Young Israel Shomrai Emunah -Shabbos Shorts
November 11 – 12, 2022 – 18 Marcheshvan 5783 – Parshas Vayeira
Light Candles by 4:39 – Havdalah 5:39
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored by Faith Ginsburg, Sahra & Yale Ginsburg, Raphael Ginsburg, and the entire Ginsburg Family for the Yahrzeit of Prof. Gilbert J. Ginsburg, Gershon Yosef Ben Yisroel Moshe,
and by Tsipi &Jerry Hawk in commemoration of the Yahrzeit of Jerry's father, Tzvi Elazar Ben Harav Yeshaya.
* Barbara & Michael Blaustein on the birth of a granddaughter, Rena Leah. Parents are Adina & Ezra Blaustein of Beachwood, OH.
* Susan & Rabbi Saul Koss on the engagement of their granddaughter Hudi Bart (parents Rivka & R' Evan Bart of Richmond, VA) to Rafael Dilman, son of Basya & R' Dovid Dilman, all of Yerushalayim. Mazal Tov also to Bubby Frieda and Uncle Jonathan.
* Arleeta & Rabbi Dr. Ivan Lerner on the birth of a girl to their grandchildren Chaya & Yeshayahu Pack. Mazal Tov to great-grandmother Dina Rosenbaum and to grandparents, Devorah & Rabbi Ezra Lerner and Yocheved & Rabbi Yosef Pack.
* Michael Harris on the passing of his father, Sidney Harris. Shiva is being observed at 801 Lamberton Drive until Thursday morning. Visiting hours: Motzei Shabbos: 8:30 PM – 9:30 PM, Sunday: 12 Noon – 1:00 PM, Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday: 12 Noon – 1:00 PM, 8:30 PM – 9:30 PM. Those coming for Shiva visits are requested to wear masks. Michael may be contacted during Shiva at 301-921-5515.
* Sara Silver on the passing of her mother, Vivian Silver. Sara is observing Shiva at 1111 University Blvd. West, Apt. 416 until Sunday morning. Visiting hours Motzei Shabbos: 7:00 PM – 10:00 PM.
Minyan locations are B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall, LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis Medrash, H = The House
* Light Candles by 4:39
* Mincha: 4:40 (B), 4:35 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 4:35 (B), 4:30 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends: 5:39
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Minyan Rabbi Postelnek
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura Rabbi Postelnek
* Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Rosenbaum
* The Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by Faith, Sahra & Yale Ginsburg and the extended Ginsburg Family to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Prof. Gilbert J. Ginsburg, Gershon Yosef Ben Yisroel Moshe, and by the Millen Family to commemorate the 2nd Yahrzeit of Rabbi William Millen, HaRav Yitzchak Zev Ben Pinchas.
* The Shul Kiddush is sponsored by the Ginsburg Family to commemorate the Yarhrzeit of Gilbert Ginsburg, Gershon Yosef Ben Yisroel Moshe, and by Sara Malka & Rabbi Menachem Winter and Family in gratitude to Rabbi and Mrs. Rosenbaum and the entire Shomrai community for welcoming them so warmly and being a home for them during their time in Kemp Mill.
* Any person eligible for a fully FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine (16 years of age or older), but who chooses to not be vaccinated may attend YISE Minyanim and events with the following guidelines. Unvaccinated individuals must remain masked at all times while in the Shul building, including at Kiddushes and/or other events containing food. Masks may not be removed to eat or drink. Exceptions will be made for private functions being held at the Shul, but that are not Shul sponsored events.
* Anyone with any of the following symptoms should not come to shul: fever of 100.4 degrees or higher, chills, muscle aches, sore throat, severe cough, headache, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, congestion or runny nose, or new loss of sense of taste or smell. If you have tested positive for COVID, you should follow the CDC guidelines.
* Masks are now optional for vaccinated adults and for children under 16.
* There are no social distancing requirements in the YISE building.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
YISE Youth Announcements
Teen Minyan – The Teen Minyan, led by Rabbi Moshe Holzer, meets at 9:15 AM every Shabbos in The House next to the Shul. Kiddush is served after Davening.
Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, November 12, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends. Age 18-36 months (Mommy & me) in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 2-5 years (drop off) in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk to the Yeshiva. Special program this Shabbos for Veterans Day – see flyer for details. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com
Shabbos Group for 5th and 6th Grade Girls will gather in the front yard of The House next to the Shul promptly at 10 am and go inside together. See flyer for details.
Junior Congregation for boys in grades 4 – 6 with Jay Marcus Meet in the Lower Lobby at 9:55 and walk to the Yeshiva at 10:00. See flyer for details.
Calling All 5th and 6th Grade Boys!! Rabbi Rosenbaum is learning weekly with 5th and 6th grade boys one hour before Mincha in the YISE Social Hall, WILL RESUME IN THE SPRING.
Dor L'Dor – The Family Chevrusah-style Learning in a fun environment! First session will take place Motzei Shabbos, November 19, 7:00 PM in the Social Hall. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to sponsor. See flyer for details.
YISE Programs and Listings
Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura – A weekly Chabura in the Nesivos Shalom on the Parsha. Delve into the deeper dimensions of the Parsha and Holidays by learning the Nesivos Shalom's weekly insights. Begins at 8:55 AM Shabbos morning. This week's Shiur will be led by Rabbi Postelnek.
Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur – Following the Hashkamah Minyan, learning Maseches Sanhedrin, in the Small Beis Medrash. This week's Shiur will be led by Rabbi Rosenbaum.
Monthly Shalosh Seudos – First Shabbos of each month. To sponsor, contact Simi Franco at 301-593-4465, ext. 103, or email@example.com Volunteers are needed to set up and clean up. Contact Ethan Cohen at firstname.lastname@example.org to be part of the rotation.
Living Shabbos – Join YISE young professionals for a series on the laws of Shabbos with Rabbi Postelnek. Tuesdays, 8:15 PM – 9:00 PM, at the home of David & Tamara Goodman, 11611 Kemp Mill Road. For questions or to join the WhatsApp group contact Rabbi Postelnek at email@example.com Recordings available at https://wp.yise.org/living-shabbos
Hachnasat Sefer Torah Dedication by Feigy & Rabbi Tuvia Grauman, 10:00 AM on Sunday, November 20 starting at YGW Beis Medrash, followed by dancing the Torah to YISE and a Seudah. In case of inclement weather, the entire dedication will be at YISE. Watch your email for details.
YISE Youth Shabbos Morning Groups Coordinator Needed – You can make a real difference in our community and meet wonderful people at the same time. Position requires 2 hours on Shabbos morning plus planning time during the week. Generous salary. For more information , contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org or Esti Thurman at email@example.com
Ruach Minyan – Mark your calendars for the next Ruach Minyan, Friday, November 18, led by Dave Sloan! There will be a special story-telling program during part of Maariv with Susan Koss! Mincha in the Belonofsky Sanctuary, followed by Kabbalos Shabbos and Maariv in the Social Hall. Bring your family and invite your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic! For questions, contact Adam Bashein: 301-943-4370 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Bug Checking Seminar – Hands-on presentation with Rabbi Sholom Tendler of the Star-K has been postponed to Sunday, December 11. For more info, please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com See flyer for details.
Online YISE Cholim List – Go to https://wp.yise.org/cholim to add a name to the list. The list is used at the 8:45 Minyan on Monday, Thursday, and Shabbos. For questions about Mi Sheberach guidelines, contact Rabbi Rosenbaum. For other questions, contact Seth Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Kiddush Volunteers Needed from ALL Minyanim to help set up and clean up for Kiddushes on Shabbos morning. Times vary. Let us know when you are available. Contact Barbara Price at 301-332-8181.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, a part of YISE's Chesed Committee, provides assistance to families undergoing medical crises. For information, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at https://audio.yise.org
Thank you to the Shiurim Sponsors for this Past Week:
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Rochelle Dimont in memory of her grandmother, her Bubbe, Chaya Sarah Bat Avraham Zelig, Z"L, whose Yahrzeit is the 13th of Marcheshvan.
* Hannah & Robert Klein in memory of Daniel Katz, Z"L, son of Arline & Irving Katz and brother of Menashe and Shlomo Katz.
* Hannah & Robert Klein in memory of Lisa Landy, Z"L.
* Sue & Ray White in memory of Sue's mother, Sarah Bas Meir Eliyahu, Z"L.
Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in honor of Rabbi Grossman and all those who attend his Shiur.
8:45 Minyan Drasha
* The Millen Family to commemorate the 2nd Yahrzeit of Rabbi William Millen, HaRav Yitzchak Zev Ben Pinchas, Z"L.
* Debi & Max Rudmann and Elyse & Haim Gabay Leilui Nishmas The Cowboy, Natan Ben Ze'ev HaKohen.
9:15 Minyan Drasha
* Debi & Max Rudmann and Elyse & Haim Gabay Leilui Nishmas The Cowboy, Natan Ben Ze'ev HaKohen.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur, Shabbos Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
Please email email@example.com to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Options for in-person and remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM, Zoom A, will not take place on Monday, November 14.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM, Zoom A, will not take place on Sunday, November 13.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM breakfast, 9:45 AM. Shiurim:
* Illuminating Inquiries in Halacha – Rabbi Yitzchak Mandel
* Judaism 102: Fundamentals for the Experienced Jew – Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Navigating Navi: Sefer Yehoshua – Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Parsha Perspectives: An Exploration of Engaging Parsha Topics – Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info., contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom E.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom F.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter, Zoom D.
* SCP (Semichas Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM at YISE. Join the fastest growing Halacha learning program in the world! Register online at https://thegreaterwashingtoncommunitykollel.com/scp See flyer for details.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:20 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* Chavrusa Learning – Monday nights in the Social Hall, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM For more information, contact Rabbi Levy 240-423-8810.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Mondays at 9:00 AM, studying Parashas Hashavua, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", in-person in the Small Beis Medrash and on Zoom G.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Metzia, Daf 3a. Wednesday evenings at 8:00 PM on Zoom H.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 or 929-205-6099 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 833 3477 1595, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 601 853 4021, passcode Winter (phone 667362)
Zoom E: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom F: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom H: ID: 849 3898 4989, passcode 161699
Community Programs & Listings
Kidney Donation Needed – Mr. Gerry Segelman, father of Micah Segelman, is in need of a kidney transplant. If you would consider being a kidney donor, please contact Rabbi Chaim Steinmetz at Renewal for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org or 718-431-9831 ext 209.
Siyum in Memory of Lisa Landy – Go to http://hadranalach.com/2514 to join a Siyum Mishnayos planned for the first Yahrzeit of Lisa Landy, Liba Hendel Bas Chayim.
From Rhodes to Zimbabwe, Africa – Sephardic history, culture, language (Ladino), community and culinary traditions between the Zambezi and Limpopo Rivers. Sunday, November 13, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom. Register at https://shindc.org/JAfrica1 SHIN-DC Jewish Communities in Africa Series. Questions? Email Sephardic Heritage International (SHIN-DC): email@example.com
Annual Rosenblatt Memorial Lecture – You are invited to attend a Virtual Program in memory of Rabbi Morris and Rebbetzin Esther Rosenblatt on Wednesday, November 16, 7:00 PM to 8:00 PM on Zoom. The featured guest is author and journalist Thomas L. Friedman, in conversation with Gary Rosenblatt. Zoom Meeting ID: 642 309 9281
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, November 16, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Bring Some Warmth To Your Friends & Neighbors in Need – Donate warm food items to the Capital Kosher Food Pantry's Cold Weather Food Drive. We need your help to stock up on soups, hot beverages, hot breakfast cereals and more for the coming cold months. All food donations should be shelf-stable, factory sealed, well within the use-by date, and be marked with Star-K, OU, CRC, OK or Kof-K certification. For complete details, please visit: https://www.capitalkosherpantry.org/cold-weather-food-drive
Alshich on the Parsha with Rabbi Levy – Shabbat afternoon between Mincha and Maariv in the Franco Beit Midrash.
Zoom Shiurim with Rabbi Levy – Monday through Friday on Zoom, Meeting ID: 636 563 5989. Alshich – 9:20 AM – 10:15 AM. Gemara Ribit 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM. Hilchot Lashon Hara 12:45 PM – 1:45 PM.
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT"L, with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Dirshu – Please join Dirshu, which began Bava Metzia on December 20. Shiur options at YGW: Monday – Friday, 5:45 AM (R. Reingold) or Monday – Thursday, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM (R. Cortell/R. Werner). About 2.5 Daf covered each week.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Siddur with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email email@example.com The class will resume on Wednesday, November 30.
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more info.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coachingto help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at email@example.com
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online weekdays via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM. Shabbos in-person, 7:30 AM in the YISE Social Hall.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 5:32 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 6:00 AM, Latest Netz: 6:56 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:20 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:24 PM, Earliest Shkia: 4:51 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim 5:38 PM
November 18 – 19, 2022 – 25 Marcheshvan 5783
Parshas Chayei Sarah/Mevorchim Hachodesh
* Light Candles by 4:33
* Mincha: 4:35 (B), 4:30 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 4:30 (B), 4:25 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 5:34
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, November 16 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday: 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager