Parshas Vayigash – December 25 – 26, 2020
Download the Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Included in the PDF are the Israel Report, Likutei Torah, Hamaayan and GWCK Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
December 25 – 26, 2020 – 11 Teves 5781 – Parshas Vayigash
Light Candles by 4:33 – Havdalah 5:37
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Melanie & Sandy Karlin in commemoration of their grandmothers' Yahrtzeits: Melanie's grandmother, Bessie Choina, Batya Golda bas Ben Tzion (11 Teves) and Sandy's grandmother, Lena Karlin, Elka Leah bas Moshe Tzvi (13 Teves).
* Susan & Rabbi Saul Koss and Frieda Bart on the engagement of their granddaughter, Shoshana Bart, to Shlomo Gallor, both of Dallas. Parents are Rivka & Rabbi Evan Bart of Richmond. Mazal Tov as well to Uncle Jonathan.
* Eliana & Merric Srour on the birth of their son, Nathan (Nissim) David Srour. Mazal Tov to the grandparents, Nino & Joyce Dworsky-Srour, Ingrid & David Edery and to all the aunts and uncles: Brenah & Avi Siegel, Malka & Gabi Hasson, and Josh Edery.
Limited Minyanim are now taking place at YISE under Montgomery County's Phase 2 guidelines. All Minyanim require advance registration and confirmation. If you are interested in attending Minyanim and have not already registered, please go to https://www.yise.org/minyan If you are registered for a Minyan and are unable to attend at that time, please do not go to a different Minyan. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* Light Candles by 4:33
* Mincha: 12:45, 4:25, 4:20 (Sephardi)
If you Daven Kabbalos Shabbos prior to Shkia (4:51 PM), it is preferable to Daven Mincha prior to Plag (3:52 PM).
Kiddush should not be said before the end of the Fast of Asara B'Teves at 5:36 PM.
* Shacharis: 7:20, 9:00, 9:30, 8:30 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 2:00, 3:30, 3:50 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 5:37
* Outdoor Minyan – If you are interested in a Shabbos morning outdoor Minyan without a tent, subject to weather conditions, please email Ari Elias-Bachrach at email@example.com
* Advance registration for Minyanim is required and space is limited. Go to https://www.yise.org/minyan to register. If you have changes to your original registration form, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with details.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
YISE Youth Announcements
Dor L'Dor – Motzei Shabbos, January 9, 7:15 PM. Parsha, pizza, prizes and more – but this year virtual! Register by Friday, January 8 at https://yise.org/dorldor If you have any questions or would like to sponsor, please contact Michael Shimoff at email@example.com See flyer for details.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and updated times, go to:
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday through Friday 8:30 AM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now studying Sefer Yehoshua,Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men and Women – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, Sundays at 7:30 PM, Zoom I.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM (except as noted). For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men & Women – Zoom C (except as noted):
* Mondays: (for men only) Rabbi H. Shaps, On the Same Page Gemara, Zoom B.
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Grossman – Parshas Hashavua, 9:00 PM
* For Women – Zoom D:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Bereishis in-Depth
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Hillel Shaps. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, Zoom E.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, ¡§A Second Look-Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", Zoom H.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM, Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 349 754 2180, password GWCK
Zoom C: ID: 746 455 2195, password GWCK
Zoom D: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
Zoom E: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom F: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom I: ID: 269 840 3648, password online Pearls, phone 621690
YISE Programs and Listings
Welcome new members voted in this week at the latest board meeting: Esther & Rabbi Shmuel Leigh.
Grocery Drive for Holy Cross Hospital – YISE is happy to join with the other Shuls in the area in providing much-needed food for Holy Cross Hospital employees in need, and will be making its contributions in the month of January. See the attached flyer or go to https://wp.yise.org/grocery for details on donating through PayPal, or directly with non-perishable items. It is important that we support those hospital employees in their time of need, when they are the ones who often provide for us in our times of need.
Rebuilding Our Walls: Chanukah, Asara B'Teves, and Protecting Our Inner Sanctity – A Shiur for Women given by Rebbetzin Atara Rosenbaum. Recording is available at https://wp.yise.org/rebuilding
Ask The Rabbi! Come join our new virtual, interactive monthly program featuring different Halachos of Shabbos! Recording of the first Shiur, "Warming up food on Shabbos," is available at www.yise.org/ask-the-rabbi For more information, contact Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517.
Come Join Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class – now on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee: Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, January 4, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Camp Shomrai is back for another fun-filled summer with programming for children in preschool through ninth grade! Camp runs from July 5th through August 13th. For more information or to register online, visit our website at https://campshomrai.org
UPDATE: Learning to live with COVID-19 – Motzei Shabbos, January 23, 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM on Zoom – Meeting ID: 878 2795 1873, password 699427. Organized by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and YISE. See flyer for details.
Go Social! Want to reconnect with Shul friends you lost touch with these past COVID-19 months? We're missing our Shul buddies as well! YISE's Social Committee wants your energy to help lead new (Zoom interactive, of course) programs. Sahra Ginsburg email@example.com Sharon Shimoff firstname.lastname@example.org and Max Rudmann email@example.com are waiting to hear from you.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax-deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Our current limited ability to Daven with a Minyan and to say Kaddish is difficult and a challenge. However, sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Sunday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Chumash Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The Pre-Shabbos Drasha video is available for sponsorship at $54.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha and Halacha Shiur
* Judy & David Marwick in memory of Morris Altman, a long-time friend of the Spector family, whose Yahrzeit was 7 Teves.
* Bobbi & Jules Meisler to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Bobbi's uncle, Morris Altman, Moshe ben Mordechai, Z"L.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Mussar Shiur
* Diana & Dr. Leonard Ruchelman in honor of our great-grandson's Bar Mitzvah, Shmuel Tzvi Prero, son of Rabbi Eliyahu Prero and Adina Shaps Prero.
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* Esther & David Hornestay on the occasion of the 50th Yahrzeit of David's father, Abraham Hornestay, Avraham Aryeh ben Chayim Shlomo HaKohen, A"H.
* David Jaray for a Refuah Sheleima for Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend the Shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Esther & David Hornestay on the occasion of the 50th Yahrzeit of David's father, Abraham Hornestay, Avraham Aryeh ben Chayim Shlomo HaKohen, A"H.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Erev Shabbos Parsha Drasha
* Sponsored anonymously in honor and in gratitude to all of our dedicated Gabbaim.
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to email@example.com: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
* Barbara Price and family wish a Happy Healthy Birthday to Simi Franco (Tuesday, December 29)
Community Programs & Listings
The Silent Struggle: Increasing Our Awareness of and Sensitivity to Infertility, Pregnancy Loss and Mikvah – Tuesday, January 12, 8:00 PM on Zoom, for women only. A panel discussion sponsored by the Robin Niman Mikvah Education Fund, a project of the Mikvah Emunah Society. Speakers include Aimee Baron, MD, Rebbetzin Elisheva Levitt, Rebbetzin Rachie Reingold, and moderator Karen Wasserstein, PsyD.
Franco Foundation End-of-year Appeal – COVID-19 has increased financial insecurity by families and individuals in our community. Since it was launched 23 years ago, the Franco Foundation has been helping, in communities across the Greater Washington region, hundreds of individuals and families in very tight circumstances, unemployed, facing eviction, or otherwise unable to make ends meet. 100 percent of your donation goes to those in need. Please send your donations to The Franco Foundation, 613 Bromley Street, Silver Spring, MD 20902 or use PayPal to firstname.lastname@example.org
Don't Forget the Eruv! Help keep the Eruv up in the October 2020 – September 2021 operating year. Donations pay for weekly inspection and repairs, as well as for longer-term maintenance and improvements. The requested donation is $54 per household, but smaller and larger amounts are gratefully accepted. SSEA is a 501(c)(3) organization, and contributions are tax deductible to the extent permitted by law. To donate, use the SSEA "Donate" button at https://wp.yise.org/community-resources/eruv-info or mail a check to SSEA and mail it to 707 Lamberton Drive, Silver Spring, MD 20902. Questions? Email SilverSpringEruv@gmail.com On behalf of the entire community, thank you!
Mikvah Emunah Society – Your membership support of the Mikvah Emunah Society is more important than ever to maintain our important work. User fees alone do not cover the cost of running the beautiful Wallerstein Mikvah. Your membership contribution of $360, or just $30 a month, ensures that we have funds to keep a safe environment for women to feel secure, especially during the pandemic, hire and train knowledgeable and kind staff members, maintain our state-of-the-art facilities and equipment, provide a clean and welcoming environment for all and run educational programs. The $360 membership level is what MES has determined best meets our financial requirements, but all donations are appreciated. Please respond today by sending a check to Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington, P.O. Box 1714, Silver Spring, MD 20915, or donate online at https://www.mikvahemunah.com/membership.html
Yad Yehuda – Unfortunately, many individuals and families across the Greater Washington Jewish community are facing the twin challenges of financial and food insecurity. The scope of this need has grown exponentially during the current COVID-19 crisis. We receive new requests for assistance each week. With the help of Hashem, Yad Yehuda answers these requests through our Emergency Financial Assistance and Tomchei Shabbos Programs and through The Capital Kosher Pantry.Please consider making an additional year-end contribution, by visiting www.yadyehuda.org/donate
The Yad Yehuda Clothing Exchange will be open to all members of the community this Sunday, December 27, 10:00 AM – 12 Noon. We have a lot of coats for all sizes! This is your opportunity to shop, at no cost, for beautiful, modest clothing in our well-equipped showroom. Shoppers must be in good health, not have been in contact with someone who tested positive for Covid, wear masks and maintain social distancing. As we cannot accommodate walk-ins at this time, please schedule an appointment at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fhBnGaaLIgwaEUT4rDFUwdVKGz1_U9CeOYDf_A10iY/edit For questions or to schedule an appointment on another day: email@example.com
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, December 30, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Penetrating Thoughts and Practical Perspectives – Thoughts on life, Torah and Middos. Based on Michtav M'Eliyahu, from Rav Eliyahu Dessler, Z"L. Mondays, 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher. Zoom – Meeting ID: 736 4190 7086, Passcode: torah. Presented by YGW Kollel Zichron Amram. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Journey to Virtue: Self-Development through Jewish Study – Wednesdays, 8:00 PM on Zoom. Discover the great wisdom of the Jewish tradition to help you reach your full potential, enhance your relationships, and live life with greater meaning! Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. The journey continues. Join any time! No cost. Zoom info and registration at linksgw.org/classes
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM. Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Kemp Mill Village is providing friendly phone calls and limited deliveries during the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer. See kempmillvillage.org for more information.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Friday, January 1 – New Year's Day
Limited Minyanim will take place at YISE next week, advance registration and confirmation required. You are encouraged to Daven at home at the same time as a Minyan at YISE.
Shacharis: Sunday/Friday 6:30 AM/7:30 AM/8:45 AM; Monday through Thursday 6:30 AM/7:00 AM/8:45 AM. Mincha/Maariv: Sunday – Thursday: 4:45 PM.
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 6:01 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 6:30 AM, Latest Netz: 7:28 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:47 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:43 PM, Earliest Shkia: 4:52 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 5:42 PM
January 1 – 2, 2021 – 18 Teves 5781
Light Candles: 4:38
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, December 30 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com Website: www.yise.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday – Closed
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Simi Franco – Office Manager