Included in the PDF are the Israel Report, Hammayan and Likutei Torah, all of which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Gadols
April 3 – 4, 2020 – 10 Nissan 5780 – Parshas Tzav/Shabbos HaGadol
Light Candles by 7:16 – Havdalah 8:16
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Ruthie & David Rider on the 34th Yahrzeit of Ruthie’s mother, Chaya Bayla Necha bat Chaim Z”L.
* Bobbi & Jules Meisler and Naomi & Jan Meisler on the engagement of their granddaughter and niece, Nechama Elisheva, daughter of Sara & Marc Meisler of Baltimore, to Yisroel Zalman Weiner, son of Miriam Esther & Shammai Weiner of Providence, Rhode Island. Mazal Tov to her siblings, Esti, Shoshana, and Devorah & Dovid Chaim and to cousins Esther, Nossi and Chaya.
* Adina Neumann on the passing of her father, Judah Goldwasser. Adina and her sister, Chava Elbaum, will be accepting calls Motzei Shabbos, 8:30 PM – 10:00 PM, Sunday/Monday: 9:00 AM – 12 Noon, 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM and 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM. Please contact either of them for the Zoom ID. Adina: email@example.com 301-957-0459 (cell), Chava: firstname.lastname@example.org 301-592-1545 (home); 301-580-4403 (cell). Mishnayos signup at https://www.lzechernishmas.com/signup.php?id=7301
* All public activities at YISE are cancelled, including Minyanim, Youth Groups, Shiurim and special events.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
* Please continue to be vigilant regarding matters of personal hygiene as previously advised. If you are unwell, please do not enter the Shul or other public places. We urge you to adhere to all medical advice you may receive regarding self-quarantine.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep us all in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Note that Davening times are listed for reference so that people may Daven at the same time as others. There are no Minyanim at YISE at this time. Friday Night:
* Light Candles by 7:16, and not before Plag, 6:14
* Mincha: Ashkenazi: 7:20 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
If you Daven Kabbalos Shabbos/Maariv prior to Shkia (7:34 PM), it is preferable to Daven Mincha prior to Plag (6:14 PM).
* Shacharis: Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:15
Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Shabbos HaGadol Drasha is available online at wp.yise.org/shabbos-hagadol
* Shabbos ends: 8:16
Recite Kiddush Levanah Motzei Shabbos.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list, go to https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays (except Yom Tov), 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, will resume April 22.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, will resume April 22.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact email@example.com, will resume April 21.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM, will resume April 19.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361, will resume April 20.
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver. For more information, please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: email@example.com or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org, will resume April 21.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, will resume April 21.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for men and women, "Haggadah Lessons", Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, Zoom B.
For Zoom, go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call in using the listed number:
* Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, phone 301-715-8592
* Zoom B: ID: 528 751 585
Pesach Is Coming…
Mechiras Chametz – Online at www.yise.org/chametz
Seder for Newbies – online with Rabbi Silver, Sunday, April 5, 8:00 PM on Zoom A.
Siyum – Wednesday, April 8, 7:00 AM, 8:00 AM and 9:00 AM on Zoom A. One should eat immediately following the Siyum. Destroying Chametz – Though the ideal manner to dispose of one's Chametz from the Bedikah is burning it, one may also destroy it through other means. There is not a communal Chametz burning planned for this year. If one finds it difficult to burn the Chametz on his/her own one may break it up into small pieces and flush down the toilet before the time published for destroying Chametz.
Chametz Garbage – If one has Chametz in the garbage that is not scheduled to be picked up before Pesach begins one should ideally drop it off at the Chametz Dumpster at the shul (not the shul's regular Dumpster) no later than Tuesday night. If that is challenging this year, one may pour some bleach into the Chametz garbage before the time published for destroying chametz, thereby rendering it unfit for consumption and no longer classified as Chametz. Either way, it is wise to keep Chametz garbage separate from the rest following the last pickup before Pesach.
YISE Programs and Listings
Conversations in Coping – Join 3 of our esteemed local therapists for practical skills on maintaining sanity during coronavirus, online, Zoom A listed above. Dr. Howie Schulman, Monday, April 13, 8:00 PM. See flyer for details.
Camp Shomrai 2020 is open for registration! Programs for campers entering 2-year-old Preschool through 9th grade. Camp Dates: Monday, June 29 – Thursday, August 13. Register online at https://campshomrai.campapplications.com For more information contact Sarah Dollman at email@example.com
YISE Programs and Listings
Shomrai Preschool 2020-2021 – Online registration is now open for children ages 2 to 5 years old with customizable extended care options from 7:30 AM to 6:00 PM. Visit preschool.yise.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to schedule a tour. Ask about our special, deeply reduced tuition for incoming 2-year-olds!
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Community Programs & Listings
Virtual Religion: Halachic Perspectives on Telepresence – a virtual Lunch & Learn with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman. Monday, April 6, 12 Noon, Zoom – Meeting ID: 746 455 2195, call in 301-715-8592
Making A Great Solo Seder- Presented by Rebbetzin Chani Silver, Rebbetzin of the Young Israel of Greater Pittsburgh. Sunday, April 5, 5:00 PM, https://join.freeconferencecall.com/bhammer8 or dial in 978-990-5000, access code: 690709#. For more information or to ask questions for Rebbetzin Silver, email email@example.com A program of the National Council of Young Israel.
HaMizrachi Pesach 5780 – Download and print at www.rza.org/hamizrachipesach
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Free Webinar on Job Search – Wednesday, April 8, 12 Noon, on networking. For more information, please visit https://www.sixfigurestart.com/about/upcoming-events/
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 7:00 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM, Friday 5:45 PM.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, April 22, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841
Partners in Tefillah matches people with others in need of similar assistance from Hashem. The feedback we have received so far has been amazing. You, too, can Daven for someone else in the community and have them Daven for you. May Hashem answer all your prayers. Please visit www.yadyehuda.org/partners-in-tefillah to learn more and to sign up.
Community Helping Community: Yad Yehuda’s COVID-19 Crisis Relief – During this crisis, previously financially stable households in our community are already experiencing financial challenges. Yad Yehuda is receiving many more assistance requests than usual. With Pesach coming soon, we expect that to increase. Community financial donations are critical now. Please make an additional donation to Yad Yehuda today to help us address this unforeseen need at www.yadyehuda.org/donate
A COVID-19 Telephone Assistance Hotline is now available at 301-494-1010, Sunday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM. When you call, one of our dedicated Yad Yehuda volunteers will answer questions and help connect you with resources in the Jewish community and the area at large. If the volunteer is unable to answer your issue or question, they will, IY"H, ensure that someone gets back to you in a timely manner. Our friendly volunteers are there to help and will do so with the utmost discretion and privacy. Please visit www.yadyehuda.org/covid19 for additional and updated information.
Capital Kosher Pantry: Annual Chometz-Be-Gone Drive – As you clean your home for Pesach, please donate unwanted Chometz to the Capital Kosher Pantry. Food should be shelf-stable, in sealed containers, well within the sell-by date and have kosher certification. Please deposit food in our collection bins located outside KMS, YISE and the Woodside Shul; in Shalom Kosher and Moti's Market; and outside our Pantry at 1910 University Blvd West. All bins are checked daily. Please do not bring any Chometz after April 7.
The Franco Foundation – Helping the community from within the community. The Foundation helps our community’s needy all year long, and distributes more around Pesach to cover additional expenses. It is distributing assistance through Shalom scrip as well as financial assistance. If you know of a family or individual that requires assistance for Pesach or is in a financial bind, please contact the Foundation at its email address, below. Your suggestion will remain anonymous. Please send your generous tax-deductible donation to: The Franco Foundation/613 Bromley Street/Silver Spring, MD 20902, or through PayPal, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
No Minyanim will take place at YISE next week. You are encouraged to Daven at home at your regular Minyan time. Mincha was scheduled for April 5 – 7 at 7:25 PM (Ashkenazi)/7:20 PM (Sephardi). In addition to Shiurim listed above, conference calls are scheduled with Rabbi Rosenbaum for Tehillim and a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha in the mornings (Sunday 9:00 AM, Monday through Friday 8:30 AM) and for Tehillim and a 15-minute Shiur on Hilchos Pesach in the evenings (Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM) using Zoom A listed above.
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:52 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:53 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:44 PM
Sunday, April 5 Seder for Newbies, 8:00 PM
Monday. April 13 Conversations in Coping, 8:00 PM
April 8 – 16, 2020, 15 – 22 Nissan 5780
Full schedule will be available soon. Erev Pesach times:
* Finish eating Chametz by 10:33 AM
* Recite Kol Chamira by 11:51 AM
* Light Candles 7:21 PM
* Seder starts after 8:20 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Tuesday, April 7 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to:
email@example.com Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office
Fax: 301-593-2330 Eruv line: 301-593-5561
E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.yise.org
Office Hours: Monday – Tuesday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Wednesday – Friday – Closed for Pesach
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager