Included in the PDF are the Israel Report, Likutei Torah, Hamaayan and GWCK Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
March 19 – 20, 2021 – 7 Nissan 5781 – Parshas Vayikra
Light Candles by 7:01 – Havdalah 8:01
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Marion & Bernard Muller in honor of Ari Elias-Bachrach for organizing and maintaining the outdoor Shabbos Minyan, and to Eric & Liba Golman for hosting the Minyan, and to all who give of their time to learn and Layn the Torah at the Minyan,
and by Janet Rottenberg, Mindy & Shmuel Tolchinsky & family, Simi & Sammy Franco & family and Jerry Rottenberg to commemorate the 10th Yahrzeit of their husband, father, grandfather, and great-grandfather, Melvin Rottenberg, Menachem Mendel ben Zvi Yehuda, on the 9th of Nissan.
* Jorden Brinn on his engagement to Tova Dreyfus of New Haven, CT.
* Arleeta & Rabbi Dr. Ivan Lerner on the birth of a great-granddaughter in Yerushalayim, to their grandchildren, Shoshanah (Miller) & Shlomo Zalman Kaplan. Mazal Tov to great-grandmother Ilene Miller and grandparents D'vorah & Rabbi Shmuel Miller and Beth & Chaim Kaplan.
* Mrs. Charlotte Weill and family on the birth of a great-grandson. The parents are Ariella & Dov Weill of Chicago and the grandparents are Malka & Menachem Weill of Baltimore. May we all have Nachas fromhim in the future.
Limited Minyanim are now taking place at YISE under Montgomery County's Phase 2 guidelines. All Minyanim require advance registration and confirmation. If you are interested in attending Minyanim and have not already registered, please go to https://www.yise.org/minyan If you are registered for a Minyan and are unable to attend at that time, please do not go to a different Minyan. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com
* Light Candles by 7:01
* Mincha: 7:10, 7:05 (Sephardi)
If you Daven Kabbalos Shabbos prior to Shkia (7:19 PM), it is preferable to Daven Mincha prior to Plag (6:03 PM).
* Shacharis: 7:00, 9:00, 9:30, 8:30 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 2:30, 4:30, 6:30, 6:30 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 8:01
YISE Youth Announcements
Pesach Crafts Workshop – Bring your creative ideas for a fun Pesach building experience! Sunday, March 21, 11:00 AM on Zoom A. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org to participate. See flyer for details.
First Pizza after Pesach – Support YISE Youth and get a chance to eat the first or second pizza out of Ben Yehuda's oven after Pesach. Two pies! Two winners! $10 donation includes one chance to win. $18 donation includes two chances to win. To participate, go to: https://wp.yise.org/donate In the description, enter the word "Pizza." Deadline for participating is Wednesday, March 24 at 9:00 PM. Winners will be announced on Thursday, March 25. Thank you for supporting the YISE Youth Program.
Camp Shomrai is back for another fun-filled summer with programming for children in preschool through ninth grade! Camp runs from July 5th through August 13th. For more info or to register online, visit our website at https://campshomrai.org See flyer for details.
All Full Members may go to www.yise.org/vote for the Assistant Rabbi election. The election is open until 5:00 PM, Sunday, March 21.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday through Friday 8:30 AM – Zoom A, will not meet on Friday, March 26.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, New time this week: 8:00 PM – Zoom A, will not meet on Thursday, March 25.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A, will resume April 11.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, will resume on March 31.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now studying Sefer Yehoshua, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men and Women – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM, will resume on April 11.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, will resume on April 11.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings at 7:30 PM, Zoom I.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM (except as noted). For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361. All GWCK Shiurim are on Pesach break, resuming Wednesday, April 7.
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Hillel Shaps. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org , New semester starting after Pesach. Stay tuned for more details.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, will resume on April 6.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, ¡§A Second Look-Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective¡¨, will resume after Pesach.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM, will resume on April 14.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom I: ID: 269 840 3648, password online Pearls, phone 621690
* Outdoor Minyan – If you are interested in a Shabbos morning outdoor Minyan without a tent, subject to weather conditions, please email Ari Elias-Bachrach at email@example.com
* Advance registration for Minyanim is required and space is limited. Go to https://www.yise.org/minyan to register. If you have changes to your original registration form, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with details.
* March Minyan Madness! Due to increased demand and Daylight Saving Time starting, we have added a Plag Friday night Minyan, an additional Shabbos Mincha Minyan and will add a weekday early Mincha/late Maariv starting the week after Pesach. To sign up for any of these Minyanim orto change your existing Minyan schedule, please send an email to email@example.com with details.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
YISE Programs and Listings
Pesach Page – Go to www.yise.org/pesach for complete Pesach information, including a series of Seder Thoughts videos from Rabbi Rosenbaum.
Zoom Taanis Bechoros Siyum – There will be a Siyum on Zoom A on Thursday morning following each Ashkenazi Minyan. The Siyum start times will be no earlier than 6:35 AM (for the 6:15 AM Minyan), 7:25 AM (for the 7:00 AM Minyan) and 9:10 AM (for the 8:45 AM Minyan). The Daf Yomi will be learning the last Amud of Pesachim, culminating with a Siyum. The Daf Yomi Shiur will begin at 9:30 AM, with the Siyum following, with the Shiur and the Siyum broadcast on Zoom A. Those who would have to fast if not for the Siyum should make sure to eat something as soon as possible after the Siyum. Please mute your audio when you join the Zoom meeting in order to make sure the Mesayem can be heard.
Chametz Sale – Now available online at www.yise.org/chametz All forms should be submitted by 10:00 AM, Friday, March 26. Contact Rabbi Rosenbaum if you have any questions, including sale of Chametz outside the local area.
Chametz Dumpster – A Dumpster will be available from Tuesday, March 23, through Friday morning, March 26, at YISE. Please note the following important rules to make sure that there is space available for everyone who needs it:
* This is for Chametz trash only. Please separate Chametz from non-Chametz trash as much as possible and leave your non-Chametz trash for regular (Monday for most of Kemp Mill) pickup.
* This is not to be used for: furniture, mattresses, scrap metal, construction materials or other non-food related items. Most items that can't be placed in your regular trash pickup will be picked up for FREE from your home by Montgomery County upon request.
Pesach Hospitality – Go to https://wp.yise.org/pesach-hospitality to sign up as a host or a guest for Pesach hospitality, including Sedarim.
The Koren Haggada – Free copies of the Young Israel edition, with commentary by Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks, Z¡¨L, are available. Contact the YISE office at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to pick one up.
Maos Chittim – People who would like to drop off checks (made out to YISE Charity Fund) or cash can place them in envelopes marked PESACH and drop them through the mail slot at the home of Yale & Sahra Ginsburg, 11700 Fulham Street, through Tuesday evening, March 23. Please do not donate to Maos Chittim through the YISE PayPal account.
The YISE Nominating Committee has been appointed and will be accepting nominations for officer and trustee positions on the board of directors through April 9. Please email the chair, Stuart Rosenthal, at email@example.com with nominations or any questions.
Update: Being Social. In the past few months, YISE's Social Committee has organized a range of programs to bring us together virtually – Trivia Night, Painting, a Purim Shpiel… We have also expressed our thanks to the Holy Cross Hospital health workers and treated the Wheaton Rescue Squad to a special dinner. A second Trivia night is scheduled for Sunday, April 25. Watch for details. Want to help? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org 41st Annual Yom Hashoah v'Hagvurah Program – Featuring Irma Pretsfelder. Sunday, April 11, 7:30 PM on Zoom A. Presented by YISE & KMS. See flyer for details.
Come Join Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee: Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, April 12, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
Registration for Shomrai Preschool 2021-2022 is now open! We are excited to be offering a Torah-rich, child-centered program for children entering 2 year-old Nursery – 4 year-old Pre-K. School day runs from 8:30 AM – 3:00 PM. Extended care options available from 7:30 AM -8:30 AM and 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM. Register early for maximum savings! Visit our website for tuition rates and online registration at https://preschool.yise.org/registration For more information about the program email Sarah Dollman at firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT”L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Bobbi & Jules Meisler wishing a belated happy 98th birthday to Marvin Konick
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis. Our current limited ability to Daven with a Minyan and to say Kaddish is difficult and a challenge. However, sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one.
Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Sunday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The Pre-Shabbos Drasha video is available for sponsorship at $54.
Please email to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha and Halacha Shiur
* Judy & David Marwick in memory of Judy's father, Abraham Spector, Avraham ben Nosson Nuta, whose Yahrzeit is Rosh Chodesh Nissan.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur
* Esther & David Hornestay on the occasion of the 20th Yahrzeit of David's mother, Anna Klayman Hornestay, Hinda Rivka bas Chaim, A¡¨H, on the 4th of Nissan.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Erev Shabbos drasha
* Bev Morris & Art Boyars in memory of Bev's mother, Evelyn G. Butler Morris. Chava Gittel Bas Shraga Feivel Ha'Levi v'Michla Reichel, 6 Nissan.
* Zach & Adina Neumann to mark the first Yahrzeit of Adina's father, Dr. Judah Goldwasser, Yehuda Meir ben Mordechai Gimple.
* Janet Rottenberg, Mindy & Shmuel Tolchinsky & family, Simi & Sammy Franco & family & Jerry Rottenberg on the 10th Yahrzeit of their husband, father, grandfather & great-grandfather, Melvin Rottenberg, Menachem Mendel ben Zvi Yehuda on the 9th of Nissan.
Community Programs & Listings
Condolences to former YISE member Ira Zimmerman on the passing of his mother, Natalie Zimmerman.
The Franco Foundation -This year will you be ready to say: “Let all who are hungry come and eat?” The Franco Foundation can help you fulfill the Mitzvah of Maos Chittim. The Foundation has seen a surge for requests for financial assistance, and not just at Pesach. The Foundation helps our brethren in the Washington area with the essentials of food, clothing, and shelter. Send your generous tax-deductible contribution (marked Maos Chittim) to: The Franco Foundation, 613 Bromley Street, Silver Spring, MD 20902, or through PayPal using our email Thefrancofoundation@gmail.com
Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington – These unique times continue to be difficult for so many. Over the past year, in a tangible expression of concern and love, so many of you have stepped up to make a meaningful difference in the lives of your neighbors. It has been an honor and an inspiration to work side-by-side with so many amazing volunteers in Yad Yehuda and across all our communal organizations toward the same mission: to care for our friends and neighbors in need. We are truly a holy people. Mi K'Amcha Yisrael! Please contribute to our Maos Chittim campaign at www.yadyehuda.org Wishing you and your family a safe and healthy Chag Kasher v'Sameach,
Passover Car Cleaning to Benefit MES – Shine My Ride by Empire www.shinemyride.com is offering special pricing on car detailing and a portion of the proceeds will benefit the Mikvah Emunah Society. Interior Spruce, $35 sedan/coupe, $55 SUV/wagon/crossover/minivan (2 car minimum for mobile service). Deluxe Interior Detail $100 sedan/coupe, $155 SUV/wagon/crossover/minivan. Child Car Seat Cleaning is $20 per seat.
NEW Germ & bacteria steam sanitization $50 extra. We can come to you or you can come to us! 5006 Howard Ave. Beltsville, MD. Exterior wash/tire shine add $30, wash and wax add $75. Book your appointment for 3/9 through 3/26 by email email@example.com or call 240-965-6095. For further information (not to book appointments), contact Rhonda Lehman firstname.lastname@example.org or call 301-351-1725
Sulam 9th Annual Linda Silverman Kahan, A”H, Virtual Memorial Lecture – Sunday, April 11, 10:00 AM on Zoom. All proceeds will benefit Sulam, the only Jewish special education program in the DC area. A generous Sulam donor has agreed to match every dollar raised. The event will feature guest speaker Dr. Joshua Milner on the topic “Judaism, Immunology and the Pandemic: The Road Ahead.” To register, go to: https://www.sulam.org/lkml2021
JCRC Community Yom Hashoah Commemoration – Online on Sunday, April 11, 1:00 PM. Keynote speaker Elisha Wiesel, son of Elie Wiesel. For more details and to register, go to https://www.jcouncil.org/events/2021-community-wide-yom-hashoah-commemoration
Penetrating Thoughts and Practical Perspectives – Thoughts on life, Torah and Middos. Based on Michtav M'Eliyahu, from Rav Eliyahu Dessler, Z”L. Mondays, 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher. Zoom – Meeting ID: 736 4190 7086, Passcode: torah. Presented by YGW Kollel Zichron Amram. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
What Happened at Sinai: An Exploration of the Sinai Revelation and the Ten Commandments – Wednesdays, 8:00 PM on Zoom. Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. Join any time! No cost. Zoom info and registration at linksgw.org/classes
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click “Sign Up.”
Kemp Mill Village is providing friendly phone calls and limited deliveries during the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer. See kempmillvillage.org for more information.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Thursday, March 25 – Taanis Bechoros
Limited Minyanim will take place at YISE next week, advance registration and confirmation required. You are encouraged to Daven at home at the same time as a Minyan at YISE. Shacharis: Sunday 6:30 AM/7:30 AM/8:45 AM; Monday through Friday 6:15 AM/7:00 AM/8:45 AM. Mincha/Maariv: Sunday – Thursday: 7:15 PM.
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 5:50 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 6:18 AM, Latest Netz: 7:10 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 10:06 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:47 PM, Earliest Shkia: 7:21 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 8:08 PM
March 26 – 29, 2021 – 14 – 16 Nissan 5781
Parshas Tzav/Shabbos Hagadol/Pesach
Light Candles Friday: 7:08
Havdalah Monday: 8:10
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, March 24 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com Website: www.yise.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday – Closed
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Simi Franco – Office Manager