Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
November 5 – 6, 2021 – 2 Kislev 5782 – Toldos
Light Candles by 5:44 – Havdalah 6:44
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Marilyn & Morris Edeson in honor of their 59th wedding anniversary on November 4, and by Sheila Gaisin & family to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Allen's mother, Sophia Gaisin, Sara Gittel Bas Avraham, Z"L, on the 7th of Kislev.
• Tenise & Joel Becker on the birth of a granddaughter, Bracha Charna, to their children Yitzi & Hadassah Becker of Betar, and to siblings Avigayel, Shua, Shmuel Tzvi, Kalman, Esti, and Manny. Mazal Tov to Tanta Linda & Uncle Ed Zurndorfer.
* Moshe & Batsheva Broder on the birth of a son. Mazal Tov to big sisters, Serena and Emma, grandparents Fran & Alan Broder and Itty & Nathan Willner and great-grandparents Marilyn & Sol Broder and Glicka Creeger.
* Gigi & Jerry Kaminetzky of Boca Raton, FL, on the engagement of their granddaughter, Jessica Kaminetzky, daughter of Anna & Shimon Kaminetzky of Atlanta, GA, to Yehuda Ordan, son of Deborah & Rabbi David Ordan of Milwaukee, WI.
* Karen & Howie Schulman on the engagement of their granddaughter Kayla Kramer, daughter of Miri & Rabbi Danny Kramer to Eli Waxman, son of Larisa & Rob Waxman. Mazal Tov to greatgrandmother Florence Binstock Avigan, grandparents Marcia Meth, Faina Kimelfeld, and Martin Waxman and to all of the siblings, aunts, uncles & cousins.
* Miri & Rabbi Yoni Schick on the birth of a granddaughter to their children Gitty & Nachi Schick of Manchester Township, NJ. Mazal Tov also to great-grandparents Miriam & Rabbi Dr. Allen Schick of Woodside.
Minyan locations are listed as B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall. LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis Medrash.
* Light Candles by 5:44
* Mincha: 5:45 (B), 5:35 (Sephardi, LBM), Ruach (S)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen Minyan, SBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:40 (B), 5:35 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 6:44
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Rabbi Postelnek
* Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 and 9:15 Kiddush in a Bag is sponsored by Helene Zeltser and family in honor of the engagement of her grandson, Sam Berman, son of Dr. Lori Zeltser & Len Berman, to Alexandra Schreiber of NY.
Fall Back to Standard Time
Don't forget to change your clocks Motzei Shabbos.
* The YISE Board has mandated that everyone 16 and older who is medically eligible for an FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 in order to enter the Shul building.
* Effective Friday afternoon, November 5, masks are required only for those who are not fully vaccinated, including children age 2 – 15.
* There are no social distancing requirements in the YISE building. There are no in-person Kiddushes at this time.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday 7:30 PM, Zoom A, will not take place Monday, November 8.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Hillel Shaps – Unraveling the Navi: Melachim Aleph
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more information, contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara – in person (Social Hall) and on Zoom F.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom D.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom H.
* For Women, Zoom I
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Sefer Bereishis
* SCP (Semichat Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM. A new semester began on October 19. Join the fastest growing Halacha learning program in the world! Now back in person at YISE. Register at gwckollel.org/scp
* Rabbi Yehoushua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:20 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Monday – Parasha, Tuesday – Halachos, 8:45 AM, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", Zoom E.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Kama 7th Perek Merubah. Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM, Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom E: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom F: ID: 349 754 2180, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Zoom I: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
YISE Youth Announcements
Shabbos Groups will take place this Shabbos, November 6, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends, indoors. Masks required indoors for age 2+. Age 18-36 months (Mommy and me) will be located in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 2-5 years (drop off) will meet in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk over to the Yeshiva. For more information, contact Michal Merkin, YISE Youth groups coordinator, at email@example.com
A Bikur Cholim Arts Experience with Mrs. Marilyn Fine on Sunday, November 7, at 1:00 PM in the Social Hall. Come create a very special jigsaw puzzle for a child who is ill. For grades 2-5. Admission charge: A contribution of any amount to Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington. Snack to go! See flyer for details.
YISE Programs and Listings
The Ruach Minyan is back! This Shabbos, November 5, in the Social Hall following Mincha at 5:45pm in the Belonofsky Sanctuary. Led by Rabbi Postelnek. Sponsored by Aaron and Emma Lash in memory of Emma's father, David Murray. While there will be no children's program, all are welcome to attend! Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Weekday Maariv – 7:30 PM, Monday through Thursday, starting Monday, November 8, in the Belonofsky Sanctuary.
The Last Selection: A Child's Journey Through the Holocaust with Mrs. Golda Kalib – Monday, November 8, 7:30 PM on Zoom A. Presented by YISE and KMS in commemoration of Kristallnacht. See flyer for details.
The Laws and Lessons of Shemitta – Sundays at 8:15 PM on Zoom A. Join us in learning about Shemitta in the last of a 4-part series with Rabbi Rosenbaum and Rabbi Postelnek, November 14. Recordings of the first three Shiurim are available at https://wp.yise.org/shemitta See flyer for details.
Ask the Rabbi: Chanukah – Tuesday, November 23, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM on Zoom A. Send in your questions about Chanukah to AskTheRabbi@yise.org by Sunday, November 21. For more information and to submit questions by phone or anonymously, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com See flyer for details.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim and Parsha Shiur – Videos of past Shiurim are now available at https://wp.yise.org/parsha
Kiddush in a Bag! While we are not yet back to regular in-Shul Kiddushes, we are happy to now offer Kiddush in a Bag for the 8:45 and 9:15 Minyanim. To sponsor the Kiddush in a Bag, contact Simi Franco at firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteers Are Needed Weekly to help assemble Kiddush in a Bag. If you can help please contact Simi Franco at email@example.com or 301-593-4465 x403.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax-deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
* Iris & Adam Bashein on their 17th wedding anniversary, Rosh Chodesh Kislev.
* Happy upcoming birthday to our buddy, Buddy Blum! With love and best wishes from your buddies.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to the Shiurim sponsors for this Past Week:
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in honor of a Refuah Sheleimah to Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Debra & Jacob Frenkel to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Jacob's father, HaRav Mayer Azriel Zelig Ben Yaakov Elazar HaLevi, ZT"L.
* Tsipi & Jerry Hawk to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Jerry's father, Tzvi Elazar Ben Harav Yeshaya, Z"L.
8:45 Minyan Shabbos Drasha
* The Franco Family to commemorate the second Yahrzeit of their beloved husband, father, grandfather and great-grandfather, Nathan S. Franco, Nissim Ben Shmuel v'Rachel, Z"L. The foundation he created for his family and this community will never be forgotten!
Community Programs & Listings
Condolences to former YISE member Monica Luxenburg on the passing of her mother, Rachelle Fall. The funeral took place on Tuesday. Shiva is being observed at 902 Holborn Street, Friday and Sunday, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM, and Sunday 5:00 PM – 7:30 PM. Shiva will be observed on Motzei Shabbos at 7517 Slade Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21208, 7:00 PM – 9:30 PM.
Berman Hebrew Academy Virtual Introduction to Middle School – Sunday, November 7, 8:00 PM. We are also welcoming vaccinated families for in-person tours and are hosting student visits for vaccinated students. RSVP for Zoom at https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZ0ldu2sqDgpE9fxGgl1rinOfdG0V0y8oz3N We can't wait to meet your family!
Annual 50+ Expo – A free virtual Expo for people over 50, with resources from government agencies, non-profits and area businesses, as well as dozens of useful classes, speakers and entertainment, is available 24/7 at beacon50expo.com Visit as often as you like; register to be eligible for door prizes. For more info, contact email@example.com
Eruv Appeal 2021 – Silver Spring Eruv Association's 2021 Annual Appeal for funds to support operation of the White Oak-Northwood-Kemp Mill Eruv is happening now. Requested donation is $54 per household; larger or smaller gratefully accepted. Three ways to donate: PayPal to SilverSpringEruv@gmail.com or at www.yise.org/eruv; Venmo to @SilverSpringEruv; by check payable to SSEA, mailed to 707 Lamberton Drive, Silver Spring, MD 20902. Details and more info are in the postal appeal or can be found at www.yise.org/eruv
Taharas Hamishpacha Refresher Course – 6 week online course offered by the Robin Niman Mikvah Education Fund, beginning the first week in November, taught by Mrs. Chayie Chinn. Registration will be available beginning Monday, October 25, on www.mikvahemunah.com
Please STAY HOME in support of The Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington – Supporting our non-event helps MES reach its fundraising goals, ensuring we have finances to run our community Mikvah. In lieu of an event, donors of $180 or more will receive a specially selected book. Place an ad in our online journal to show your support. The event is fake… the needs are real! RSVP at https://mikvahemunah.com/
Learning Tanach in Memory of Avi West, Z"L – Please join a Siyum Tanach for our friend and mentor, to be completed by his Yahrzeit, August 22, 2022 (25 Av, 5782). Please sign up for as many sections as you wish, from Chumash, Neviim and Kesuvim. Share this information with others who may be interested in joining this learning. Go to http://hadranalach.com/2090 to sign up.
The Capital Closet of Yad Yehuda (formerly the Clothing Exchange) has available hours for all members of the community to shop at no cost this Sunday, November 7, from 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM, at 1910 University Blvd. West.. This is an opportunity for everyone to come and shop for beautiful, Tzanua clothing in our well-equipped showroom. Everyone must be in good health and not have been in contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19. If you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Annual Coat Drive – Help Yad Yehuda assist local Jewish households by donating NEW winter coats and jackets. Men's, women's and children's coats are needed. We're accepting NEW coats and jackets ONLY (unclean or old coats will be disposed of at Yad Yehuda's expense). Coats may be purchased online and shipped directly to us, or dropped off at Yad Yehuda, 1910 University Blvd W, Silver Spring, MD 20902. For a donation receipt, email email@example.com For more information go to www.yadyehuda.org/coat-drive
Parsha Explorations with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Presented by the Greater Washington Community Kollel and Kemp Mill Synagogue, Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM at KMS and on Zoom, Meeting ID: 655 813 1022, Passcode: 365636. For men and women.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Birkat Hamazon with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, November 10, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
In Their Footsteps: Life Lessons From Our Patriarchs and Matriarchs – Wednesdays, 8:00 PM on Zoom F. Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. Series began October 13. Register at https://linksgw.org/classes
Navigating the Dating Experience – The Shidduch Spot of Greater Washngton presents a series of talks to enhance the dating journey, featuring Rachel Burnham, Shidduch Dating Coach for Marriage-Minded Singles. December 8 and January 5 on Zoom, Meeting ID: 776 143 4208, password 613613. Each session starts at 8:30 PM.
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more info.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at email@example.com
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 5:26 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 5:54 AM, Latest Netz: 6:50 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:17 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:23 PM, Earliest Shkia: 4:55 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 5:43 PM
November 12 – 13, 2021 – 9 Kislev 5782
* Light Candles by 4:38
* Mincha: 4:40 (B), 4:30 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 4:35 (B), 4:30 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 5:38
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, November 10 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Friday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager