Included in the PDF are the Israel Report, Hammayan and Likutei Torah, all of which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
March 27 – 28, 2020 – 3 Nissan 5780 – Parshas Vayikra
Light Candles by 7:09 – Havdalah 8:09
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Rosalyn Bramson on the 4th Yahrtzeit of Arnold Bramson, Z"L, Alexander Ziskind ben Yehuda Leib HaLevi.
* Rebecca & Elias-Bachrach on the Bat Mitzvah of their daughter, Aliza, and on her completing Mishnah Seder Moed. We will, B’ezrat Hashem, be able to celebrate these accomplishments soon.
* Hedy Peyser on the engagement of her granddaughter, Ariana Brody, to Jonathan Silverman, son of Adrian & Lenny Silverman. Ariana's parents are Shoshana Peyser-Brody & Robert Brody.
Note the following temporary changes to YISE events. Additional information will be sent by email and posted on www.yise.org as the situation evolves.
* All public activities at YISE are cancelled, including Minyanim, Youth Groups, Shiurim and special events.
* A number of YISE and community Shiurim are taking place at their usual times via teleconference or an online system such as Zoom.
* Additional teleconference and online Shiurim have been added to help people connect to each other during this time.
* Sale of Chometz will be handled online and by phone. Details will be sent via email and posted on www.yise.org
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
* Please continue to be vigilant regarding matters of personal hygiene as previously advised. If you are unwell, please do not enter the Shul or other public places. We urge you to adhere to all medical advice you may receive regarding self-quarantine.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep us all in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Note that Davening times are listed for reference so that people may Daven at the same time as others. There are no Minyanim at YISE at this time.
* Light Candles by 7:09, and not before Plag, 6:09
* Mincha: Ashkenazi: 7:10 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00 If you Daven Kabbalos Shabbos/Maariv prior to Shkia (7:27 PM), it is preferable to Daven Mincha prior to Plag (6:09 PM). Shabbos Day:
* Shacharis: Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
* Mincha: Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:05 Sephardi: 6:50 Nusach Sefard: 7:05
* Shabbos ends: 8:09
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list, go to https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact firstname.lastname@example.org conference call A.
* Rabbi Silver's Community Tehillim and Emunah Shiur, Thursdays at 9:00 PM, Zoom C.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, Zoom D.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* For Men & Women – Zoom E:
* Mondays: Rabbi E. Gayer – A to Z of Jewish Living
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Grossman – Parshas Hashavua
* For Women – Zoom F:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An indepth analysis
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Bereishis in-Depth
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver in the Large Social Hall. For more information, please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: firstname.lastname@example.org or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com – Zoom B.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, conference call B.
For Zoom, go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call in using the listed number:
* Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, phone 301-715-8592
* Zoom B: ID: 226 175 681, phone 929-205-6099, password 044308
* Zoom C: ID: 230 274 007, phone 929-205-6099, password 079192
* Zoom D: ID: 349 754 2180, phone 301-715-8592
* Zoom E: ID: 746 455 2195, phone 301-715-8592
* Zoom F: ID: 601 853 4021, phone 301-715-8592
* Conference call A: Dial in: 480-660-5302 PIN: 565-527
* Conference call B: Dial in: 717-275-8940 PIN: 345-0663
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome new members who were voted in at the last Board meeting: Esti & Avi Furman, Emma & Aaron Lash, Yoni Levine and Tali & Aryeh Lichtman.
YISE Youth Matzah Baking with Morah Suri – Sunday, March 29, 11:00 AM, Zoom A listed above. See flyer for details.
Pre-Pesach Class with Rabbi Rosenbaum – Sunday, March 29, 8:00 PM, Zoom A listed above.
Conversations in Coping – Join 3 of our esteemed local therapists for practical skills on maintaining sanity during coronavirus, online, Zoom A listed above. Monday, March 30, 9:00 PM, Wednesday, April 1, 9:00 PM and Monday, April 13, 8:00 PM. See flyer for details.
Camp Shomrai 2020 is open for registration! Programs for campers entering 2-year-old Preschool through 9th grade. Camp Dates: Monday, June 29 – Thursday, August 13. Register online at https://campshomrai.campapplications.com For more information contact Sarah Dollman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Shomrai Preschool 2020-2021 – Online registration is now open for children ages 2 to 5 years old with customizable extended care options from 7:30 AM to 6:00 PM. Visit preschool.yise.org or email email@example.com for more information or to schedule a tour. Ask about our special, deeply reduced tuition for incoming 2-year-olds!
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Community Programs & Listings
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Free Webinars on Federal Jobs – Presented by Kathryn Troutman of Resume Place:
* "Federal Resume Writing in the Outline Format" – Tuesday, March 31, register at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/98818214941
* "Writing Your Outline Format Federal Resume," with Kathryn Troutman, Friday, April 3, 12 Noon – 12:45 PM. Register at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/100970591758
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 7:00 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM, Friday 5:45 PM.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, April 1, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info. or go to www.kempmilltoastmasters.com for the latest information including online meeting details.
Partners in Tefillah matches people with others in need of similar assistance from Hashem. The feedback we have received so far has been amazing. You, too, can Daven for someone else in the community and have them daven for you. May Hashem answer all your prayers. Please visit www.yadyehuda.org/partners-in-tefillah to learn more and to sign up.
Community Helping Community: Yad Yehuda’s COVID-19 Crisis Relief – During this crisis, previously financially stable households in our community are already experiencing financial challenges. Yad Yehuda is receiving many more assistance requests than usual. With Pesach coming soon, we expect that to increase. Community financial donations are critical now. Please make an additional donation to Yad Yehuda today to help us address this unforeseen need at www.yadyehuda.org/donate A COVID-19 Telephone Assistance Hotline is now available at 301-494-1010, Sunday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM. When you call, one of our dedicated Yad Yehuda volunteers will answer questions and help connect you with resources in the Jewish community and the area at large. If the volunteer is unable to answer your issue or question, they will, IY"H, ensure that someone gets back to you in a timely manner. Our friendly volunteers are there to help and will do so with the utmost discretion and privacy. Please visit www.yadyehuda.org/covid19 for additional and updated information.
Capital Kosher Pantry: Annual Chometz-Be-Gone Drive – As you clean your home for Pesach, please donate unwanted Chometz to the Capital Kosher Pantry. Food should be shelf-stable, in sealed containers, well within the sell-by date and have kosher certification. Please deposit food in our collection bins located outside KMS, YISE and the Woodside Shul; in Shalom Kosher and Moti's Market; and outside our Pantry at 1910 University Blvd West. All bins are checked daily. Please do not bring any Chometz after April 7.
The Franco Foundation – Helping the community from within the community. The Foundation helps our community’s needy all year long, and distributes more around Pesach to cover additional expenses. It is distributing assistance through Shalom scrip as well as financial assistance. If you know of a family or individual that requires assistance for Pesach or is in a financial bind, please contact the Foundation at its email address, below. Your suggestion will remain anonymous. Please send your generous tax-deductible donation to: The Franco Foundation/613 Bromley Street/Silver Spring, MD 20902, or through PayPal, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
No Minyanim will take place at YISE next week. You are encouraged to Daven at home at your regular Minyan time. Mincha was scheduled for March 29 – April 2 at 7:15 PM (Ashkenazi)/7:10 PM (Sephardi). In addition to Shiurim listed above, conference calls are scheduled with Rabbi Rosenbaum for Tehillim and a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha in the mornings (Sunday 9:00 AM, Monday through Friday 8:30 AM) and for Tehillim and a 15-minute Shiur on Hilchos Pesach in the evenings (Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM) using Zoom A listed above.
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:04 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:59 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:45 PM
Sunday, March 29 YISE Youth Matzah Baking, 11:00 AM
Sunday, March 29 Pre-Pesach Class with Rabbi Rosenbaum, 8:00 PM
April 3 – 4, 2020 – 10 Nissan 5780
Parshas Tzav/Shabbos HaGadol
Light Candles: Friday by 7:16 Havdalah: 8:16
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, April 1 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager