Parshas Vayeishev/Chanukah – December 11 – 12, 2020
Download the Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Included in the PDF are the Israel Report, Likutei Torah, Hamaayan and GWCK Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
December 11 – 12, 2020 – 26 Kislev 5781 – Parshas Vayeishev/Chanukah/Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 4:27 – Havdalah 5:31
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Sheila Gaisin on the recent birth of her newest granddaughter, Henna Bracha, born to her children, Chanalee & Shlomo Gaisin, and in honor of Ron Sheinson's special birthday (39×2) by Harriet, Atara, Baruch, Ora, Mordechai, Aryeh, Miriam and Yedidya.
* Shulie & Ronnie Bergman on the birth of a granddaughter, Aliza Gittel, born to their children, Duvie & Toba Bergman. Mazal Tov also to Laurie Cohen and to all of the aunts and uncles.
* Barbara & Mel Ciment on the engagement of their granddaughter, Ariella Ciment, daughter of Aimee & Daniel Ciment of Englewood, NJ, to Hillel Katz, son of Ellen & Richard Katz of Los Angeles, CA.
* Lois & Sid Meyers on the marriage of their grandson, Mordechai Strauss, son of Jessica & Rabbi Yekusiel Strauss of Fallsburg, NY, to Esther Perel Herzberg, daughter of Chanie & Rabbi Yitzchok Herzberg of Lakewood, NJ.
* Judy & Louis Morris on the birth of twin great grandsons, parents are Elisheva and Arye Leib Friedman & grandparents are Rebecca & Yitzchak Lefkowitz.
* Marla & Marty Teichman on the birth of a great-granddaughter. Mazal Tov to the parents, Elana & Moshe Meth, and the grandparents Debra & Reuven Meth.
* Miriam & Edwin Zaghi on the Bar Mitzvah of their son Erez. Mazal Tov to Erez's siblings, Eliana, Arel and Edan and to grandparents Sheila & Chaim Leibtag and Soraya Azarian and to all of the aunts, uncles and cousins.
Limited Minyanim are now taking place at YISE under Montgomery County's Phase 2 guidelines. All Minyanim require advance registration and confirmation. If you are interested in attending Minyanim and have not already registered, please go to https://www.yise.org/minyan If you are registered for a Minyan and are unable to attend at that time, please do not go to a different Minyan. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* Light Candles by 4:27
* Mincha: 4:30, 4:35 (Sephardi)
If you Daven Kabbalos Shabbos prior to Shkia (4:45 PM), it is preferable to Daven Mincha prior to Plag (3:46 PM).
* Shacharis: 7:10, 9:00, 9:30, 8:30 (Sephardi)
One may say the entire text of the blessing of Birkas Hachodesh even when alone. Rosh Chodesh Teves is on Wednesday. The Molad will be Tuesday morning, 51 minutes and 2 Chalakim after 4, Jerusalem time.
* Mincha: 2:00, 3:30, 3:50 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 5:31
* Outdoor Minyan – If you are interested in an outdoor Minyan without a tent, subject to weather conditions, please email Ari Elias-Bachrach at email@example.com
* Advance registration for Minyanim is required and space is limited. Go to https://www.yise.org/minyan to register. If you have changes to your original registration form, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with details.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and updated times, go to:
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday through Friday 8:30 AM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now studying Sefer Yehoshua,Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men and Women – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, is on hiatus.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM (except as noted). For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* For Men & Women – Zoom C (except as noted):
* Mondays: (for men only) Rabbi H. Shaps, On the Same Page Gemara, Zoom B.
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Grossman – Parshas Hashavua, 9:00 PM
* For Women – Zoom D:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Bereishis in-Depth
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Hillel Shaps. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, Zoom E.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, ¡§A Second Look-Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", Zoom H.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM, Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 349 754 2180, password GWCK
Zoom C: ID: 746 455 2195, password GWCK
Zoom D: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
Zoom E: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom F: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
YISE Programs and Listings
Family Trivia Night – Fun for all ages! Sunday, December 13, 8:00 PM. The registration deadline has passed. If you have questions, contact email@example.com
Chanuka To-Go 5781 – Download the Benjamin and Rose Berger Chanuka To-Go 5781 from Yeshiva University at https://www.yutorah.org/togo/chanuka Limited printed copies available – contact Simi Franco at firstname.lastname@example.org
Go Social! Want to reconnect with shul friends you lost touch with these past COVID-19 months? We're missing our Shul buddies as well!
YISE's Social Committee wants your energy to help lead new (Zoom interactive, of course) programs. Sahra Ginsburg email@example.com Sharon Shimoff firstname.lastname@example.org and Max Rudmann email@example.com are waiting to hear from you.
YISE Regular Board Meeting will take place on Wednesday, December 16, at 8:00 PM on Zoom. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Ask The Rabbi! Come join our new virtual, interactive monthly program featuring different Halachos of Shabbos! Topic this month: Warming up food on Shabbos. Tuesday, December 22 from 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM on Zoom A. The first 45 minutes are for Shailos submitted in advance and the last 15 minutes are for Q & A. Are you ever unsure how to use your hot plate or crockpot? Too embarrassed to ask your friend? Feel awkward calling the Rabbi? Send in your questions about this or anything else related to warming food on Shabbos to: AskTheRabbi@yise.org by Sunday, December 20. For more information or to submit questions by phone, contact Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax-deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT”L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to email@example.com – Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, Name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Our current limited ability to Daven with a Minyan and to say Kaddish is difficult and a challenge. However, sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Sunday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Chumash Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The Pre-Shabbos Drasha video is available for sponsorship at $54.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha and Halacha Shiur
* Chayie & Rabbi Hirsch Chinn
* Judy & David Marwick in memory of Dorothy Swolsky, Devorah bat Eliahu, whose Yahrzeit is on the 25th of Kislev.
* Jacob & Debbie Frenkel to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Jacob's maternal grandmother, Bracha bas Yeshiya HaLevi, whose Yahrzeit is the first day of Chanukah.
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray for a Refuah Sheleima for Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend the Shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Fariba & David Danesh in honor of Nancy Karkowsky and family on the occasion of the marriage of Rafi Karkowsky to Alexandra Perloe.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Erev Shabbos Parsha Drasha
* Simin & Hillel Askarinam to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Hillel's father, Elazar ben Nisan, Z"L.
* Kathy Trimble in honor of family December birthdays: Rick Greenberg, Ann Rose Greenberg and Max Greenberg.
* Miriam & Jeffrey Zuckerman to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Jeffrey's father, on the 28th of Kislev.
YISE Youth Announcements
Dor L'Dor – Motzei Shabbos, December 19, 7:00 PM. Parsha, pizza, prizes and more – but this year virtual! Register by Friday, December 18, 10:000 AM at https://yise.org/dorldor If you have any questions or would like to sponsor, please contact Michael Shimoff at email@example.com See flyer for details.
Community Programs & Listings
Rabbi Silver is being installed as the Mora D'asra of the Young Israel of Long Beach on Tuesday, December 15, Rosh Chodesh Teves, the 6th night of Chanukah, at 8:30 PM. Advance registration is required. To register and for more information, go to https://www.yilb.org
Chanukah City of Lights – Chai Lifeline is doing a drive-through light show for Chanukah on December 15 and 16 from 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM at the JCC of Greater Baltimore, 3506 Gwynbrook Ave., Owings Mills, MD 21117. This event is free of charge and no reservation is needed. Volunteers from Baltimore and Greater Washington have worked very hard putting together this event for Chai Lifeline Mid-Atlantic.
The Golden Network Dr. Fred Dziadek Lift a Friend (LAF) Initiative Chanukah Program – Brighten someone's life! December 10 – 18. Perform an act of Chesed and enter to win a hoverboard or an Amazon gift card. Bonus ticket if your Chesed recipient is 65+. Send an email with your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org Entry deadline December 20, 12 Noon. Ages 6 – 120 may participate. For more information, contact Rabbi Shmuel Leigh at 301- 732-1775 or email@example.com
Don't Forget the Eruv! Help keep the Eruv up in the October 2020 – September 2021 operating year. Donations pay for weekly inspection and repairs, as well as for longer-term maintenance and improvements. The requested donation is $54 per household, but smaller and larger amounts are gratefully accepted. SSEA is a 501(c)(3) organization, and contributions are tax deductible to the extent permitted by law. To donate, use the SSEA “Donate” button at https://wp.yise.org/community-resources/eruv-info or mail a check to SSEA and mail it to 707 Lamberton Drive, Silver Spring, MD 20902. Questions? Email SilverSpringEruv@gmail.com On behalf of the entire community, thank you!
The Yad Yehuda Clothing Exchange will be open to all members of the community this Sunday, December 13, 10:00 AM – 12 Noon. This is your opportunity to shop, at no cost, for beautiful, modest clothing in our well-equipped showroom. Shoppers must be in good health, not have been in contact with someone who tested positive for Covid, wear masks and maintain social distancing. As we cannot accommodate walk-ins at this time, please schedule an appointment at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fhBnGaaLIgwaEUT4rDFUwdVKGz1_U9CeOYD-f_A10iY/edit For questions or to schedule an appointment on another day: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, December 16, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Chanukah Sparks of Inspiration – Short videos for each day of Chanukah from the Vaad Harabanim of Greater Washington. See flyer for details.
Chaiyanu Chanukah Fundraiser – In honor of Chanukah, I decided to create a fundraiser giving 15 doughnuts for every $15 donated through the link below. All profits will be donated to this incredible organization helping support kids suffering from cancer and their families. Additionally, all the doughnuts you sponsor will be delivered to sick patients spending the holidays in the hospital and other treatments! Please consider donating and sharing the link with friends and family! Emanuelle Hutman (Berman 2020) https://teamlifelineisrael.rallybound.org/Emanuelle
Penetrating Thoughts and Practical Perspectives – Thoughts on life, Torah and Middos. Based on Michtav M'Eliyahu, from Rav Eliyahu Dessler, Z”L. Mondays, 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher. Zoom – Meeting ID: 736 4190 7086, Passcode: torah. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Journey to Virtue: Self-Development through Jewish Study – Wednesdays, 8:00 PM on Zoom. Discover the great wisdom of the Jewish tradition to help you reach your full potential, enhance your relationships, and live life with greater meaning! Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. The journey continues. Join any time! No cost. Zoom info and registration at linksgw.org/classes
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click “Sign Up.”
Kemp Mill Village is providing friendly phone calls and limited deliveries during the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer. See kempmillvillage.org for more information.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Wednesday, December 16 – Rosh Chodesh
Limited Minyanim will take place at YISE next week, advance registration and confirmation required. You are encouraged to Daven at home at the same time as a Minyan at YISE.
Shacharis: Sunday 6:30 AM/7:30 AM/8:45 AM; Monday through Friday 6:15 AM/7:00 AM/8:45 AM.
Mincha/Maariv: Sunday – Thursday: 4:40 PM.
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 5:56 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 6:25 AM, Latest Netz: 7:23 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:40 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:36 PM, Earliest Shkia: 4:46 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 5:33 PM
December 18 – 19, 2020 – 4 Teves 5781
Light Candles: 4:29
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, December 16 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.yise.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday – 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Simi Franco – Office Manager