Parshas Vayechi – January 10 – 11, 2020
Download the January 10 – 11, 2020 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
January 10 – 11, 2020 – 14 Teves 5780 – Parshas Vayechi
Light Candles by 4:46 – Havdalah 5:49
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week in honor of our Shul, the Chevra Kadisha of Greater Washington, and Misaskim/Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington, the community organizations that attend to the deceased and their burial and provide compassionate support to the mourners; and in honor of the many volunteers involved in the Mitzvot of Tahara and Nichum Aveilim.
* Gila & Rabbi Myron Wakschlag on the birth of a grandson, Yisrael Usher Schonbrun, born to parents Adina & Baruch Schonbrun of Teaneck, NJ. Mazal Tov to Savta Raba Judith Halpern, grandparents Joyce & Ari Schonbrun of Cedarhurst, NY, aunts, uncles, and the extended Wakschlag and Schonbrun families.
* Light Candles by 4:46
Ashkenazi: 4:50 Ruach: 4:50 Sephardi: 4:45 Nusach Sefard: 4:50
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:45 Sephardi: 4:30 Nusach Sefard: 4:45
* Shabbos ends: 5:49
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi – Omri Pinto, Iddo Romani, Itamar & Odelia & David Mordechai in honor of Moriya, Gay & Rafael Dahan and Adam & Tal Barzilai – welcome to our Minyan.
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – Friends of the Honorable Matt Solomson upon his confirmation as a Judge of the United States Court of Federal Claims.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 4:00 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha
YISE is participating in the 5th Annual TEAM Shabbos, the national initiative to discuss issues relating to end-of-life matters. Rabbi Rosenbaum will discuss talking points to explain the importance of burial vs. cremation at the 8:45 Minyan. Rabbi Silver will be speaking about the significance of reciting Shema at end of life at the 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the balcony, will not meet on Friday, January 17.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by Classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, in the Large Social Hall. Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM, in the Small Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah,
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An indepth analysis
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver in the Large Social Hall. For more information please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: firstname.lastname@example.org or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Small Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM, in the Social Hall
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women. Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, in the Social Hall at 7:50 PM.
Welcome back to returning members Ruthie & David Rider, who have moved into the community!
YISE Programs and Listings
Ruach Minyan – This Friday, January 10, 4:50 PM in the Large Social Hall. There will be a special children's story telling program. Be there on time so we have a Minyan, especially for those who are saying Kaddish. Bring your family and invite your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic! For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Shomrai Preschool 2020-2021 – Online Registration is now open for children ages 2 to 5 years old with customizable extended care options from 7:30 AM to 6:00 PM. Visit preschool.yise.org or email email@example.com for more information or to schedule a tour. Ask about our special, deeply reduced tuition for incoming two-year-olds!
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, January 15, 12 Noon, Social Hall. Dr. Alan Breitler, Great Scientists Series: "Leo Szilard and the Martians"
Dor l'Dor – Come join Dor l'Dor: the Family Chevrusah-style Learning in a fun environment, Motzei Shabbos, January 25, 7:30 PM in the YISE Social Hall. Delicious Pizza! Interactive Discussions! Raffle of Exciting Prizes! To sponsor this program, contact Michael Shimoff at firstname.lastname@example.org
GWCK Shabbaton – Save the date! Parshas Beshalach, February 7 – 8 at YISE. An Inspirational Shabbos Connecting through Torah, Tefillah, and Song! See flyer for details.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for Groups: 2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth rooms behind the balcony. 1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Tot Shabbat – with Suri Kinzbrunner 10:30 AM – 11:00 AM in the toddler room for ages 2 and under.
Pizza Making – for Middle school boys, Sunday, January 26, 10:00 AM – 11:30 AM at Ben Yehuda Pizza. RSVP to email@example.com by January 24. $9 per person, including tour, pizza making, 2 slices of pizza and a soda. See flyer for details.
Midrash, Manicures and Milkshakes – for women and girls of all ages, Motzei Shabbos, February 1, 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM in the Social Hall. $5 per person, max. $20 per family. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Community Programs & Listings
Condolences to the family of former YISE member Esther Knopfmacher. The funeral took place in Baltimore.
Tzurba M'Rabanan – text-based Halacha Sefer learning group meets every Shabbos. Men's group at 3:00 PM at the home of Moshe & Rose Litwack, 11302 Monticello Ave. Women's group Oneg at 4:00 PM, class at 4:15 PM, at the home of Josh & Mickie Breitstein, 1215 North Belgrade Road. Each class is independent – drop-ins welcome.
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, January 11, 3:00 PM at 1121 University Blvd. West Apt. 516.
Post High School Girls Shiur – Tuesday night, January 14, 8:30 PM at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Road. This week the Shiur will be given by Mrs. Rachel Burnham.
Daf Yomi Shiur meets at the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, January 15, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. Bring a friend! See what Toastmasters is
all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more information. On the Same Page – Inspired by the recent Siyum Hashas to learn Gemara, but Daf Yomi is a little too fast for you? Try "On the Same Page" – GWCK's Amud (page) a week learning program! Attend weekly classes in a location near you. Men's classes currently in Kemp Mill, Sundays at 9:45 AM and Mondays at 8:15 PM at YISE; Potomac, Sundays at 8:15pm at YIEIP; White Oak, Mondays and Thursdays, 9:00 PM at SEHC and Woodside, Mondays at 9:00 PM at WSAT. Study on-the-go with weekly audio/video lectures. Everything you need to study the Amud on your own is provided. Now Studying Maseches Taanis. To register or to view our archives visit: gwckollel.org/onthesamepage For more info, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org or 347-869-9361.
Capital Kosher Pantry – A bowl of hot soup is comforting this time of year…but Capital Kosher Pantry patrons need the essentials to get there. Donations of soup in all forms (consommé, packets, mixes, cartons, cans) are most welcome, along with "extras" such as barley, lentils and crackers. Other foods are also very welcome. Please place your donations in Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry boxes in many area Shuls and schools, Shalom Kosher, Moti's Market or at the Yad Yehuda House, 1910 University Blvd West. Or, you can order online at yadyehuda.org/pantry and have items shipped directly to the Pantry. Thank you!
Yad Yehuda's Clothing Exchange is a free clothing store for new or gently-used modest, up-to-date, clothing. We stock men's, women's, children's and infants' clothes and winter coats. Our volunteers have curated a large selection of winter coats for the family, menswear and many new-with-tags dresses, skirts, tops and hats for women and teens. They're ready to assist you with all your clothing needs! Please drop in to see our selection this Sunday, January 12, 9:30 AM – 10:30 AM. The Clothing Exchange is located at Yad Yehuda House, 1910 University Boulevard West, Silver Spring, MD 20902. There is no charge for items in The Clothing Exchange.
Partners in Tefillah matches people with others in need of similar assistance from Hashem. The feedback we have received so far has been amazing. You, too, can Daven for someone else in the community and have them daven for you. May Hashem answer all your prayers. Please visit www.yadyehuda.org/partners-in-tefillah to learn more and to sign up.
Kollel Dirshu of Silver Spring is studying Maseches Gittin at the YGW. Daily morning shiur given by Rabbi Eli Reingold at 5:45 AM and evening shiur by Ranon Cortell and Pinchas Werner at 9:00 PM. Chavrusah are also available during these learning times. For more information and to join our learning program please contact Hirsh Komarow (301) 681-1646; email@example.com
Dirshu Mishnah Brurah – Learn Chelek Daled with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Learn the Halachos of Eruvin and Techumin. Finish the Chelek in eleven months! Monday through Thursday at YISE after Maariv. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 12:30 PM – 1:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday January 12 Monday January 13 Tuesday January 14 Wednesday January 15 Thursday January 16 Friday January 17
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 4:55 4:55 / 7:30 4:55 / 7:30 4:55 / 7:30 4:55 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:50 4:50 4:50 4:50 4:50
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:30 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:51 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:49 PM
January 17 – 18, 2020 – 21 Teves 5780
Light Candles: Friday by 4:53 – Havdalah: 5:56
* Light Candles by 4:53
Ashkenazi: 4:55 Sephardi: 4:50 Nusach Sefard: 4:55
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:50 Sephardi: 4:35 Nusach Sefard: 4:50
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:56
Friday, January 10 Ruach Minyan, 4:50 PM, Large Social Hall
Shabbos, January 11 Family Luncheon, 1:00 PM
Monday, January 13 The Man With The Truck, 6:30 PM – 9:30 PM
Wednesday, January 15 Senior Lunch, 12 Noon
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 25 Dor L'Dor, 7:30 PM
Shabbos, February 7 – 8 GWCK Shabbaton
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, January 15 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday: 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager