Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
December 31, 2021 – January 1, 2022 – 28 Teves 5782 – Vaera/Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 4:37 – Havdalah 5:41
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Sheila Gaisin & Family to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Leon Millman, Leib Ben Avraham, Z"L, beloved father & grandfather, on the 25th of Teves and
anonymously in memory of three very special Pittsburgh neighbors who did much for our world: Rabbi Dr. Abraham (Shia) Twersky, Dr. Jonas Salk and Fred Rogers of Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood.
* Shulie & Ronnie Bergman on the birth of a grandson, Shmuel Azaryah, born to their children, Esther & Eli Bergman. Mazal Tov to all of the aunts, uncles, and cousins.
* Tzivia Bramson on the birth of her great-grandsons, Yaakov Schwartz, son of Malki & Moshie Schwartz, grandson of Libby Waidenbaum, and Ephraim Shmuel, son of Tamar & Avi Chaitovsky, grandson of Esther & Myron Chaitovsky.
* Arleeta & Rabbi Dr. Ivan Lerner on the engagement of their granddaughter, Hadassah Lerner, daughter of Tamar & Rabbi Michoel Lerner of Kiryat Sefer, to Yosef Applebaum, son of Michla & Yisroel Applebaum. Mazel Tov also to grandmother Ilene Miller.
* Lois & Sid Meyers on the marriage of their grandson Eliyahu (Eli) Meyers, son of Hadassa & Dr. Oren Meyers of Cleveland, to Yehudis Dick, daughter of Esther & Simcha Dick of Toronto.
* Sol Broder on the passing of his brother, Sam Broder, grandfather of Yoni Schwarz and uncle of Alan Broder and Sharie Zwillinger. The funeral took place on Friday. Sol will receive phone calls during Shiva between 1:00 PM and 6:00 PM on Sunday through Wednesday at 301-649-5575.
Minyan locations are listed as B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall. LBM = Large Beis Medrash
* Light Candles by 4:37
* Mincha: 4:40 (B), 4:30 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen Minyan)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 4:35 (B), 4:30 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 5:41
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Rabbi Postelnek
* Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Menachem Winter
* 8:45 Minyan Kiddush in a Bag is sponsored by Faith Ginsburg to commemorate the Yahrzeits of her mother-in-law, Sarah Ginsberg, Sarah Chaya Bas Nassan, Z"L, and her brother-in-law, Sammy Schwartz, Yeshaiahu Asher Ben Yoale Fishel, Z"L.
* The YISE Board has mandated that everyone 16 and older who is medically eligible for an FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 in order to enter the Shul building.
* Masks are required for ALL people in the YISE Arcola building, whether vaccinated or unvaccinated, except for children under the age of 2.
* Given the current surge in COVID cases, we ask that you not remove your mask in Shul for any reason. If you need to remove your mask, please step out of the Shul.
* There are no social distancing requirements in the YISE building. There are no in-person Kiddushes at this time.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15- minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday 7:30 PM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Hillel Shaps – Unraveling the Navi: Melachim Aleph
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more information, contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara – in person (Social Hall) and on Zoom F.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom D.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom H.
* For Women – Zoom I
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Sefer Bereishis
* SCP (Semichat Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM. A new semester began on October 19. Join the fastest growing Halacha learning program in the world! Now back in person at YISE. Register at gwckollel.org/scp
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:20 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Mondays at 9:00 AM, studying Parashas Hashavua, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", Zoom E.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Kama 7th Perek Merubah. Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM, Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom E: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom F: ID: 349 754 2180, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Zoom I: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
YISE Youth Announcements
The Teen Minyan will NOT meet this Shabbos, January 1.
Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, January 1, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends. Masks required indoors for age 2+. Age 18-36 months (Mommy & me) in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 2-5 years (drop off) in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk over to the Yeshiva. For more information, contact Talya Miller, YISE Youth groups coordinator, at email@example.com
Dor L'Dor – The Family Chevrusah-style Learning in a fun environment! Next session will take place Motzei Shabbos, January 8, 7:00 PM in the Social Hall. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to sponsor. See flyer for details.
YISE Programs and Listings
Membership Directory Updates – An email was sent Tuesday morning to all YISE members for which we have an email address. The purpose of the email is to enable us to ensure that the Shul's database is up to date with each member's phone numbers and email addresses in preparation for an updated membership directory. If you did not receive the email, please check spam/junk/trash folders. If you did not receive the email, please send a note to email@example.com and a copy will be sent to you. Thank you for your cooperation.
Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura – A weekly Chabura in the Nesivos Shalom on the Parsha. Delve into the deeper dimensions of the Parsha and Holidays by learning the Nesivos Shalom's weekly insights. Begins at 8:55 AM Shabbos mornings in the Social Hall. This week's Shiur will be given by Rabbi Postelnek.
Ask the Rabbi: Lashon Hora – Recording available at https://wp.yise.org/ask-the-rabbi
Kashrus in the Kitchen – Learn the background and practical laws of Kashrus. Tuesdays, 8:15 PM – 9:00 PM, at the home of David & Tamara Goodman: 11611 Kemp Mill Road. Masks optional. Given by Rabbi Postelnek. For questions or to join the WhatsApp group, contact Rabbi Postelnek at 571-340-0227 or firstname.lastname@example.org Recordings available at https://wp.yise.org/kashrus-kitchen
Come Join Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee: Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, January 3, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
Book Repair 101 with Roberta Redfern – Repair your Sefarim and other treasured books. Presented by YISE Youth for teens and adults. Sunday, January 9, 2:00 PM in the Social Hall. $10 per person. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 4. See flyer for details.
Kiddush in a Bag! While we are not yet back to regular in-Shul Kiddushes, we are happy to now offer Kiddush in a Bag for the 8:45 Minyan. To sponsor the Kiddush in a Bag, contact Simi Franco at email@example.com
Volunteers Are Needed Weekly to help assemble Kiddush in a Bag. If you can help please contact Simi Franco at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593- 4465 x403.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax-deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
* Simi Franco wishes a happy belated birthday to her birthday buddy, Melanie Karlin.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
Please email email@example.com to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to the Shiurim sponsors for this Past Week:
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in honor of a Refuah Sheleimah to Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Rochelle Dimont and Family in memory of Chayim Dimont, Chayim Ben HaRav Avraham Mordechai, Z"L.
* David & Judy Marwick in honor of Shirley Sperling's 91st birthday on 21 Teves.
* Michelle & Douglas Shelling in commemoration of Michelle's father's Yahrzeit, Morris Weiner, Moshe Ben Reuven, Z"L, on the 26th of Teves.
8:45 Minyan Drasha
* Mark Livingston and family in memory of his mother and with thanks to Rabbi Rosenbaum and the community for their support during this difficult time.
Community Programs & Listings
The Golden Network – Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur for men & women is re-starting on Mondays at 9:00 AM, studying Parashas Hashavua.
Registration for Baseball Is Now Open! Ko-ach Sports league for boys in 1st through 5th grades. Now in our 6th year! New for 2022: All 6th – through 8th grade boys are invited to join Major League Baseball, a new older division of Ko-ach Sports. Little League rules will be used which include kid pitch, stealing, bunting and playoffs. All games on Sundays at White Oak Middle School. Season begins Sunday, March 27. For more information and registration, go to www.ko-achsports.com Play Ball!
I Got You Covered – Being Motzi Others in Brochos – Federal Holiday Learning Program with Kollel Zichron Amram. Sunday, January 2 at YGW Boys Campus and on Zoom: Meeting ID: 892 627 5529, passcode 1216613. Davening 8:00 AM, breakfast 9:00 AM, Chevrusa learning 9:30 AM, Shiur with Rabbi Yaakov Hopfer, Rav of Shearith Israel Congregation, President of Vaad Harabanim of Baltimore, 10:40 AM – 11:20 AM. For questions, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at firstname.lastname@example.org or 240-858-2041.
The Creation Code – How the Holy Hebrew Language, Lashon Hakodesh, contains secrets that define reality itself. Part two on Wednesday, January 5, 8:00 PM on Zoom F. Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. More info. and registration at https://linksgw.org/classes
The Capital Closet of Yad Yehuda (formerly the Clothing Exchange) will be open to the community this Sunday, January 2, from 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM, at 1910 University Blvd. West. Come peruse our beautiful, curated selection of winter clothing for men, women and children. Masks are required in the Capital Closet. If you prefer to schedule a private shopping appointment, please email Naomi Carmel at email@example.com There is no charge for items in The Capital Closet, but donations to Yad Yehuda are always appreciated.
Women's Online Shiur with Rabbi Yehoshua Levy- Free 1-hour shiur on Zoom on the first and third Sundays of each month at 7:15 PM. Topic: Eishet Hayil, with principles from Mesilat Yesharim and weekly Sidra. In English. All levels of ability are welcome. You needn't attend every Shiur, but RSVPs are requested. Contact Shiur Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT"L, with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Dirshu- Please join Dirshu as it began Bava Metzia on December 20. Shiur options at YGW: Monday – Friday, 5:45 AM (R. Reingold) or Monday – Thursday, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM (R. Cortell/R. Werner). About 2.5 Daf covered each week.
Join the Mikvah Emunah Society – MES asks for assistance twice a year – once through an event, and then through membership fees. Membership, only $30 per month, includes user fees and provides educational opportunities, but most importantly keeps our community strong and thriving. The MES urges all who live in our community to join by becoming a member. Visit http://www.mikvahemunah.com/membership to show your support.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, January 5, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Learning Tanach in Memory of Avi West, Z"L – Please join a Siyum Tanach for our friend and mentor, to be completed by his Yahrzeit, August 22, 2022, 25 Av, 5782. Learning from Chumash has been subscribed. There are a number of sections remaining in Neviim and Kesuvim. Sign up for as many as you wish and please share this info. with others who may be interested in joining this learning. Sign up at http://hadranalach.com/2090
Save the Date! Nach Yomi Siyum – Sunday, January 16, hosted by SEHC and WSAT. Many women in the local area are poised to complete the OU Women's Initiative Torat Imecha Nach Yomi cycle. This first-time event is a culmination of an intensive two-year, daily, chapter-by-chapter, learning program of all Nevi'im and Ketuvim. The OU Women's Initiative will be celebrating a Siyum in New York. We are excited to be hosting a local Siyum at SEHC, in White Oak, starting at 11:30 AM, with a Zoom option. The celebration will continue with a livestream of the New York event at 1:00 PM. This event is open to all women and girls of the Greater Washington & Silver Spring communities. Light lunch provided.
Parsha Explorations with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Presented by the Greater Washington Community Kollel and Kemp Mill Synagogue, Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM at KMS and on Zoom, Meeting ID: 655 813 1022, Passcode: 365636. For men and women.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Birkat Hamazon with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Navigating the Dating Experience – The Shidduch Spot of Greater Washington presents a series of talks to enhance the dating journey, featuring Rachel Burnham, Shidduch Dating Coach for Marriage-Minded Singles. Wednesday, January 5, 8:30 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 776 143 4208, password 613613.
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact email@example.com, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more info.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online weekdays via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM. Shabbos in-person at 7:30 AM in the YISE Social Hall.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Monday, January 3 – Rosh Chodesh
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 6:02 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 6:30 AM, Latest Netz: 7:28 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:49 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:46 PM, Earliest Shkia: 4:57 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 5:47 PM
January 7 – 8, 2022 – 6 Shevat 5782
* Light Candles by 4:43
* Mincha: 4:45 (B), 4:35 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 4:40 (B), 4:35 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 5:47
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, January 5 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Friday: 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office