Included in the PDF are the Israel Report, Likutei Torah, Hamaayan and GWCK Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
November 27 – 28, 2020 – 12 Kislev 5781 – Parshas Vayeitze
Light Candles by 4:29 – Havdalah 5:31
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Bette Ellen Weigert, the Krakow family, Wendy Penn and Bernice Cohen in memory of their beloved mother and grandmother, Marion Krakow, Miriam bat Ben Tzion, Z"L, on the occasion of her 6th Yahrzeit.
* Jacqueline & Rabbi Haim Arzouan on the birth of a granddaughter. Parents are Shoshana & Joshua Suchoff.
* Estaire Schachter on the passing of her mother, Marilyn Burstyn.
* Miriam Lisbon on the passing of her husband, Sheldon Lisbon.
* Dr. Caroline Namrow on the passing of her mother, Lesley Waldenberg. The funeral took place on Monday. Caroline may be reached during Shiva at firstname.lastname@example.org or 240-687-0572. For phone calls please bear in mind the time difference (the UK is 5 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time).
Limited Minyanim are now taking place at YISE under Montgomery County's Phase 2 guidelines. All Minyanim require advance registration and confirmation. If you are interested in attending Minyanim and have not already registered, please go to https://www.yise.org/minyan If you are registered for a Minyan and are unable to attend at that time, please do not go to a different Minyan. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com
* Light Candles by 4:29
* Mincha: 4:35, 4:30 (Sephardi)
If you Daven Kabbalos Shabbos prior to Shkia (4:47 PM), it is preferable to Daven Mincha prior to Plag (3:46 PM).
* Shacharis: 7:00, 9:00, 9:30, 8:30 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 2:00, 3:30, 3:50 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 5:31
YISE Youth Announcements
Dor L'Dor – Motzei Shabbos, December 5, 7:00 PM. Parasha, pizza, prizes and more – but this year virtual! This Dor L'Dor is sponsored in honor of Talia Saks' Bas Mitzvah with gratitude to her mom Elise for all of her hard work on the Shul's youth committee. Mazal Tov Talia and don't forget to register at https://yise.org/dorldor by Friday, December 4, 10:00 AM. If you have any questions or would like to sponsor, please contact Michael Shimoff at firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
YISE Youth Presents Dizzy the Draidel – A Chanukah Story – A puppet show performed by Morah Debby and Friends. Sunday, November 29, 3:30 pm on Zoom A. For kids ages 2-7. See flyer for details.
You'll Like it a Latke! – December 6, 12 Noon. Latke making in your own kitchen, together on Zoom A. See flyer for details.
Youth Database Survey – Help the YISE Youth Committee serve you better by helping to make our youth membership listings as up to date as possible. If you are a YISE member with children, ages 0-17, please fill out the SHORT Google Form at https://wp.yise.org/youthsurvey All submissions will be entered into a raffle for a $50 gift certificate, courtesy of Ben Yehuda Pizza. Don't miss out! The deadline is Monday, November 30th. Questions? Email email@example.com
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and updated times, go to:
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday through Friday 8:30 AM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now studying Sefer Yehoshua,Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men and Women – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, will resume on Chanukah.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM (except as noted). For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men & Women – Zoom C (except as noted):
* Mondays: (for men only) Rabbi H. Shaps, On the Same Page Gemara, Zoom B.
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Grossman – Parshas Hashavua, 9:00 PM
* For Women – Zoom D:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Bereishis in-Depth
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Hillel Shaps. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, Zoom E.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, ¡§A Second Look-Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", Zoom H.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM, Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 349 754 2180, password GWCK
Zoom C: ID: 746 455 2195, password GWCK
Zoom D: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
Zoom E: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom F: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
YISE Programs and Listings
Seeing Beyond the Horizon – Shiur by Rebbetzin Atara Rosenbaum, is now available at wp.yise.org/seeing-beyond-the-horizon
Understanding Vaccines: The Process and the Promise – presentation organized by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, is now available at wp.yise.org/vaccine
Tribute to the Silvers – They came, they sowed, they helped build and grow our community. Then, they were called away to do the same elsewhere. They left. And now, we appreciate their contributions even more. Our Shul was unable to properly bid the Silvers farewell before their departure around the Yomim Noraim. We would like to create a gratitude book to thank them for what they helped us accomplish in the seven years they lived here.
The tribute will embrace the diverse groups and minyanim the Silvers served. Please join us in this effort, whether or not you have expressed your appreciation and good wishes, individually or as part of a separate minyan or group. This book will include short notes of appreciation to Rabbi Binyamin and/or Estee Silver.
You can include fond recollections, testimonials, or expressions of gratitude and appreciation for their part in life milestones, insights about Torah, motivating, or guiding you through a difficult time. Please keep your remarks short, no more than 120 words. We have extended the due date to November 29 for submitting your remarks for Shomrai's tribute, so we can have it delivered during Chanukah. Please send to TributetoSilvers@YISE.org Thank you.
Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class – now on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee: Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, December 7, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Family Trivia Night – Fun for all ages! Sunday, December 13, 8:00 PM. Register at www.yise.org/trivia to play and to choose a Chanukah appetizer platter to enjoy while you play for first, second and third prizes! See flyer for details.
Shred Support, a new shredding service co-founded by Uriel Levitt and Jacob Werbin, will be donating 10% of all profits to YISE from orders dropped off in November. Jacob & Uriel have over 5 years of office work experience and have a track record of reliability & exceptional work ethic. Shred Support adheres to the highest caliber of confidentiality. Learn more about Shred Support or complete an order form today at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YbP_kVC1s01URQKDIQ4mR2yH0z6qsN2Nh4_pR9bvU_M or email email@example.com
Go Social! Want to reconnect with shul friends you lost touch with these past COVID-19 months? We're missing our Shul buddies as well! YISE's Social Committee wants your energy to help lead new (Zoom interactive, of course) programs. Sahra Ginsburg firstname.lastname@example.org Sharon Shimoff email@example.com and Max Rudmann firstname.lastname@example.org are waiting to hear from you. Our first event is the Family Trivia Night on December 13. See flyer for details.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
* Simi & Sammy Franco wish a very happy birthday to Sarah Dollman, whose birthday was on Thanksgiving Day.
* Simi & Sammy Franco wish a very happy birthday to Dr. Ray White, whose birthday was on Thanksgiving Day.
* Simi & Sammy Franco wish Art Boyars a very happy birthday next Monday.
* Simi & Sammy Franco wish Sharon & Michael Shimoff a very happy anniversary next week.
* The Price family wishes a happy 48th anniversary to Sarah & David Maslow
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Our current limited ability to Daven with a Minyan and to say Kaddish is difficult and a challenge. However, sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Sunday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Chumash Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The Pre-Shabbos Drasha video is available for sponsorship at $54.
Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha and Halacha Shiur
* Wakschlag Family to commemorate the 2nd Yahrzeit of our beloved mother and grandmother, Mrs. Sheva Wakschlag, A"H.
* Bette Ellen Weigert, the Krakow Family, Wendy Penn and Bernice Cohen in memory of their devoted mother and grandmother, Marion Krakow, Miriam bat Ben Tzion, on the occasion of her 6th Yahrzeit.
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* Margie & Michael Hourwitz to commemorate the 10th Yahrzeit of Michael's father, Avraham Mordechai ben Yitzchak HaLevi, the 1st Yahrzeit of Nathan S. Franco, Nissim ben Rachel v'Shmuel, in honor of Refuah Sheleima to Rabbi Hyatt, and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and the Talmidim of Rabbi Hyatt's Shiur.
* David Jaray for a Refuah Sheleima for Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend the Shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Chava and Howard Kern to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Howard's mother, Mrs. Deborah Kern, Rosse Devorah bas Mordechai, Z"L.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Erev Shabbos Parsha Drasha
* Debby & Rabbi Barry Greengart in memory of Rabbi Hyman R. Friedman, Harav Chaim Rephael ben Yom Tov Lipman, Z"L, Debby Greengart's and Shaine Spolter's father, whose Yahrzeit is 9 Kislev, and Seymour Spolter, Harav Simcha ben Yitzchak, Shaine Spolter's husband, whose Yahrzeit is 15 Kislev.
* Marsha & Yitz Kasdan L'zecher Nishmas Yitz's father R' Shimshon Dov b' Menachem Mann HaKohen, Z"L, whose Yahrzeit is this coming Tuesday, the 15th day of Kislev.
* Ellen & Larry Korb to commemorate the upcoming Yahrzeit of Larry's mother, Minnie Korb, Minah Shifrah bas Yisroel, Z"L.
* Outdoor Minyan – If you are interested in an outdoor Minyan without a tent, subject to weather conditions, please email Ari Elias-Bachrach at email@example.com
* Advance registration for Minyanim is required and space is limited. Go to https://www.yise.org/minyan to register. If you have changes to your original registration form, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with details.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Community Programs & Listings
Chanukah Sparks of Inspiration – Short videos for each day of Chanukah from the Vaad Harabanim of Greater Washington. See flyer for details. Dear Friends of Arlene Groner – Mark your calendars – we will have a Zoom good-bye party for our dear friend Arlene on Tuesday, December 1, from 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM. Feel free to “drop in" any time during that hour. If you wish, prepare a one-minute remark to share live. The link to join is: https://us04web.zoom.us/j/76495565684?pwd=ZGYwZFZtU1Bna2U4bWhvNmhnWjVxUT09 If you have any questions, reach out to either one of us – Linda Zurndorfer: 240-355-7600 or Chayie Chinn: 240-678-2628.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, December 2, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Still Waters Run Deep: A Dive into the Meaning and Challenges of Mikvah – with dynamic speaker Mrs. Debbie Greenblatt, Tuesday, December 8, 8:30 PM on Zoom. Join the women of the Greater Washington area for a moving and educational evening, sponsored by the Robin Niman Mikvah Education Fund, established in memory of Robin Niman, A"H, and by My Gift of Mikvah. Zoom Meeting ID: 815 3320 5951. Passcode: 131785, direct link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81533205951?pwd=Rnd6T0xHYVJwOXF0Zmk3dElBdnZRZz09 Call in number: 301-715-8592.
Chaiyanu Chanukah Fundraiser – In honor of Chanukah, I decided to create a fundraiser giving 15 doughnuts for every $15 donated through the link below. All profits will be donated to this incredible organization helping support kids suffering from cancer and their families. Additionally, all the doughnuts you sponsor will be delivered to sick patients spending the holidays in the hospital and other treatments! Please consider donating and sharing the link with friends and family! Emanuelle Hutman (Berman 2020) https://teamlifelineisrael.rallybound.org/Emanuelle
Penetrating Thoughts and Practical Perspectives – Thoughts on life, Torah and Middos. Based on Michtav M'Eliyahu, from Rav Eliyahu Dessler, Z"L. Mondays, 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher. Zoom – Meeting ID: 736 4190 7086, Passcode: TORAH. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Journey to Virtue: Self-Development through Jewish Study – Wednesdays, 8:00 PM on Zoom. Discover the great wisdom of the Jewish tradition to help you reach your full potential, enhance your relationships, and live life with greater meaning! Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. The journey continues. Join any time! No cost. Zoom info and registration at linksgw.org/classes
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click “Sign Up."
Kemp Mill Village is providing friendly phone calls and limited deliveries during the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer. See kempmillvillage.org for more information.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Limited Minyanim will take place at YISE next week, advance registration and confirmation required. You are encouraged to Daven at home at the same time as a Minyan at YISE. Shacharis: Sunday 6:30 AM/7:30 AM/8:45 AM;
Monday through Friday 6:10 AM/7:00 AM/8:45 AM. Mincha/Maariv: Sunday – Thursday: 4:35 PM.
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 6:15 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:31 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:29 PM
December 4 – 5, 2020 – 19 Kislev 5781
Light Candles: 4:27
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, December 2 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.yise.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday – 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Simi Franco – Office Manager