Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
August 16 – 17, 2019 – 16 Av 5779 – Parshas Vaeschanan/Shabbos Nachamu
Light Candles by 7:44 – Havdalah 8:44
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Fay Kasser commemorating the Yahrtzeit of her father, Avrohom ben Yitzchak Tzvi Hakohen and for Shabbat Nachamu by Art Boyars in honor of his wife, Bev Morris.
* Linda & Michael Kaiser on the birth of a grandson, son of Leah Whitehill & Aaron Kaiser.
* Marsha & Yitz Kasdan and family on the birth of a great-grandson, son of Shira (Gross) & Moshe Neger. Mazal Tov to grandparents Rookie (Kasdan) & Judah Gross and Faigy & Naftali Neger, and to great-great-grandmother Evelyn (Wiener) Elbogen, Marsha's mother.
* Diana & Leonard Ruchelman on the birth of a greatgranddaughter, born to Elisheva (Shaps) & Rabbi Nossie Burger.
* Leah Paretzky on the passing of her husband, Harvey Paretzky. The funeral will take place on Sunday at 10:00 AM at Congregation Ohr Torah, 48 Edgemount Rd, Edison, NJ 08817. Shiva details will be sent via email when available.
* Light Candles by 7:44, and not before 6:36
Ashkenazi: 6:20, 6:45, 7:45 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:40 Sephardi: 7:25 Nusach Sefard: 7:40
* Shabbos ends: 8:44
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Bar Mevorach
* 8:45 Main Minyan – the Zeltser family on the Yahrtzeit of Mel Zeltser, Elimelech Yehuda HaKohen, Z"L, and by Atara & Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum welcoming Judy & Rabbi Roy Rosenbaum back to the community.
* 9:15 Minyan – Gary & Rhonda Golman in honor of Eric's engagement to Liba Chaya Laswell. The couple would like to express their immense gratitude to the 9:15 minyan, the Kemp Mill community, and Hakadosh Baruch Hu for bringing us together.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE Annual BBQ – Sunday, August 18, 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM in the Social Hall. $10 per adult, $5 per child, family max. $45. Go to www.yise.org/bbq or see flyer for details.
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, August 21, 12 Noon, Social Hall. "The Story of the Jews: A Leap of Faith", Episode 3, PBS DVD
The Man With The Truck – Mr. Rosenberg is coming to the YISE Social Hall, Monday, August 26, 6:15 PM – 9:30 PM.
YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project – Three pre-Yamim Noraim
* Sunday, September 8, 11:00 AM
* Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – "How to Prepare for Meaningful Prayer"
* Sunday, September 15, 11:00 AM
* Mrs. Sharon Freundel – "Why We Read of Rachel's Tears in Ramah on Rosh Hashanah"
* Motzei Shabbos, September 21, pre-Selichos and Kumsitz Program, 10:30 PM
* Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum – "Models of Teshuva from Tanach"
All programs are free and open to all. To help sponsor these pre-Selichos programs, email StuartRosenthal@yise.org or call (301) 980-9557.
Substitute Teachers – Shomrai Preschool is hiring substitute teachers for the 2019-2020 school year. Please contact Suri Kinzbrunner at email@example.com for more information.
High Holiday Seats – Rosh Hashanah is coming soon! Have you forgotten to reserve your seats? Blank forms are in the box outside the Belonofsky Sanctuary and the Beis Medrash. Forms are also available on the YISE website at www.yise.org/seats Please complete and forward to the Shul office as soon as possible.
Hashomer – The Rosh Hashanah Hashomer will be published soon. To include your Rosh Hashanah greetings, place an ad or submit an article, email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the YISE office as soon as possible.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a Jewish history topic, Monday, September 2, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. West in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more information, please contact
Yizkor Guide – The Yizkor Guide is used in all Minyanim for four Yizkor services during the year (Yom Kippur, Shemini Atzeres, Pesach and Shavuos.) As before, an unlimited number of name listings are available in the new guide for a Yizkor Guide sponsorship of $180. Alternatively, individual name listings can be purchased for $18 each. The deadline for Yizkor Guide sponsorships or individual listings is September 1. To sign up online, go to www.yise.org/yizkor If you have questions, please contact Marc Katz at email@example.com or Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. By signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth rooms behind the Balcony. 1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall.
Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Tot Shabbat – with Suri Kinzbrunner 10:30 AM – 11:00 AM in the toddler room for ages 2 and under.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, in the Social Hall, will resume on September 1.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evening, 7:00 PM, in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE, will resume on September 2. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org or 347-869-9361.
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver in the Small Social Hall. For more information please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: email@example.com or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM, in the Social Hall.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? Appreciating Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume in the fall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, will begin learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings in the Social Hall, when it resumes September 4.
* "On The Same Page" – Greater Washington Community Kollel community-wide learning project! Join the movement and study an Amud (page) of Gemara each week with others across the community! On the Same Page recently completed Maseches Rosh Hashana and will begin Maseches Taanis on September 1. Now is the perfect time to join! Men's classes include Sundays, 9:45 AM at YISE (part of Brunch and Learn) and Mondays, 8:15 PM (part of CLAS).
* Study on-the-go with weekly audio/video lectures
* Learn with an individually-selected study partner
* Explore illuminating insights on the Amud, delivered directly into your inbox
To register: gwckollel.org/onthesamepage For more info, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com or 347-869-9361.
Community Programs and Listings
Shabbos afternoon Shiur at University Towers – 1121 University Blvd W, Apt 516, on Shabbos, August 17 at 4:30 PM. Tzurba M'Rabanan learning group meets every Shabbos. Men's group at 3:00 PM at the home of Moshe & Rose Litwack, 11302 Monticello Ave. Women's group at 4:45 PM at the home of Elaine Rubin, 4 Fulham Court.
The Message of Shabbos: Live to Praise Hashem – Shiur for women with Rav Beinish Ginsburg, Sunday, August 18, 8:00 PM, at 3209 Fallstaff Road, Rear Building, Baltimore, MD. Free of charge. Rav Ginsburg's English seforim will be available for purchase at the shiur. Rav Ginsburg is a well-known teacher at Michlala Jerusalem College for Women and Yeshivat Netiv Aryeh. Rav Ginsburg was raised in Silver Spring and currently resides in Ramat Beit Shemesh with his wife and family. Contact Rachel at 425-442-9296 for more information.
Post High School Girls Shiur – Tuesday night, August 20, 8:30 PM at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Road. This week's Shiur will be given by Rabbi Mittelman.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – No meeting at YISE on Wednesday, August 21. The next meeting at YISE will be Wednesday, August 28, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. Check www.KempMillToastmasters.com for updates. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Ovadia Hayat at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
Genealogy in the Comics: A Kids' Lecture for Grownups – Daniel Horowitz, genealogy expert of MyHeritage, will speak at a JGSGW Special August Workshop, co-sponsored with Bender JCC, Sunday, August 25, at the Bender JCC, 6125 Montrose Road, Rockville, Maryland. 1:00 PM Schmooze and Mavens Tables, 1:30PM Meeting and Speaker.
Census Bureau Is Hiring.- The Census Bureau will be hiring thousands of people for the 2020 Census. More information and apply at https://2020census.gov/en/jobs
MitzvahCycle 2019 – Sunday, September 8. MitzvahCycle is an outdoor ride for men and women along the C&O canal or a road option nearby. Start and end at Rileys Lock. MitzvahSpin is an indoor option at Biker Barre in Cabin John Maryland for women only. Support your friends and neighbors facing medical crises and have fun at the same time! Ride. Sponsor. Volunteer: www.MitzvahCycle.org People facing medical challenges count on BCGW and we count on you!
Inspiration in the New Year – Join AMIT Birah Chapter of Greater Washington, DC on Tuesday, September 17 at 7:30 PM for keynote speaker: Dr. Miryam Kiderman, PsyD. The event will take place at a private home in Silver Spring. The cost is $18. Light refreshments will be served. Contact: AMIT 410-484-2223 or Robbiep@amitchildren.org for more information or register online at www.amitchildren.org/events Daf Yomi Shiur meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before the YISE late Mincha.
13th Global Siyum Hashas – GWCK invites men and women of the community to join them for an inspiring trip to the 13th Global Siyum Hashas of Daf Yomi at Met Life Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ, January 1, 2020 – 1:00pm. GWCK will be arranging bus transportation to and from the Siyum Hashas. For more information and to reserve your seat on the bus www.gwckollel.org/siyumhashas
The Greater DC Diaper Bank empowers families and individuals in need throughout DC, Maryland, and Virginia by providing an adequate and reliable source for basic baby needs and personal hygiene products. You can donate diapers and other items in Kemp Mill at the Licht home, 11609 Yeatman Terrace. Leave your donation in the red bin by the front door. Include your contact information so the Diaper Bank can let you know how much your donation is appreciated. To find out more about the work DC Diaper Bank does, visit www.dcdiaperbank.org If you have questions, contact Panina Licht at email@example.com
Capital Kosher Pantry – The shelves at Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry need restocking. Please help us replenish the foods so very needed by your friends and neighbors. Items most needed at this time include: Almond or soy milk, apple juice, canned fruit, cereals, granola/snack bars, healthy grains (farro, rice mixes), juice packs, pancake syrup, pareve crackers, pasta sauce, pizza sauce, rice cakes and vegetarian baked beans. Please DO NOT donate pasta or matzah. All items must be factory sealed in unbreakable containers, Kosher and well within the use-by date.
Donation boxes are located in area shuls, Berman Hebrew Academy, Moti's Market, Shalom Kosher, Torah School, YGW Girls Division and in front of Yad Yehuda House at 1910 University Boulevard West. Please place only packaged food donations in the boxes. You may also visit yadyehuda.org/pantry to shop online and have products shipped directly to the Pantry. Our friends and neighbors in need rely on your generous assistance. Thank you so much for doing your part.
Kollel Dirshu of Silver Spring is studying Maseches Gittin at the YGW. Daily morning shiur given by Rabbi Eli Reingold at 5:45 AM and evening shiur by Ranon Cortell and Pinchas Werner at 9:00 PM. Chavrusah are also available during these learning times. For more information and to join our learning program please contact Hirsh Komarow (301) 681-1646; firstname.lastname@example.org
Dirshu Mishnah Brurah – Learn Chelek Daled with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Learn the Halachos of Eruvin and Techumin. Finish the Chelek in eleven months! Monday through Thursday at YISE after Maariv. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday August 18 Monday August 19 Tuesday August 20 Wednesday August 21 Thursday August 22 Friday August 23
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 7:40 7:40 7:40 7:40 7:40 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:35 7:35 7:35 7:35 7:35
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:34 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:47 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:46 PM
August 23 – 24, 2019 – 23 Av 5779
Light Candles: Friday by 7:34 – Havdalah: 8:33
* Light Candles by 7:34, and not before 6:28
Ashkenazi: 6:10, 6:35, 7:35 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:30 Sephardi: 7:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:30
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:33
Sunday, August 18 YISE Annual Barbecue. 3:00 PM
Wednesday, August 21 Senior Lunch, 12 Noon
Shabbos, August 24 Scholar in Residence, Rabbi Shay Schachter
Monday, August 26 The Man With The Truck, 6:15 PM
Shabbos, September 14 Meat & Greet, 1:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, August 21 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager