Parshas Vayeishev – November 26 – 27, 2021
Download the Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
November 26 – 27, 2021 – 23 Kislev 5782 – Vayeishev/Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 4:29 – Havdalah 5:31
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Bev Morris in honor of Naomi & Jan Meisler's recent 25th wedding anniversary and by Florence & Larry Radkowsky to commemorate the Yahrzeits of their mothers, Bessie Jacobson Radkowsky, Basha Bas Shalom Dov, Z"L, on the 12th of Kislev and Esther Glattstein Kramer, Esther Bas Asher Yehuda, Z"L, on the 26th of Kislev.
* David Abrams on the birth of a great-grandson to Amanda Weiner & Adin Kanefsky of Rechovot, Israel.
* Becky & Yitzchak Langer on the birth of a baby boy. Mazal Tov to grandparents, Sue & Ray White and Anne & Tom Langer.
* Marla & Marty Teichman on the marriage of their grandson, Eliyahu Goldberger, to Sora Rochel Rubanowitz. Mazal Tov to the parents Randee & Rabbi Manny Goldberger and Kaila & Rabbi Moshe Rubanowitz.
Minyan locations are listed as B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall. LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis Medrash.
* Light Candles by 4:29
* Mincha: 4:30 (B), 4:20 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen Minyan, SBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 4:25 (B), 4:20 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 5:31
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Rabbi Postelnek
* Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Postelnek
8:45 Minyan Kiddush in a Bag is sponsored by the Halpern & Wakschlag Families to commemorate:
* The 3rd Yahrzeit of Rabbi Jacob Halpern, Z"L, 21 Marcheshvan, husband of Judith Halpern & father of Gila Wakschlag
* The 3rd Yahrzeit of Mrs. Sheva Wakschlag, A"H, 7 Kislev, mother of Rabbi Myron Wakschlag
and by Sima & Richard Soskin in honor of the marriage of Sarah & Yonah Soskin on March 15, 2020 and in honor of our twin granddaughters, Adielle Yakira and Zahara Moriya, born to Eliana & Jess Shakedy on April 14, 2020, the sixth day of Pesach. We are thrilled to finally share these Smachot with the community and our family.
YISE Youth Announcements
Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, November 27, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends, indoors. Masks required indoors for age 2+. Age 18-36 months (Mommy & me) in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 2-5 years (drop off) in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk over to the Yeshiva. For more info., contact Michal Merkin, YISE Youth groups coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Dor L'Dor – The Family Chevrusah-style Learning in a fun environment! First session will take place Motzei Shabbos, December 4, 7:15 PM in the Social Hall. See flyer for details.
Chanukah Goody Bags – We are thrilled that this program was so popular! Almost 200 kids signed up. REMINDER: Bag pickup is THIS SUNDAY, November 28, at YISE from 2-4pm.
Chanukah Extravaganza – Sunday, December 5, 10:30 AM in the Social Hall. Fun for the whole family! Email email@example.com with questions. See flyer for details.
Chanukah Crayon Melt Art – Wednesday, December 1, 7:00 PM – 8:30 PM, for girls in grades 6 – 8. YISE Social Hall. See flyer for details.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday 9:30 AM, Zoom A, will not take place on Wednesday, December 1.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday 7:30 PM, Zoom A, will not take place on Tuesday, November 30.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A, will resume on December 8.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Hillel Shaps – Unraveling the Navi: Melachim Aleph
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more information, contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara – in person (Social Hall) and on Zoom F.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom D.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom H.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys, is on break until further notice.
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Sefer Bereishis, is on break until further notice.
* SCP (Semichat Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM. A new semester began on October 19. Join the fastest growing Halacha learning program in the world! Now back in person at YISE. Register at gwckollel.org/scp
* Rabbi Yehoushua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:20 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Monday – Parasha, Tuesday – Halachos, 8:45 AM, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", Zoom E.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Kama 7th Perek Merubah. Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM, Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom E: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom F: ID: 349 754 2180, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
* The YISE Board has mandated that everyone 16 and older who is medically eligible for an FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 in order to enter the Shul building.
* Masks are required for ALL people in the YISE Arcola building, whether vaccinated or unvaccinated, except for children under the age of 2.
* There are no social distancing requirements in the YISE building. There are no in-person Kiddushes at this time.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
YISE Programs and Listings
Chanukah Paint & Sip with Talya Weinberg – Tuesday, November 30, 7:30 PM in the YISE Social Hall. Donuts, wine and more! $20 to paint, $5 if not painting. RSVP deadline extended through Motzei Shabbos, November 27. Sign up at https://www.yise.org/paint To sponsor/volunteer, please email email@example.com
Chanukah Ruach Minyan! – There will be a Ruach Minyan in honor of Chanukah in the Belonofsky Sanctuary on Friday night, December 3, the 6th night of Chanukah, led by Judah Lifschitz. Please join us!
Ashley Blaker – Let's have fun with Off-Broadway Comedian Ashley Blaker. Sunday, December 19, 8:30 PM. In-person at YISE. Sign up at www.yise.org/comedian See flyer for details.
Ask the Rabbi: Chanukah – This month's topic: Chanukah. Video available at wp.yise.org/ask-the-rabbi
To Kindle a Soul – Join us for a panel discussion about inspiration and growth with some of our community's most effective mentors! Monday night, November 29 (2nd night of Chanukah), 8:00 PM on Zoom A. See flyer for details.
Come Join Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee: Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, December 6, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Kiddush in a Bag! While we are not yet back to regular in-Shul Kiddushes, we are happy to now offer Kiddush in a Bag for the 8:45 Minyan. To sponsor the Kiddush in a Bag, contact Simi Franco at email@example.com Volunteers Are Needed Weekly to help assemble Kiddush in a Bag. If you can help please contact Simi Franco at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593-4465 x403.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this much-needed medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax-deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available. 1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
Please email email@example.com to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to the Shiurim sponsors for this Past Week:
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* Margie & Michael Hourwitz in honor of a Refuah Sheleimah to Rabbi Hyatt, in gratitude to Rabbi Grauman and in honor of all the Talmidim in the Shiur.
* David Jaray in honor of a Refuah Sheleimah to Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur
* Chanah & Joseph Hollander in loving memory of Chanah's mother, Devorah Bat Avraham. May her Neshama have an Aliyah.
8:45 Minyan Shabbos Drasha
* Halpern & Wakschlag Families to commemorate:
* The 3rd Yahrzeit of Rabbi Jacob Halpern, Z"L, 21 Marcheshvan, husband of Judith Halpern & father of Gila Wakschlag.
* The 3rd Yahrzeit of Mrs. Sheva Wakschlag, A"H, 7 Kislev, mother of Rabbi Myron Wakschlag.
* Leah Covel to thank Rabbi Rosenbaum & Simi Franco for all their help with her Aliyah this week.
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Community Programs & Listings
Condolences to Rabbi Berel Wolvovsky on the passing of his mother, Raizel Wolvovsky.
Greater Washington Community Kollel invites the entire community to a gala Chanukah Celebration on Monday, November 29, 7:00 PM at SEHC, 10900 Lockwood Drive. At 7:30 PM, Miracles & Mesirus Nefesh, Nes & Nisayon: The Science of Miracles with Rabbi Moshe Walter Rabbi, Woodside Synagogue, and BALOONINESS!!! The Wondrous Balloon Show Presented by Mr. Airhead for children. Delicious Chanukah refreshments, live music & dancing, cotton candy and more!
Women's Online Shiur with Rabbi Yehoshua Levy- Free 1-hour shiur on Zoom on the first and third Sundays of each month at 7:15 PM. Topic: Eishet Hayil, with principles from Mesilat Yesharim and weekly Sidra. In English. All levels of ability are welcome. You needn't attend every shiur but RSVPs are requested. Contact Shiur Coordinator at email@example.com for details.
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT"L, with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, December 1, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Learning Tanach in Memory of Avi West, Z"L – Please join a Siyum Tanach for our friend and mentor, to be completed by his Yahrzeit, August 22, 2022, 25 Av, 5782. Learning from Chumash has been subscribed. There are a number of sections remaining in Neviim and Kesuvim. Sign up for as many as you wish and please share this info. with others who may be interested in joining this learning. Sign up at http://hadranalach.com/2090
Bring Some Warmth to the Capital Kosher Food Pantry – Please contribute warm soups, beverages and more to the Pantry's Winter Food Drive. You can drop off your donation in one of our local bins (located at YISE, KMS, Moti's & Shalom) or drop off/ship to the Pantry: Capital Kosher Pantry, 1910 University Boulevard West, Silver Spring, MD 20902. Suggested donations: boxed or canned soups, tea, hot cocoa, coffee, jarred gefilte fish, Shabbat & Yahrzeit candles, tea lights & olive oil.
Parsha Explorations with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Presented by the Greater Washington Community Kollel and Kemp Mill Synagogue, Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM at KMS and on Zoom, Meeting ID: 655 813 1022, Passcode: 365636. For men and women.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Birkat Hamazon with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email email@example.com
In Their Footsteps: Life Lessons From Our Patriarchs and Matriarchs – Wednesdays, 8:00 PM on Zoom F. Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. Series began October 13. Register at https://linksgw.org/classes
Navigating the Dating Experience – The Shidduch Spot of Greater Washington presents a series of talks to enhance the dating journey, featuring Rachel Burnham, Shidduch Dating Coach for Marriage-Minded Singles. December 8 and January 5 on Zoom, Meeting ID: 776 143 4208, password 613613. Each session starts at 8:30 PM.
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more info.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at email@example.com
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 5:46 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 6:14 AM, Latest Netz: 7:12 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:30 AM,
Earliest Mincha: 12:29 PM, Earliest Shkia: 4:45 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 5:31 PM
December 3 – 4, 2021 – 30 Kislev 5782
Parshas Mikeitz/Chanukah/Rosh Chodesh
* Light Candles by 4:27
* Mincha: 3:30 (B), 4:25 (B), 4:15 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 4:25 (B), 4:20 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 5:30
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, December 1 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Friday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager