Included in the PDF are the Likutei Torah, Hamaayan, Israel Report and Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shuvah Shorts
September 10-11, 2021 – 5 Tishrei 5782 – Vayeilech – Light Candles by 7:06 – Havdalah 8:03
September 15-16, 2021 – 10 Tishrei 5782 – Yom Kippur – Light Candles by 6:57 – Havdalah 7:55
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Robin and Lawton Cooper and family in honor of Lawton's retirement from the NIH and Aliyah Shniah. Please stay in touch!
Minyan locations are listed as B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall. All Sephardi Minyanim take place in the Beit Medrash.
* Light Candles by 7:06
* Mincha: 7:10 (B), 7:05 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 6:35 (B), 6:30 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 8:03
Shabbos Shuvah Drasha:
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Shbbos Shuvah Drasha will take place in the Belonofsky Sanctuary at 7:00 PM. The Shabbos Shuvah Drasha is sponsored by:
* Cindy, Joel and Ilana Bauman in memory of Cindy's beloved brothers, Louis Cooper and Allan Cooper, Levi Yitzchak ben Shaul Hakohen and Aharon Leib ben Shaul Hakohen.
* Marilyn and Judah Lifschitz
Yom Kippur Schedule
* Mincha: 3:00 (B, S, Sephardi)
* Light Candles by 6:57
* Kol Nidre: 7:00 (B, S, Sephardi)
* Shacharis: 8:00 (B, S, Sephardi)
* Yizkor not before 10:45
* Yom Kippur ends: 7:55
* Montgomery County rules allow for a public speaker or performer to remove his mask as long as no one is within six feet. Due to the lengthy and physically taxing roles of Chazanim on Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, and upon consultation with our medical advisor, YISE is allowing Chazanim to take off their masks specifically on these days. Rabbi Rosenbaum will do the same for his Shabbos Shuvah Drasha, as will Rabbi Frand for his annual Drasha Monday evening.
* Masks are required for ALL people in the YISE Arcola building, whether vaccinated or unvaccinated, with the exception of children under the age of 2.
* There are no social distancing requirements in the YISE building. There are no in-person Kiddushes at this time.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15- minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday 9:30 AM, Zoom A, will not take place on Wednesday or Thursday.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15- minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday 7:30 PM, Zoom A. Note new time. This Shiur will resume Sunday, September 19.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A, will resume Friday, September 17.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A, will resume October 6.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A, will resume October 6.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Hillel Shaps – Unraveling the Navi: Melachim Aleph
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info., contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara – in person (Social Hall) and on Zoom F, will resume September 13.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom D, will resume October 6.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom H, will resume October 7. * Thursdays: Rabbi Grossman – Parshas Hashavua, 8:30 PM, Zoom D, will resume after Sukkos.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys, will resume after Sukkos.
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 8:45 PM with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, now taking place in person in the Social Hall. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com Registration required at gwckollel.org/scp
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Monday – Parasha, Tuesday – Halachos, 8:45 AM, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, learning concepts of Elul and Yamim Noraim, Zoom E, will resume on September 14. "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", will resume October 5.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Kama 7th Perek Merubah. Wednesday evenings, Zoom G, will resume after Sukkos, time to be announced.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom E: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom F: ID: 349 754 2180, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
YISE Youth Announcements
Shabbos Groups will take place this week from 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM, indoors. Masks required indoors for age 2+. Age 18-35 months will be located in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 3-5 years will meet in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk over to the Yeshiva. For more information, contact Michal Merkin, YISE Youth groups coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE Teen Minyan is Back! Welcome to our new minyan coordinator, Rabbi Moshe Holzer. All teens are welcome to join us this Shabbos at 9:15 AM on the Peppers' deck, 1101 North Belgrade Road. See flyer for details.
Rosh Hashanah Gift Bags – Thank you to our sponsors and to the volunteers that assembled, delivered and organized the gift bags: Janet Deneroff, Sylvia Dorfman, Esther Edeson, Gloria Feldman, Hadassah, Simi, and Rena Franco, Daniel Ginsburg, Yale Ginsburg, Bayla Goodman, Esther Kaplan, Manasseh Katz, Seth Katz, Leora Kor, Larry Korb, Tuvia Lazar, Carol Lazar, Debbie Rogal, Max Rudmann, Tamar Schmerling, Judy, Shayna & Joey Taragin, Sue White. See separate page for sponsors.
The Annual Teshuva Drasha – Rabbi Yissocher Frand – Monday, September 13, 8:30 PM. See flyer for details.
The Yizkor Guide will be available in Shul. If anyone would like a copy to use at home, please contact Simi at email@example.com Do a Mitzvah, Help Build the Shul's Sukkah! Sunday, September 19. The specific time is to be determined. Help is especially welcome from those who plan to use it. COVID-19 restrictions will be in place for the use, as well as the construction, of the Sukkah. Please contact Stuart Cohen to volunteer at 301-943-5153 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Order Lulavim and Esrogim from YISE – Pickup will be on Sunday, September 19, 10:00 AM – 8:00 PM. Due to COVID-19 concerns, individual selection of Esrogim will not be possible. If you have questions about your order or if you are unable to pick up at the designated time, please contact email@example.com or call Josh Breitstein at 301-346-7838 as soon as possible to make arrangements.
YISE Women's Learning Initiative will present learning for women on Simchas Torah, Wednesday, September 29. Time and location will be announced. Mrs. Sharon Freundel will speak on "Psalm 90: Making the Most of Every Day," and Mrs. Atara Rosenbaum will speak on "More of the Same? The Challenge and Gift of Consistency."
Kiddush in a Bag! While we are not yet back to regular in-Shul Kiddushes, we are happy to now offer Kiddush in a Bag for the 8:45 and 9:15 Minyanim. To sponsor the Kiddush in a Bag, contact Simi Franco at firstname.lastname@example.org
Rabbi Koss's Jewish History Class will not take place in September. It will resume again in October. Shana Tova! Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax-deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
* Simi & Sammy Franco wish Josh Breitstein a happy birthday on Sunday!
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
Please email email@example.com to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in honor of a Refuah Sheleimah to Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur.
Community Programs & Listings
Tefilah Mehalev – Those who would like to get into the High Holiday spirit are encouraged to listen to the beautiful tracks kindly recorded last year by Judd Lifschitz on his Tefilah Mehalev website www.yomtovnusach.com
Delighting In Coming Home – a special pre-Yom Kippur presentation for women by Mrs. Sara Malka Winter. Sunday, September 12, 8:15 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 601 853 4021 Password: Winter Dial-in number: 301-715-8592 Phone Passcode: 667362
The Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington (MES) is pleased to offer use of the Wallerstein Mikvah in Kemp Mill to men on Erev Yom Kippur. One of several major changes from previous years is that there will be no showering at the Mikvah. It's important to check our website in advance for all the new rules and information: https://mikvahemunah.com/men/ Thanks to all those who volunteered.
The Golden Network – Pre-Yom Kippur Class: The Key to a Meaningful Yom Kippur Mussaf – Mr. Alan Sussman. Sunday, September 12, 10:00 AM, Zoom B. For more information please call 301-732-1773, firstname.lastname@example.org
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Monday, September 13, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Need help building your Sukkah? YGW Senior class will put up and take down your Sukkah. Fundraiser for their Israel trip. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Capital Kosher Pantry Pre-Yom Tov Collection – Help us bring Simchas Yom Tov to our friends and neighbors! Please donate:
* Hygiene items; hand soap, toothbrushes, toothpaste, mouthwash, floss, deodorant
* Yom Tov items: grape juice, honey, Shabbos candles, Havdalah candles, Yahrzeit candles
Drop-off locations: 1212 North Belgrade Road and Yad Yehuda, 1910 University Blvd. West. Financial donations at yadyehuda.org/donate
Yad Yehuda Yomim Noraim Appeal – Between Rosh Hashanah and Sukkot, Yad Yehuda plans, B'ezrat Hashem, to distribute over $85,000 to provide Shabbos and Yom Tov meals and Lulav and Etrog sets as needed to households across our community who are struggling financially. These Yom Tov expenses are above and beyond the ongoing financial assistance we provide our recipient households every single month. Please help us bring Simchat Yom Tov to your fellow community members by donating generously at yadyehuda.org
Rosh Hashanah/Yom Kippur/Franco Foundation Appeal – More of our community, hurt by COVID-19, rely on the Foundation to cover basic needs, such as rent, mortgage and utilities. Your entire donations go to support this safety net. Please send today to: The Franco Foundation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, Silver Spring, MD 20902, or through Paypal, at email@example.com Tax ID: 52-2172267
Lulav and Etrog sets – The Franco Foundation will be offering to our local community Lulav and Etrog sets to those who are struggling financially. Please contact Allan Franco at firstname.lastname@example.org Your information will remain confidential. Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact email@example.com, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more information.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? Izun is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Kemp Mill Village is merging into the larger, well-established Silver Spring Village (SSV) as of September 1. All current members will have several additional months to try out the many services offered by Silver Spring Village. Non-members will also be able to experience a trial period to decide if they want to join. To learn more about SSV's varied offerings, visit https://silverspringvillage.org
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
September 15/16 – Yom Kippur
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar: 5:32 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 6:00 AM, Latest Netz: 6:53 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:55 AM,
Earliest Mincha: 1:36 PM, Earliest Shkia: 7:11 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 8:01 PM
September 17 – 18, 2021 – 12 Tishrei 5782
* Light Candles by 6:54
* Mincha: 6:55 (B), 6:50 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 6:50 (B), 6:45 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 7:51
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, September 15 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com Website: www.yise.org
Office Hours: Monday/Tuesday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM Wednesday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM; Closed Thursday; Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager