Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
October 22 – 23, 2021 – 17 Marcheshvan 5782 – Vayeira
Light Candles by 6:01 – Havdalah 6:59
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Faith, Yale & Sahra, and Raph Ginsburg to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Gil Ginsburg, Gershon Yosef Ben Yisroel Moshe, whose Yahrzeit is today, the 17th of Marcheshvan;
and by Debi & Max Rudmann to mark the third Yahrzeit of Nati (the Cowboy) Charles, Natan Ben Zev HaKohen, on the 18th of Marcheshvan.
* Florence Avigan on the birth of a great-grandson to Belah & Moshe Barzel. Mazal Tov to great aunt and uncle Karen & Howie Schulman and to the entire family.
* Bev Morris & Art Boyars on the birth of a grandson to their children, Michal & Jack Boyars of Silver Spring. Mazal Tov to big sisters Talia and Hannah, and to Aunt Dova, Uncle Yanky, and cousin Carl of Kemp Mill.
* Tzivia Bramson on the birth of a great-granddaughter, Bracha, daughter of Esti & Eli Potash and granddaughter of Libby Waidenbaum.
* Tzivia Bramson on the birth of a great-grandson, Yitzchak, to Devorah & Yaakov Ryp. Mazal Tov also to grandparents Renee & Mayer Weinstein.
* Keren & Ira Rabin on the Bar Mitzvah of their son Tzvi. Mazal Tov to grandparents Carol & Lionel Rabin and aunt & uncle Joseph & Esther Rabin.
* Gloria & Arnie Sherman on the Bat Mitzvah of their granddaughter, Kira Koplow, daughter of Tovah & Michael Koplow of Potomac, MD. Mazal Tov to her siblings, Zachary and Eliana, and to all of the aunts, uncles, and cousins.
* Helene Zeltser on the engagement of her grandson, Sam Berman, son of Dr. Lori Zeltser & Len Berman, to Alexandra Schreiber of New York.
* Jack Spiro on the passing of his sister, Mae Smith. Jack is observing Shiva through Sunday morning at 11212 Healy Street.
Minyan locations are listed as B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall. All Sephardi Minyanim take place in the Beit Medrash.
* Light Candles by 6:01
* Mincha: 6:05 (B), 5:55 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi), 9:15 (Teen Minyan – 1101 North Belgrade Road)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 6:00 (B), 5:55 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 6:59
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Postelnek
* 9:15 Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 and 9:15 Kiddush in a Bag is sponsored by Faith, Yale & Sahra, and Raph Ginsburg to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Gil Ginsburg, Gershon Yosef Ben Yisroel Moshe, Z”L, whose Yahrzeit is today, the 17th of Marcheshvan; and by The Berner Family to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Paul's father, Chaim Shalom Ben Tzvi, Z”L.
* The YISE Board has mandated that everyone who is medically eligible for an FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 in order to enter the Shul building, effective November 1.
* Masks are required for ALL people in the YISE Arcola building, whether vaccinated or unvaccinated, with the exception of children under the age of 2.
* There are no social distancing requirements in the YISE building. There are no in-person Kiddushes at this time.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday 7:30 PM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Hillel Shaps – Unraveling the Navi: Melachim Aleph
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more information, contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara – in person (Social Hall) and on Zoom F.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom D.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom H.
* For Women, Zoom I
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Sefer Bereishis
* SCP (Semichat Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM. A new semester began on October 19. Join the fastest growing Halacha learning program in the world! Now back in person at YISE. Register at gwckollel.org/scp See flyer for details.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Monday – Parasha, Tuesday – Halachos, 8:45 AM, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, “A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective”, Zoom E.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Kama 7th Perek Merubah. Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM, Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom E: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom F: ID: 349 754 2180, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Zoom I: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
YISE Programs and Listings
The Laws and Lessons of Shemitta – Sundays at 8:15 PM on Zoom A. Join us in learning about Shemitta in a 4-part series with Rabbi Rosenbaum and Rabbi Postelnek, October 24, October 31 and November 14. Recording of first Shiur online at https://wp.yise.org/shemitta See flyer for details.
Meet Our New Village: Join us on Sunday, October 24, from 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM, for refreshments and information at the outdoor tent of Kemp Mill Synagogue to learn about Silver Spring Village, the nonprofit that helps older residents remain safely in their homes and to be engaged in their communities as they age. Village members tend to be over 50, while volunteer opportunities are available for adults of any age. Meet representatives from the Village, learn about its many services (rides, household tasks, errands, tech support, storm buddies and more), and sign up to volunteer or to enjoy a free trial membership to experience all the Village has to offer.
Community meeting co-sponsored by YISE and KMS. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Silver Spring Village at 240-833-5580 or email@example.com See flyer for details.
Ask the Rabbi – Come join our virtual, interactive monthly program featuring different Halachic topics. This month's topic: Brachos. Tuesday, October 26, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM on Zoom A. The first 45 minutes are for Shailos submitted in advance and the last 15 minutes are for Q & A. Send in your questions to: AskTheRabbi@yise.org by Sunday, October 24. For more information or to submit questions anonymously, contact Miriam Friedman, 301- 754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org To sponsor the Shiur, contact email@example.com See flyer for details.
The Last Selection: A Child's Journey Through the Holocaust with Mrs. Golda Kalib – Monday, November 8, 7:30 PM on Zoom A. Presented by YISE and KMS in commemoration of Kristallnacht. See flyer for details.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim and Parsha Shiur – Videos of past Shiurim are now available at https://wp.yise.org/parsha
Kiddush in a Bag! While we are not yet back to regular in-Shul Kiddushes, we are happy to now offer Kiddush in a Bag for the 8:45 and 9:15 Minyanim. To sponsor the Kiddush in a Bag, contact Simi Franco at firstname.lastname@example.org Volunteers Are Needed to help assemble Kiddush in a Bag weekly. If you can help please contact Simi Franco at email@example.com or 301-593-4465 x403
Come Join Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee: Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, November 1, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax-deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT”L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
Please email email@example.com to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to the Shiurim sponsors for this Past Week:
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in honor of a Refuah Sheleimah to Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Jacob & Dr. Debra Frenkel to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Jacob's mother, Shulamis Bas Reb Mordechai HaLevi, on the 16th of Marcheshvan.
* Zak Family in honor of the Yahrzeit of Mrs. Elsie Zak, Aliza Basya bas Dov, Z”L.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur
* Debi & Max Rudmann mark the third Yahrzeit of Nati (the Cowboy) Charles, Natan Ben Zev HaKohen, on the 18th of Marcheshvan.
Rabbi Rosenbaum Shabbos Drasha
* Bev Morris & Art Boyars in appreciation of Simi Franco and Sue White's help in preparing the October 16 Main Minyan Kiddush-to-Go.
* Charlotte Hanau and Family to commemorate the sixth Yahrzeit of their husband and father, Fred Hanau, Mordechai Ben Reuvan, Z”L.
* Tsipi & Jerry Hawk in commemoration of Jerry's father's Yahrzeit, Tzvi Elazar ben Harav Yeshaya, Z”L.
* Cheryl & Dr. Ken Jacobson in honor of the Shloshim of Ken's mother, Gail Jacobson, Golda Rivka bat Menachem Mendel HaLevi, Z”L.
* Esther & Seth Kaplan in memory of Seth's grandmother, Sylvia Wendroff Kaplan, who fled from Belarus in the early 1920s and was a devoted mother to her two sons & grandmother to her four grandchildren. Without formal education, she encouraged her children and grandchildren to pursue education and PhDs, etc.
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
YISE Youth Announcements
Shabbos Groups will take place this Shabbos, October 23, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends, indoors. Masks required indoors for age 2+. Age 18-36 months (Mommy and me) will be located in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 2-5 years (drop off) will meet in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk over to the Yeshiva. For more information, contact Michal Merkin, YISE Youth groups coordinator, at email@example.com
A Bikur Cholim Arts Experience with Mrs. Marilyn Fine on Sunday, November 7, at 1:00 PM in the Social Hall. Come create a very special jigsaw puzzle for a child who is ill. For grades 2-5. Admission charge: A contribution of any amount to Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington. Snack to go! See flyer for details.
Community Programs & Listings
Eruv Appeal 2021 – Silver Spring Eruv Association's 2021 Annual Appeal for funds to support operation of the White Oak-Northwood-Kemp Mill Eruv is happening now. Requested donation is $54 per household; larger or smaller gratefully accepted. Three ways to donate: PayPal to SilverSpringEruv@gmail.com or at www.yise.org/eruv; Venmo to @SilverSpringEruv; by check payable to SSEA, mailed to 707 Lamberton Drive, Silver Spring, MD 20902. Details and more info are in the postal appeal or can be found at www.yise.org/eruv
Taharas Hamishpacha Refresher Course – 6 week online course offered by the Robin Niman Mikvah Education Fund beginning the first week in November, taught by Mrs. Chayie Chinn. Registration will be available beginning Monday, October 25, on www.mikvahemunah.com
The Capital Closet of Yad Yehuda (formerly the Clothing Exchange) has available hours for all members of the community to shop at no cost on Sunday, October 31, from 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM, at 1910 University Blvd. West. This is an opportunity for everyone to come and shop for beautiful, Tzanua clothing in our well-equipped showroom. Everyone must be in good health and not have been in contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19. If you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Parsha Explorations with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Presented by the Greater Washington Community Kollel and Kemp Mill Synagogue, Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM at KMS and on Zoom, Meeting ID: 655 813 1022, Passcode: 365636. For men and women.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Birkat Hamazon with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email email@example.com
In Their Footsteps: Life Lessons From Our Patriarchs and Matriarchs – Wednesdays, 8:00 PM on Zoom F. Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. Series began October 13. Register at https://linksgw.org/classes
Navigating the Dating Experience – The Shidduch Spot of Greater Washngton presents a series of talks to enhance the dating journey, featuring Rachel Burnham, Shidduch Dating Coach for Marriage-Minded Singles. October 27, December 8 and January 5 on Zoom, Meeting ID: 776 143 4208, password 613613. Each session starts at 8:30 PM.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, October 27, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact email@example.com, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more info.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click “Sign Up.”
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 6:13 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 6:40 AM, Latest Netz: 7:34 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 10:09 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:23 PM, Earliest Shkia: 6:09 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 6:58 PM
October 29 – 30, 2021 – 24 Marcheshvan 5782
Parshas Chayei Sarah
* Light Candles by 5:52
* Mincha: 5:55 (B), 5:45 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:50 (B), 5:45 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 6:51
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, October 27 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager