Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
December 6 – 7, 2019 – 9 Kislev 5780 – Parshas Vayeitze
Light Candles by 4:27 – Havdalah 5:30
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by the Franco Family in gratitude to Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum and Rabbi Yehoshua Levy for their guidance during Shiva and to the entire community for their visits, Minyan participation, meals, contributions, cards and warmth during this difficult time.
* Florence Avigan on the birth of a great-granddaughter, born to her grandchildren, Moshe & Beila Barzel. Mazal Tov also to aunt & uncle Karen & Howie Schulman and the entire family.
* Yvette Epstein on the Bar Mitzvah of her grandson, Gavi, son of Stephanie & Dadi Greenspan of Teaneck, New Jersey. The Bar Mitzvah took place in Jerusalem at the Kotel on November 11. Mazal Tov also to his siblings Eliana, Raphi and Azi, his aunt Daniela and uncle Jonathan Epstein, and to the entire family, his aunts, uncles and cousins from the USA, Paris and Israel.
* Judith & Rabbi Marvin Goldman on the engagement of their grandson, Chaim Meir (Evan Michael) Goldman, son of Laura & Joseph Goldman of Kemp Mill, to Moriah Intrator, daughter of Deena & Marc Intrator of Woodmere, Long Island.
* Susan & Rabbi Saul Koss on the birth of a great-grandson, born to Hani & Akiva Koss of Yerushalayim. Mazal Tov to grandparents Miri & R' Reuven Koss of Netivot.
* Sarah & David Maslow of Jerusalem on the birth of a granddaughter, Bina Emunah, to their children Aleeza & Rabbi Natanel Lebowitz of Ramat Bet Shemesh.
* Lois & Sid Meyers on the Bat Mitzvah of their granddaughter, Yocheved Bracha Strauss, daughter of Jessica & Rabbi Yekusiel Strauss of Fallsburg, New York.
* Wendee & Dr. Jack Rutner on the marriage of their grandson, Jared Rutner, son of Juliet & Dr. Torin Rutner, to Atara Friedman, daughter of Ilana & Dr. Seth Friedman. Mazal Tov to all the siblings, grandparents, nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Lew Sosnowik on the engagement of his son, Daniel Sosnowik, to Vicki Rothschild of Brooklyn, New York.
* Light Candles by 4:27
Ashkenazi: 4:30 Sephardi: 4:25 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:25 Sephardi: 4:05 Nusach Sefard: 4:25
* Shabbos ends: 5:30
* 8:45 Main Minyan, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* 8:00 Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – With gratitude to Hashem, by the Talmidim of Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, for completing tractate Beitzah under the exceptional leadership of Rabbi Tuvia Grauman and the other incredible substitute Rabbeim.
* Sephardi – Tali & Alon Shvo and by Gillian & Asher Weinberg in loving memory of Gillian Weinberg's father, Barry Howard.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – by YISE in honor of all the greeters.
* 9:15 Minyan – an anonymous donor in honor of all the organizers of the 9:15 Minyan and Kiddush, and for the greeters who ensure the safety and security of the Shul.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 3:35 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Uri Silver – Shiur after Mincha
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Welcome to Michal Merkin – As the result of a thoughtful and rigorous search process, the YISE Youth Committee is very happy to announce that Mrs. Michal Merkin has been selected as the new YISE Shabbos Groups Director. Mrs. Merkin has extensive formal and informal experience working with youth of all ages. She approaches the position with enthusiasm and has many excellent and creative ideas. Mrs. Merkin will assume her full duties starting this Shabbos, Parashas Vayeitze, December 7. Please join us in extending Mrs. Merkin a very warm welcome.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth rooms behind the Balcony. 1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Tot Shabbat – with Suri Kinzbrunner 10:30 AM – 11:00 AM in the toddler room for ages 2 and under.
Chanukah Carnival – Sunday, December 22, 12:30 PM – 2:30 PM. See flyer for details.
Preschool Shabbos Lunch – Save the date for our first ever Shomrai Preschool Shabbos lunch! January 11, 2020 in the YISE Social Hall. For current, former, and prospective preschool families and staff. More information coming soon! Sponsorships available.
This Shabbos we as a shul are highlighting the devotion of all of our greeters. Some of them come to shul early, some of them stay late, they all have spent time outside in unpleasant weather, and every Shabbos, week in and week out, they are making a significant effort to keep us safe, with Hashem's help. Please make sure to thank the greeters that you see this Shabbos (and every other one, too!). Please consider volunteering to be part of this very important group. If you would like to volunteer or find out more about the program please contact Ari Kanal, email@example.com or Sammy Franco, firstname.lastname@example.org
Dov Chodoff, Eddie Cohen, Sebastian Cohen, Yitzhak Cohen, Allan Franco, Sammy Franco, Simi Franco, Sahra Ginsburg, Fred Glogower, Seth Jacobson, Josh Katz, David Katzoff, Eli Landy, Carol Lazar, Tuvia Lazar, Chaim Lazarus, Moshe Litwack, Yonah Mainzer, Eva Moses, Judy Rosenthal, Stuart Rosenthal,Max Rudmann, Michael Shimoff, Avi Siegel, Joel Sklar
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by Classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, will resume December 15.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM, in the Small Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah,
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An indepth analysis
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver in the Small Social Hall. For more information please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: email@example.com or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Small Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM, in the Social Hall
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women – new topic: A 2nd Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective. Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, in the Social Hall at 7:50 PM.
YISE Programs and Listings
Dor l'Dor – Come join Dor l'Dor: the Family Chevrusah-style Learning in a fun environment, this Motzei Shabbos, December 7, 7:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. This Dor l'Dor is sponsored by an anonymous and awesome donor. Delicious Pizza! Interactive Discussions! Raffle of Exciting Prizes! To sponsor this program, contact Michael Shimoff at email@example.com
Ruach Minyan – Next Friday, December 13, in the Large Social Hall. Bring the family and invite your friends, it's going to be Gevaldic! For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Trivia Night – Motzei Shabbos, December 14, 7:30 PM in the Social Hall. See flyer for details.
Rabbi Meir Goldwicht, Scholar-in-Residence – YISE & KMS are co-hosting Rabbi Meir Goldwicht, the Joel and Maria Finkle Visiting Israeli Rosh Yeshiva at Yeshiva University, for a community Scholar-in-Residence program on Shabbos December 20 – 21. Rabbi Goldwicht will speak as follows:
* After a Friday evening community dinner at YISE – Go to www.yise.org/dinner for more details and to make reservations.
* After Hashkamah Minyan at KMS.
* After the 8:45 and 9:15 Minyanim in the YISE Belonofsky Sanctuary
* A women's Shiur at the home of Alan & Fran Broder, 11801 Clintwood Place, at 3:25 PM
* Between Mincha and Maariv at KMS
See flyers for more details.
Veterans Dining Out – Thank you to the following people who made the evening such a phenomenal success: Rear Admiral Paul Becker, our Guest Speaker, CAPT Joseph Cohn, the President of the Mess, Major Michael Rosenoff, ¡§Mr. Vice,¡¨ Saul Newman and Kemp Mill Synagogue for hosting our event, Ron Sheinson, Photographer and Alan Weiss Catering. Pictures of the night are on the Jewish War Veterans web site at http://www.kempmilljwv.com/photos/
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681- 4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT¡¨L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Purchase of Parkland Pool Parking Lot
I would like to take this opportunity to bring our membership up to date on hopes and plans for our growing congregation. Over the past few years, the YISE Board has been discussing the future space needs of our Shul. The Shomrai Preschool will benefit greatly with a new facility and B"H the needs of our growing membership and new programming exceed our available space.
To address these needs, the Board has negotiated an option to purchase a portion of the Parkland Pool parking lot. It is our vision to use this space to build a two-story building on this space to house the Preschool as well as flexible space to meet multiple programming needs.
The process to achieve these goals is a long one. Among the first steps was to obtain Montgomery County guidance on how to merge the land with our present property. We just recently received this guidance and are now working to execute the next steps.
On 11/21/2019, we had an open meeting, advertised to both the community and Shul membership as required by County regulations, as the first part of the administrative process to obtain County approval for the project and subdivision. This administrative process can take as long as a year. We have been working closely with professionals with expertise in all aspects of the engineering, structural, and legal requirements of this process.
Of course, members have been asking many questions regarding this project. I would like to address some of them with the best information we can provide at this time.
* When complete, what will happen to the University Boulevard property?
When we are ready to move forward, the property will be sold and the funds applied to the expansion project. It is impossible to predict at this point the sale price of the University Boulevard property or what percentage of the project costs these funds will cover.
* How large will the new space be and how will it be divided?
Present plans call for two stories, each approximately 15,000 sq. ft. For comparison purposes, our current social hall is approximately 4,000 is sq. ft. The first floor will house the Preschool; the second floor will offer flexible space that can be utilized for a wide variety of programs. The aim is to make this space adaptable so that it can be used for both smaller and larger programs, as the need arises.
* Will the new building be attached to our current facility?
The two structures, for a variety of reasons, must remain separate. There will be foot access between the two buildings, with a covered walkway as a future possibility.
* What about parking?
YISE will acquire a number of dedicated parking spaces and the Pool will retain a number of dedicated parking spaces. That will leave a significant number of "swing spaces." These spaces will be available for Shul use much of the time, as the Pool operates only seasonally and is closed most of the time that YISE has increased parking needs. We will still require additional parking – as we presently have – and this will be included in the planning process.
* How will traffic flow to the new space?
The plans are to enter via the current pool entrance and to exit through a new driveway into the shopping center. The flow will be one-way.
* What about the requirements for groundwater run-off, fire department access, etc.?
All of these are being addressed in the planning process and will need approval from the County before we can move forward.
* How will we pay for this and how much will it cost?
We cannot quote a firm price until the County approval process moves forward. Based upon prior experience, the County may require changes before approval that can significantly affect costs. Additionally, costs can change over time. Once a more complete plan is finalized, we will solicit bids on the project and will thus determine real costs.
The hope is that the sale of the University Boulevard property will yield a significant amount of money, which we will apply to the project. The balance will need to come from a capital fundraising campaign. Until we have moved forward with the County and have more detailed and finalized architectural plans to present, it is a bit premature to start a fundraising campaign. If you would like to assist with this future fundraising project, please contact me.
As we move forward, we will appoint a representative Committee to solicit and organize ideas and to divide the work required to transform this project into a reality. Our sincerest thanks to immediate Past President Michael Shimoff and members of the YISE Board who have been working very hard to bring this idea to fruition. Thanks also to the professional consultants who have been working on this effort, including David Freishtat, Yossi Orlansky and Stephen Crum.
With Hashem's blessing and the help of each of you, we will IY"H move forward on this exciting project to answer the needs of our growing
Community Programs & Listings
Tzurba M'Rabanan – text-based Halacha Sefer learning group meets every Shabbos. Men's group at 3:00 PM at the home of Eric & Suri Kinzbrunner, 1151 Kersey Road. Women's group Oneg at 4:00 PM, class at 4:15 PM, at the home of Josh & Mickie Breitstein, 1215 North Belgrade Road. Each class is independent – drop-ins welcome.
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, December 7, 3:00 PM at 1121 University Blvd. West Apt. 516.
The Unveiling for Jacob S. Edeson, Z"L, will take place Sunday, December 8, at 11:30 AM at Mt. Lebanon Cemetery. Everyone is welcome to attend. Men are needed for a Minyan. Please contact Esther Edeson at 301-593-1468 if you are able to attend.
Pre-Chanukah Boutique Benefiting Yad Yehuda – December 10, 2:00 PM – 9:00 PM at 411 Hermleigh Drive in Kemp Mill (Mayberg Event Space). Phenomenal vendors: Ooh La La Boutique, Wrapunzel, The Shell Shop, Elegance Refined Jewelry, Swirl, Meira Yaffa Dresses for the Family, Fancy That Hat, D'Bee Hosiery and Accessories, Jamie D. Boutique and Maya's Place. Pick up dinner while you shop: take-out soup, salad and sandwiches available from Soupergirl!
Post High School Girls Shiur – Tuesday night, December 10, 8:30 PM at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Road.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, December 11, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Ovadia Hayat at email@example.com for more information.
Ma Rabu Ma'asecha…Celebrating the Wonder of Hashem's Creations – “Maimonides and the Big Bang” – Dr. Jeremy Schnittman, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center. Torah Insights from Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky, Rosh HaYeshiva of YGW. The community is invited to join us for this thought-provoking presentation on Sunday, December 15, at 3:00 PM at the YGW Boys Campus 1216 Arcola Avenue, Silver Spring, MD 20902. For more information contact Rabbi Scott Hillman 301-962-5111 ext 1553 or firstname.lastname@example.org
GWCK Chanukah Celebration – GWCK invites the entire community to a gala Chanukah Celebration! Join us for inspiring words of Torah by Rabbi Michoel Frank, delicious hot Chanukah refreshments, live music, spirited dancing, a magical performance for the kids, and much more! Free admission. Monday, December 23, at 7:00 PM at SEHC, 10900 Lockwood Drive. Contact email@example.com with any questions.
Simply Tsfat – Live in concert at KMS, Tuesday, December 24, 8:00 PM. Tickets: adult $10, children & students $5, sponsors $100. Purchase tickets at www.kmsynagogue.org or at the door.
Camp Chaverim – Registration is OPEN for Summer 2020! Early bird discount! New referral discount program! Two Sessions: June 24 – July 19 and July 20 – August 13. Camp Divisions: Camper Division, Senior Division, Masmidim Division. For more information and to see our new Camp Video, visit our website at chaverimovernight.com Contact us at 410-925-2257 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Capital Kosher Pantry – A bowl of hot soup is comforting this time of year…but Capital Kosher Pantry patrons need the essentials to get there. Donations of soup in all forms (consommé, packets, mixes, cartons, cans) are most welcome, along with “extras” such as barley, lentils and crackers. Other foods are also very welcomed. Please place your donations in Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry boxes in many area Shuls and schools, Shalom Kosher, Moti's Market or at the Yad Yehuda House, 1910 University Blvd West. Or, you can order online at yadyehuda.org/pantry and have items shipped directly to the Pantry. Thank you!
Partners in Tefillah matches people with others in need of similar assistance from Hashem. The feedback we have received so far has been amazing. You, too, can Daven for someone else in the community and have them daven for you. May Hashem answer all your prayers. Please visit www.yadyehuda.org/partners-in-tefillah to learn more and to sign up.
Daf Yomi Shiur meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Kollel Dirshu of Silver Spring is studying Maseches Gittin at the YGW. Daily morning shiur given by Rabbi Eli Reingold at 5:45 AM and evening shiur by Ranon Cortell and Pinchas Werner at 9:00 PM. Chavrusah are also available during these learning times. For more information and to join our learning program please contact Hirsh Komarow (301) 681-1646; email@example.com
Dirshu Mishnah Brurah – Learn Chelek Daled with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Learn the Halachos of Eruvin and Techumin. Finish the Chelek in eleven months! Monday through Thursday at YISE after Maariv. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click “Sign Up.”
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 12:30 PM – 1:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday December 8 Monday December 9 Tuesday December 10 Wednesday December 11 Thursday December 12 Friday December 13
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 4:35 4:35 / 7:30 4:35 / 7:30 4:35 / 7:30 4:35 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:30 4:30 4:30 4:30 4:30
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:22 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:37 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:33 PM
December 13 – 14, 2019 – 16 Kislev 5780
Light Candles: Friday by 4:28 – Havdalah: 5:31
* Light Candles by 4:28
Ashkenazi: 4:30 Ruach: 4:30 Sephardi: 4:25 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:25 Sephardi: 4:05 Nusach Sefard: 4:25
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:31
Motzei Shabbos, Dec. 7 Dor L'Dor, 7:00 PM
Monday, December 9 The Man With the Truck, 6:00 PM – 9:30 PM
Friday, December 13 Ruach Minyan, 4:30 PM
Motzei Shabbos, Dec. 14 Trivia Night, 7:30 PM
Friday, December 20 Community Dinner, 5:30 PM (RSVP required).
Shabbos, Dec. 20 – 21 Rabbi Meir Goldwicht, Scholar-in-Residence
Sunday, December 22 Chanukah Carnival, 12:30 PM – 2:30 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, December 11 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday: 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager