Young Israel Shomrai Emunah -Shabbos Shorts
December 16 – 17, 2022 – 23 Kislev 5783 – Parshas Vayeishev/Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 4:28 – Havdalah 5:32
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored by the Florence & Lawrence Radkowsky to commemorate the Yahrzeits of their mothers, Bessie Jacobson Radkowsky, Basha Bas Shalom Dov, Z"L, on the 12th of Kislev and Esther Glattstein Kramer, Esther Bas Asher Yehuda, Z"L, on the 26th of Kislev,
and by the Sheinson Family in honor of Beethoven's and Ron Sheinson's special birthdays.
* Tzivia Bramson on the birth of a great-granddaughter, Rivka Weinstein, to Shoshana & Binyamin Weinstein. Mazal Tov to grandparents Renee & Mayer Weinstein.
* Tzivia Bramson on the marriage of her grandson, Mordechai Waidenbaum, son of Libby Waidenbaum, to Nechama Tendler. Mazal Tov to all of the siblings, aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Aliza & Rabbi Yitzchak Scher on the birth of a daughter. Mazal Tov to grandparents Chana & Rabbi Bentzion Berliant of Woodside and Roberta & Allan Scher of Atlanta, Georgia.
* Geoffrey Rosenbloom on the passing of his sister, Beverly Lynn Hirsch. Shiva is being observed at 3011 Fallstaff Road, Unit 207, Baltimore, MD 21209, through Wednesday morning. The Minyan schedule is as follows: Shacharis: Sunday through Wednesday: 7:30 AM, Mincha/Maariv: Sunday through Tuesday: 4:30 PM. Visiting hours Motzei Shabbos 6:30 PM – 9:00 PM, Sunday through Tuesday 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM, 2:00 PM – 5:00 PM and 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM.
Minyan locations are B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall, LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis Medrash, H = The House
* Light Candles by 4:28
* Mincha: 4:30 (B), 4:25 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 4:25 (B), 4:20 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends: 5:32
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Minyan Rabbi Postelnek
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura Rabbi Postelnek
* Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Rosenbaum
* The Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by the Sheinson Family in honor of Ron's special birthday.
* The Shul Kiddush is sponsored by Julie & Jerry Brookler in honor of their 55th wedding anniversary.
* Vaccination requirements have been lifted; masks are not required.
* People experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 or other transmissible illnesses should not attend prayer, learning, social or other events at the Shul.
* If you have tested positive for COVID-19, please follow CDC guidelines before returning to Shul.
The Board of Directors appreciates the congregation's understanding as the many varying interests of our members were considered, and look forward to increasing our opportunities to Daven, learn, and spend time together.
YISE Youth Announcements
Friday Night Oneg for Teen Minyan boys, this Friday night, December 16, 8:30 PM at the Holzer home, 912 Hyde Road.
Teen Minyan – The Teen Minyan, led by Rabbi Moshe Holzer, meets at 9:15 AM every Shabbos in The House next to the Shul. Kiddush is served after Davening.
Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, December 17, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends. Age 18-36 months (Mommy & me) in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 2-5 years (drop off) in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk to the Yeshiva. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com
Shabbos Group for 5th and 6th Grade Girls will gather in the front yard of The House next to the Shul promptly at 10 am and go inside together. See flyer for details.
Junior Congregation for boys in grades 4 – 6 with Jay Marcus. Meet in the Lower Lobby at 9:55 and walk to the Yeshiva at 10:00. See flyer for details.
Paint the Lights Chanukah Celebration with Talya Weinberg! Sunday, December 18 at 2:30 PM – Including painting, arts and crafts, latkes and donuts, and fun for the whole family! Sponsorships welcome! More details to come. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Dor L'Dor – The Family Chevrusah-style Learning in a fun environment! The next session will take place Motzei Shabbos, December 31, 7:00 PM in the Social Hall. Please email email@example.com if you would like to sponsor. See flyer for details.
YISE Programs and Listings
Ruach Minyan – This Friday, December 16. Mincha is in the Belonofsky Sanctuary, followed by Kabbalos Shabbos and Maariv in the Social Hall. IY"H the Baal Tefilah will be Yosef Lindell. Bring your family and invite your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic! For questions, contact Adam Bashein: 301-943-4370 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura – A weekly Chabura on the Parsha, now learning the Kedushas Levi. Delve into the deeper dimensions of the Parsha and Holidays by learning the Kedushas Levi's weekly insights. Begins at 8:55 AM Shabbos morning. This week's Shiur will be led by Rabbi Postelnek. See flyer for details.
Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur – Following the Hashkamah Minyan, learning Maseches Sanhedrin, in the Small Beis Medrash. This week's Shiur will be led by Rabbi Rosenbaum.
Trivia Night – This Motzei Shabbos, December 17, 8:00 PM at YISE. $15 at the door. See flyer for details.
Chanukah Kumzitz – Please join us at 8:30 PM on Wednesday, December 21, in the Small Social Hall for a Chanukah Kumzitz with singing, music, Divrei Torah and refreshments. See flyer for details.
Ruach Minyan in the Belonofsky Sanctuary – In honor of SHABBOS CHANUKAH we will have a Ruach Minyan on Friday, December 23, led by Judah Lifschitz.
Bug Checking Presentation with Rabbi Sholom Tendler of Star-K took place on Sunday, December 11. Recording available online at https://wp.yise.org/bug-checking-presentation Thrips cloths (for bug checks, $5 each) and Checking for Bugs cards (free) are available. Please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com if you would like any.
High Holidays Survey – YISE wants to learn from members of the community about your preferences and choices regarding High Holidays services. Please fill out our short survey at https://wp.yise.org/highholidays- survey You may fill out the survey anonymously or include your name. Those who provide their names will be entered in a drawing for a $100 Shalom Kosher gift card.
Come Join Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee. Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, January 2 from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Living Shabbos – Join YISE young professionals for a series on the laws of Shabbos with Rabbi Postelnek. Tuesdays, 8:15 PM – 9:00 PM, at the home of David & Tamara Goodman, 11611 Kemp Mill Road. For questions or to join the WhatsApp group contact Rabbi Postelnek at email@example.com Recordings available at https://wp.yise.org/living-shabbos The next Shiur will take place on Tuesday, December 27.
Monthly Shalosh Seudos – First Shabbos of each month. To sponsor, contact Simi Franco at 301-593-4465, ext. 103, or firstname.lastname@example.org Volunteers are needed to set up and clean up. Contact Ethan Cohen at email@example.com to be part of the rotation. See flyer for details.
Kiddush Volunteers Needed from ALL Minyanim to help set up and clean up for Kiddushes on Shabbos morning. Times vary. Let us know when you are available. Contact Barbara Price at 301-332-8181.
Online YISE Cholim List – Go to https://wp.yise.org/cholim to add a name to the list. The list is used at the 8:45 Minyan on Monday, Thursday, and Shabbos. For questions about Mi Sheberach guidelines, contact Rabbi Rosenbaum. For other questions, contact Seth Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, a part of YISE's Chesed Committee, provides assistance to families undergoing medical crises. For information, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at https://audio.yise.org
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
* Happy birthday to our dearest mother, Ros Efron: a wonderful wife, daughter, sister, mother, grandmother, friend, teacher, confidant, hostess, cook, baker, and human. You fill our lives (and the lives of so many friends, relatives, students and colleagues) with love, kindness, joy, understanding, warmth, inspiration, laughter, Yiddishkeit, brilliance, commitment, appreciation, happiness, and delicious things to eat. A true Eshet Chayil!
Thank you to the Shiurim Sponsors for this Past Week:
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in memory of Rabbi Hyatt, Z"L, and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur and in memory of parents, Avraham Ben Tzvi HaLevi & Ada Bas Menachem Aryeh, Z"L, and Rabbi Hillel & Mrs. Myrna Klavan, Z"L.
* Margie & Michael Hourwitz in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend the Shiur.
Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in honor of Rabbi Grossman and all those who attend his Shiur.
* Chani & Jay Parness in honor of Rabbi Grossman.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur, Shabbos Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
Please email email@example.com to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Options for in-person and remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM, Zoom A, will not meet on Monday, December 19.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM, Zoom A, will not meet on Sunday, December 18 or on Monday, December 19.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A, will resume on January 1, 2023.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A, will resume on January 4, 2023.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sundaymornings, 9:30 AM breakfast, 9:45 AM. Shiurim:
* Illuminating Inquiries in Halacha – Rabbi Yitzchak Mandel
* Judaism 102: Fundamentals for the Experienced Jew – Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Navigating Navi: Sefer Yehoshua – Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Parsha Perspectives: An Exploration of Engaging Parsha Topics – Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info., contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom E.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom F.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys – Zoom D.
* SCP (Semichas Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM at YISE. Join the fastest growing Halacha learning program in the world! Register online at https://thegreaterwashingtoncommunitykollel.com/scp See flyer for details.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:20 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* Chavrusa Learning – Monday nights in the Social Hall, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM. For more information, contact Rabbi Levy 240-423-8810.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Mondays at 8:45 AM, studying Parashas Hashavua, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", in-person in the Small Beis Medrash and on Zoom G.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Metzia, Daf 3a. Wednesday evenings at 8:00 PM on Zoom H.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 or 929-205-6099 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 833 3477 1595, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 601 853 4021, passcode Winter (phone 667362)
Zoom E: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom F: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom H: ID: 849 3898 4989, passcode 161699
Community Programs & Listings
Kidney Donation Needed – Mr. Gerry Segelman, father of Micah Segelman, is in need of a kidney transplant. If you would consider being a kidney donor, please contact Rabbi Chaim Steinmetz at Renewal for more information at email@example.com or 718-431-9831 ext 209.
In G-d We Trust – Exploring the relationship and balance between Relying on G-d/Bitachon & Human Endeavor/Hishtadlus, based on the teachings of 11th century scholar, Rabbeinu Bachya's Treatise on Trust – Shaar Habitachon. Wednesdays, 12:15 PM – 1:00 PM on Zoom, beginning December 14. Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. To register, visit https://linksgw.org/classes
"Light it Up – A Morning of Meaningful Music" – A free, live, in-person event for women (high school seniors and up), featuring Sorah Shaffren. Presented by The Robin Niman Mikvah Education Fund on Sunday, December 18, at 11:00 AM (doors open at 10:45), at YISE. Advance reservation required at https://mikvahemunah.com/2022/11/23/light-it-up
GWCK Chanukah Celebration!Monday, December 19, 7:00 PM at SEHC, 10900 Lockwood Drive. Live music, dancing, Chanukah delicacies! Guest Speaker: Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum. Children's Entertainment: Up In the Air Juggling.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, December 21, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Siyum in Memory of Art Sapper – Go to http://hadranalach.com/2568 to join a Siyum Mishnayos planned for the first Yahrzeit of Art Sapper on November 27, 2023, Kislev 14, 5784.
Mikvah Emunah Society Membership Campaign is underway. It's time to renew or become a member of MES! Regardless of age, gender, or whether you currently use the Mikvah, the community has a responsibility for all its members' spiritual and physical needs. Membership is $360 a year ($30 per month), but all donations are needed and appreciated. If $360 is beyond your ability, please consider becoming a supporting member for $180 or make a contribution at a level that is meaningful for you. Pay online at https://mikvahemunah.com/membership
Bring Some Warmth To Your Friends & Neighbors in Need – Donate warm food items to the Capital Kosher Food Pantry's Cold Weather Food Drive. We need your help to stock up on soups, hot beverages, hot breakfast cereals and more for the coming cold months. All food donations should be shelf-stable, factory sealed, well within the use-by date, and be marked with Star-K, OU, CRC, OK or Kof-K certification. For complete details, please visit: https://www.capitalkosherpantry.org/cold-weather-food-drive
Alshich on the Parsha with Rabbi Levy – Shabbat afternoon between Mincha and Maariv in the Franco Beit Midrash.
Zoom Shiurim with Rabbi Levy – Monday through Friday on Zoom, Meeting ID: 636 563 5989. Alshich – 9:20 AM – 10:15 AM. Gemara Ribit 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM. Hilchot Lashon Hara 12:45 PM – 1:45 PM.
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT"L, with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Dirshu – Please join Dirshu, currently learning Bava Metzia. Shiur options at YGW: Monday – Friday, 5:45 AM (R. Reingold) or Monday – Thursday, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM (R. Cortell/R. Werner), about 2.5 Daf covered each week.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Siddur with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email email@example.com
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more info.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at email@example.com
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online weekdays via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM. Shabbos in-person, 7:30 AM in the YISE Social Hall.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Monday – Friday – Chanukah!
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 5:58 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 6:27 AM, Latest Netz: 7:25 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:43 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:38 PM, Earliest Shkia: 4:47 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim 5:35 PM
December 23 – 24, 2022 – 30 Kislev 5783
Parshas Mikeitz/Chanukah/Rosh Chodesh
* Light Candles by 4:32
* Mincha: 3:00 (B), 4:30 (B), 4:25 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 4:30 (B), 4:25 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 5:35
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, December 21, at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Hours: Monday – Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM,
Friday: 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager