Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shuvah Shorts
Sept. 30 – Oct. 1, 2022 – 6 Tishrei 5783 – Parshas Vayeilech, Light Candles by 6:34 – Havdalah 7:31
October 4-5, 2022 – 10 Tishrei 5783 – Yom Kippur, Light Candles by 6:27 – Havdalah 7:24
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored by Joey Franco -Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Tzivia Bramson on the engagement of her grandson Noach Weinstein to Henny Beer of Lakewood. Mazal Tov to the parents Renee & Mayer Weinstein and to Tzipora & Moshe Beer.
* Great-grandmother Shonny Kugler and grandparents Terumah & BenZion Kugler and family on the birth of a girl to her grandchildren Dassi & Yosef Kugler.
* Kitty Wertheimer on the passing of her brother, Dr. Gerald Elkan. The funeral took place in Raleigh, NC. Kitty will observe Shiva from Sunday morning through Tuesdayafternoon at 1111 University Blvd W., Apt. 216. Visitors are requested Sunday and Monday 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM, 2:00 PM – 5:00 PM and 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM, and on Tuesday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM.
Minyan locations are B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall, LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis Medrash, H = The House
* Light Candles by 6:34
* Mincha: 6:35 (B), 6:30 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 6:00 (B), 5:55 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends: 7:31
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura Rabbi Postelnek
There are no kiddushes this Shabbos.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Shabbos Shuvah Drasha will take place this Shabbos at 6:25 PM in the Belonofsky Sanctuary.
* Annual Teshuva Drasha with Rabbi Yissocher Frand will take place on Monday, October 3, at 8:30 PM in the Belonofsky Sanctuary. This year's Drasha is dedicated in memory of Rabbi Joseph Friedman Z"L, the founder of this event 20 years ago. See flyer for details.
Yom Kippur Schedule
Tuesday, October 4:
* Mincha: 3:00 (B, S, Sephardi, LBM)
* Light Candles by 6:27
* Kol Nidre: 6:30 (B, S, Sephardi, LBM)
Wednesday, October 5:
* Shacharis: 8:00 (B, S, Sephardi, LBM)
* Yizkor not before: 10:45 (B, S)
* Yom Kippur ends: 7:24
* Any person eligible for a fully FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine (16 years of age or older), but who chooses to not be vaccinated may attend YISE Minyanim and events with the following guidelines. Unvaccinated individuals must remain masked at all times while in the Shul building, including at Kiddushes and/or other events containing food. Masks may not be removed to eat or drink. Exceptions will be made for private functions being held at the Shul, but that are not Shul sponsored events.
* Anyone with any of the following symptoms should not come to shul: fever of 100.4 degrees or higher, chills, muscle aches, sore throat, severe cough, headache, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, congestion or runny nose, or new loss of sense of taste or smell. If you have tested positive for COVID, you should follow the CDC guidelines.
* Masks are now optional for vaccinated adults and for children under 16.
* There are no social distancing requirements in the YISE building.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
YISE Youth Announcements
Teen Minyan – The Teen Minyan, led by Rabbi Moshe Holzer, meets at 9:15 AM every Shabbos in The House next to the Shul. Kiddush is served after davening.
Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, October 1, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends. Age 18-36 months (Mommy & me) in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 2-5 years (drop off) in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk to the Yeshiva. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Shabbos Group for 5th and 6th Grade Girls will gather in the front yard of The House next to the Shul promptly at 10 am and go inside together. See flyer for details.
Junior Congregation for boys in grades 4 – 6 with Jay Marcus Meet in the Lower Lobby at 9:55 and walk to the Yeshiva at 10:00.
Calling All Rising 5th and 6th Grade Boys!! Rabbi Rosenbaum is learning weekly with rising 5th and 6th grade boys one hour before Mincha in the YISE Social Hall. Bring your hard questions! Refreshments will be served. The Shiur will resume on October 8.
Simchas Torah Schmooze and Ice Cream with Rebbetzin Aliza Postelnek for middle school girls on Simchas Torah morning, 10:35 AM – 11:15 AM at The House. See flyer for details.
YISE Programs and Listings
Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura – A weekly Chabura in the Nesivos Shalom on the Parsha. Delve into the deeper dimensions of the Parsha and Holidays by learning the Nesivos Shalom's weekly insights. Begins at 8:55 AM Shabbos morning. The Shiur will be given by Rabbi Postelnek this Shabbos.
Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur – Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman will give the Gemara Shiur after the Hashkamah Minyan, learning Maseches Sanhedrin, in the Small Beis Medrash.
Lulavim & Esrogim – Pickup will be at YISE on Thursday, October 6, 4:00 PM – 9:00 PM. Payment at pickup – check payable to Josh Breitstein, or cash.
Shul Sukkah – Volunteers are needed to erect the Shul Sukkah. Do a Mitzvah and come to the Shul on Thursday, October 6, the day after Yom Kippur, at 4:30 PM to help erect the Sukkah. In the event of rain, the Sukkah will be built on Sunday, October 9, at 10:30 AM. For more information contact Stuart Cohen, 301-943-5153 or email@example.com
Come Join Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee: Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, October 3, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more info., contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Simchas Torah Day Learning for Women – Back by popular demand! Mrs. Sharon Freundel will discuss "The Last 8 Verses of the Torah," and Mrs. Atara Rosenbaum will discuss "With One Heart: Learning to Feel Connected to Every Jew," in the Belonofsky Sanctuary on Simchas Torah morning, Tuesday, October 18, from 10:00 AM to 11:15 AM, sponsored by YISE Women's Learning Initiative.
Living Shabbos – Join YISE young professionals for a series on the laws of Shabbos with Rabbi Postelnek. Tuesdays, 8:15 PM – 9:00 PM, at the home of David & Tamara Goodman, 11611 Kemp Mill Road. For questions or to join the WhatsApp group contact Rabbi Postelnek at email@example.com Recordings available at https://wp.yise.org/living-shabbos The Shiur will resume after Sukkos, on Tuesday, October 25.
Kristallnacht Commemoration Program – Featuring Ruth Zimbler, presented by YISE and KMS on Sunday, October 30, 7:30 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 655 813 1022, Passcode: 365636. See flyer for details.
Bug Checking Seminar – Hands-on presentation with Rabbi Sholom Tendler of the Star-K. Sunday, November 6, 8:00 PM – 9:30 PM in the Social Hall and on Zoom A. Open to men and women. Co-sponsored by YISE, KMS, and Ohr HaTorah. For more info, please contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Online YISE Cholim List – Go to https://wp.yise.org/cholim to add a name to the list. The list is used at the 8:45 Minyan on Monday, Thursday, and Shabbos. For questions about Mi Sheberach guidelines, contact Rabbi Rosenbaum. For other questions contact Seth Katz at email@example.com
Kiddush Volunteers Needed from ALL Minyanim to help set up and clean up for Kiddushes on Shabbos morning. Times vary. Let us know when you are available. Contact Barbara Price at 301-332-8181.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, a part of YISE's Chesed Committee, has a current need at this time. Please sign up to volunteer if you can. For more information or if you need help signing up, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
* Yad Yehuda Yamim Nora'im Appeal – Yad Yehuda plans to spend over $90,000 to feed hundreds of individuals in need across our community on Shabbos and Yom Tov between Rosh Hashanah and Sukkos, and provide Lulav & Esrog sets as needed. These expenditures are beyond the assistance we provide recipient households each month. You can help bring Simchas Yom Tov to your neighbors by donating generously at www.yadyehuda.org
* Franco Foundation Rosh Hashanah/Yom Kippur Appeal – The Franco Foundation reaches individuals and families in our community unable to make ends meet. Over the years, and entirely with our local community's support, the Foundation has provided a safety net to cover their basic needs. The Foundation absorbs all administrative expenses, so your entire contribution goes to those in need. Please send your taxdeductible donation today to: The Franco Foundation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, Silver Spring, MD 20902 or through PayPal, at firstname.lastname@example.org Tax ID: 52-2172267. You can also email Allan at email@example.com
* Yom Tov Food Drive – Please contribute food to the Capital Kosher Pantry's Pre-Rosh Hashanah Food Drive. Suggested items include honey bears, grape juice, soup mix, gefilte fish, pareve chocolate chips, canned olives, Yahrzeit candles, Shabbos candles, tea lights and Havdalah candles. Drop off at Shalom Kosher, Moti's Market, KMS, YISE or at the Capital Kosher Pantry, 1910 University Blvd. W., Silver Spring, MD 20902.
Thank you to the Shiurim Sponsors for this Past Week:
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in memory of Rabbi Hyatt, Z"L, and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Cindy, Joel and Ilana Bauman in memory of Cindy's brothers, on the 5th of Tishrei, Louis Cooper, Levi Yitzchak Ben Shaul Hakohen and Allan Cooper, Aharon Leib Ben Shaul Hakohen.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Shabbos Shuva Drasha
* Marilyn & Judd Lifschitz
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Simi & Sammy Franco and Sahra & Yale Ginsburg wish a happy belated birthday to Rabbi Rosenbaum whose birthday was this past week! Ad Me'ah V'Esrim!
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur, Shabbos Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
4. Yom Tov Drasha Sponsorships are $72 each.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Options for in-person and remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM, Zoom A, will not take place on Tuesday, October 4, and Wednesday, October 5.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM (note new time), Zoom A, will not take place on Tuesday, October 4, and Wednesday, October 5.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A, will resume on Friday, October 7.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A, will resume on Wednesday, October 26.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A, will resume on Wednesday, October 19.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM breakfast, 9:45 AM. Shiurim:
* Illuminating Inquiries in Halacha – Rabbi Yitzchak Mandel
* Judaism 102: Fundamentals for the Experienced Jew – Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Navigating Navi: Sefer Yehoshua – Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Parsha Perspectives: An Exploration of Engaging Parsha Topics – Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info., contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara – Zoom D.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom E, will resume after Sukkos.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom F, will resume after Sukkos.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter, will resume after Sukkos.
* SCP (Semichat Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM. Join the fastest growing Halacha learning program in the world! Now back in person at YISE. Register at gwckollel.org/scp New session will start on Tuesday, November 1.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:20 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* Chavrusa Learning – Monday nights in the Social Hall, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM For more information, contact Rabbi Levy 240-423- 8810.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Mondays at 9:00 AM, studyingParashas Hashavua, Zoom B, will resume on Monday, October 24.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "Yamim Noraim and the Parsha", in-person in the Small Beis Medrash and on Zoom G.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Metzia. Wednesday evenings on Zoom, will resume on Wednesday, October 26.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 or 929-205-6099 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 833 3477 1595, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 349 754 2180, password Learn
Zoom E: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom F: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Community Programs & Listings
Erev Yom Kippur Mikvah for Men – The Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington is pleased to offer use of the Wallerstein Mikvah in Kemp Mill to men on Erev Yom Kippur, 7:30 AM – 2:00 PM. Volunteers are needed as well. Please see https://mikvahemunah.com/men for all the info. To volunteer, contact Howie Schulman at 301-213- 2429 (call or text) or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Kidney Donation Needed – Mr. Gerry Segelman, father of Micah Segelman, is in need of a kidney transplant. If you would consider being a kidney donor, please contact Rabbi Chaim Steinmetz at Renewal for more information at email@example.com or 718-431-9831 ext 209.
Sukkah Building – The YGW Boys' senior class of 2023 is building and taking down Sukkahs to raise money for their Israel trip. For times and prices, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or text (240)-381-1802.
Repair the Sea – Every year, approximately six million tons of human-made trash enter the water, posing health and safety hazards to the animals that call the sea their home. Marine debris is a blatant violation of the fundamental Jewish ethical principle Bal Tashchit. Repair the Sea organizes a local clean-up on the Sunday between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. Visit https://www.repairthesea.org/rt2022 Select Register as Participant Select Maryland – Silver Spring – One Ocean Scuba to be added to our team. October 2, 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM at Arcola Local Park 11501 Channing Drive.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, October 19, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a moreconfident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Camp Chaverim Early Bird Registration for 2023 is now open! Lock in your spot today by signing up at chaverimovernight.com
Alshich on the Parsha with Rabbi Levy – Shabbat afternoon between Mincha and Maariv in the Franco Beit Midrash.
Zoom Shiurim with Rabbi Levy – Monday through Friday on Zoom, Meeting ID: 636 563 5989. Alshich – 9:20 AM – 10:15 AM. Gemara Ribit 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM. Hilchot Lashon Hara 12:45 PM – 1:45 PM.
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more info.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at email@example.com
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online weekdays via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM. Shabbos in-person 1-1/2 hours before the main YISE Mincha, at the Yeshiva.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Tuesday, Oct. 4 -Erev Yom Kippur
Wednesday, Oct. 5 – Yom Kippur
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 5:52 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 6:19 AM, Latest Netz: 7:11 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 10:01 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:28 PM, Earliest Shkia: 6:39 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim 7:29 PM
October 7 – 8, 2022 – 13 Tishrei 5783
* Light Candles by 6:23
* Mincha: 6:25 (B), 6:20 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 6:20 (B), 6:15 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 7:20
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Thursday, October 6 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Hours: Monday/Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Tuesday (Erev Yom Kippur)/Friday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM, Wednesday – Closed – Yom Kippur
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager