Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
August 12 – 13, 2022 – 16 Av 5782 – Parshas Vaeschanan/ Shabbos Nachamu
Light Candles by 7:48 – Havdalah 8:49
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored by Art Boyars in honor of his wife, Beverly Morris, and by Fay Kasser & Family in memory of Fay's father, Avraham Ben Yitzchok Tzvi HaKohain, Z"L, on the 17th of Av.
* Rachel & Rafi Cattan on the Bar Mitzvah of their son Noam. Mazal Tov to Noam's siblings, Arielle and Eitan, and to all of the extended family that are here to celebrate the Bar Mitzvah.
* Sara Silver on the Bar Mitzvah of her grandson Tani Kates, son of Eli & Jacob Kates of Baltimore. Mazal Tov also to great-grandmother Vivian Silver.
* Lew Sosnowik on the birth of a great-grandson, Adiv Moshe, born to parents Esther & Brian Linder of Plainview, Long Island. Mazal Tov to grandparents Fran & Michael Sosnowik and Susan Sosnowik.
* Mindy & Shmuel Tolchinsky on the birth of a granddaughter, Devora, born to Sarah & Zvi Tolchinsky of Cleveland, OH. Mazal Tov to Devora's siblings, to grandparents Miriam & Sheldon Feinstein, to great-grandparents Janet Rottenberg and Yehuda Tolchinsky, and to all of the aunts, uncles, and cousins.
* Miriam & Jeff Zuckerman on the engagement of their son Eliezer to Rina Breger, daughter of Elisheva & Kalman Breger of Spring Valley, NY.
* Rebbetzin Atara Rosenbaum on the passing of her mother, Sarah Braun. The funeral took place on Sunday.
Minyan locations are listed as B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall, LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis Medrash
* Light Candles by 7:48, and not before 6:40
* Mincha: 6:25 (Plag, S), 6:50 (B), 7:50 (B), 7:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (LBM), 8:30 (Sephardi, S)
The Sephardi Minyan will take place in the Social Hall in honor of the Bar Mitzvah of Noam Cattan. The 9:15 Minyan will take place in the Beis Medrash.
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 7:45 (B), 7:40 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends: 8:49
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Yonatan Gorin
* 9:15 Minyan Rabbi Moshe Holzer
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur Rabbi Binyamin Sanders
The Shiur will take place in front part of the Small Social Hall.
* Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura Rabbi Moshe Holzer
* Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* The Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by the Hashkamah Minyan Group.
* The Shul Kiddush is sponsored by Rachel & Rafi Cattan in honor of their son Noam's Bar Mitzvah.
* Any person eligible for a fully FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine (16 years of age or older), but who chooses to not be vaccinated may attend YISE Minyanim and events with the following guidelines. Unvaccinated individuals must remain masked at all times while in the Shul building, including at Kiddushes and/or other events containing food. Masks may not be removed to eat or drink. Exceptions will be made for private functions being held at the Shul, but that are not Shul sponsored events.
* Anyone with any of the following symptoms should not come to shul: fever of 100.4 degrees or higher, chills, muscle aches, sore throat, severe cough, headache, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, congestion or runny nose, or new loss of sense of taste or smell. If you have tested positive for COVID, you should follow the CDC guidelines.
* Masks are now optional for vaccinated adults and for children under 16.
* There are no social distancing requirements in the YISE building.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
YISE Youth Announcements
Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, August 13, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends. Age 18-36 months (Mommy & me) in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 2-5 years (drop off) in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk over to the Yeshiva. There will be NO Shabbos youth group for Boys ages 6-9 this Shabbos, August 13 and next Shabbos August 20. The other Shabbos groups will take place as usual. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com
Calling All Rising 5th and 6th Grade Boys!! Rabbi Rosenbaum is learning weekly with rising 5th and 6th grade boys one hour before Mincha in the YISE Social Hall. Bring your hard questions! Refreshments will be served. The Shiur will NOT meet this Shabbos, August 13.
Parsha in the Park – Meet up with your buddies in the park, hear some Parsha insights, and cool off with delicious treats! 4:00 PM in the Kemp Mill Urban Park (across from YISE) on August 13 and August 20. See flyer for details.
YISE Programs and Listings
Welcome new members voted in last week at the latest board meeting: Dr. Jonathan Cottrell and Jules & Caren Szanton.
Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura – A weekly Chabura in the Nesivos Shalom on the Parsha. Delve into the deeper dimensions of the Parsha and Holidays by learning the Nesivos Shalom's weekly insights. Begins at 8:55 AM Shabbos morning and will meet this week in the Large Beis Medrash. The Shiur will be given by Rabbi Moshe Holzer this Shabbos.
Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur – Rabbi Binyamin Sanders will give the Gemara Shiur after the Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush, learning Maseches Sanhedrin, in the front part of the Small Social Hall.
Seeing the Hand of Hashem…In History – Presented by the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project. Next lecture with Mrs. Channah Cohen on Sunday, August, 21, 10:30 AM in person at YISE and Zoom A. Please RSVP by Tuesday, August 16, to firstname.lastname@example.org with the number who will attend in person, as a light brunch will be served after the presentation. Recordings at wp.yise.org/hand-of-hashem See flyer for details.
High Holiday Mailing – The High Holiday mailing with information about seats, child care, Yizkor and Hashomer greetings has been sent to all members. You can also go to www.yise.org for more information, including downloadable seat forms, online registration for child care and online sponsorship of the Yizkor guide.
Living Shabbos – Join YISE young professionals for a new series on the laws of Shabbos with Rabbi Postelnek. Tuesdays, 8:15 PM – 9:00 PM, at the home of David & Tamara Goodman, 11611 Kemp Mill Road, will resume on Tuesday, August 23. For questions or to join the WhatsApp group contact Rabbi Postelnek at email@example.com Recordings available at https://wp.yise.org/living-shabbos See flyer for details.
Shabbos Groups Leader – Are you a teenage boy who wants to make a real difference? Be a Shabbos Groups leader. Lead Tefillah, Parsha and games for boys ages 6 to 9. For more information, contact Esti Thurman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested in starting a new 5th-6th grade girls Shabbos group this fall? YISE Youth is looking for a creative, mature older teen or adult to create a Shabbos morning program for this important age group. This is a paid position. Please contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com to learn more about this position or to apply.
Kiddush Volunteers Needed! As we return to a regular schedule of Kiddushes, volunteers are needed from ALL Minyanim to help set up and clean up for Kiddushes on Shabbos morning. Times vary. Let us know when you are available. Contact Barbara Price at 301-332-8181.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, a part of YISE's Chesed Committee, has a current need at this time. Please sign to volunteer if you can. For more information or if you need help signing up, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301- 754-1517, email@example.com
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Thank you to the Shiurim Sponsors for this Past Week:
8:45 Minyan Dvar Torah
* For Shabbat Nachamu by Art Boyars in honor of his wife, Beverly Morris.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur, Shabbos Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
4. Yom Tov Drasha Sponsorships are $72 each.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Options for in-person and remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to:
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15- minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15- minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:00 PM, Zoom A, will resume on Monday, August 15.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A, will resume on Sunday, August 21.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM breakfast, 9:50 AM Shiurim, in the Social Hall, will resume in Elul.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C, will resume on Sunday, August 21.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info., contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361, will resume in Elul.
* SCP (Semichat Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM. Join the fastest growing Halacha learning program in the world! Now back in person at YISE. Register at gwckollel.org/scp
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:20 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* Chavrusa Learning – Monday nights in the Social Hall, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM. For more information, contact Rabbi Levy 240-423-8810.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Mondays at 9:00 AM, studying Parashas Hashavua, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", is on summer break.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Metzia. Wednesday evenings, 7:30 PM, will resume in September.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 833 3477 1595, password RabbiHyatt
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
* In honor of Bev Morris, by her husband, Art Boyars, on their Shabbat Nachamu meet-aversary!
Community Programs & Listings
Condolences to Rabbi Marvin Goldman on the loss of his sister, Elkie Rosenwasser. The funeral took place on Sunday. Rabbi Goldman is observing Shiva out of town and can be reached at 845-798-3181.
Kidney Donation Needed – Mr. Gerry Segelman, father of Micah Segelman, is in need of a kidney transplant. If you would consider being a kidney donor, please contact Rabbi Chaim Steinmetz at Renewal for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org or 718-431-9831 ext 209.
The Capital Closet (formerly The Clothing Exchange) will be open to this community this Sunday, August 14, from 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM. Come peruse our beautiful, curated selection of clothing for men, women and children, as well as Torah School uniforms! Our address is 1910 University Blvd, West in Silver Spring. We're in the brick house at the back of the parking lot. There is no charge for items in The Capital Closet, but donations to Yad Yehuda are always appreciated. We are unable to accept clothing donations at this time, with the exception of Torah School uniforms in pristine condition. For more information contact: email@example.com
Men's Night Swim @ Parkland Pool – Monday evenings, 9:15 PM – 10:05 PM. August 15, 22, 29 and September 5. $10/swimmer, $7 if 2 or more in a group.
Ashkenazi Jewish Genetic Diseases, Screening and Testing – A Sanofi Educational Program presented by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington on Wednesday, August 17, 8:30 PM, free on Zoom. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org to receive the Zoom link.
Yahrzeit of Avi West – The family of Avi West, Z"L, is observing his Yahrzeit with a virtual Siyum Tanakh and memorial on Tuesday, August 23 at 10:00 AM. The Siyum will take place on Zoom, Meeting ID: 820 3484 8827, Passcode: 473695.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – No meeting on August 17. Next meeting will take place on Wednesday, August 24, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM, in-person in the YISE Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Alshich on the Parsha with Rabbi Levy – Shabbat afternoon between Mincha and Maariv in the Franco Beit Midrash.
Zoom Shiurim with Rabbi Levy – Monday through Friday on Zoom, Meeting ID: 636 563 5989. Alshich – 9:20 AM – 10:15 AM. Gemara Ribit 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM. Hilchot Lashon Hara 12:45 PM – 1:45 PM.
Mechanech.com is a tutoring platform based in Boca Raton Synagogue, matching tutors and parents of students in Jewish communities across the US and Canada. They provide tutors in both Judaic and English subjects. For more info., email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 347-210-6584.
MitzvahCycle/MitzvahRun 2022 – Join Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington on Sunday, September 11, to bike, run or walk to support patients and their loved ones in our community. Fun, food and family-friendly activities. Register at www.mitzvahcycle.org Email email@example.com for more info.
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT"L, with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Dirshu – Please join Dirshu, which began Bava Metzia on December 20. Shiur options at YGW: Monday – Friday, 5:45 AM (R. Reingold) or Monday – Thursday, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM (R. Cortell/R. Werner). About 2.5 Daf covered each week.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Siddur with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact email@example.com, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more info.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online weekdays via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM. Shabbos in-person 1-1/2 hours before the main YISE Mincha, at the Yeshiva.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 4:59 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 5:30 AM, Latest Netz: 6:27 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:46 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:47 PM, Earliest Shkia: 7:56 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim 8:48 PM
August 19 – 20, 2022 – 23 Av 5782
Parshas Eikev/Mevorchim Hachodesh
* Light Candles by 7:39, but not before 6:32
* Mincha: 6:15 (Plag, S), 6:40 (B), 7:40 (B), 7:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 7:35 (B), 7:30 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 8:39
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, August 17 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 Email: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM,
Friday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager