Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
November 15 – 16, 2019 – 18 Cheshvan 5780 – Parshas Vayeira
Light Candles by 4:36 – Havdalah 5:36
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Debi & Max Rudmann on the first Yahrzeit of Debi's father, cowboy Natie, Natan Hacohen ben Zev. A special thank you to the community for its support and to all who learned in his memory.
* Buddy (Charles) Blum on his 90th birthday.
* Esther Edeson on the marriage of her grandson, Sammy Edeson, son of Helene & Nathan Edeson of Brooklyn, New York, to Kathy Elo, daughter of Shella & Moshe Zafrani of Brooklyn, New York.
* Esther Edeson on the engagement of her grandson, Max Edeson, son of Helene & Nathan Edeson, of Brooklyn, New York, to Sarah Barth. daughter of Stacy & Jay Barth of Teaneck, New Jersey.
* Rose & Rabbi Moshe Litwack on the birth of a son. Mazal Tov to grandparents Giliah & David Litwack, Terry Blynn, and Ian Blynn, and to siblings Eliezer, Rivkah, Yaffa, and Shifra and all of the aunts, uncles and cousins. The Shalom Zachor will take place at 8:30 PM at the Litwack home, 11302 Monticello Avenue. The Bris will take place on Shabbos after the 8:45 Minyan.
* Chaya & Rabbi Yehuda Shinensky on the occasion of Shlomo's Bar Mitzvah. Mazal Tov to Dovid, Shua, Akiva, and Leah, and to all of the extended family.
* Bertha & Jack Spiro on the birth of a great-granddaughter, born to their grandchildren Chava & Daniel Horovitz of Kiryat Tivon, Israel. Mazal Tov to proud grandparents Tzippy (Spiro) & David Horovitz of Beit Shemesh.
* Rachie Reingold on the passing of her father, Sam Rosen. The funeral took place in Baltimore on Thursday. Shiva is being observed at 3604 Clarks Lane, Baltimore, MD 21215, through Wednesday morning. Shacharis: Sunday: 8:00 AM; Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday: 7:00 AM. Mincha/Maariv: Sunday, Monday, Tuesday: 4:30 PM.
* Light Candles by 4:36
Ashkenazi: 4:40 Sephardi: 4:35 Nusach Sefard: 4:40
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30,4:35 Sephardi: 4:15 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
* Shabbos ends: 5:36
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – the Ginsburg family in commemoration of the 1st Yahrzeit of Gilbert J. Ginsburg
* Sephardi – "Sephardic Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – the Shinenskys in honor of the Bar Mitzvah of their son Shlomo, and the Litwacks in honor of the Bris of their son.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 3:30 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha
This Shabbos is the first Yahrtzeit of those who tragically perished in the synagogue shooting in Pittsburgh as they gathered to connect with Hashem and their fellow Jews. May each of their souls be elevated and may their loved ones and friends – and the entire Pittsburgh community – be consoled.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth rooms behind the Balcony. 1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Tot Shabbat – with Suri Kinzbrunner 10:30 AM – 11:00 AM in the toddler room for ages 2 and under.
YISE Programs and Listings
Parkland Pool Property Public Meeting – YISE is in the process of acquiring a portion of the Parkland Pool parking lot to address our Shul's burgeoning needs. As part of the purchase and subdivision process, we are required to host a public meeting to inform the community about our long term plans to develop the property. The meeting will take place on Thursday, November 21, at 8:00 PM in the Large Social Hall. YISE members are, of course, welcome and encouraged to attend. If you have any questions or concerns in advance of the meeting, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or Michael Shimoff at email@example.com
Ruach Minyan – Hold the date for the next Ruach Minyan, Friday, November 22, Large Social Hall. During part of the davening there will be a special story telling program. So bring the family and invite your friends, it's going to be Gevaldic! For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Dor l'Dor – Come join Dor l'Dor: the Family Chevrusah-style Learning In a fun environment! Next Motzei Shabbos, November 23, 7:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. Delicious Pizza! Interactive Discussions! Raffle of Exciting Prizes! To sponsor this program, contact Michael Shimoff at email@example.com
Stop the Bleed Training – YISE hosted training sessions on November 3. Additional information about Stop the Bleed Training is available at www.yise.org/stopthebleed or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony, will only meet on Tuesday this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony, will resume November 27.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by Classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash. Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM, in the Small Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An in-depth analysis
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver in the Small Social Hall. For more information please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: email@example.com or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Small Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM, in the Social Hall
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women – new topic: A 2nd Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective. Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, in the Social Hall at 7:50 PM.
Community Programs and Listings
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, November 16, 3:00 PM at 1121 University Blvd. West Apt. 516.
Yad Yehuda's Clothing Exchange is a free clothing store for new or gently-used modest, up-to-date, clothing. We stock men's, women's, children's and infants' clothes and winter coats. We currently have an overabundance of beautiful clothing and are opening our doors to the general Jewish community. Please drop in to see our selection this Sunday, November 17 at 7:00 PM. The Clothing Exchange is located at Yad Yehuda House, 1910 University Boulevard West, Silver Spring, MD 20902. There is no charge for items in The Clothing Exchange.
Jewish Learning Initiative on Campus – Rav Menachem Schrader (Founding Director of JLIC) will be in Kemp Mill on Sunday, November 17. He will give a D'var Torah and speak informally at 7:00 PM at the home of Naomi & Ori Carmel, 1212 North Belgrade Roard. All are welcome. For more information, contact Ori Carmel at email@example.com
AMIT Birah Chapter Dinner Reception – Meet our student ambassadors on Monday, November 18, 7:00 PM, at the home of Sharona & Leo Rozmaryn, 801 Stonington Road. Light dairy supper. For additional information, contact Robbie Pearlstein at 410-484-2223 or firstname.lastname@example.org or go to amitchildren.org/event/amit-birah-chapter-dinnerreception
The Dangers of Erasing Women and the Slide to Extremism with Shoshanna Keats Jaskoll, co-founder of Chochmat Nashim, Wednesday, November 20, 7:00 PM at the home at Brett & Alana Fine. Thank you to JOFA for being a sponsor of this event. To learn more about Chochmat Nashim, go to www.chochmatnashim.org For more information and to RSVP, contact Elise Saks at email@example.com
Post High School Girls Shiur – Wednesday night, November 20, 8:30 PM at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Road.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, November 20, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Ovadia Hayat at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Taking Care of Ourselves…Body and Soul – The Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington presents a night of learning for women of all ages. Wednesday, November 20, 8:00 PM at Chabad of Silver Spring – 519 Lamberton Drive. Join us for an evening of questions and answers featuring a panel discussion with community Rebbetzins including Mrs. Rivkie Frank, Mrs. Rachie Reingold, Mrs. Atara Rosenbaum, Mrs. Estee Silver, Mrs. Elana Weinberg Mrs. Sara Malka Winter and Mrs. Chaya Wolvovsky. Special tribute in honor of the shloshim of Robin Niman, A"H. Have a question for the Rebbetzins? Send it to email@example.com by November 18 (Not all questions will be used.)
(No) Strings Attached: To What Extent is a Community Bound by the Conditions of a Donation? – The Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men, with Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum, Rav of YISE. Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 28, at the YGW Boys Campus. Breakfast 9:00 AM, Chavrusa Learning 9:30 AM, Shiur 10:40 AM. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392. Simply Tsfat – Live in concert at KMS, Tuesday, December 24, 8:00 PM. Tickets: adult $10, children & students $5, sponsors $100. Purchase tickets at www.kmsynagogue.org or at the door.
Partners in Tefillah matches people with others in need of similar assistance from Hashem. The feedback we have received so far has been amazing. You, too, can Daven for someone else in the community and have them daven for you. May Hashem answer all your prayers. Please visit www.yadyehuda.org/partners-in-tefillah to learn more and to sign up.
Daf Yomi Shiur meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Kollel Dirshu of Silver Spring is studying Maseches Gittin at the YGW. Daily morning shiur given by Rabbi Eli Reingold at 5:45 AM and evening shiur by Ranon Cortell and Pinchas Werner at 9:00 PM. Chavrusah are also available during these learning times. For more information and to join our learning program please contact Hirsh Komarow (301) 681-1646; firstname.lastname@example.org
Dirshu Mishnah Brurah – Learn Chelek Daled with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Learn the Halachos of Eruvin and Techumin. Finish the Chelek in eleven months! Monday through Thursday at YISE after Maariv. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 12:30 PM – 1:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday November 17 Monday November 18 Tuesday November 19 Wednesday November 20 Thursday November 21 Friday November 22
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 4:40 4:40 / 7:30 4:40 / 7:30 4:40 / 7:30 4:40 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:35 4:35 4:35 4:35 4:35
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:04 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:23 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:25 PM
November 22 – 23, 2019 – 25 Cheshvan 5780
Parshas Chayei Sarah, Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles: Friday by 4:31 – Havdalah: 5:32
* Light Candles by 4:31
Ashkenazi: 4:35 Sephardi: 4:30 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:30 Sephardi: 4:10 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:32
Shabbos, November 16 Bar Mitzvah of Shlomo Aaron Shinensky, 8:45 AM
Thursday, November 21 Parkland Pool Property Public Meeting, 8:00 PM
Motzei Shabbos, Nov. 23 Dor L'Dor, 7:00 PM
Sunday, November 24 Blood Drive, 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, November 20 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-55c61 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday: 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager