Young Israel Shomrai Emunah -Shabbos Shorts
March 17-18, 2023 – 25 Adar 5783 – Parshas Vayakhel-Pekudei/Hachodesh/Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 6:58 – Havdalah 7:58
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored by the Hyatt and Hes Families in appreciation to Rabbi Grauman and the members of Rabbi Hyatt's Shiur,
and by Judy & Stuart Rosenthal, with deep gratitude to Barbara Price and to Manasseh Katz for all they each have done for YISE and particularly for the Meaningful Tefilah Project.
* Debby & Rabbi Barry Greengart on the engagement of their grandson, Tani Greengart, son of their children Leah & Avi Greengart, to Allison Gellerstein, of Teaneck, NJ. Mazal Tov to both families.
* Nancy & Pesach Mehlman on the engagement of their son Moshe to Roni Koniak of Hadera, Israel. Mazal Tov to grandfather Jack Mehlman and to all of Moshe's siblings, nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Sara Silver on the birth of a granddaughter to her children Yael Dina & Max Kates, in Queens.
* Elaine Taragin on the marriage of her grandson, Benjamin Taragin, to Alexandra Winter of Cedarhurst, New York. Mazal Tov to Benjamin's parents, Hope & David Taragin and Alexandra's parents, Alyssa & Chaim Winter and all of their extended families.
* Joelle & Bill Zimbalist on the Bat Mitzvah of their granddaughter, Batsheva Zimbalist, daughter of Sara & Simmy Zimbalist of Beit Shemesh.
* Joelle & Bill Zimbalist on the birth of a grandson, Judah Caleb Zimbalist, son of Aliza Machefsky & Joseph Zimbalist of Atlanta.
* Tamar Balay on the passing of her father, Avrham Abuhi Ben Yeshimevet. Tamar is observing Shiva through Monday morning at 11401 Clara Street. Tamar can be reached during Shiva at 240-464-2353.
* Scott Hillman on the passing of his mother, Elizabeth Hillman Garon.
Minyan locations are B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall, LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis Medrash, H = The House
* Light Candles by 6:58
* Mincha: 5:45 (Plag, B), 7:00 (B), 6:50 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 6:50 (B), 6:55 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends: 7:58
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Minyan Rabbi Postelnek
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura Rabbi Postelnek
* Shiur before Mincha Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* The Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by Barbara Price and Family to commemorate the 18th Yahrzeit of Stanley Billauer, Shlomo Ben Shmuel Binyamin, beloved father, grandfather, and greatgrandfather.
* The Shul Kiddush is sponsored by Dolores & Len Schwartz in honor of their 65th anniversary.
* The Sephardi Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by Bar Mevorach Kimchi L'ilui Nishmat Yosef Ben Rina.
* People experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 or other transmissible illnesses should not attend prayer, learning, social or other events at the Shul.
* If you have tested positive for COVID-19, please follow CDC guidelines before returning to Shul.
YISE Youth Announcements
Teen Minyan – The Teen Minyan, led by Rabbi Moshe Holzer, meets at 9:15 AM every Shabbos in The House next to the Shul. Kiddush is served after Davening.
Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, March 18, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends. Age 18-36 months (Mommy & me) in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 2-5 years (drop off) in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk to the Yeshiva. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com
Shabbos Group for 5th and 6th Grade Girls will meet inside The House promptly at 10:00 AM.
Junior Congregation for boys in grades 4 – 6 with Jay Marcus. Meet in the Lower Lobby at 9:55 and walk to the Yeshiva at 10:00.
Post-Pesach Pizza – Support YISE Youth and get a chance to eat the first and second pizzas from Ben Yehuda Pizza after Pesach. 2 pies, 2 winners! $10 for 1 chance to win, $ 18 for 2 chances to win. To participate, go to https://wp.yise.org/donate and put "Pizza" in the description. Deadline April 2. See flyer for details.
YISE Programs and Listings
New Shabbos Shorts Format coming soon. We'll keep you posted.
Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura – A weekly Chabura on the Parsha, now learning the Kedushas Levi. Delve into the deeper dimensions of the Parsha and Holidays by learning the Kedushas Levi's weekly insights. Begins at 8:55 AM Shabbos morning. This week's Shiur will be led by Rabbi Postelnek. Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur – Following the
Hashkamah Minyan, learning Maseches Sanhedrin, in the Small Beis Medrash. This week's Shiur will be led by Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
New Shabbos Shiur – Beginning this Shabbos, March 18, Rabbi Rosenbaum will give a text-based Parsha shiur 45 minutes before the late Mincha in the Belonofsky Sanctuary.
Ask the Rabbi – Come join our virtual, interactive monthly program featuring different Halachic topics! This month's topic, Pesach, will take place on Tuesday, March 21, 8:00 PM – 9:30PM on Zoom A. The first hour is for Shailos submitted in advance and the last 30 minutes is for Q&A. This month's Ask the Rabbi is sponsored by Delia Weiss and family and Miriam & Steve Friedman and family in loving memory of Dr. George Weiss, Gedalya Chaim Ben Avraham Moshe, Z"L, on the occasion of his 6th Yahrzeit. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Mechiras Chametz – Rabbi Rosenbaum will be available at set times to arrange the sale of Chametz, beginning Sunday, March 26. Days and times will be listed in the Shorts next week.
Nominations Open – The YISE Nominating Committee has been appointed and will be accepting nominations for both officers and trustees for the election in May. Please contact email@example.com with your nominations/self-nominations.
Kashrus Alert – Jason Brand Kosher for Passover Panko Crumbs with a Best Before date of December 20, 2023, has been found to be infested and should not be used. Consumers with other expiration codes should examine the container for holes or other obvious signs of infestation.
Good Deeds Day Park Cleanup in the Kemp Mill Park. Do a Mitzvah! Join our park cleanup any time on Sunday, March 26, from 12:00 Noon – 2:00 PM. Meet at the steps near CVS. Bags and gloves will be distributed. Great for all ages! Community Service hours available. Good Deeds Day 2023 is produced in partnership with The Jewish Federation. Volunteers will get 10% off at Ben Yehuda Pizza on March 26. Volunteers needed to hand out gloves and bags. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org Sponsored by YISE, KMS, Berman, YGW, Chabad of Silver Spring and Ben Yehuda Pizza in conjunction with Montgomery Parks. See flyer for details.
Call for Pesach Hosts and Guests – Do you have an extra seat at your Seder? Or are you looking for a host? Pesach can be a challenging time of the year for many folks who may be single, have out-of-town family, etc. The YISE Hospitality Committee helps match these guests with hosts. Please contact email@example.com if you are able to host a meal, provide a bed, or both. Also please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are a guest in need of a host.
Yom HaShoah v'Hagvurah Program – Featuring Rachel (Rae) Goldfarb. Sunday, April 16, 7:30 PM on Zoom A. See flyer for details.
Monthly Shalosh Seudos – To sponsor, contact Simi Franco at 301-593-4465, ext. 103, or email@example.com Volunteers are needed to set up and clean up. Contact Ethan Cohen at firstname.lastname@example.org to be part of the rotation. See flyer for details.
Online YISE Cholim List – Go to https://wp.yise.org/cholim to add a name to the list. The list is used at the 8:45 Minyan on Monday, Thursday, and Shabbos. For questions about Mi Sheberach guidelines, contact Rabbi Rosenbaum. For other questions, contact Seth Katz at email@example.com
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, a part of YISE's Chesed Committee, provides assistance to families undergoing medical crises. There is a current need for 2 people in the community for meals on Pesach starting Thursday, April 6, through Saturday, April 8. Please sign in to your Helping Hands account to volunteer. If you do not have a Helping Hands account, or if you have any questions, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at https://audio.yise.org
Shabbos HaGadol Community Meals at YISE
Why make Shabbos at your own home when we can all spend Shabbos HaGadol together? Come join us for Friday Night Dinner, March 31, and/or Shabbos Lunch, April 1. Please make reservations by Friday, March 24. Reserve your meals online at https://www.yise.org/pre-pesach-shabbos
* Adults: $ 25 per person, per meal
* Children age 3 – 12: $15 per child, per meal
* Children age 2 and under: FREE
* Family maximum per meal: $ 90.
If you are adding other non-household members from Kemp Mill, please submit a new form. Only household members and out-oftown guests should be included towards your family maximum.
For sponsorship or any questions, please contact Sandie Thurman at 818-974-1471.
Police Pizza Party
The YISE Social Committee provided a meal for the Montgomery County Police Wheaton station on behalf of the Kemp Mill Jewish community.
Thank you to the Shiurim Sponsors for this Past Week:
Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in honor of Rabbi Grossman and all those who attend his Shiur.
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in memory of Rabbi Hyatt, Z"L, and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur and in memory of parents, Avraham Ben Tzvi HaLevi & Ada Bas Menachem Aryeh, Z"L, and Rabbi Hillel & Mrs. Myrna Klavan, Z"L.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Lois & Sid Meyers in honor of Marvin Konick's 100th birthday.
* Jacqueline & Rabbi Haim Arzouan in honor of Marvin Konick's 100th birthday.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Navi Shiur
* Chanah Hollander in loving memory of her mother, Devorah bat Avraham, Z"L
8:45 AM Shabbos Drasha
* Bev Morris & Art Boyars in honor of Esther Edeson, whose service to YISE goes way beyond professionalism.
* Bev Morris & Art Boyars in honor of Sahra Ginsburg, whose service to YISE goes way beyond professionalism.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
YISE continues to offer a number of different in-person and virtual learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur, Shabbos Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
4. Yom Tov Drashas are available for sponsorship of $72 each.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to email@example.com: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Options for in-person and remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to:
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A, will not meet on Sunday, March 19.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 6:30 PM, Zoom A, will not meet on Sunday, March 19, or on Thursday, March 23.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A, will resume on Wednesday, April 19.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM breakfast, 9:45 AM. Shiurim:
* Illuminating Inquiries in Halacha – Rabbi Yitzchak Mandel
* Judaism 102: Fundamentals for the Experienced Jew – Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Navigating Navi: Sefer Yehoshua – Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Parsha Perspectives: An Exploration of Engaging Parsha Topics – Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info., contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom E.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom F.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys – Zoom D.
* SCP (Semichas Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM at YISE. Join the fastest growing Halacha learning program in the world! Register online at https://thegreaterwashingtoncommunitykollel.com/scp
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:22 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* Chavrusa Learning – Monday nights in the Social Hall, 8:30 PM – 9:30 PM. For more information, contact Rabbi Levy at 240-423-8810.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurimfor men & women, Mondays at 8:45 AM, studying Parashas Hashavua, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", in-person in the Small Beis Medrash and on Zoom G.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Metzia, Daf 3a. Wednesday evenings at 8:00 PM on Zoom H.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 or 929-205-6099 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 833 3477 1595, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 601 853 4021, passcode Winter (phone 667362)
Zoom E: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom F: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom H: ID: 849 3898 4989, passcode 161699
Community Programs & Listings
Kidney Donation Needed – Mr. Gerry Segelman, father of Micah Segelman, is in need of a kidney transplant. If you would consider being a kidney donor, please contact Rabbi Chaim Steinmetza at Renewal for more information at email@example.com or 718-431-9831 ext 209.
TGN Lunch and Learn – Wednesday, March 22, 11:45 AM – 1:00 PM at YISE. For more information or to RSVP by March 15, contact Rabbi Shmuel Leigh: 301-732-1773 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Israeli Folk Dancing for Women – Wednesday at KMS. Beginners – 7:45 PM – 8:45 PM, Advanced Beginners/Intermediate – 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM. Fee: $5. For more information, contact email@example.com
Rays of Wisdom – Life Lessons From Pirkei Avos – Greater Washington Community Kollel invites women of the community to a weekday morning text-based Chaburah led by Mrs. Channah Cohen. Mondays at 9:30 AM in Kemp Mill. To be added to a list for information and weekly location, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 773-219-5397.
"Let all who are hungry come and eat" – Partner with Yad Yehuda to ensure that our friends and neighbors in need have sufficient food for Pesach! Contribute NOW to Yad Yehuda's Ma'ot Chittim Fund to support our community members before Pesach. 100% of the money collected will be distributed to local individuals and families in need. Donate online at www.yadyehuda.org or mail checks to: Yad Yehuda of Greater qWashington, 812 Hyde Court, Silver Spring, MD 20902.
Please help our community complete these Siyumim:
* Mishnayos for the 1st Yahrzeit of Noah Roitman, Noach Ben Shalom Yaakov, January 4, 23 Tevet -https://www.lzechernishmas.com/signup.php?id=11081
* Mishnayos for the 1st Yahrzeit of Natalie Gabai, Nechama Naomi Bat Leib, December 21, 9 Tevet – https://www.lzechernishmas.com/signup.php?id=11044
* Mishnayos for the 1st Yahrzeit of Jerry Snyder, Yehoshua Ben Binyamin, December 21, 9 Tevet – https://hadranalach.com/2612
* Tanach for the 1st Yahrzeit of Marion Baras, Miriam Bas Menachem, January 1, 20 Tevet – http://hadranalach.com/2626
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, March 22, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Crisis Diplomacy and the Two-Minute Football Drill – Linda Silverman Kahan memorial lecture and brunch, Sunday, March 26, 10:00 AM at Kemp Mill Synagogue. Featuring guest speaker Ambassador Daniel C. Kurtzer. Couvert $54 per person. To register and for sponsorship information, visit https://www.sulam.org/lkm2023
Alshich on the Parsha with Rabbi Levy – Shabbat afternoon between Mincha and Maariv in the Franco Beit Midrash.
Zoom Shiurim with Rabbi Levy – Monday through Friday on Zoom, Meeting ID: 636 563 5989. Alshich – 9:20 AM – 10:15 AM. Gemara Ribit 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM. Hilchot Lashon Hara 12:45 PM – 1:45 PM.
In G-d We Trust – Exploring the relationship and balance between Relying on G-d/Bitachon & Human Endeavor/Hishtadlus, based on the teachings of 11th century scholar, Rabbeinu Bachya's Treatise on Trust – Shaar Habitachon. Wednesdays, 12:15 PM – 1:00 PM on Zoom, Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. To register, visit https://linksgw.org/classes
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT"L, with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Dirshu – Please join Dirshu, currently learning Bava Metzia. Shiur options at YGW: Monday – Friday, 5:45 AM (R. Reingold) or Monday – Thursday, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM (R. Cortell/R. Werner), about 2.5 Daf covered each week.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Siddur with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at email@example.com
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online weekdays via a WebEx video conference. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM. Shabbos in-person, 7:30 AM in the YISE Social Hall.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Thursday, March 23 – Rosh Chodesh
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 5:54 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 6:22 AM, Latest Netz: 7:14 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 10:09 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:47 PM, Earliest Shkia: 7:18 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim 8:05 PM
March 24 – 25, 2023 – 3 Nissan 5783
* Light Candles by 7:05, and not before 6:07
* Mincha: 5:50 (Plag, B), 7:05 (B), 7:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 7:00 (B), 7:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 8:05
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, March 22, at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM,
Friday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager