Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
December 17 – 18, 2021 – 14 Teves 5782 – Vayechi
Light Candles by 4:29 – Havdalah 5:33
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Judy & Zevi Mehlman on the engagement of their daughter, Chani Mehlman, to Shalom Gefen of Bnei Brak, Israel. Mazal Tov to Shalom's parents, Chana & David Gefen, and to the entire extended family.
* Nancy & Pesach Mehlman on the recent marriage of their son Shlomo to Yocheved Herbst of Inwood, NY. Mazal Tov to Yocheved's parents, Tzivia & Hertzel Yaakov Herbst. Mazal Tov to grandfather Jack Mehlman and to the couple's siblings, nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles and cousins.
Minyan locations are listed as B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall. LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis Medrash.
* Light Candles by 4:29
* Mincha: 4:30 (B), 4:20 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen Minyan, SBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 4:25 (B), 4:20 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 5:33
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Rabbi Postelnek
* Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Rosenbaum
YISE is participating in NASCK's TEAM Shabbos program, working to educate about end-of-life issues. Rabbi Rosenbaum will discuss Planning Now to Help Your Family Later at the 8:45 Minyan.
* 8:45 Minyan Kiddush in a Bag is sponsored by the 8:45 Haimish Kiddush Group.
YISE Youth Announcements
Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, December 18, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends, indoors. Masks required indoors for age 2+. Age 18-36 months (Mommy & me) in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 2-5 years (drop off) in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk over to the Yeshiva. For more info., contact Michal Merkin, YISE Youth groups coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Dor L'Dor – The Family Chevrusah-style Learning in a fun environment! Next session will take place Motzei Shabbos, December 18, 7:00 PM in the Social Hall. This Dor L'Dor is sponsored by Eva and Isaac Moses in honor of the YISE Youth Committee, chaired by Debbie Katz, and all the great programming they arrange. Please email email@example.com if you would like to sponsor. See flyer for details.
Bat Mitzvah Program for 6th Grade Girls – First event: Paint your own candlesticks. December 25, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the Social Hall. RSVP by December 20 to firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
* The YISE Board has mandated that everyone 16 and older who is medically eligible for an FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine must be fully vaccinatedfor COVID-19 in order to enter the Shul building.
* Masks are required for ALL people in the YISE Arcola building, whether vaccinated or unvaccinated, except for children under the age of 2.
* There are no social distancing requirements in the YISE building. There are no in-person Kiddushes at this time.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday 7:30 PM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Hillel Shaps – Unraveling the Navi: Melachim Aleph
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more information, contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara – in person (Social Hall) and on Zoom F.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom D.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom H.
* For Women – Zoom I
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Sefer Bereishis
* SCP (Semichat Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM. A new semester began on October 19. Join the fastest growing Halacha learning program in the world! Now back in person at YISE. Register at gwckollel.org/scp
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:20 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Monday – Parasha, Tuesday – Halachos, 8:45 AM, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", Zoom E.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Kama 7th Perek Merubah. Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM, Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID &password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom E: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom F: ID: 349 754 2180, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Zoom I: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
YISE Programs and Listings
Welcome to a new member voted in at the latest board meeting: Ethel Goldwasser.
Ruach Minyan – With Excitement and Gratitude to Hashem, the upcoming Ruach Minyan at YISE is scheduled for this Friday night, December 17, in the Social Hall. IY"H, Meir Kreitman will be the Baal Tefilla! Mincha will take place in the Belonofsky Sanctuary at 4:30 PM. After Mincha, those attending the Ruach Minyan will convene in the Social Hall for Kabbalos Shabbos and Maariv. While there is no formal children's program, all Daveners are warmly invited to join us. So, bring the family and invite your friends – It's going to be Gevaldic!
Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura – A weekly Chabura in the Nesivos Shalom on the Parsha. Delve into the deeper dimensions of the Parsha and Holidays by learning the Nesivos Shalom's weekly insights. Begins at 8:55 AM Shabbos mornings in the Social Hall. Given by Rabbi Postelnek & Rabbi Rosenbaum. See flyer for details.
Ashley Blaker – Let's have fun with Off-Broadway Comedian Ashley Blaker. Sunday, December 19, 8:30 PM. In-person at YISE. Sign up at www.yise.org/comedian After Friday, December 17, the price goes up to $35/ticket, $55/couple. Pareve and dairy desserts will be served. See flyer for details.
Ask the Rabbi: Lashon Hara – Tuesday, December 21, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM on Zoom A. Send in your questions about Lashon Hara to AskTheRabbi@yise.org by Sunday, December 19. For more information and to submit questions by phone or anonymously, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Come Join Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee: Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, January 3, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
Kiddush in a Bag! While we are not yet back to regular in-Shul Kiddushes, we are happy to now offer Kiddush in a Bag for the 8:45 Minyan. To sponsor the Kiddush in a Bag, contact Simi Franco at firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteers Are Needed Weekly to help assemble Kiddush in a Bag. If you can help please contact Simi Franco at email@example.com or 301-593- 4465 x403.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax-deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
Please email email@example.com to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to the Shiurim sponsors for this Past Week:
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David & Esther Hornestay in honor of the Yahrzeit of David's father, Avraham Aryeh Ben Shlomo Chaim Hakohen.
* David Jaray in honor of a Refuah Sheleimah to Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Rochelle Dimont and Family in memory of Chayim Dimont, Chayim Ben Harav Avraham Mordechai, Z"L.
* Zak Family in honor of the Yahrzeit of Dr. Solomon Zak, Shlomo Yonah Ben Aharon Levi, Z"L.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Navi Shiur
* Harriet & Ron Sheinson in honor of the Yahrzeit of Harriet's mother, Clara Krasnow, Crendel Elka Bas Binyamin Halevi.
Community Programs & Listings
The Capital Closet of Yad Yehuda (formerly the Clothing Exchange) will be open to the community this Sunday, December 19, from 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM, at 1910 University Blvd. West. Come peruse our beautiful, curated selection of winter clothing for men, women and children. Masks are required in the Capital Closet. If you prefer to schedule a private shopping appointment, please email Naomi Carmel at firstname.lastname@example.org There is no charge for items in The Capital Closet, but donations to Yad Yehuda are always appreciated.
Women's Online Shiur with Rabbi Yehoshua Levy- Free 1-hour shiur on Zoom on the first and third Sundays of each month at 7:15 PM. Topic: Eishet Hayil, with principles from Mesilat Yesharim and weekly Sidra. In English. All levels of ability are welcome. You needn't attend every Shiur, but RSVPs are requested. Contact Shiur Coordinator at email@example.com for details.
Considering Buying a Home In Israel? My Israel Home will present a program at YISE on Monday, December 20 at 8:00 PM. Creative housing opportunities, brand new Ramat Bet Shemesh project and superb new Jerusalem project. For more information or to schedule a private meeting, go to www.myisraelhome.com or contact Gedaliah Borvick at firstname.lastname@example.org or 972-54-623-0099.
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT"L, with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Dirshu- Please join Dirshu as it begins Bava Metzia on December 20. Shiur options at YGW: Monday – Friday, 5:45 AM (R. Reingold) or Monday – Thursday, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM (R. Cortell/R. Werner). About 2.5 Daf covered each week.
The Mikvah Emunah Society and The Robin Niman Mikvah Education Fund present "Perinatal Mood Disorders and Postpartum Depression: Increasing Our Awareness and Fostering Resilience", an educational evening for women via Zoom. Tuesday, December 21, at 8:30 PM. Meeting ID: 835 8766 8630. Passcode: 853069. See http://www.mikvahemunah.com for more details.
Federal Government Jobs – If you are interested in working for the federal government, please join Moshe Kaplan on Wednesday December 22, at 8:00 PM for a Zoom webinar on "Breaking into Federal Spaces – A Guide to Getting a Position as a Federal Employee." Register at https://www.jet-tech.org/Event
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, January 5, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Learning Tanach in Memory of Avi West, Z"L – Please join a Siyum Tanach for our friend and mentor, to be completed by his Yahrzeit, August 22, 2022, 25 Av, 5782. Learning from Chumash has been subscribed. There are a number of sections remaining in Neviim and Kesuvim. Sign up for as many as you wish and please share this info. with others who may be interested in joining this learning. Sign up at http://hadranalach.com/2090 Save the Date! Nach Yomi Siyum – Sunday, January 16, hosted by SEHC and WSAT. Many women in the local area are poised to complete the
OU Women's Initiative Torat Imecha Nach Yomi cycle. This first-time event is a culmination of an intensive two-year, daily, chapter-by-chapter, learning program of all Nevi'im and Ketuvim. The OU Women's Initiative will be celebrating a Siyum in New York. We are excited to be hosting a local Siyum, with a dynamic and interactive program at SEHC, in White Oak, starting at 11:30 AM, with a Zoom option. The celebration will continue with a livestream of the New York event at 1:00 PM. This event is open to all women and girls of the Greater Washington & Silver Spring communities. Come celebrate women's learning and share in the joy and excitement! Light lunch provided.
Parsha Explorations with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Presented by the Greater Washington Community Kollel and Kemp Mill Synagogue, Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM at KMS and on Zoom, Meeting ID: 655 813 1022, Passcode: 365636. For men and women.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Birkat Hamazon with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
In Their Footsteps: Life Lessons From Our Patriarchs and Matriarchs – Wednesdays, 8:00 PM on Zoom F. Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. Series began October 13. Register at https://linksgw.org/classes
Navigating the Dating Experience – The Shidduch Spot of Greater Washington presents a series of talks to enhance the dating journey, featuring Rachel Burnham, Shidduch Dating Coach for Marriage-Minded Singles. January 5 on Zoom, Meeting ID: 776 143 4208, password 613613. The session starts at 8:30 PM.
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact email@example.com, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more info.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 5:59 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 6:28 AM, Latest Netz: 7:26 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:44 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:39 PM, Earliest Shkia: 4:48 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 5:36 PM
December 24 – 25, 2021 – 21 Teves 5782
* Light Candles by 4:32
* Mincha: 4:35 (B), 4:25 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 4:30 (B), 4:25 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 5:36
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, December 22 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Friday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager