Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
March 18 – 19, 2022 – 16 Adar II 5782 – Tzav
Light Candles by 7:00 – Havdalah 7:59
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Manasseh Katz in gratitude to Hashem and thanks to his wife, his not-so-evil twin, Rabbi Rosenbaum, Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, all the doctors and nurses at George Washington University Hospital and all the other friends and family who helped in so many ways in his recent (not related in any way to COVID-19) illness.
* Vivian & Arnie Kirshenbaum on the birth of a greatgranddaughter, Batsheva Malka, born to Bailey & Yakov Maler of Lincolnwood, Illinois. Mazal Tov to grandparents Shanie & Billy Bokor and Haskell Garfinkel.
* Rebbetzin Atara & Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum on the Bar Mitzvah of their son Yosef, Mazal Tov to grandparents Judy & Rabbi Roy Rosenbaum and Sarah & Emil Braun and to siblings Gedaliah, Moshe, Rachel, and Miriam.
* Kitty Wertheimer on the marriage of her grandson, Ari Wertheimer, son of Irene & Barry Wertheimer, to Mollie Markowitz, daughter of Suri & David Markowitz. The wedding took place on Sunday, March 13, in Miami. Mazal Tov also to siblings and the extended family.
* Bertha Spiro on the passing of her sister, Fannie Lapidoth. Bertha is observing Shiva at her home, 11212 Healy Street, through Sunday morning.
Minyan locations are listed as B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall. LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis Medrash
* Light Candles by 7:00, and not before 6:02
* Mincha: 5:45 (Plag, B), 7:00 (B), 6:50 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen Minyan, SBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 6:55 (B), 6:50 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 7:59
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Rabbi Postelnek
* Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by the Weill family L'ilui Nishmat Harav Avigdor Ben Eliezer Chanoch, Z"L, Rabbi Avigdor Weill, whose Yahrzeit is 16 Adar II.
* 8:45/9:15/Sephardic Minyan/Teen Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by Rebbetzin Atara & Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum in honor of the Bar Mitzvah of their son Yosef.
YISE Youth Announcements
Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, March 19, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends. Age 18-36 months (Mommy & me) in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 2-5 years (drop off) in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk over to the Yeshiva. For more information, contact Talya Miller, YISE Youth groups coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org
From Kemp Mill to the IDF – Hear from two different Kemp Mill residents who are now serving in the Israel Defense Forces. Sunday, March 27, 1:30 PM on Zoom A. RSVP very helpful but not required email@example.com See flyer for details.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 6:30 PM (note new time), Zoom A, will resume Monday, March 21.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A, will resume Sunday, March 27.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A, will resume Wednesday, April 27.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Hillel Shaps – Unraveling the Navi: Melachim Aleph
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info., contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara – in person (Social Hall) and on Zoom F.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom D.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom H.
* For Women – Zoom I
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Sefer Bereishis
* SCP (Semichat Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM. A new semester began on October 19. Join the fastest growing Halacha learning program in the world! Now back in person at YISE. Register at gwckollel.org/scp
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:20 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Mondays at 9:00 AM, studying Parashas Hashavua, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", Zoom E.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Kama 7th Perek Merubah. Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM, Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom E: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom F: ID: 349 754 2180, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Zoom I: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
YISE Programs and Listings
Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura – A weekly Chabura in the Nesivos Shalom on the Parsha. Delve into the deeper dimensions of the Parsha and Holidays by learning the Nesivos Shalom's weekly insights. Begins at 8:55 AM Shabbos mornings in the Social Hall. This week's Shiur will be given by Rabbi Postelnek.
Purim Spiel – Purim is over but you're not quite ready for Pesach? Join us for the 2022 YISE Purim Spiel at https://wp.yise.org/spiel
Shatzer Matzah – Order Matzah at https://www.yise.org/matzah Regular, Whole Wheat, Spelt or Oat Shmurah Matzah – $29.00 per pound. Order by March 28, 12 Noon. Pickup at YISE – details to be determined – watch your email for details.
Seeing the Hand of Hashem…In Nature – A lecture series presented by the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project. Second lecture, "In Human Biology and Physiology," Dr. Aaron Cypess from NIH will speak about "The Science Behind Asher Yatzar, the Most Frequently Recited Bracha," Sunday, March 27, 8:00 PM on Zoom. See flyer for details. Previous lectures are posted on yise.org
GWCK Shabbos of Inspiration at YISE! April 1 – 2. Tefillos led by singer Uri Davidi, Divrei Torah and lectures by GWCK Scholars, Community Friday night dinner and Oneg Shabbos. Dinner registration at http://gwckollel.org/shabbaton See flyer for more details.
Nominations Open – The YISE Nominating Committee will be preparing a slate of officers and directors to be voted on at the Shul's annual election meeting in May. Nominations and self-nominations may be submitted to email@example.com through April 1.
Do a Mitzvah! Join our park cleanup any time on Sunday, April 3, 11:30 AM – 1:30 PM! Meet at the steps near CVS in the Kemp Mill Park. Bags, gloves, and t-shirts will be distributed. Upper School students can receive community service hours. Great for all ages! Good Deeds Day 2022 is produced in partnership with The Jewish Federation. Our park cleanup project is organized by Chabad of Silver Spring, KMS, Ohr HaTorah, YISE, Berman, TSGW, YGW Boys' MS, and Ben Yehuda Pizza in conjunction with Montgomery Parks. Volunteers will receive a discount voucher for Ben Yehuda Pizza to be used on April 3. Volunteers needed to hand out t-shirts, gloves, and bags. For more information, contact: Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Come Join Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee: Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, April 4, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
Ask the Rabbi – Come join our virtual, interactive monthly program featuring different Halachic Topics! This month's topic: Pesach. The first hour is for Shailos submitted in advance and the last 30 minutes is for Q & A. Times may vary depending on Shailos. Send in your questions about Pesach to: AskTheRabbi@yise.org by Sunday, April 3. Tuesday, April 5, 8:15 PM – 9:45 PM on Zoom A. For more information and to submit questions by phone or anonymously, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org To sponsor the program, please contact the YISE office.
Kashrus in the Kitchen – Learn the background and practical laws of Kashrus. Tuesdays, 8:15 PM – 9:00 PM, at the home of David & Tamara Goodman: 11611 Kemp Mill Road. Masks optional. Given by Rabbi Postelnek. For questions or to join the WhatsApp group, contact Rabbi Postelnek at 571-340-0227 or email@example.com Recordings available at https://wp.yise.org/kashrus-kitchen
Coping with Memory Loss – Please reserve Sunday, March 27, 11:00 AM, for a virtual panel discussion: Diagnosing, Treating, and Providing Care at Different Stages. Dr. Lynn Deutsch (geriatric psychiatrist); Mary Ann Buckley (care manager); Karen Miller (recreation activities specialist); a caregiver; and YISE's Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum. This is part of Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington's Healthy Communities Initiative. See flyer for details.
Volunteers Are Needed Weekly to help with Kiddushes. If you can help, please contact Simi Franco at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593-4465 x403.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
Please email email@example.com to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to the Shiurim Sponsors for this Past Week:
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in memory of Rabbi Hyatt, Z"L, and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur.
* Chani & Jay Parness in memory of Rabbi Hyatt, Z"L.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Shabbos Morning Drasha
* Simi & Sammy Franco in honor of Yosef Rosenbaum's Bar Mitzvah and wishing a Mazal Tov to Rabbi & Mrs. Dovid Rosenbaum and Rabbi & Mrs. Roy Rosenbaum.
* Jeffrey & Sharon Augenbaum and family L'ilui Nishmas Moshe Yosef Ben Aron Yaakov, Murray Augenbaum, on the Shloshim of his Petira.
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
* The YISE Board has mandated that everyone 16 and older who is medically eligible for an FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 in order to enter the Shul building.
* Masks are now optional for adults and children.
* There are no social distancing requirements in the YISE building.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Community Programs & Listings
Premarital Counseling: Building the Foundation For a Happy Home – Fostering and Facilitating Good Communication Before Marriage. Presented by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington. Speakers: Richard "Pinny" Roth and Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. A free educational event for men and women of all ages and stages via Zoom. Sunday, March 20, 11:00 AM. A program of the BCGW Healthy Communities Initiative. Register at: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZMsc-2vqT4vGN0HMf2tzc4ybwqq6wiezpeE
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, March 23, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Linda Silverman Kahan 10th Yahrzeit Memorial Lecture and Brunch – Featuring Guest Speaker Eliot Cohen, Starting with Shylock: How Shakespeare Teaches Empathy. Sunday, March 27, 10:00 AM – 11:30 AM. For more information and to register, visit https://www.sulam.org/lkm22
A Night of Unity and Song – The Torah School of Greater Washington invites all women and girls of the Greater Washington and Baltimore communities to join us for a for an evening of music and inspiration, Sunday, March 27, 7:00 PM, at Berman Hebrew Academy. Renowned music stars Shaindy Plotzker and Aliza Loeb will perform, along with the Shiras Hayam Girls Choir. For tickets and sponsorship opportunities, please visit: www.tsgw.org/nightofunity
Siyum Tanach for our friend and mentor Avi West, Z"L, is almost completely (91%) signed-up. Small portions of Tehillim and Yirmiya remain. The target completion date is the yahrzeit, August 22, 2022, 25 Av, 5782. Sign up and let your friends know at http://hadranalach.com/2090
Women's Online Shiur with Rabbi Yehoshua Levy- Free 1-hour shiur on Zoom on the first and third Sundays of each month at 8:00 PM (NEW TIME). Topic: Eishet Hayil, with principles from Mesilat Yesharim and weekly Sidra. In English. All levels of ability are welcome. You needn't attend every Shiur, but RSVPs are requested. Contact Shiur Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT"L, with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Dirshu- Please join Dirshu as it began Bava Metzia on December 20. Shiur options at YGW: Monday – Friday, 5:45 AM (R. Reingold) or Monday – Thursday, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM (R. Cortell/R. Werner). About 2.5 Daf covered each week.
Parsha Explorations with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Presented by the Greater Washington Community Kollel and Kemp Mill Synagogue, Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM at KMS and on Zoom, Meeting ID: 655 813 1022, Passcode: 365636. For men and women.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Birkat Hamazon with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email email@example.com
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more info.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at email@example.com
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online weekdays via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM. Shabbos in-person at 7:30 AM in the YISE Social Hall.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 5:52 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 6:20 AM, Latest Netz: 7:12 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 10:08 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:47 PM, Earliest Shkia: 7:20 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 8:06 PM
March 25 – 26, 2022 – 23 Adar II 5782
Parshas Shemini/Parah/Mevorchim Hachodesh
* Light Candles by 7:07
* Mincha: 5:50 (Plag, B), 7:10 (B), 7:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 7:00 (B), 7:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 8:06
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, March 23 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Friday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager