Parshas Vayakhel/Pekudei/Hachodesh – March 12 – 13, 2021
Download the Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Included in the PDF are the Israel Report, Likutei Torah, Hamaayan and GWCK Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
March 12 – 13, 2021 – 29 Adar 5781 – Parshas Vayakhel/Pekudei/HaChodesh
Light Candles by 5:54 – Havdalah 6:54
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Rosalyn Bramson in memory of her husband, Arnold Bramson, Alexander Zizkind ben Yehuda Leib HaLevi, Z"L, on his 5th Yahrzeit and by Jack Calman to commemorate the 47th Yahrzeit of his dear father, Irwin Calman (born Isidore Calmanovici in Bucharest Romania), Z"L.
* Howard & Rosanne Benn on the birth of their first great grandchild, Hadassah Sara Gittel Held, born last Wednesday and named this past Shabbos. Proud parents are Esther & Gadi Held of Beitar Illit, Israel.
* Judy & Louis Morris on the birth of a great-granddaughter to Tzipporah & Yoni Lefkowitz of Ramat Bet Shemesh. Mazal Tov to grandparents Rebecca (Morris) & Yitzchak Lefkowitz.
* Gloria & Arnold Sherman and Patricia & Neil Koslowe on the Bat Mitzvah of their granddaughter, Penina Chana, daughter of their children Talia and Simi Sherman, in Ramat Bet Shemesh on Sunday, March 7. Mazal Tov to Penina's siblings, Akiva, Nachshon, Ephraim, and Elisha, and to all of the aunts, uncles, and cousins.
* Estee & Rabbi Binyamin Silver (our former Assistant Rabbi) on the birth of a boy, Azriel Menachem. Mazal Tov to big brothers Gavi and Hershel, and to grandparents Chana & Rabbi Uri Silver of Har Nof, Adrienne & Rick Harrison of Minneapolis, and Ada & Rabbi Billy Lewkowicz of Arizona. Mazal Tov to all of the aunts, uncles, and cousins.
* Sara Silver on the engagement of her son Max Kates to Yael Dina Aufrichtig from Los Angeles.
Limited Minyanim are now taking place at YISE under Montgomery County’s Phase 2 guidelines. All Minyanim require advance registration and confirmation. If you are interested in attending Minyanim and have not already registered, please go to https://www.yise.org/minyan If you are registered for a Minyan and are unable to attend at that time, please do not go to a different Minyan. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* Light Candles by 5:54
* Mincha: 6:00, 5:55 (Sephardi)
If you Daven Kabbalos Shabbos prior to Shkia (6:12 PM), it is preferable to Daven Mincha prior to Plag (4:58 PM).
One may say the entire text of the blessing of Birkas Hachodesh even when alone. Rosh Chodesh Adar is on Sunday. The Molad will be Motzei Shabbos, 3 minutes and 5 Chalakim after 7, Jerusalem time.
* Shacharis: 7:00, 9:00, 9:30, 8:30 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 2:30, 4:30, 4:45 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 6:54
Remember to change your clocks "Spring Forward" one hour on Motzei Shabbos.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday through Friday 8:30 AM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, New time this week: 7:40 PM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now studying Sefer Yehoshua, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men and Women – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings at 7:30 PM, Zoom I.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM (except as noted). For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* For Men & Women – Zoom C (except as noted):
* Mondays: (for men only) Rabbi H. Shaps, On the Same Page Gemara, Zoom B.
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Grossman – Parshas Hashavua, 9:00 PM.
* For Women – Zoom D:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Bereishis in-Depth
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Hillel Shaps. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, Zoom E.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look-Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", Zoom H.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM, Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 349 754 2180, password Learn
Zoom C: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom D: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
Zoom E: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom F: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom I: ID: 269 840 3648, password online Pearls, phone 621690
* Outdoor Minyan – If you are interested in a Shabbos morning outdoor Minyan without a tent, subject to weather conditions, please email Ari Elias-Bachrach at email@example.com
* Advance registration for Minyanim is required and space is limited. Go to https://www.yise.org/minyan to register. If you have changes to your original registration form, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with details.
* Due to increased demand and Daylight Saving Time starting, we plan to add more Minyanim in the next few weeks. Watch your email for details.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
YISE Youth Announcements
Pesach Crafts Workshop – Bring your creative ideas for a fun Pesach building experience! Sunday, March 21, 11:00 AM on Zoom A. RSVP to email@example.com to participate. See flyer for details.
Camp Shomrai is back for another fun-filled summer with programming for children in preschool through ninth grade! Camp runs from July 5th through August 13th. For more info or to register online, visit our website at https://campshomrai.org See flyer for details.
YISE Programs and Listings
Matzah is In! Pick up Monday – Thursday 9:30 AM – 5:00 PM or Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday 6:30 PM – 8:00 PM. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to inform the office when you would like to pick up your Matzah.
The Koren Haggada – Free copies of the Young Israel edition, with commentary by Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks, Z"L, are available. Pick one up during Matzah pickup times.
Maos Chittim – People who would like to drop off checks (made out to YISE Charity Fund) or cash can place them in envelopes marked PESACH and drop them through the mail slot at the home of Yale & Sahra Ginsburg, 11700 Fulham Street, through Tuesday evening, March 23. Please do not donate to Maos Chittim through the YISE PayPal account.
YISE Board of Directors meeting – The next regular meeting will take place on Tuesday, March 16, at 8:00 PM, on Zoom. For more information, please contact email@example.com
Update: Being Social. In the past few months, YISE’s Social Committee has organized a range of programs to bring us together virtually – Trivia Night, Painting, a Purim Shpiel… We have also expressed our thanks to the Holy Cross Hospital health workers and treated the Wheaton Rescue Squad to a special dinner. A second Trivia night is scheduled for Sunday, April 25. Watch for details. Want to help? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
41st Annual Yom Hashoah v’Hagvurah Program – Featuring Irma Pretsfelder. Sunday, April 11, 7:30 PM on Zoom A. Presented by YISE & KMS. See flyer for details.
Special Donations – If you send a donation through a brokerage or other 3rd-party, please notify Simi Franco at 301-593-4465 x403 or email@example.com so that the payment can be applied to the correct member account.
Come Join Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee: Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, April 12, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration for Shomrai Preschool 2021-2022 is now open! We are excited to be offering a Torah-rich, child-centered program for children entering 2 year-old Nursery – 4 year-old Pre-K. School day runs from 8:30 AM – 3:00 PM. Extended care options available from 7:30 AM -8:30 AM and 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM. Register early for maximum savings! Visit our website for tuition rates and online registration at https://preschool.yise.org/registration For more information about the program email Sarah Dollman at email@example.com See flyer for details.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this much-needed medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax-deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Our current limited ability to Daven with a Minyan and to say Kaddish is difficult and a challenge. However, sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Sunday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The Pre-Shabbos Drasha video is available for sponsorship at $54.
Please email to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha and Halacha Shiur
* The Price Family to commemorate the 16th Yahrzeit of Stanley Billauer.
* The Konick & Arzouan Families in honor of Marvin Konick's 98th birthday.
* Bobbi and Jules Meisler in memory of Jules father, Irving Meisler, Yitzchok ben Yehudah, Z"L.
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray for a Refuah Sheleimah for Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend the Shiur.
* Anne & Scott Schlesinger to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Scott's father, Melvin Schlesinger, whose Yahrzeit is the 27th of Adar.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur
* The Konick and Arzouan Families in honor of the 98th birthday of Marvin Konick.
* Rona & Aaron Lerner to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Rona's father, Alvin Cohn, Avraham ben Yaakov HaKohen, Z"L.
Assistant Rabbi – Proba – Rabbi Yosef Postelnek
The YISE Assistant Rabbi Search is happy to introduce Rabbi Yosef Postelnek to the community. Complete details, including a video Drasha, are available online at: https://wp.yise.org/probapostelnek
* Text of Rabbi Postelnek's Shabbos Dvar Torah, "No Wasted Efforts" on Parashas Vayakhel/Pekudei is included below.
* Sunday, March 14 – 11:00 AM – Rabbi Yosef Postelnek will present a halachic, source-based exploration, "Leaving Egypt Behind: The Prohibition To Return." The shiur will last 30 minutes. There will be an opportunity for questions through the Zoom chat at the end of the session.
* Sunday, March 14 – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM – Questions and Answers. YISE members will have an opportunity to get to know our candidate, Rabbi Yosef Postelnek and his wife, Aliza. Rabbi Postelnek and Aliza will answer questions previously submitted by members. This session will be moderated by a member of the Assistant Rabbi Search Committee.
* All programs will take place on Zoom A.
* Direct link:
* Meeting ID: 416 963 9000 Passcode: 492019
* Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID and passcode.
* Recordings of the programs will be available at: https://wp.yise.org/probapostelnek
Community Programs & Listings
The Franco Foundation -This year will you be ready to say: "Let all who are hungry come and eat?" The Franco Foundation can help you fulfill the Mitzvah of Maos Chittim. The Foundation has seen a surge for requests for financial assistance, and not just at Pesach. The Foundation helps our brethren in the Washington area with the essentials of food, clothing, and shelter. Send your generous tax-deductible contribution (marked Maos Chittim) to: The Franco Foundation, 613 Bromley Street, Silver Spring, MD 20902, or through PayPal using our email Thefrancofoundation@gmail.com
Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington – These unique times continue to be difficult for so many. Over the past year, in a tangible expression of concern and love, so many of you have stepped up to make a meaningful difference in the lives of your neighbors. It has been an honor and an inspiration to work side-by-side with so many amazing volunteers in Yad Yehuda and across all our communal organizations toward the same mission: to care for our friends and neighbors in need. We are truly a holy people. Mi K’Amcha Yisrael! Please contribute to our Maos Chittim campaign at www.yadyehuda.org Wishing you and your family a safe and healthy Chag Kasher v'Sameach,
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, March 17, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
The Yad Yehuda Clothing Exchange has available hours for all members of the community to shop at no cost the next two Sundays from 10:00 AM -12 Noon. This is an opportunity for people to come and shop for beautiful, Tzanua clothing in our well-equipped showroom, while wearing masks and maintaining social distancing. Everyone must be in good health and not have been in contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19. Please sign up for a slot online by Motzei Shabbos at: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fhBnGaaLIgwaEUT4rDFUwdVKGz1_U9CeOYD-f_A10iY/edit If you have any questions or would like to make an appointment for another day, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Passover Car Cleaning to Benefit MES – Shine My Ride by Empire www.shinemyride.com is offering special pricing on car detailing and a portion of the proceeds will benefit the Mikvah Emunah Society. Interior Spruce, $35 sedan/coupe, $55 SUV/wagon/crossover/minivan (2 car minimum for mobile service). Deluxe Interior Detail $100 sedan/coupe, $155 SUV/wagon/crossover/minivan. Child Car Seat Cleaning is $20 per seat. NEW Germ & bacteria steam sanitization $50 extra. We can come to you or you can come to us! 5006 Howard Ave. Beltsville, MD. Exterior wash/tire shine add $30, wash and wax add $75. Book your appointment for 3/9 through 3/26 by email email@example.com or call 240-965-6095. For further information (not to book appointments), contact Rhonda Lehman firstname.lastname@example.org or call 301-351-1725
Penetrating Thoughts and Practical Perspectives – Thoughts on life, Torah and Middos. Based on Michtav M’Eliyahu, from Rav Eliyahu Dessler, Z"L. Mondays, 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher. Zoom – Meeting ID: 736 4190 7086, Passcode: torah. Presented by YGW Kollel Zichron Amram. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
What Happened at Sinai: An Exploration of the Sinai Revelation and the Ten Commandments – Wednesdays, 8:00 PM on Zoom. Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. Join any time! No cost. Zoom info and registration at linksgw.org/classes
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Kemp Mill Village is providing friendly phone calls and limited deliveries during the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer. See kempmillvillage.org for more information.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, March 14 – Rosh Chodesh
Limited Minyanim will take place at YISE next week, advance registration and confirmation required. You are encouraged to Daven at home at the same time as a Minyan at YISE. Shacharis: Sunday 6:30 AM/7:30 AM/8:45 AM;
Monday through Friday 6:30 AM/7:00 AM/8:45 AM. Mincha/Maariv: Sunday – Thursday: 7:05 PM.
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 6:01 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 6:29 AM, Latest Netz: 7:21 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 10:13 AM,
Earliest Mincha: 1:48 PM, Earliest Shkia: 7:14 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 8:01 PM
March 19 – 20, 2021 – 7 Nissan 5781
Light Candles: 7:01 DST
Havdalah: 8:01 DST
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, March 17 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com Website: www.yise.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday – 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Simi Franco – Office Manager