Parshas Vayeishev/Mevorchim Hachodesh – December 20-21, 2019
Download the December 20 – 21, 2019 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
December 20 – 21, 2019 – 23 Kislev 5780 – Parshas Vayeishev/Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 4:30 – Havdalah 5:34
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Aharon Goodman in honor of his completion of double-Chai years in Federal Service.
* Chana Fish on her engagement to Nimrod Soll of NJ/Israel.
* Shira & Nathaniel Herzfeld on the birth of a boy. Mazal Tov to siblings Meital and Oren, and to the grandparents, uncles, aunts and great grandparents. The Shalom Zachor will take place at the Herzfeld residence, 1704 Ladd Street, at 8:00 PM.
* Arleeta & Rabbi Ivan Lerner on the birth of a great-grandson, son of their grandchildren Sara Tova (Snider) & Rabbi Akiva Miller of Yerushalayim. Mazal Tov to grandparents D'vorah & Rabbi Shmuel Miller of Irvine, CA and Ruth & Mordechai Snider of Baltimore. Mazal Tov to great grandparents Ilene & Henry Miller of Pisgat Ze'ev and Yael & Moshe Glasner of State College, PA.
* Bobbi & Jules Meisler and Naomi & Jan Meisler on the engagement of their granddaughter and niece, Devorah Leah Meisler, daughter of Sara & Marc Meisler of Baltimore to Dovid Chaim Osofsky, son of Sora & Azriel Osofsky of Baltimore, and to her siblings, Esti, Nechama and Shoshana and to all the cousins.
* Amy & Reuven Mizrahi on the birth of a grandson, Yisroel Mickel, born to Hanna & Yitzchok Shapiro of St. Louis. Mazal Tov to Uncle Raphael, Uncle Mordechai, Aunt Leah, cousin Shira and to all of the Shapiro aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Light Candles by 4:30
Ashkenazi: 4:35 Sephardi: 4:30 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:30 Sephardi: 4:10 Nusach Sefard: 4:10
* Shabbos ends: 5:34
* 8:00 Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Meir Goldwicht
*9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi – Bar Mevorach
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Young Israel Shomrai Emunah in honor of the Scholar-in-Residence, Rabbi Meir Goldwicht, along with a generous contribution from the 9:15 Minyan.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 3:40 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by Classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash. Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM, in the Small Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah,
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An in-depth analysis
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver in the Small Social Hall. For more information please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: firstname.lastname@example.org or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Small Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM, in the Social Hall
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women – discussing themes of Chanukah. Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, in the Social Hall at 7:50 PM.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for Special Pre-Chanukah groups: 2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth rooms behind the balcony. 1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall. Please pick up child(ren) promptly. See flyer for details.
Tot Shabbat – with Suri Kinzbrunner 10:30 AM – 11:00 AM in the toddler room for ages 2 and under.
Chanukah Carnival – Sunday, December 22, 12:30 PM – 2:30 PM. See flyer for details.
Chanukah Grownup and Me – Join Shomrai Preschool on Thursday, December 26, 9:45 AM – 10:45 AM for a fun, exciting Chanukah Party! For children ages 3 and under and their grownups. Chanukah sing-a-long, dreidel painting, latkes, and more! See flyer for details.
Preschool Shabbos Lunch – RSVP now for our first ever Shomrai Preschool Shabbos lunch! January 11, 2020 in the YISE Social Hall. For current, former, and prospective preschool families and staff. Go to www.yise.org/lunch or see flyer for details.
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome new members who were voted in at the last Board meeting: Caleb Schere and Vida Yazdi & Joseph Lederman.
Rabbi Meir Goldwicht, Scholar-in-Residence – YISE & KMS are co-hosting Rabbi Meir Goldwicht, the Joel and Maria Finkle Visiting Israeli Rosh Yeshiva at Yeshiva University, for a community Scholar-in-Residence program on Shabbos, December 20 – 21. See flyer for details.
Dor l'Dor – Come join Dor l'Dor: the Family Chevrusah-style Learning in a fun environment, this Motzei Shabbos, December 21, 7:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. This Dor l'Dor is co-sponsored by Josh & Adina Obstfeld and by Ari & Suzanne Israel in honor of the Yahrtzeit of his father, Neil Israel. Delicious Pizza! Interactive Discussions! Raffle of Exciting Prizes! To sponsor this program, contact Michael Shimoff at firstname.lastname@example.org
Gaming and Gelt – Join YISE Young Professionals on the 8th night of Chanukah, Sunday, December 29, 7:30 PM – 10:30 PM in the Social Hall. Life-sized games, Soup and Latke Bars (Pareve) and Donuts (Dairy), Divrei Torah. Cost: $20 per person. For more information, contact Bari Goldschein email@example.com RSVP at wp.yise.org/gaming-and-gelt See flyer for details.
Judaica and Seforim Sale – Tuesday, December 31 (9:00 AM – 9:00 PM) and Wednesday, January 1 (9:00 AM – 9:00 PM), YISE Social Hall. Come fill in the gaps in your library and find great gifts as well. Bring your Shaimos for proper disposal for a nominal fee.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, January 6, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. West in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Community Programs & Listings
Tzurba M'Rabanan – text-based Halacha Sefer learning group meets every Shabbos. Men's group at 3:00 PM at the home of Moshe & Rose Litwack, 11302 Monticello Ave. Women's group Oneg at 4:00 PM, class at 4:15 PM, at the home of Josh & Mickie Breitstein, 1215 North Belgrade Road. Each class is independent – drop-ins welcome.
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, December 21, 3:00 PM at 1121 University Blvd. West Apt. 516.
GWCK Chanukah Celebration – GWCK invites the entire community to a gala Chanukah celebration! Join us for inspiring words of Torah by Rabbi Michoel Frank, delicious hot Chanukah refreshments, live music, spirited dancing, a magical performance for the kids, and much more! Free admission. Monday, December 23, at 7:00 PM at SEHC, 10900 Lockwood Drive. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Simply Tsfat – Live in concert at KMS, Tuesday, December 24, 8:00 PM. Tickets: adult $10, children & students $5, sponsors $100. Purchase tickets at www.kmsynagogue.org or at the door.
Post High School Girls Shiur – Tuesday night, December 24, 8:30 PM at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Road. This week the Shiur will be given by Mrs. Rosenbaum.
Mitzvah Priorities – Which Mitzvos Come First? – Federal Holiday Learning Program with YGW Kollel Zichron Amram, December 25 at the YGW Boys Campus. Breakfast 9:00 AM, Chavrusa learning 9:30 AM, Shiur by Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky 10:40 AM – 11:20 AM. Sponsored by Yossi & Laura Goldman in honor of the Rosh HaYeshiva. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Mikvah Emunah Society Appeal – User fees alone do not cover the cost of running the beautiful Wallerstein Mikvah. We depend on you, to ensure that the Mikvah remains an integral component of Jewish life and of our local Jewish community. Please respond today by sending a check to Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington, P.O. Box 1714, Silver Spring, MD 20915. You can also pay online or set up a recurring monthly subscription payment at https://www.mikvahemunah.com/Membership
Franco Foundation end-of-year appeal – Since it was launched 22 years ago, the Franco Foundation has been helping, in communities across the Greater Washington region, hundreds of individuals and families in very tight circumstances, unemployed, facing eviction, or otherwise unable to make ends meet. Your entire donation goes to those in need. Send your donation to The Franco Foundation, 613 Bromley St. Silver Spring, MD 20902 or Paypal at email@example.com
Celebration of the 13th Global Siyum Hashas – Wednesday, January 1, 1:00 PM – 3:30 PM at Woodside Synagogue, 9001 Georgia Avenue, Silver Spring. Livestreaming of the Siyum from MetLife Stadium, Chinese buffet lunch, and programming for adults and children. Free of charge. RSVP by December 18 online at www.surveymonkey.com/r/SiyumHaShas or contact Sara Silver at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-908-0794. Questions? Contact Arnie Rosenthal at email@example.com or 202-532-3317.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, January 1, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Ovadia Hayat at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
Yeshiva of Greater Washington Tiferes Gedaliah 56th Annual Banquet – Honoring Rabbi Zev Katz, Kesser Torah Award, and Mr. Merrill Kramer, Community Leadership Award. January 12, 5:00 PM at The Hotel at the University of Maryland. For more information, contact Donna Goldman 240-494-1552 or email@example.com or go to www.ygwevents.com to RSVP and/or to place your Journal Ad. Check out our video trailer and make your reservations now!
Camp Chaverim – Registration is OPEN for Summer 2020! Early bird discount! New referral discount program! Two Sessions: June 24 – July 19 and July 20 – August 13. Camp Divisions: Camper Division, Senior Division, Masmidim Division. For more information and to see our new Camp Video, visit our website at chaverimovernight.com Contact us at 410-925-2257 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Capital Kosher Pantry – A bowl of hot soup is comforting this time of year…but Capital Kosher Pantry patrons need the essentials to get there. Donations of soup in all forms (consommé, packets, mixes, cartons, cans) are most welcome, along with "extras" such as barley, lentils and crackers. Other foods are also very welcome. Please place your donations in Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry boxes in many area Shuls and schools, Shalom Kosher, Moti's Market or at the Yad Yehuda House, 1910 University Blvd West. Or, you can order online at yadyehuda.org/pantry and have items shipped directly to the Pantry. Thank you!
Partners in Tefillah matches people with others in need of similar assistance from Hashem. The feedback we have received so far has been amazing. You, too, can Daven for someone else in the community and have them daven for you. May Hashem answer all your prayers. Please visit www.yadyehuda.org/partners-in-tefillah to learn more and to sign up.
Daf Yomi Shiur meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Kollel Dirshu of Silver Spring is studying Maseches Gittin at the YGW. Daily morning shiur given by Rabbi Eli Reingold at 5:45 AM and evening shiur by Ranon Cortell and Pinchas Werner at 9:00 PM. Chavrusah are also available during these learning times. For more information and to join our learning program please contact Hirsh Komarow (301) 681-1646; email@example.com
Dirshu Mishnah Brurah – Learn Chelek Daled with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Learn the Halachos of Eruvin and Techumin. Finish the Chelek in eleven months! Monday through Thursday at YISE after Maariv. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 12:30 PM – 1:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday December 22 Monday December 23 Tuesday December 24 Wednesday December 25 Thursday December 26 Friday December 27
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:10, 6:40, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:40, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:40, 7:35*, 8:30* 6:10, 6:40, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:40, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 4:35 4:35 / 7:30 4:35 / 7:30 4:35 4:35 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:30 4:30 4:30 4:30 4:30
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:29 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:45 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:40 PM
* On Wednesday, the 7:35 Minyan will take place in the Small Social Hall and the 8:30 Minyan will take place in the Belonofsky Sanctuary.
December 27 – 28, 2019 – 30 Kislev 5780
Parshas Mikeitz/Chanukah/Rosh Chodesh
Light Candles: Friday by 4:34 – Havdalah: 5:38
* Light Candles by 4:34
Ashkenazi: 3:00, 4:30 Sephardi: 4:25 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:30 Sephardi: 4:10 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:38
Friday, December 20 Community Dinner, 5:30 PM (RSVP required)
Shabbos, Dec. 20 – 21 Rabbi Meir Goldwicht, Scholar-in-Residence
Motzei Shabbos, Dec. 21 Dor L'Dor, 7:00 PM
Sunday, December 22 Chanukah Carnival, 12:30 PM – 2:30 PM
Sunday, December 29 Gaming and Gelt, 7:30 PM – 10:30 PM
Tue./Wed. Dec. 31/Jan. 1 Seforim Sale, 9:00 AM – 9:00 PM
Shabbos, January 11 Family Luncheon, 1:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline:Wednesday, December 25 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday: 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager