Included in the PDF are the Israel Report, Hammayan and Likutei Torah, all of which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
March 20 – 21, 2020 – 25 Adar 5780 – Parshas Vayakhel/Pekudei/HaChodesh
Light Candles by 7:02 – Havdalah 8:02
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Tsipi & Jerry Hawk in memory of Tsipi's father, Cantor Sherwood Goffin, Shimon ben Chaim Eliezer, on his first Yahrzeit, and by Bob Levi and family to thank the community for their support, meals, visits and donations in memory of his beloved father, Fred Levi, Z"L.
* Arleeta & Rabbi Dr. Ivan Lerner on the birth of a great-grandson, born to their grandchildren Adina Lerner Goldstein & Shuey Goldstein of Baltimore. Mazal Tov to grandparents Alyson & Rabbi Dr. Daniel Lerner and Devorah & Yaakov Goldstein as well as to great-grandparents Joan Pincus, Ellen & Yisroel Goldstein and Rochel Schwartzbaum Weinberger.
* Bobbi & Jules Meisler and Naomi & Jan Meisler on the marriage of their granddaughter and niece, Devorah Leah, daughter of Sara & Marc Meisler of Baltimore, to Dovid Chaim Osofsky, son of Sora & Azriel Osofsky of Baltimore. Mazel Tov to her siblings, Esti, Nechama and Shoshana and cousins, Esther, Nossi and Chaya.
* Judy & Rabbi Roy Rosenbaum on the engagement of their granddaughter, Chaya Freitag of Atlanta, to Yisroel Nechamkin. Mazal Tov to Chaya's parents, Rivka & Rabbi Daniel Freitag of Atlanta and Yisroel's parents, Tova & Malkiel Nechamkin of Passaic, NJ.
* Wendee & Dr. Jack Rutner on the marriage of their granddaughter, Elana Rutner, daughter of Juliet & Dr. Torin Rutner of West Orange, NJ, to Evan Lebor, son of Shelley & Michael Lebor of Lawrence, NY. Mazal Tov to all the siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. The wedding, originally scheduled for March 15, was held on March 12. Yasher Koach to the wedding planner who in the space of a few hours got a new venue, caterer and band. Yasher Koach to the caterer, Five Star Caterers, who had everything ready in the space of five hours.
Note the following temporary changes to YISE events. Additional information will be sent by email and posted on www.yise.org as the situation evolves.
* All public activities at YISE are cancelled, including Minyanim, Youth Groups, Shiurim and special events.
* A number of YISE and community Shiurim are taking place at their usual times via teleconference or an online system such as Zoom.
* Additional teleconference and online Shiurim have been added to help people connect to each other during this time.
* Sale of Chometz will be handled online and by phone. Details will be sent via email and posted on www.yise.org
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
* Please continue to be vigilant regarding matters of personal hygiene as previously advised. If you are unwell, please do not enter the Shul or other public places. We urge you to adhere to all medical advice you may receive regarding self-quarantine.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep us all in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Note that Davening times are listed for reference so that people may Daven at the same time as others. There are no Minyanim at YISE at this time.
* Light Candles by 7:02, and not before Plag, 6:04
* Mincha: Ashkenazi: 7:05 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
If you Daven Kabbalos Shabbos/Maariv prior to Shkia (7:20 PM), it is preferable to Daven Mincha prior to Plag (6:04 PM).
* Shacharis: Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
One may say the entire text of the blessing of Birkas Hachodesh even when alone. Rosh Chodesh Nissan is on Thursday. The Molad will be on Tuesday, 10:14 AM and 11 Chalakim, Jerusalem time.
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:00 Sephardi: 6:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
One can recite Kel Maleh for a loved one this Shabbos afternoon even in the absence of a Minyan. Please remember that this is the last Shabbos of Kel Maleh until after the month of Nissan. The Gabbai will recite Kel Maleh for all names on the YISE Yahrzeit list.
* Shabbos ends: 8:02
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list, go to https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact email@example.com conference call A.
* Rabbi Silver's Community Tehillim and Emunah Shiur, Thursdays at 9:00 PM, Zoom C.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, Zoom D.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men & Women – Zoom E:
* Mondays: Rabbi E. Gayer – A to Z of Jewish Living
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Grossman – Parshas Hashavua
* For Women – Zoom F:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An indepth analysis
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Bereishis in-Depth
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver in the Large Social Hall. For more information please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: email@example.com or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org Zoom B.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, conference call B.
For Zoom, go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call in using the listed number:
* Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, phone 301-715-8592
* Zoom B: ID: 226 175 681, phone 929-205-6099, password 044308
* Zoom C: ID: 230 274 007, phone 929-205-6099, password 079192
* Zoom D: ID: 349 754 2180, phone 301-715-8592
* Zoom E: ID: 746 455 2195, phone 301-715-8592
* Zoom F: ID: 601 u853 4021, phone 301-715-8592
* Conference call A: Dial in: 480-660-5302 PIN: 565-527
* Conference call B: Dial in: 717-275-8940 PIN: 345-0663
YISE Programs and Listings
Pesach at Home for the First Time? – Special Shiur with Rabbi Rosenbaum, Sunday, March 22, 8:00 PM, online, Zoom A listed above.
Pre-Pesach Class with Rabbi Rosenbaum – Sunday, March 29, 8:00 PM, online. Zoom A listed above.
Camp Shomrai 2020 is open for registration! Programs for campers entering 2-year-old Preschool through 9th grade. Camp Dates: Monday, June 29 – Thursday, August 13. Register online at https://campshomrai.campapplications.com For more information contact Sarah Dollman at email@example.com
Shomrai Preschool 2020-2021 – Online registration is now open for children ages 2 to 5 years old with customizable extended care options from 7:30 AM to 6:00 PM. Visit preschool.yise.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to schedule a tour. Ask about our special, deeply reduced tuition for incoming 2-year-olds!
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Community Programs & Listings
Tzurba M'Rabanan – will not take place until further notice.
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos afternoons at 4:00 PM, will not take place until further notice.
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – An online meeting is being planned for Wednesday, March 18, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info. or check www.kempmilltoastmasters.com for the latest information including online meeting details.
Free Webinars on Federal Jobs – Presented by Kathryn Troutman of Resume Place:
* "10 Steps to a Federal Job" – Thursday, March 26, 12:00 Noon – 12:45 PM, register at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/98813191917
* "Federal Resume Writing in the Outline Format" – Tuesday, March 31, register at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/98818214941
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 7:00 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM, Friday 5:45 PM.
Partners in Tefillah matches people with others in need of similar assistance from Hashem. The feedback we have received so far has been amazing. You, too, can Daven for someone else in the community and have them daven for you. May Hashem answer all your prayers. Please visit www.yadyehuda.org/partners-in-tefillah to learn more and to sign up.
Community Helping Community: Yad Yehuda's COVID-19 Crisis Relief – During this crisis, previously financially stable households in our community are already experiencing financial challenges. Yad Yehuda is receiving many more assistance requests than usual. With Pesach coming soon, we expect that to increase. Community financial donations are critical now. Please make an additional donation to Yad Yehuda today to help us address this unforeseen need at www.yadyehuda.org/donate
A COVID-19 Telephone Assistance Hotline is now available at 301-494-1010, Sunday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM. When you call, one of our dedicated Yad Yehuda volunteers will answer questions and help connect you with resources in the Jewish community and the area at large. If the volunteer is unable to answer your issue or question, they will, IY"H, ensure that someone gets back to you in a timely manner. Our friendly volunteers are there to help and will do so with the utmost discretion and privacy. Please visit www.yadyehuda.org/covid19 for additional and updated information.
Capital Kosher Pantry: Annual Chometz-Be-Gone Drive – As you clean your home for Pesach, please donate unwanted Chometz to the Capital Kosher Pantry. Food should be shelf-stable, in sealed containers, well within the sell-by date and have kosher certification. Please deposit food in our collection bins located outside KMS, YISE and the Woodside Shul; in Shalom Kosher and Moti's Market; and outside our Pantry at 1910 University Blvd West. All bins are checked daily.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
No Minyanim will take place at YISE next week. You are encouraged to Daven at home at your regular Minyan time. Mincha was scheduled for March 22 – 26 at 7:10 PM (Ashkenazi)/7:05 PM (Sephardi). In addition to Shiurim listed above, conference calls are scheduled with Rabbi Rosenbaum for Tehillim and a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha in the mornings (Sunday 9:00 AM, Monday through Friday 8:30 AM) and for Tehillim and a 15-minute Shiur on Hilchos Pesach in the evenings (Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM) using Zoom A listed above.
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:16 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:05 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:46 PM
Wednesday, March 25 YISE Board Meeting, 8:00 PM. Contact email@example.com for connection details.
March 27 – 28, 2020 – 3 Nissan 5780
Light Candles: Friday by 7:09 Havdalah: 8:09
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, March 25 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager