Parshas Vayeira – November 6 – 7, 2020
Download the Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Included in the PDF are the Israel Report, Hamaayan, Likutei Torah and GWCK Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
November 6 – 7, 2020 – 13 Cheshvan 5781 – Parshas Vayeira
Light Candles by 4:43 – Havdalah 5:42
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by
* The Edeson & Stern Families and Friends in honor of Charles Blum's (Buddy) 91st Birthday
* Arleeta & Ivan Lerner in memory of Shmuel ben Dovid, Z"L (Sam Axelrod) on his 12th Yahrzeit
* Debbie and Jeffrey Weinstein in honor of the B'nos Mitzvah of their daughters, Lily and Hannah.
* Jennifer & Yitzhak Cohen on the engagement of their son Max to Daria Karpova of Tel Aviv. Mazal Tov to grandmother Grace Weiner and to the entire Cohen family.
* Nancy Karkowsky and family on the marriage of her son, Rafi Karkowsky, to Alexandra Perloe, daughter of Paulette Jellinek and Sidney Perloe of Philadelphia, PA. The Chuppah and celebration took place on Sunday, October 25, in Philadelphia. May both families have the opportunity to share many Smachot together.
* Dena & Avi Kotek on the birth of a boy. Mazal Tov to the extended Kotek and Topper families.
* Sarah & David Maslow on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Shalom Yeshaya Lebowtiz, son of Aleeza & Rabbi Natanel Lebowitz of Ramat Bet Shemesh.
* Sarah & David Maslow on the Bat Mitzvah of their granddaughters Aderet and Tehila, daughters of their children Jonathan & Bat-Sheva Maslow of Riverdale, NY.
* Jeff & Debbie Weinstein on the B'nos Mitzvah of their daughters, Lily and Hannah. Mazal Tov also to all of the honorary Kemp Mill Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, and cousins.
* Sol & Marcelle Chalom on the passing of their nephew, Sammy Wahba. The funeral took place on Wednesday.
* Robert Zak on the passing of his mother, Elsie Zak, Aliza Basya bas Dov Hakohein. Robert is observing Shiva until Sunday morning. He may be reached during Shiva on Zoom, 8:00pm – 9:00pm on Motzei Shabbos, Meeting ID: 770 3369 1592 Passcode: Zak (online) or 684044 (call-in 301-715-8592), or by phone 646-238-0700. Mishnayos study signup at: https://www.lzechernishmas.com/signup.php?id=8081
Limited Minyanim are now taking place at YISE under Montgomery County's Phase 2 guidelines. All Minyanim require advance registration and confirmation. If you are interested in attending Minyanim and have not already registered, please go to https://www.yise.org/minyan If you are registered for a Minyan and are unable to attend at that time, please do not go to a different Minyan. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* Light Candles by 4:43
* Mincha: 4:50
If you Daven Kabbalos Shabbos prior to Shkia (5:01 PM), it is preferable to Daven Mincha prior to Plag (3:56 PM).
* Shacharis: 7:00, 9:00, 9:30, 9:00 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 2:00, 3:30, 4:00 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 5:42
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and updated times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday through Friday 8:30 AM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM – Zoom A, will not meet on Sunday.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:15 AM, Zoom A. Note special time for November 8.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now studying Sefer Yehoshua,Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men and Women – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, will resume on Chanukah.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM (except as noted). For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* For Men & Women – Zoom C (except as noted):
* Mondays: (for men only) Rabbi H. Shaps, On the Same Page Gemara, Zoom B.
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Grossman – Parshas Hashavua, 9:00 PM
* For Women – Zoom D:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Bereishis in-Depth
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Hillel Shaps. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, Zoom E.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM, Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 349 754 2180, password GWCK
Zoom C: ID: 746 455 2195, password GWCK
Zoom D: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
Zoom E: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom F: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
YISE Programs and Listings
Kristallnacht Program on Zoom – Sunday, November 8. 7:00 PM – Virtual Video Presentation: Children Saved from the Nazis; The Story of Sir Nicholas Winton. 8:00 PM – Post-Video Discussion with Rabbi Rosenbaum and Rabbi Weinberg, "The Impact of our Actions in the Face of Challenges." Please join our community for this thought-provoking and meaningful commemoration. Zoom ID: 655 813 1022 Password: 365636 Contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com if you have questions. See flyer for details.
Unity in the Community in Difficult Times – Join the Greater Washington community for words of inspiration with Rabbi Paysach Krohn. Sunday, November 15, 8:30 PM on Zoom. Meeting ID: 964 8488 1332, password 613613. See flyer for details.
Understanding Vaccines: The Process and the Promise – Sunday, November 22, 10:45 AM – 12 Noon on Zoom A. Organized by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and YISE, co-sponsored by KMS, SSJC, Ohr Hatorah, SEHC and Chabad of Silver Spring. See flyer for details.
Shred Support, a new shredding service co-founded by Uriel Levitt and Jacob Werbin, will be donating 10% of all profits to YISE from orders dropped off in November. Jacob & Uriel have over 5 years of office work experience and have a track record of reliability & exceptional work ethic. Shred Support adheres to the highest caliber of confidentiality. Learn more about Shred Support or complete an order form today at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YbP_kVC1s01URQKDIQ4mR2yH0z6qsN2Nh4_pR9bvU_M or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Go Social! Want to reconnect with shul friends you lost touch with these past COVID-19 months? We're missing our Shul buddies as well! YISE's Social Committee wants your energy to help lead new (Zoom interactive, of course) programs. Sahra Ginsburg email@example.com Sharon Shimoff firstname.lastname@example.org and Max Rudmann email@example.com are waiting to hear from you. We already have something fun planned for Chanukah so stay tuned. Details to come soon.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Community Programs & Listings
Berman Help the Homeless Club Donation Drive – Sunday, November 8, in the KMS parking lot from 10:30 AM – 3:30 PM. We are collecting items such as new socks, paper plates, disposable cutlery, toilet paper, ground coffee, deodorant, toothpaste, soap, razors, shaving cream, Lysol wipes/spray, paper towels, hand sanitizer, and hand soap. All items donated must be new and normal sized (not miniature) and they will go to the Montgomery County Coalition for the Homeless. We ask that when donating everyone stays in their cars and wears a mask.
Free Outdoor Flu Shots for the Family – Sunday, November 8, 3:00 PM – 5:00 PM, at Torah School of Greater Washington, 2010 Linden Lane. Shots administered in your car. Ages 6-months and up. Brought to you by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington. Shots administered by Holy Cross Healthcare. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Penetrating Thoughts and Practical Perspectives – Thoughts on life, Torah and Middos. Based on Michtav M'Eliyahu, from Rav Eliyahu Dessler, Z"L. Mondays, 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher. Starting November 9 on Zoom – Meeting ID: 736 4190 7086, Passcode: TORAH. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, November 11, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Roy Rosenbaum's Shiur on ¡§Higher Biblical Criticism: A Popular – but Highly Flawed – Theory" for men & women, Thursdays at 10:15 AM on Zoom. Meeting ID: 970 1398 4837, Password: 613
Refuat Hanefesh Free Online Facilitated Peer Support Groups for COVID-19 Related Struggles
* Adults (18+) experiencing isolation or loneliness, led by Dr. Avi Muschel, Mondays, 8:00 PM, 11/9, 11/23, 12/7,12/21, 1/4, 1/18.
* Older adults (55+) experiencing isolation or loneliness, led by Dena Croog Cohen, Wednesdays, 7:30 PM, 11/4, 11/18, 12/2, 12/16, 12/30, 1/13.
* Grief and loss due to the loss of a loved one to COVID-19, led by Lauren Bahar, MSW, Tuesdays, 8:00 PM, 11/3, 11/17, 12/1, 12/15, 12/29, 1/12.
* Parents of children with specialized needs who feel impacted by the pandemic (This group is co-sponsored by Makor Disability Services.), Tuesdays, 8:00 PM, 11/3, 11/17, 12/1, 12/15, 12/29, 1/12.
For more information, contact Noam Stein at email@example.com or go to www.refuathanefesh.org
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington Hope and Healing Gala – Event streaming on November 8, 10:00 AM, honoring BCGW volunteers Sid Diamond, Arlene Groner and Marcia Kerchner. Register online at https://www.bikurcholimgw.org
Journey to Virtue: Self-Development through Jewish Study – Wednesdays, 8:00 PM on Zoom. Discover the great wisdom of the Jewish tradition to help you reach your full potential, enhance your relationships, and live life with greater meaning! Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. The journey continues. Join any time! No cost. Zoom info and registration at linksgw.org/classes
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 7:00 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM, Friday 5:45 PM.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click ¡§Sign Up."
Kemp Mill Village is providing friendly phone calls and limited deliveries during the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer. See kempmillvillage.org for more information.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Limited Minyanim will take place at YISE next week, advance registration and confirmation required. You are encouraged to Daven at home at the same time as a Minyan at YISE. Shacharis: Sunday 6:30 AM/7:30 AM/8:45 AM; Monday through Friday 6:00 AM/7:00 AM/8:45 AM. Mincha/Maariv: Sunday – Thursday: 4:45 PM.
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 5:56 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:17 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:23 PM
November 13 – 14, 2020 – 27 Cheshvan 5781
Parshas Chayei Sarah
Light Candles: 4:37
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, November 11 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.yise.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday – 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Simi Franco – Office Manager
YISE Youth Announcements
Dor L'Dor is Back! – It will be the usual Motzei Shabbos fun – Parasha, pizza, prizes and more – but this year virtual! Advance registration is required each week by Friday at 10:00 AM. Register at https://yise.org/dorldor This Dor L'Dor is sponsored by Jay & Allison Marcus in memory of Jay's grandmother, Frances Marcus, Allison's grandfather, Frank Kramer, and Jay's grandfather, Joseph Hoch. If you have any questions or would like to sponsor, please contact Michael Shimoff at email@example.com See flyer for details.
Mentalism Beyond Belief with David Jaison – Motzei Shabbos, November 21, 7:30 PM on Zoom A. For middle and high school students. See flyer for details.
* Outdoor Minyan – If you are interested in an outdoor Minyan without a tent, subject to weather conditions, please email Ari Elias-Bachrach at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Advance registration for Minyanim is required and space is limited. Go to https://www.yise.org/minyan to register. If you have changes to your original registration form, please send an email to email@example.com with details.
* All other activities at YISE are cancelled, including Youth Groups, Shiurim and special events.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org – Sponsor name, Birthday or anniversary date, Name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Our current limited ability to Daven with a Minyan and to say Kaddish is difficult and a challenge. However, sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Sunday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Chumash Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The Pre-Shabbos Drasha video is available for sponsorship at $54.
Please email email@example.com to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha and Halacha Shiur
* Mr. Jacob Frenkel & Dr. Debra Frenkel to commemorate the Yahrtzeit of Jacob's mother, Sulamith Frenkel, Shulamis bas Reb Mordechai HaLevi, Z"L, on 16 MarCheshvan.
* Nancy Karkowsky and family on the marriage of her son, Rafi Karkowsky, to Alexandra Perloe, daughter of Paulette Jellinek and Sidney Perloe of Philadelphia, PA. The Chuppah and celebration took place on Sunday, October 25, in Philadelphia.
* Hedy Peyser in memory of her beloved husband, Rabbi Dr. Paul Peyser, Z"L.
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray for a Refuah Sheleima for Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend the Shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Women's Chumash Shiur
* Nancy Karkowsky and family on the marriage of her son, Rafi Karkowsky, to Alexandra Perloe, daughter of Paulette Jellinek and Sidney Perloe of Philadelphia, PA. The Chuppah and celebration took place on Sunday, October 25 in Philadelphia.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Erev Shabbos Parsha Drasha
* Halpern and Wakschlag families to commemorate the 2nd Yahrzeit of our beloved husband, father, and grandfather, Rabbi Jacob Halpern, Harav Yaakov Yisrael ben Harav Usher Yeshaya, on the 21st of Cheshvan.
* Debbie and Jeffrey Weinstein in honor of the B'nos Mitzvah of their daughters, Lily and Hannah.