www.surveymonkey.com/r/SiyumHaShas or contact Sara Silver at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-908-0794. Questions? Contact Arnie Rosenthal at email@example.com or 202-532-3317.
Camp Chaverim – Registration is OPEN for Summer 2020! Early bird discount! New referral discount program! Two Sessions: June 24 – July 19 and July 20 – August 13. Camp Divisions: Camper Division, Senior Division, Masmidim Division. For more information and to see our new Camp Video, visit our website at chaverimovernight.com Contact us at 410-925-2257 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Capital Kosher Pantry – A bowl of hot soup is comforting this time of year…but Capital Kosher Pantry patrons need the essentials to get there. Donations of soup in all forms (consommé, packets, mixes, cartons, cans) are most welcome, along with "extras" such as barley, lentils and crackers. Other foods are also very welcome. Please place your donations in Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry boxes in many area Shuls and schools, Shalom Kosher, Moti's Market or at the Yad Yehuda House, 1910 University Blvd West. Or, you can order online at yadyehuda.org/pantry and have items shipped directly to the Pantry. Thank you!
Partners in Tefillah matches people with others in need of similar assistance from Hashem. The feedback we have received so far has been amazing. You, too, can Daven for someone else in the community and have them daven for you. May Hashem answer all your prayers. Please visit www.yadyehuda.org/partners-in-tefillah to learn more and to sign up.
Daf Yomi Shiur meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Kollel Dirshu of Silver Spring is studying Maseches Gittin at the YGW. Daily morning shiur given by Rabbi Eli Reingold at 5:45 AM and evening shiur by Ranon Cortell and Pinchas Werner at 9:00 PM. Chavrusah are also available during these learning times. For more information and to join our learning program please contact Hirsh Komarow (301) 681-1646; email@example.com
Dirshu Mishnah Brurah – Learn Chelek Daled with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Learn the Halachos of Eruvin and Techumin. Finish the Chelek in eleven months! Monday through Thursday at YISE after Maariv. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 12:30 PM – 1:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday December 15 Monday December 16 Tuesday December 17 Wednesday December 18 Thursday December 19 Friday December 20
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 4:35 4:35 / 7:30 4:35 / 7:30 4:35 / 7:30 4:35 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:30 4:30 4:30 4:30 4:30
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:26 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:41 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:37 PM
December 20 – 21, 2019 – 23 Kislev 5780
Light Candles: Friday by 4:31 – Havdalah: 5:34
* Light Candles by 4:31
Ashkenazi: 4:35 Sephardi: 4:30 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:30 Sephardi: 4:10 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:34
Friday, December 13 Ruach Minyan, 4:30 PM
Motzei Shabbos, Dec. 14 Trivia Night, 7:30 PM
Tuesday, December 17 YISE Board of Directors Meeting, 8:00 PM
Wednesday, December 18 Senior Lunch, 12 Noon
Friday, December 20 Community Dinner, 5:30 PM (RSVP required)
Shabbos, Dec. 20 – 21 Rabbi Meir Goldwicht, Scholar-in-Residence
Motzei Shabbos, Dec. 21 Dor L'Dor, 7:00 PM
Sunday, December 22 Chanukah Carnival, 12:30 PM – 2:30 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline:Wednesday, December 18 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday: 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager