Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
November 12 – 13, 2021 – 9 Kislev 5782 – Vayeitze
Light Candles by 4:38 – Havdalah 5:38
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by the Edeson & Stern Families to commemorate the Yahrzeits of their grandfathers & Esther Edeson's father-in-law, Joseph N. Edeson, Yosef Nosson Ben Moshe Sholom, A"H, on the 1st of Kislev & Esther's father, Nathan Salsbury, Nachum Ben Yaakov, A"H, on the 10th of Kislev
and by Arleeta & Ivan Lerner in honor of the Righteous Brothers, Manasseh & Seth Katz, for all that they do – the hidden and the revealed.
* Florence Binstock Avigan on the engagement of her granddaughter, Sara Barzel, to Mordechai Abitbul. Mazal Tov also to Aunt & Uncle Karen and Howie Schulman and the whole family.
* Tzivia Bramson on the birth of a great-grandson, Aryeh, son of Henya Chaya & Tzvi Yaakov Weinstein, grandson of Renee & Mayer Weinstein.
* Leah & Yoni Bresler and Hannah & Mitch Carl on the birth of a granddaughter born to their children Elisheva & Binyamin Carl.
* Rachelli & Craig Simon on Zahava's Bat Mitzvah. Mazal Tov to grandparents Nancy & Bruce James, Maxine & Richard Simon, and all of her siblings, and extended family.
Minyan locations are listed as B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall. LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis Medrash.
* Light Candles by 4:38
* Mincha: 4:40 (B), 4:30 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen Minyan, SBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 4:35 (B), 4:30 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 5:38
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Rabbi Postelnek
* Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* 8:45 Minyan Kiddush in a Bag is sponsored by the James & Simon families in honor of Zahava Leah Simon becoming a Bat Mitzvah. Please note that some of the PopCorners snacks are dairy.
YISE Youth Announcements
Shabbos Groups will take place this Shabbos, November 13, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends, indoors. Masks required indoors for age 2+. Age 18-36 months (Mommy and me) will be located in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 2-5 years (drop off) will meet in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk over to the Yeshiva. For more information, contact Michal Merkin, YISE Youth groups coordinator, at email@example.com
Street Smarts – Self-defense and anti-bullying training for boys and girls ages 6 – 12. Sunday, November 21, 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM in the Social Hall. Bring a parent to be your sparring partner. Free slice of pizza for all kids who complete the course. Program sponsored by Ben Yehuda Pizza. See flyer for details.
Chanukah Goody Bags – Come get your YISE Youth Chanukah goody bag, filled with crafts, toys, and yummy Chanukah treats! For ages 2 – 12. Pre-registration is required: Go to www.yise.org/bags for registration form. Registration deadline is Monday, November 22. Pick up from YISE on Sunday, November 28, from 2:00pm to 4:00pm. Feel free to email questions to LKor@yise.org
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday 9:30 AM, Zoom A, will not take place on Monday, November 15.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15- minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday 7:30 PM, Zoom A, will not take place on Sunday, November 14.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Hillel Shaps – Unraveling the Navi: Melachim Aleph
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more information, contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara – in person (Social Hall) and on Zoom F.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom D.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom H.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys, is on break until further notice.
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Sefer Bereishis, is on break until further notice.
* SCP (Semichat Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM. A new semester began on October 19. Join the fastest growing Halacha learning program in the world! Now back in person at YISE. Register at gwckollel.org/scp
* Rabbi Yehoushua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:20 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Monday – Parasha, Tuesday – Halachos, 8:45 AM, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", Zoom E.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Kama 7th Perek Merubah. Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM, Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom E: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom F: ID: 349 754 2180, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
* The YISE Board has mandated that everyone 16 and older who is medically eligible for an FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 in order to enter the Shul building.
* Masks are required for those who are not fully vaccinated, including children age 2 – 15.
* There are no social distancing requirements in the YISE building. There are no in-person Kiddushes at this time.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
YISE Programs and Listings
Office Note – Please do not put private trash in the YISE recycling or trash Dumpsters.
The Last Selection: A Child's Journey Through the Holocaust with Mrs. Golda Kalib – Recording available at wp.yise.org/kristallnacht-commemoration
The Laws and Lessons of Shemitta – Sunday, November 14 at 8:15 PM on Zoom A. Join us in learning about Shemitta in the last of a 4-part series with Rabbi Rosenbaum and Rabbi Postelnek, Recordings of the first three Shiurim are available at https://wp.yise.org/shemitta See flyer for details.
Ask the Rabbi: Chanukah – Tuesday, November 23, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM on Zoom A. Send in your questions about Chanukah to AskTheRabbi@yise.org by Sunday, November 21. For more information and to submit questions by phone or anonymously, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com See flyer for details.
To Kindle a Soul – Join us for a panel discussion about inspiration and growth with some of our community's most effective mentors! Monday night, November 29 (2nd night of Chanukah), 8:00 PM on Zoom A. See flyer for details.
Come Join Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee: Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, December 6, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim and Parsha Shiur – Videos of past Shiurim are now available at https://wp.yise.org/parsha
Kiddush in a Bag! While we are not yet back to regular in-Shul Kiddushes, we are happy to now offer Kiddush in a Bag for the 8:45 and 9:15 Minyanim. To sponsor the Kiddush in a Bag, contact Simi Franco at email@example.com
Volunteers Are Needed Weekly to help assemble Kiddush in a Bag. If you can help please contact Simi Franco at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593-4465 x403.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this much-needed medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax-deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
* Bobbi & Jules Meisler wish our children Jan & Naomi Meisler a happy 25th anniversary on November 17.
* Bobbi wishes her husband, Capt. Jules M. Meisler, USPHS (ret.) congratulations with pride and joy on his "this time for real" retirement after 60+ years in the Department of Health and Human Services, 34 years of which were as a Commissioned Officer and the last lengthy time as the Chief of Records Management Staff of the Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
Please email email@example.com to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to the Shiurim sponsors for this Past Week:
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in honor of a Refuah Sheleimah to Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Shiur
* Elaine & Robert Leichter
* Arleeta & Ivan Lerner in memory of Arleeta's father, Sam Axelrod, Shmuel Ben Dovid, Z"L, 13th Yahrzeit on the 22nd of Marcheshvan.
8:45 Minyan Shabbos Drasha
* Anonymously, in memory of Rabbi Meir Shapiro, HaRav Meir Ben HaRav Yosef, A"H, the beloved principal at Arie Crown Yeshiva in Chicago for 40 years. His parents, Rabbi Dr. Joseph Shapiro, A"H, and Bluma Berman Shapiro, A"H, of Pittsburgh made the amazing sacrifice of sending their 4 children to New York at an early age because their community did not yet have a Yeshiva or day school.
* Naomi & Ori Carmel to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Naomi's father, Alvin Seidenberg, Zisa Ben Baruch, Z"L.
Community Programs & Listings
Annual 50+ Expo – A free virtual Expo for people over 50, with resources from government agencies, non-profits and area businesses, as well as dozens of useful classes, speakers and entertainment, is available 24/7 at beacon50expo.com Visit as often as you like; register to be eligible for door prizes. For more info, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Eruv Appeal 2021 – Silver Spring Eruv Association's 2021 Annual Appeal for funds to support operation of the White Oak-Northwood-Kemp Mill Eruv is happening now. Requested donation is $54 per household; larger or smaller gratefully accepted. Three ways to donate: PayPal to SilverSpringEruv@gmail.com or at www.yise.org/eruv; Venmo to @SilverSpringEruv; by check payable to SSEA, mailed to 707 Lamberton Drive, Silver Spring, MD 20902. Details and more info are in the postal appeal or can be found at www.yise.org/eruv
Please STAY HOME in support of The Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington – Supporting our non-event helps MES reach its fundraising goals, ensuring we have finances to run our community Mikvah. In lieu of an event, donors of $180 or more will receive a specially selected book. Place an ad in our online journal to show your support. The event is fake… the needs are real! RSVP at https://mikvahemunah.com/
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, November 17, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Body Image in Our Community and its Intersection with Social Media – Join KMS Yoetzet Halacha Bracha Rutner and Rachel Tuchman, LMHC, for a discussion on Zoom. Wednesday, November 17, 8:30 PM, Meeting ID: 880 6685 0909, passcode: 857442.
New to Silver Spring? Not So New? Can't Wait to Meet You at Welcome to Town! – For women, Motzei Shabbos, November 20, 8:30 PM – 9:45 PM. Panel discussion, "Our Town", featuring Rivky Schwartz, Sara Elikan and Channah Cohen. RSVP to Esther Bergman 757-386-7837 and Devorah Rivka Shafran 443-416-0850.
Learning Tanach in Memory of Avi West, Z"L – Please join a Siyum Tanach for our friend and mentor, to be completed by his Yahrzeit, August 22, 2022 (25 Av, 5782). Please sign up for as many sections as you wish, from Chumash, Neviim and Kesuvim. Share this information with others who may be interested in joining this learning. Go to http://hadranalach.com/2090 to sign up.
The Capital Closet of Yad Yehuda (formerly the Clothing Exchange) has available hours for all members of the community to shop at no cost this Sunday, November 14, from 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM, at 1910 University Blvd. West. This is an opportunity for everyone to come and shop for beautiful, Tzanua clothing in our well-equipped showroom. Everyone must be in good health and not have been in contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19. If you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Annual Coat Drive – Help Yad Yehuda assist local Jewish households by donating NEW winter coats and jackets. Men's, women's and children's coats are needed. We're accepting NEW coats and jackets ONLY (unclean or old coats will be disposed of at Yad Yehuda's expense). Coats may be purchased online and shipped directly to us, or dropped off at Yad Yehuda, 1910 University Blvd W, Silver Spring, MD 20902. For a donation receipt, email email@example.com For more information go to www.yadyehuda.org/coat-drive
Parsha Explorations with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Presented by the Greater Washington Community Kollel and Kemp Mill Synagogue, Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM at KMS and on Zoom, Meeting ID: 655 813 1022, Passcode: 365636. For men and women.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Birkat Hamazon with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
In Their Footsteps: Life Lessons From Our Patriarchs and Matriarchs – Wednesdays, 8:00 PM on Zoom F. Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. Series began October 13. Register at https://linksgw.org/classes
Navigating the Dating Experience – The Shidduch Spot of Greater Washngton presents a series of talks to enhance the dating journey, featuring Rachel Burnham, Shidduch Dating Coach for Marriage-Minded Singles. December 8 and January 5 on Zoom, Meeting ID: 776 143 4208, password 613613. Each session starts at 8:30 PM.
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact email@example.com, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more info.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 5:33 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 6:01 AM, Latest Netz: 6:57 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:21 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:24 PM, Earliest Shkia: 4:50 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 5:37 PM
November 19 – 20, 2021 – 16 Kislev 5782
* Light Candles by 4:33
* Mincha: 4:35 (B), 4:25 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 4:30 (B), 4:25 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 5:34
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, November 17 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Friday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager