Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
January 24 – 25, 2020 – 28 Teves 5780 – Parshas Vaera/Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 5:01 – Havdalah 6:03
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Yocheved Arzouan and family, in heartfelt gratitude to our amazing community for their outpouring of support, comforting visits, donations and acts of Chesed performed in memory of our beloved late brother, Moshe Lasry, Z"L, from Yerushalayim.
* Lucas Druskin on his engagement to Malya Levin, daughter of Ilana & Rabbi Binyamin Levin of Charlotte, NC.
* Sahra & Yale Ginsburg on the birth of a granddaughter, Chana Tova, to parents Miryam & Naftali Ginsburg of Teaneck, NJ. Mazal Tov to the greatgrandmothers, Faith Ginsburg and Rochelle Dimont, great-uncle Raph Ginsburg, and to the extended Ginsburg and Dimont families.
* Sahra & Yale Ginsburg on the Pidyon Haben of their grandson, Meir Gershon, son of Devora & Elazar Ginsburg of Washington Heights, NY. Mazal Tov to the great-grandmothers, Faith Ginsburg and Rochelle Dimont, great-uncle Raph Ginsburg, and to the extended Ginsburg and Dimont families.
* Becky & Yitzchak Langer on the birth of a son. Mazal Tov to grandparents Sue & Ray White and Anne & Tom Langer. The Shalom Zachor will take place at the Langer home, 718 Horton Drive, at 8:30 PM.
* Arleeta & Rabbi Dr. Ivan Lerner on the birth of a great-granddaughter born to their grandchildren Shoshanah (Miller) & Shlomo Zalman Kaplan. Mazal Tov to great-grandparents Ilene & Henry Miller and to grandparents D'vorah & Rabbi Shmuel Miller, Beth Kaplan and Chaim Kaplan.
* Light Candles by 5:01
Ashkenazi: 5:05 Sephardi: 5:00 Nusach Sefard: 5:05
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 No Youth Minyan this Shabbos. Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00 Sephardi: 4:45 Nusach Sefard: 5:00
* Shabbos ends: 6:03
* 8:00, 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi – "Sephardic Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Dovie, Eli, Noa, and Yonah Shimoff in honor of their mother, Sharon's, 40th birthday.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Shiur after Mincha.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume February 9.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by Classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, in the Large Social Hall. Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM, in the Small Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah,
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An indepth analysis
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver in the Large Social Hall. For more information please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: email@example.com or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Small Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM, in the Social Hall
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for men and women, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, in the Social Hall at 7:50 PM, will resume February 5.
Tax Deductible Statements for the Shul and the YISE Charity Fund have been either emailed or mailed out. If you did not receive yours, please contact email@example.com or call 301-593-4465×403 to request them.
YISE Programs and Listings
Attention 8:45 Minyan Attendees: Our Spirits are Low – Our supply of liquor has been depleted. Thank you to the previous contributors. For those who would like to assist in replenishing the liquor, please send payment to YISE, earmark: 8:45 Minyan L'Chaim Group. Unfortunately, the liquor store does not accept pledges. Suggested donation $80.
Dor l'Dor – Come join Dor l'Dor: the Family Chevrusah-style Learning in a fun environment, this Motzei Shabbos, January 25, 7:30 PM in the YISE Social Hall. This Dor l'Dor is sponsored by Debbie and Jeff Weinstein and family in honor of Debbie's mother's Yahrzeit, Leah Bat Dovid. Delicious Pizza! Interactive Discussions! Raffle of Exciting Prizes! To sponsor this program, contact Michael Shimoff at firstname.lastname@example.org
Ruach Minyan – Hold the date for the next Ruach Minyan on January 31 at 5:10 PM sharp. Bring the family and invite your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic! For more information, contact email@example.com
Camp Shomrai 2020 is open for registration! Programs for campers entering 2-year-old Preschool through 9th grade. Camp Dates: Monday, June 29 -Thursday, August 13. Register online at https://campshomrai.campapplications.com Register before February 1 to save on registration and get a bonus week! For more information contact Sarah Dollman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Shomrai Preschool 2020-2021 – Online registration is now open for children ages 2 to 5 years old with customizable extended care options from 7:30 AM to 6:00 PM. Visit preschool.yise.org or email email@example.com for more information or to schedule a tour. Ask about our special, deeply reduced tuition for incoming 2-year-olds!
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, February 3, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. West in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517.
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, February 5, 12 Noon, Social Hall. Dr. Alan Breitler, Great Scientists Series.
GWCK Shabbaton – Save the date! Parshas Beshalach, February 7 – 8 at YISE. An Inspirational Shabbos Connecting through Torah, Tefillah, and Song! See flyer for details.
Tech Cafe – FREE One-on-One Technology Tutoring by Teens, Sunday, February 9, 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM. Sign up at www.yise.org/techcafe See flyer for details.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will NOT meet this Shabbos.
Please join us this week for Groups: 2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth rooms behind the balcony. 1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Tot Shabbat – with Suri Kinzbrunner 10:30 AM – 11:00 AM in the toddler room for ages 2 and under.
Pizza Making – for Middle school boys, Sunday, January 26, 10:00 AM – 11:30 AM at Ben Yehuda Pizza. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 24. $9 per person, including tour, pizza making, 2 slices of pizza and a soda. See flyer for details.
Midrash, Manicures and Milkshakes – for women and girls of all ages, Motzei Shabbos, February 1, 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM in the Social Hall. $5 per person, max. $20 per family. RSVP to email@example.com See flyer for details.
Community Programs & Listings
Tzurba M'Rabanan – text-based Halacha Sefer learning group meets every Shabbos. Men's group at 3:00 PM at the home of Moshe & Rose Litwack, 11302 Monticello Ave. Women's group Oneg at 4:15 PM, class at 4:30 PM, at the home of Josh & Mickie Breitstein, 1215 North Belgrade Road. Each class is independent – drop-ins welcome.
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, January 25, 3:00 PM at 1121 University Blvd. West Apt. 516.
Free Webinars on Interviewing. – Andy LaCivita of Milewalk Academy will provide a series of four free webinars on interviewing, on January 28 and 30, at 12:00 Noon. For more information and to register, go to: https://www.milewalkacademy.com/andrew-lacivita-job-interview-mastery-workshop
Post High School Girls Shiur – Tuesday night, January 28, 8:30 PM at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Road. This week the Shiur will be given by Allison Ginsberg.
Daf Yomi Shiur meets at the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, January 29, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
The Golden Network Caregiver Support Group will meet on Sunday, February 2, from 10:15 AM-11:15 AM at KMS – room F. This group is geared towards Jewish women whose spouses are living at home or are in a medical facility and are affected by a chronic physical illness or a cognitive condition. For more information or to enter KMS for the meeting, please contact Barbara Trainin Blank: email@example.com or (301) 681-2964.
Visual Artist? Join the monthly Jewish Women's Creative Makers group. We meet monthly to share works in any and every visual media that were created on a common theme. Any questions, please contact Chava Kern at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-913-3155 (texts preferred).
Capital Kosher Pantry Updates:
* We Need Your Egg Cartons: Please save dozen-sized egg cartons for the Capital Kosher Pantry. Simply put your empty egg cartons in a box or bag and place them in a CKP donation bin.
* Grape Juice Needed: Our supply is very low! Please donate plastic bottles of grape juice to the Capital Kosher Pantry. Place them in a CKP donation bin or order online and ship directly to CKP at: yadyehuda.org/pantry-wishlist
Capital Kosher Pantry donations bins are located in local schools, shuls, Shalom Kosher, Moti's Market or outside Yad Yehuda House (1910 University Blvd West, 20902).
The Clothing Exchange – We have a full showroom of children's, women's and men's clothing and coats, offered to the community free of charge. Run by dedicated volunteers, the Clothing Exchange is a place where everyone can feel comfortable shopping and donating new clothing. We're open every Sunday from 9:30 AM – 10:30 AM at the Yad Yehuda House, 1910 University Blvd. West, unless otherwise noted. We accept donations of new or like-new Shabbos or business casual clothing in current styles. We only stock items that are new or in pristine condition, as is befitting members of our community. We are not able to accept baby clothing, toys & stuffed animals, housewares, linens, undergarments or shoes.
Partners in Tefillah matches people with others in need of similar assistance from Hashem. The feedback we have received so far has been amazing. You, too, can Daven for someone else in the community and have them daven for you. May Hashem answer all your prayers. Please visit www.yadyehuda.org/partners-in-tefillah to learn more and to sign up.
Kollel Dirshu of Silver Spring is studying Maseches Gittin at the YGW. Daily morning shiur given by Rabbi Eli Reingold at 5:45 AM and evening shiur by Ranon Cortell and Pinchas Werner at 9:00 PM. Chavrusah are also available during these learning times. For more information and to join our learning program please contact Hirsh Komarow (301) 681-1646; email@example.com
Dirshu Mishnah Brurah – Learn Chelek Daled with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Learn the Halachos of Eruvin and Techumin. Finish the Chelek in eleven months! Monday through Thursday at the YGW at 8:00 PM. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click ¡§Sign Up.¡¨
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 12:30 PM – 1:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday January 26 Monday, Jan. 27 Rosh Chodesh Tuesday January 28 Wednesday January 29 Thursday January 30 Friday January 31
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 5:10 5:10 / 7:30 5:10 / 7:30 5:10 / 7:30 5:10 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 5:05 5:05 5:05 5:05 5:05
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:25 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:48 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:52 PM
January 31 – February 1, 2020 – 6 Shevat 5780
Light Candles: Friday by 5:09 – Havdalah: 6:11
* Light Candles by 5:09
Ashkenazi: 5:10 Sephardi: 5:05 Nusach Sefard: 5:10
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:05 Sephardi: 4:50 Nusach Sefard: 5:05
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:11
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 25 Dor L'Dor, 7:30 PM
Friday, January 31 Ruach Minyan, 5:10 PM
Wednesday, February 5 Senior Lunch, 12 Noon
Shabbos, February 7 – 8 GWCK Shabbaton
Sunday, February 9 Tech Cafe, 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, January 29 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday: 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager