Young Israel Shomrai Emunah -Shabbos Shorts
January 6 – 7, 2023 – 14 Teves 5783 – Parshas Vayechi
Light Candles by 4:42 – Havdalah 5:46
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored by grateful parents/grandparents as a thank you to the talented and dedicated administrators and staff of the Young Israel Shomrai Emunah's Preschool for caring and educating our children and grandchildren over the past 60 years and by
Mindy & Shmuel Tolchinsky in honor of Josh Katz, a true Ba'al Chesed.
* Dr. Caroline & Mr. Eric Namrow on the engagement of their daughter, Dalya, to Nati Jacoby, son of Elana & Zev Jacoby of Miami Beach, Florida. Mazal Tov also to siblings Shevi & Jacob, Kira & Zev, Chani, and Yossi.
* Karen & Howie Schulman on the marriage of their granddaughter Rochel Kramer, daughter of Miri & Rabbi Daniel Kramer, to Menachem Eizenstat, son of Jessica & Jay Eizenstat. Mazal Tov also to great-grandmother Florence Binstock Avigan, grandparents Marcia Meth, Risa Gold and Ambassador Stuart Eizenstat and all of the siblings, aunts, uncles & cousins.
* Michael Gabai on the passing of his mother, Natalie Gabai. Shiva is being observed at 605 Winona Court through Tuesday morning. Shacharit Sunday, Monday and Tuesday – 7:30 AM, Mincha/Maariv Sunday and Monday – 4:40 PM. The family requests no visitors 12 Noon – 1:00 PM, 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM or after 8:00 PM. Sign up for Siyum Mishnayot at https://www.lzechernishmas.com/signup.php?id=11044
* Sheldon Klein on the passing of his step-sister, Donna Pearlman, Sarah Raizel Bat Yosef Hacohen. Shiva is being observed in Detroit. Sheldonmay be reached during Shiva at 202-321-6404.
* Greg Snyder on the passing of his father, Jerry Snyder. Shiva is being observed at 1103 North Belgrade Road through Monday morning. Shacharis Sunday – 7:30 AM, Monday – 6:45 AM, Mincha/Maariv Sunday – 4:40PM. The family requests no visitors 12 Noon – 1:30 PM, 6:00 PM – 7:30 PM or after 9:00 PM. Sign up for Siyum Mishnayos at https://hadranalach.com/2612
Minyan locations are B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall, LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis Medrash, H = The House
* Light Candles by 4:42
* Mincha: 4:45 (B), 4:40 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 4:25 (B), 4:20 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends: 5:46
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
YISE is participating in the national program sponsored by NASCK of shuls discussing end of life matters this Shabbos. Rabbi Rosenbaum will speak at the 8:45 minyan about The Jewish Perspective on End of Life Decisions.
* 9:15 Minyan Rabbi Postelnek
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura Rabbi Postelnek
* The Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by the Hashkamah Minyan Group.
* The Shul Kiddush is sponsored by the Grauman & Berner Families in celebration of their special anniversaries and by the Edeson & Stern Families on the 4th Yahrzeit, 19 Teves, of their beloved husband, father, grandfather and brother, Jacob S. Edeson, Yaakov Shlomo Ben Yosef Nosson, Z"L.
* The Shalosh Seudos is sponsored by Esther & David Hornestay in memory of David's father, Abraham Hornestay, Avraham Aryeh Ben Chaim Shlomo Hakohen , Z"L, and by Violet Battat and family in honor of the 7th Yahrzeit of her grandfather, Reuben Ben Tifaha.
* People experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 or other transmissible illnesses should not attend prayer, learning, social or other events at the Shul.
* If you have tested positive for COVID-19, please follow CDC guidelines before returning to Shul.
YISE Youth Announcements
Teen Minyan – The Teen Minyan, led by Rabbi Moshe Holzer, meets at 9:15 AM every Shabbos in The House next to the Shul. Kiddush is served after Davening.
Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, January 7, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends. Age 18-36 months (Mommy & me) in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 2-5 years (drop off) in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk to the Yeshiva. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Shabbos Group for 5th and 6th Grade Girls will gather in the front yard of The House next to the Shul promptly at 10 am and go inside together. See flyer for details.
Junior Congregation for boys in grades 4 – 6 with Jay Marcus. Meet in the Lower Lobby at 9:55 and walk to the Yeshiva at 10:00. See flyer for details.
Dor L'Dor – The Family Chevrusah-style Learning in a fun environment! The next session will take place Motzei Shabbos, January 14, 7:15 PM in the Social Hall. Please email email@example.com if you would like to sponsor. See flyer for details.
YISE Programs and Listings
Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura – A weekly Chabura on the Parsha, now learning the Kedushas Levi. Delve into the deeper dimensions of the Parsha and Holidays by learning the Kedushas Levi's weekly insights. Begins at 8:55 AM Shabbos morning. This week's Shiur will be led by Rabbi Postelnek. See flyer for details.
Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur – Following the Hashkamah Minyan, learning Maseches Sanhedrin, in the Small Beis Medrash. This week's Shiur will be led by Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
Pedestrian Safety Class – Thursday, January 12, 7:00 PM in the Social Hall. MCPD Officer Eli Dunham will present a class for the Kemp Mill Community on tools and tips to keep you and your families safe as you walk through our neighborhood.. See flyer for details.
Special Guest Scholar on Friday evening, January 13, 8:00 PM in the Belonfsky Sanctuary. Rabbi Yitzchak Etshalom, renowned Los Angeles-based educator, author of "Between the Lines of the Bible: Recapturing the Full Meaning of Biblical Text" and an upcoming commentary on Sefer Amos, will speak on "Unraveling the Mystery of Moshe's Encounters at the Lodge." Light refreshments to follow Shiur.
An Evening of Pizza and Friends: Join YISE Young Professionals to make your own pizza at Ben Yehuda Pizza on Sunday, January 29, 8:00 PM. $17 person/$30 couple. For more information go to www.yise.org/pizza See flyer for details.
Save the Date! GWCK Shabbaton at YISE, Shabbos Parshas Yisro , February 10 – 11. Watch your email for details.
Save the Date for the 2023 YISE Gala Banquet – Sunday, February 26. Honoring Stuart & Judy Rosenthal, Josh & Sara Katz, and the 2023 high school graduating seniors who have served our congregation's youth.
Monthly Shalosh Seudos – First Shabbos of each month. To sponsor, contact Simi Franco at 301-593-4465, ext. 103, or firstname.lastname@example.org Volunteers are needed to set up and clean up. Contact Ethan Cohen at email@example.com to be part of the rotation. See flyer for details.
Ask the Rabbi – Come join our virtual, interactive monthly program featuring different Halachic topics! This month's topic: Toveling and Kashering utensils, will take place on Tuesday, January 31, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM on Zoom A. The first 45 minutes is for Shailos submitted in advance and the last 15 minutes is for Q&A. Send in your questions to: AskTheRabbi@yise.org by Sunday, January 29. For more info. and to submit questions by phone or anonymously, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org To sponsor the program, contact the YISE office. See flyer for details.
Kiddush Volunteers Needed from ALL Minyanim to help set up and clean up for Kiddushes on Shabbos morning. Times vary. Let us know when you are available. Contact Barbara Price at 301-332-8181.
Online YISE Cholim List – Go to https://wp.yise.org/cholim to add a name to the list. The list is used at the 8:45 Minyan on Monday, Thursday, and Shabbos. For questions about Mi Sheberach guidelines, contact Rabbi Rosenbaum. For other questions, contact Seth Katz at email@example.com
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, a part of YISE's Chesed Committee, provides assistance to families undergoing medical crises. For information, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at https://audio.yise.org
Thank you to the Shiurim Sponsors for this Past Week:
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in memory of Rabbi Hyatt, Z"L, and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur and in memory of parents, Avraham Ben Tzvi HaLevi & Ada Bas Menachem Aryeh, Z"L, and Rabbi Hillel & Mrs. Myrna Klavan, Z"L.
Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray and Chani & Jay Parness in honor of Rabbi Grossman and all those who attend his Shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur
* Harriet & Ron Sheinson in memory of Harriet's mother, Clara Krasnow, Krendal Elka bas Binyamin Halevi, Z"L.
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
YISE continues to offer a number of different in-person and virtual learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur, Shabbos Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
Please email email@example.com to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Options for in-person and remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM, Zoom A, will not meet on Monday, January 9.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM, Zoom A, will not meet on Sunday, January 8.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A, will resume on Sunday, January 29.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM breakfast, 9:45 AM. Shiurim:
* Illuminating Inquiries in Halacha – Rabbi Yitzchak Mandel
* Judaism 102: Fundamentals for the Experienced Jew – Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Navigating Navi: Sefer Yehoshua – Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Parsha Perspectives: An Exploration of Engaging Parsha Topics – Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info., contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom E.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom F.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys – Zoom D.
* SCP (Semichas Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM at YISE. Join the fastest growing Halacha learning program in the world! Register online at https://thegreaterwashingtoncommunitykollel.com/scp See flyer for details.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:20 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* Chavrusa Learning – Monday nights in the Social Hall, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM. For more information, contact Rabbi Levy at 240-423-8810.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Mondays at 8:45 AM, studying Parashas Hashavua, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", in-person in the Small Beis Medrash and on Zoom G.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Metzia, Daf 3a. Wednesday evenings at 8:00 PM on Zoom H.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 or 929-205-6099 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 833 3477 1595, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 601 853 4021, passcode Winter (phone 667362)
Zoom E: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom F: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom H: ID: 849 3898 4989, passcode 161699
Community Programs & Listings
Kidney Donation Needed – Mr. Gerry Segelman, father of Micah Segelman, is in need of a kidney transplant. If you would consider being a kidney donor, please contact Rabbi Chaim Steinmetz at Renewal for more information at email@example.com or 718-431-9831 ext 209.
Help Stop Cremation – NACSK is presenting Zoom workshops to give people the tools to convince others to not get cremated upon passing. The workshops will take place on Motzei Shabbos, January 7, at 9:00 PM, and on Sunday, January 8, at 1:00 PM. Go to endcremation.org for details.
The Capital Closet will be open to the community this Sunday, January 8, from 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM. Come peruse our beautiful, curated selection of clothing for women, men, and children, as well as Torah School uniforms! Our address is 1910 University Blvd, West in Silver Spring. We're in the brick house at the back of the parking lot. There is no charge for items in The Capital Closet, but donations to Yad Yehuda are always appreciated. We are unable to accept clothing donations at this time, with the exception of Torah School uniforms in pristine condition or new coats. For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Support Yad Yehuda – The need for assistance is great right now and Yad Yehuda needs your help to meet its commitments to our friends and neighbors in need.. Please count the money in your Tzedakah box and donate that amount, or any amount, online at www.yadyehuda.org/donate or by check: Yad Yehuda, 812 Hyde Court, Silver Spring, MD 20902. Your tax-deductible contribution is deeply appreciated.
Rays of Wisdom – Life Lessons From Pirkei Avos – Greater Washington Community Kollel invites women of the community to a weekday morning text-based Chaburah led by Mrs. Channah Cohen. Mondays at 9:30 AM in Kemp Mill. First Chaburah on January 23 at the home of Mrs. Aviva Werner, 815 Lamberton Drive. To be added to a list for information and weekly location, email email@example.com or call 773-219-5397.
Ko-ach Sports Baseball and Basketball Registration is Now Open – Now in our 7th year! A Sunday sports program for boys K – 6th grade. To register, go to www.Ko-achSports.com Basketball starts Sunday, January 29. Baseball starts Sunday, March 26. Early bird and sibling discounts available! Play Ball!
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, January 11, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Siyum in Memory of Art Sapper – Go to https://hadranalach.com/2568 to join a Siyum Mishnayos planned for the first Yahrzeit of Art Sapper on November 27, Kislev 14, 5784.
Mikvah Emunah Society Membership Campaign is underway. It's time to renew or become a member of MES! Regardless of age, gender, or whether you currently use the Mikvah, the community has a responsibility for all its members' spiritual and physical needs. Membership is $360 a year ($30 per month), but all donations are needed and appreciated. If $360 is beyond your ability, please consider becoming a supporting member for $180 or make a contribution at a level that is meaningful for you. Pay online at https://mikvahemunah.com/membership
Alshich on the Parsha with Rabbi Levy – Shabbat afternoon between Mincha and Maariv in the Franco Beit Midrash.
Zoom Shiurim with Rabbi Levy – Monday through Friday on Zoom, Meeting ID: 636 563 5989. Alshich – 9:20 AM – 10:15 AM. Gemara Ribit 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM. Hilchot Lashon Hara 12:45 PM – 1:45 PM.
In G-d We Trust – Exploring the relationship and balance between Relying on G-d/Bitachon & Human Endeavor/Hishtadlus, based on the teachings of 11th century scholar, Rabbeinu Bachya's Treatise on Trust – Shaar Habitachon. Wednesdays, 12:15 PM – 1:00 PM on Zoom, Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. To register, visit https://linksgw.org/classes
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT"L, with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact RabbiMoshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Dirshu – Please join Dirshu, currently learning Bava Metzia. Shiur options at YGW: Monday – Friday, 5:45 AM (R. Reingold) or Monday – Thursday, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM (R. Cortell/R. Werner), about 2.5 Daf covered each week.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Siddur with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email email@example.com
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more info.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at email@example.com
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online weekdays via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM. Shabbos in-person, 7:30 AM in the YISE Social Hall.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
* The Sephardi Minyan will meet at the Gabai home, 605 Winona Court, from Sunday morning through Tuesday morning.
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 6:02 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 6:30 AM, Latest Netz: 7:28 AM,
Latest Krias Shema: 9:51 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:48 PM, Earliest Shkia: 5:02 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim 5:52 PM
January 13 – 14, 2023 – 21 Teves 5783
* Light Candles by 4:49
* Mincha: 4:50 (B), 4:45 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 4:45 (B), 4:40 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 5:52
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, January 11, at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday: 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager