Included in the PDF are the Likutei Torah, Hamaayan, Israel Report and GWCK Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
July 23 – 24, 2021 – 15 Av 5781 – Vaeschanan/Shabbos Nachamu
Light Candles by 8:09 – Havdalah 9:13
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by the children and grandchildren of Bev Morris and Art Boyars, in honor of Shabbos Nachamu, and by Rochelle Dimont, Michele Dimont & family and the Ginsburg & Neuman families on the Shloshim of son/husband/father/brother, Chayim ben Harav Avraham Mordechai Z”L.
* Sandy and Rabbi Hal Axelrod on the birth of a granddaughter on July 16th, Basya Miriam. Mazal Tov also to Basya Miriam's parents, Eve & Yechiel Davis, and siblings Nechama Leah, Ovadyah Boruch, and Yosef Chaim of Far Rockaway, NY. Mazal Tov also to grandparents Chava & Shlomo Davis of Brooklyn, NY, and to all of the extended family members.
* Eli Hochberg on his Bar Mitzvah. Mazal Tov to his parents, Aviva & Zev, his grandparents, Bella Hochberg and Brenda & Arthur Symes, and to all of the family.
* Arleeta & Rabbi Dr. Ivan Lerner on the birth of a great-grandson to their grandchildren, Rivki & Yaakov Lichter of Baltimore. Mazal Tov to grandparents Alison & Rabbi Dr. Daniel Lerner, Miriam & Bernie Lichter and great-grandmother Joan Pincus.
* Sara Silver on the upcoming marriage of her son, Max Kates, to Yael Dina Aufrichtig of Los Angeles. Mazal Tov also to grandmother Vivian Silver.
* Marla & Marty Teichman on the marriage of their granddaughter, Hinda Meth, to Yitzchak Isaac Kinzer. Mazal Tov to the parents, Debra & ReuvenMeth and Ruthie & Rabbi Shlomo Kinzer.
* Marla & Marty Teichman on the birth of a great-grandson. Mazal Tov to the parents, Puah & Yehoshua Goldberger, and to the grandparents, Randee & Rabbi Manny Goldberger.
* Kitty Wertheimer on the engagement of her grandson, Ari Wertheimer, son of Irene & Barry Wertheimer of Potomac, to Mollie Markowitz, daughter of Suri & David Markowitz of Florida. Mazal Tov to their grandparents and siblings.
Minyan locations are listed as B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall. All Sephardi Minyanim take place in the Beit Medrash.
* Light Candles by 8:09, and not before 6:57
* Mincha: 7:00 (B), 8:10 (B), 7:15 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 8:05 (B), 8:00 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 9:13
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 and 9:15 Kiddush in a Bag is sponsored by Aviva Symes & Zev Hochberg in honor of their son Eli’s Bar Mitzvah.
YISE Youth Announcements
Shabbos Groups will take place this week from 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM, indoors. Masks required indoors for age 3+. Age 18-35 months will be located in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 3-5 years will meet in the room behind the balcony. This week only: Ages 6-9 year old girls will be inside Shomrai next door to the 3-5 year olds. Boys will be in Shomrai side yard facing Arcola under the tent. For more information, contact Michal Merkin, YISE Youth groups coordinator, at email@example.com See flyer for details.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday through Friday 8:30 AM – Zoom A, will not take place on Sunday.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday 7:00 PM – Zoom A, will not take place on Thursday.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A, will resume on Sunday, August 1.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, in the room behind the balcony, will not take place on Friday.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Megillas Eichah, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now studying Sefer Yehoshua, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men and Women – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM, on break for the summer.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Grossman – Parshas Hashavua, 9:00 PM, Zoom D.
* All other classes are on break for the summer.
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, now taking place in person in the Social Hall. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com Registration required at gwckollel.org/scp
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, ¡§A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective¡¨, will resume in the fall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Kiddushin on Wednesday evenings, 7:00 PM, will resume in August.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
* Masks are required for unvaccinated people in the YISE building, with the exception of children under the age of 3.
* There are no more social distancing requirements in the YISE building. There are no in-person Kiddushes at this time.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
YISE Programs and Listings
Minyan Moves – All three Ashkenazi Minyanim on Sunday morning, 6:30 AM, 7:30 AM and 8:45 AM, will now take place in the Belonofsky Sanctuary.
Ask the Rabbi – Come join our virtual, interactive monthly program featuring Halachos of Shabbos and holidays! This month's topic: Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur and Sukkos. Tuesday, August 24, 8:30 PM – 9:30 PM on Zoom A. The first 45 minutes are for Shailos submitted in advance and the last 15 minutes are for Q & A. Send in your questions about Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur and Sukkos to: AskTheRabbi@yise.org by Sunday, August 22. For more information or to submit questions anonymously, contact Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org To sponsor the Shiur, contact email@example.com See flyer for details.
High Holiday Seats – The High Holiday seat form and information letter were mailed this week. The deadline for holiday seats is later than usual this year. Please see the letter for information on all the dates and reply ASAP to let the shul staff and volunteers the necessary time to process your request. Also included in the mailing was information on the Yizkor Guide and the Hashomer greetings. Please also look at those letters for their deadline dates.
Yizkor Guide – The Yizkor Guide is used in all Minyanim for four Yizkor services during the year (Yom Kippur, Shemini Atzeres, Pesach and Shavuos). Since Yizkor may be said without a minyan, we are prepared to home deliver some copies of the Yizkor Guide to our Shul members who regularly say Yizkor and feel more comfortable davening at home. If you would like a home-delivered copy, please contact the Shul office at 301-593-4465 x403 or email firstname.lastname@example.org As before, an unlimited number of name listings are available in the new guide for a Yizkor Guide sponsorship of $180. Alternatively, individual name listings can be purchased for $18 each. The deadline for Yizkor Guide sponsorships or individual listings is August 9. To sign up online, go to www.yise.org/yizkor If you have questions, please contact Marc Katz at email@example.com
Kiddush in a Bag! While we are not yet back to regular in-Shul Kiddushes, we are happy to now offer Kiddush in a Bag for the 8:45 and 9:15 Minyanim. To sponsor the Kiddush in a Bag, contact Simi Franco at firstname.lastname@example.org
Come Join Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee: Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, August 2, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
Update: Being Social – In the past few months, YISE’s Social Committee has organized a range of programs to bring us together virtually, including: Jews (in our community) discussing their service in the US military, Trivia Nights, Painting with Talya, Purim Shpiel, Chagim goody bags … We have also expressed our thanks to the Holy Cross Hospital health workers, and treated the Wheaton Rescue Squad to a special dinner. As we come together again, we would like your ideas and help in organizing fun, interactive, and safe activities. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration for Shomrai Preschool 2021-2022 is now open! We are excited to be offering a Torah-rich, child-centered program for children entering 2 year-old Nursery – 4 year-old Pre-K. School day runs from 8:30 AM – 3:00 PM. Extended care options available from 7:30 AM -8:30 AM and 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM. Register early for maximum savings! Visit our website for tuition rates and online registration at https://preschool.yise.org/registration For more information about the program email Sarah Dollman at email@example.com See flyer for details.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax-deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT”L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Sunday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The Shabbos Drasha is available for sponsorship at $54.
Please email email@example.com to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in honor of a Refuah Sheleimah to Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur
* The Dimont, Ginsburg & Neuman families on the Shloshim of son/brother Chayim ben Harav Avraham Mordechai, Z"L.
Community Programs & Listings
The Unveiling for Louis A. Joseph, Z”L, will take place at 11:00 AM. Sunday, August 1, at Mt. Lebanon Cemetery.
The Unveiling for Dr. Allen Gaisin, Eliyahu ben Menachem Mendel HaKohen, Z”L, will take place at 2:00 PM. Sunday, August 1, at the Garden of Remembrance Cemetery, 14321 Comus Road, Clarksburg, MD, Section 58.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, July 28, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
The Golden Network Lunch and Learn: “Elul – A Journey to Love” with Rabbi Shmuel Leigh. Tuesday, August 10, 12 Noon – 1:00 PM at YISE. Boxed lunch from The Kosher Pastry Oven. RSVP required by August 5 to 301-732-1773 or email@example.com
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more information.
Capital Kosher Pantry Summer Collection – Please donate non-perishable items. Specially needed: canned pineapple, graham cracker crusts, olives, olive oil, Wacky Mac, yeast. Always needed: paper napkins, paper towels, tissues & toilet paper. You can buy items at your local store & place them in a Capital Kosher Pantry donation bin at Shalom, Moti’s and area Shuls, or buy online & ship directly to us! Go to: www.yadyehuda.org/kosher-pantry for more information.
Yad Yehuda Donation Policy Update – Many unsolicited items are being dropped off at Yad Yehuda’s office. We incur costs to dispose of those items. Please do not drop off: clothing/shoes/coats, household and baby items, electronics, books, Judaica/Sheimos. Donations of non-perishable food for the Capital Kosher Pantry are welcomed and appreciated.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? Izun is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Email us at email@example.com
Fundamentals of Prayer – Wednesdays, 8:00 PM on Zoom. Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. Join any time! No cost. Zoom info and registration at linksgw.org/classes
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click “Sign Up.”
Kemp Mill Village is providing friendly phone calls and limited deliveries during the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer. See kempmillvillage.org for more information.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 4:34 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 5:09 AM, Latest Netz: 6:09 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:38 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:51 PM, Earliest Shkia: 8:20 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 9:12 PM
July 30 – 31, 2021 – 22 Av 5781
Light Candles: 8:03
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, July 28 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.yise.org
Office Hours: Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM;
Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Simi Franco – Office Manager