Parshas Vayigash – January 3 – 4, 2020
Download the January 3 – 4, 2020 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
January 3 – 4, 2020 – 7 Teves 5780 – Parshas Vayigash
Light Candles by 4:39 – Havdalah 5:43
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387
* Judd Lifschitz, Rabbi Amram Hes, and all of the members of our Shul's Daf Yomi group, some of them finishing Shas for the third time, along with all those in Klal Yisroel, in our community and around the World, upon their completion of Shas. Your learning is both a great merit and an inspiration for our entire community. For anyone considering the next cycle, the Kemp Mill Daf Yomi Shiur will start Berachos one hour before Mincha this Shabbos in the Boys Yeshiva. See details in the Community Programs & Listings.
* Howard & Rosanne Benn on the marriage of their granddaughter, Yocheved, daughter of Miriam (Michelle) & Rabbi Dovid Lipman of Beitar Illit, Israel, to Ellie Teller, son of Adel & Rabbi Hanoch Teller of Jerusalem, Israel.
* Sheila Gaisin on the occasion of her son Shlomo's Aufruf and upcoming marriage to Chanalee Elhyani of Monsey, NY. Mazal Tov to all of Shlomo's siblings, Miriam & Rabbi Elchanan Adler, Meredith & Rabbi Tal Benschar, Kelly & Arthur, Deborah & Daniel, Jeremy, Shera & Reuven, and all of the nieces and nephews, as well as to Aunt Gail & Uncle Avi Glicksman and the entire extended Gaisin family. Welcome to Mr. Shmuel Elhyani, father of the Kallah, as well as to other members of the extended Elhyani family, who are spending this Shabbos in Kemp Mill in honor of Shlomo's Aufruf.
* Sahra & Yale Ginsburg on the birth of a grandson, Meir Gershon Ginsburg, born to parents Devora & Elazar Ginsburg of Washington Heights, NY. Mazal Tov to great-grandmothers Faith Ginsburg and Rochelle Dimont, great-uncle Raphael Ginsburg, and to the extended Ginsburg and Dimont families.
Shab b os Schedule
* Light Candles by 4:39
Ashkenazi: 4:40 Sephardi: 4:35 Nusach Sefard: 4:40
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:35 Sephardi: 4:20 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
* Shabbos ends: 5:43
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi – Israel Barda and Asher Weinberg
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Mrs. Sheila Gaisin in honor of the Aufruf of her son Shlomo.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 3:50 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Elchanan Adler – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by Classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, in the Large Social Hall. Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM, in the Small Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah,
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An in-depth analysis
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver in the Small Social Hal. For more information please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: email@example.com or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Small Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM, in the Social Hall
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women. Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume January 14.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, in the Social Hall at 7:50 PM
The End (of the Year) is Near
End of the calendar year statements have been emailed and mailed. If you have not received yours please contact the office, email@example.com or call Simi Franco 301-593-4465×403.
Fast of Asara B'Teves
Tuesday, January 7
Fast Begins: 6:02
Shacharis: Ashkenazi: 6:10, 6:30, 7:35, 8:30 Sephardi: 7:15
Mincha: Ashkenazi: 12:45, 4:25 Sephardi: 4:30
Maariv: 5:20, 7:30
Fast Ends: 5:46
YISE Programs and Listings
Tefillin Found – Two pairs of Tefillin have been found at the University Blvd. Shul building. If you think they are yours, please contact Josh Seidemann at firstname.lastname@example.org
Dor l'Dor – Come join Dor l'Dor: the Family Chevrusah-style Learning in a fun environment, this Motzei Shabbos, January 4, 7:15 PM in the YISE Social Hall. This Dor l'Dor is sponsored by Ephraim and Bela Unell. Delicious Pizza! Interactive Discussions! Raffle of Exciting Prizes! To sponsor this program, contact Michael Shimoff at email@example.com
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, January 6, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. West in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517.
Ruach Minyan – Next Friday, January 10, 4:50 PM in the Large Social Hall. There will be a special children's story telling program. Be there on time so we have a Minyan, especially for those who are saying Kaddish. Bring your family and invite your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic! For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, January 15, 12 Noon, Social Hall. Dr. Alan Breitler, "Great Scientists Series"
GWCK Shabbaton – Save the date! Parshas Beshalach, February 7 – 8 at YISE. An Inspirational Shabbos Connecting through Torah, Tefillah, and Song! See flyer for details.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for Groups: 2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth rooms behind the balcony. 1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Tot Shabbat – with Suri Kinzbrunner 10:30 AM – 11:00 AM in the toddler room for ages 2 and under.
Shomrai Preschool Family Shabbat Luncheon – Join us for a delicious Shabbat lunch on January 11th (catered by O'Fishel)! Come meet and spend time with former, current and prospective preschool families and staff and enjoy programming by the preschool! RSVP by emailing email@example.com or at go to www.yise.org/lunch Sponsorships available! See flyer for details. Reservation deadline is Sunday, January 5.
Community Programs & Listings
Tzurba M'Rabanan – text-based Halacha Sefer learning group meets every Shabbos. Men's group at 3:00 PM at the home of Moshe & Rose Litwack, 11302 Monticello Ave. Women's group Oneg at 4:00 PM, class at 4:15 PM, at the home of Josh & Mickie Breitstein, 1215 North Belgrade Road. Each class is independent – drop-ins welcome.
Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, January 4, 3:00 PM at 1121 University Blvd. West Apt. 516.
Mesibat Preyda (Farewell Party) for Ariella Gordon, who is leaving for Seminary in Israel. Hosted by Moshe and Rose Litwack in their home 11302 Monticello Ave, Sunday night, January 5, at 7:30 PM.
Daf Yomi Shiur -Following the inspirational Siyum Hashas at Metlife Stadium, the Kemp Mill Daf Yomi Shiur will start the new cycle of the 14th International Daf Yomi this coming Shabbos, The Shiur will take place this Shabbos in the Boys Yeshiva at 3:35 PM, one hour before YISE Mincha, when we will begin the Daf Yomi cycle again with Maseches Berachos. This change in our schedule is being done to allow/encourage everyone to join together in starting at the beginning. Regular schedule in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Post High School Girls Shiur – Tuesday night, January 7, 8:30 PM at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Road. This week the Shiur will be given by Mrs. Ginsberg.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters Winter Open House – Wednesday, January 8, 7:45 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. Bring a friend! See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Light refreshments (dairy/pareve). Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Yeshiva of Greater Washington Tiferes Gedaliah 56th Annual Banquet – Honoring Rabbi Zev Katz, Kesser Torah Award, and Mr. Merrill Kramer, Community Leadership Award. Sunday, January 12, 5:00 PM at The Hotel at the University of Maryland. For more information, contact Donna Goldman 240-494-1552 or email@example.com or go to www.ygwevents.com to RSVP and/or to place your Journal Ad. Check out our video trailer and make your reservations now!
Boys Baseball – Early Registration is now open! This spring Ko-ach Sports is back for another great season of Boys Spring Sunday Baseball for 1st – 5th grade. Sign up before January 1 to reserve your spot and save on registration fees! For more information, go to www.Ko-achSports.com
Capital Kosher Pantry – A bowl of hot soup is comforting this time of year…but Capital Kosher Pantry patrons need the essentials to get there. Donations of soup in all forms (consommé, packets, mixes, cartons, cans) are most welcome, along with "extras" such as barley, lentils and crackers. Other foods are also very welcome. Please place your donations in Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry boxes in many area Shuls and schools, Shalom Kosher, Moti's Market or at the Yad Yehuda House, 1910 University Blvd West. Or, you can order online at yadyehuda.org/pantry and have items shipped directly to the Pantry. Thank you!
Yad Yehuda's Clothing Exchange is a free clothing store for new or gently-used modest, up-to-date, clothing. We stock men's, women's, children's and infants' clothes and winter coats. We currently have an overabundance of beautiful clothing and are opening our doors to the general Jewish community. Please drop in to see our selection this Sunday, January 5, 9:30 AM – 10:30 AM. The Clothing Exchange is located at Yad Yehuda House, 1910 University Boulevard West, Silver Spring, MD 20902. There is no charge for items in The Clothing Exchange.
Partners in Tefillah matches people with others in need of similar assistance from Hashem. The feedback we have received so far has been amazing. You, too, can Daven for someone else in the community and have them daven for you. May Hashem answer all your prayers. Please visit www.yadyehuda.org/partners-in-tefillah to learn more and to sign up.
Kollel Dirshu of Silver Spring is studying Maseches Gittin at the YGW. Daily morning shiur given by Rabbi Eli Reingold at 5:45 AM and evening shiur by Ranon Cortell and Pinchas Werner at 9:00 PM. Chavrusah are also available during these learning times. For more information and to join our learning program please contact Hirsh Komarow (301) 681-1646; firstname.lastname@example.org
Dirshu Mishnah Brurah – Learn Chelek Daled with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Learn the Halachos of Eruvin and Techumin. Finish the Chelek in eleven months! Monday through Thursday at YISE after Maariv. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 12:30 PM – 1:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday January 5 Monday January 6 Tuesday, Jan. 7 – Asarah B'Teves Wednesday January 8 Thursday January 9 Friday January 10
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:30, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 4:45 4:45/ 7:30 12:45, 4:25/5:20, 7:30 4:45 / 7:30 4:45 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:40 4:40 4:30 4:40 4:40
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:30 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:50 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:47 PM
January 10 – 11, 2020 – 14 Teves 5780
Light Candles: Friday by 4:46 – Havdalah: 5:49
* Light Candles by 4:46
Ashkenazi: 4:50 Sephardi: 4:45 Nusach Sefard: 4:50
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:45 Sephardi: 4:25 Nusach Sefard: 4:45
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:49
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 4 Dor L'Dor, 7:15 PM
Friday, January 10 Ruach Minyan, 4:50 PM, Large Social Hall
Shabbos, January 11 Family Luncheon, 1:00 PM
Wednesday, January 15 Senior Lunch, 12 Noon
Shabbos, February 7 – 8 GWCK Shabbaton
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, January 8 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday: 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager